Yoshida

9-3

Anyone going to take me up on my request for examples of definitively reserve-list centre-backs at clubs our size or smaller who are better than Yoshida?

Stoke (wollscheid/muniesa)

West Ham (Ogbonna/Collins)

Everton (Funes Mori)

I could make cases for others but they wouldn't be as clear cut as the ones above

• 2 weeks later...

I don't buy the argument that Yoshida is playing out of position which is why he has been poor. The mistakes he has made this season have looked likely every time he has played for us. We are talking about poor footballing mistakes, lack of awareness mostly. You can't say things like poor back passes are down to the fact he is playing out of position - it's a simple footballing technique. He has a distinct lack of awareness of failing to pick up runners and he hardly bombs forward at fullback anyway, So if he is not offering a threat going forward he should get his defensive basics right. The bloke is a lost cause even at back up. I would rather give one of the young lads like Josh Debayo a run out at full back than play someone who time after time looks like he is going to cost us - and usually does

• 1 month later...
Ron has nailed it. He needs to work on his concentration and awareness. He has got a good attitude but attitude is one thing, application another.

Concentration and awareness are skills that can be developed but they aren't something guaranteed to improve if you work on them. Some players just have low concentration and awareness. Tactical nous and the ability to understand situations and what is expected of you in those circumstances are traits high up on the list that Saints (and most other clubs) look for in any new players.

Concentration can certainly be improved, ask any psychologist, it's just some need to work on it more than others. Awareness is more difficult and harder to quantify. It is also linked to experience and instinct which is learnt over time and general confidence of ones ability. Some people are also worse at visualising and this may be Maya. If he struggles to use imagery and is more inclined to learn by doing/drilling or being taught by process or stages this may go some way to explaining why he is not aware of situations as the game of football it is extremely fast and fluid and game situations are rarely the same. In something like American football where you learn step by step plays he may be perfect everytime. Great to hear a pro saying he knows he has to improve though!

Yoshida is an international good player and great club servant he plays in any position asked from him and never makes a fuss when not selected there are few players of his calibre that would accept this

We need to be grateful he is loyal and support him and help his confidence under difficult circumstances rather than continuously blame him

Ron sees this clearly and I trust his judgement

No one is saying that Yoshi hasn't been a good servant to the club, as was Frannie Benali. The problem is that if we are aspiring to be a "best of the rest" club then we cant afford to have players in the team who give away goals cheaply. Unfortunately Yoshi gets blamed continuously because he makes many unforced errors. It was really good to see him score and have a decent game the other day but he really does need to sharpen up consistently. I really don't think many, if any, other Prem sides would come in for him if he was up for sale right now.

Hard for him to be consistent when he's so inconsistently in the team though. Whenever he's had a run in the team he's been reliable, never set the world alight but then if he did he'd be first choice, not cover. Obviously, he's not as good as our first choice but no player plays their best football when they're played out of position once every six games.

Anyone going to take me up on my request for examples of definitively reserve-list centre-backs at clubs our size or smaller who are better than Yoshida?

Caulker? :D

The list of clubs our size or smaller in the Prem isn't THAT big to begin with, so even if there's a list containing every backup Prem defender from teams below us it's not going to have more than about 20 people on it.

Excellent piece in the Echo from Maya , Basically saying he knows he makes silly mistakes and he feels he still has a lot to prove to us fans and coaching staff ! Comes across as a really decent bloke imo I Hove Victor got him his Krispy Cremes ! http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14264412.Yoshida_out_to_prove_a_point/

"“[i need to make] fewer easy mistakes and more concentration for 90 minutes and he (Koeman) said I need to improve concentration,” he explained.

“I have two or three times made a very easy mistake, careless mistakes during the game, so I need to decrease those kind of mistakes.

“Then I will be a much better player.”

Can't argue with him there.

Hard for him to be consistent when he's so inconsistently in the team though. Whenever he's had a run in the team he's been reliable, never set the world alight but then if he did he'd be first choice, not cover. Obviously, he's not as good as our first choice but no player plays their best football when they're played out of position once every six games.

But there is a big difference to playing to Premiership standard and giving away several poor goals. We pay these guys a lot of money to be able to come on and do a job. If they cant we need to find those who can. If you aim to be competitive there is no point in having a quality first team if the back up players aren't up to it.

I'd be very surprised if, given our newfound tendency towards 3 CBs and wide defensive-minded midfielders (or wing-backs if you like), we don't sign either a left-sided CB or a left-sided wing-back type player in the summer. Bertrand/Targett have done well at LCB and LWB but once one of them is out we immediately look weaker.

Concentration and awareness are skills that can be developed but they aren't something guaranteed to improve if you work on them. Some players just have low concentration and awareness. Tactical nous and the ability to understand situations and what is expected of you in those circumstances are traits high up on the list that Saints (and most other clubs) look for in any new players.

Always felt Glenn Johnson was the epitome of that.

I'd be very surprised if, given our newfound tendency towards 3 CBs and wide defensive-minded midfielders (or wing-backs if you like), we don't sign either a left-sided CB or a left-sided wing-back type player in the summer. Bertrand/Targett have done well at LCB and LWB but once one of them is out we immediately look weaker.

I agree; Bruno Martin Indi or Terence Kongolo??

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
He was superb last night and agree with the views that he has shone in the squad rotation system which has given him more games and cut out the mistakes. His ball out to Bertrand for the first goal was great as well.

Yup, he's really stepped up this season and reduced his errors after some typical dodginess in the first couple of games - maybe he knows Fonte's on his way out (whether by transfer or due to age) and thinks he can make his mark?

I love the behind angle video of that pass where you can see VVD applauding the pass!

Yes I noted that also. VVD does so much communicating during games it's fanratsic. Constantly calling over to the fullbacks encouraging and alerting to be in better positions. The guy has the lot. The best centre back in the league bar none now on current form.

That marauding run into the Arsenal box in the first half.... blimey! We've been very blessed in defence in recent years.

There is a large group of divs who sit in block 18 chapel that spend all game insulting and swearing at Yoshida, then turning around to each other to clap themselves on the back about how good their last insult was... obviously only when he's playing.

Its a real shame we have fans who'd rather insult the players than support the team, especially given Yoshi has been a great squad player for us over the years and is always there to do a job. Once he gets a run of games he settles down and proves he can play.

There is a large group of divs who sit in block 18 chapel that spend all game insulting and swearing at Yoshida, then turning around to each other to clap themselves on the back about how good their last insult was... obviously only when he's playing.

Its a real shame we have fans who'd rather insult the players than support the team, especially given Yoshi has been a great squad player for us over the years and is always there to do a job. Once he gets a run of games he settles down and proves he can play.

Took a friend to Arsenal for her first ever football game. Her first observation was how strange it was that the fans were insulting their own players.

Took a friend to Arsenal for her first ever football game. Her first observation was how strange it was that the fans were insulting their own players.

There was an abnormal amount of Neanderthals at that game so I'm sure there was probably more insulting of our own players than usual.

Excellent piece in the Echo from Maya , Basically saying he knows he makes silly mistakes and he feels he still has a lot to prove to us fans and coaching staff ! Comes across as a really decent bloke imo I Hove Victor got him his Krispy Cremes ! http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14264412.Yoshida_out_to_prove_a_point/

I feel sorry for Maya because there are plenty on here who have done nothing but slag him off from Day 1. It seems a section of the so-called fan base needs a whipping boy to blame for all our failures. Most players make howlers during a match but these fans let it pass by especially if it's one of their favourite players but not so for poor old Maya who gets abuse on here almost weekly. It is naive to think he doesn't get to read what fans are saying and constant negativity towards him must have an impact on the player on the pitch and emotionally. Time now for all these people to get off his back and recognise that the is one hell of a good player and we are lucky indeed to have a guy of his talent prepared to take a back seat most of the time and then play a blinder when called upon to do so. Many PL teams would love to have him in their starting formations but he has stayed loyal to us and even to those brain challenged morons who are forever on his case.

I feel sorry for Maya because there are plenty on here who have done nothing but slag him off from Day 1. It seems a section of the so-called fan base needs a whipping boy to blame for all our failures. Most players make howlers during a match but these fans let it pass by especially if it's one of their favourite players but not so for poor old Maya who gets abuse on here almost weekly. It is naive to think he doesn't get to read what fans are saying and constant negativity towards him must have an impact on the player on the pitch and emotionally. Time now for all these people to get off his back and recognise that the is one hell of a good player and we are lucky indeed to have a guy of his talent prepared to take a back seat most of the time and then play a blinder when called upon to do so. Many PL teams would love to have him in their starting formations but he has stayed loyal to us and even to those brain challenged morons who are forever on his case.

Very well said. He's a model professional and loyal servant to the club who deserves more credit.

question for everyone.

say we beat liverpool with yoshida playing both legs of that semi- and thus meaning hes played all our minutes in the league cup this season

would you start him or fonte at wembley?

Edited by nta786

question for everyone.

say we beat liverpool with yoshida playing both legs of that semi- and thus meaning hes played all our minutes in the league cup this season

Yes - He's done nothing wrong this season IMO. Not much difference between the 2 now I'd say.

question for everyone.

Yoshi would have easily earned it on that basis. He would start.

Has done so well this year, really composed. Hopefully he can continue as such. Always liked him, great option to have in the squad.