Where is the ambition?

ally_uk

The management team are unable to sell the club in the greatest boom football has ever seen

Hmm. I hate once again to compare with that club down the road, but I'm sure they could sell the club at a profit if they weren't being careful about who was buying it..

I'm more in tune with this quote and what followed it:

Do we need to go through it every season? I know it's not just Saints fans but christ, it's like everyone hits reset every summer and all lessons go out the window.

Hmm. I hate once again to compare with that club down the road, but I'm sure they could sell the club at a profit if they weren't being careful about who was buying it..

I'm more in tune with this quote and what followed it:

might be better than trying to sell it to people with no money though...oh wait !!

At least they are strengthening their team, at the moment we are going into the new season with a weaker squad than last year.

That is probably not true as vplayers improve especially if they continue to play with the same team mates

Boufel and Austin will probably be better than last year

Our ambition is to stay up, same as its always been.

I take it, that you are being sarcastic or are you really saying the 11th or 12th most watched club in England should be happy with surviving in the Prem? We have been in the top 8 long enough to think bigger than that. I said on here before, some of our fans seem to be content with being average or worse!

I take it, that you are being sarcastic or are you really saying the 11th or 12th most watched club in England should be happy with surviving in the Prem? We have been in the top 8 long enough to think bigger than that. I said on here before, some of our fans seem to be content with being average or worse!

He has been saying this for ages. Credit is for his persistence in trolling, has been doing this for years on here. First about Hoddle then it was the club with its surviving strategy in the prem. Waste of a life if you ask me spending all that time trolling on the internet, there's so much to do in life.

He has been saying this for ages. Credit is for his persistence in trolling, has been doing this for years on here. First about Hoddle then it was the club with its surviving strategy in the prem. Waste of a life if you ask me spending all that time trolling on the internet, there's so much to do in life.

But that's what Daleks do, or did anyway, repeating the same few things, time after time.

RE: Average players...

Really? I can think of about 3 or 4 I don't want in the squad. The rest all have a role to play.

Really? We don't seem to know our strongest 11 and largely because of a bunch of average midfielders like, Boufal, Tadic, Long, Davis, Redmond, JWP, Targett and Gallagher. There isn't an outstanding player amongst them. They all put in a good show every once in a while but none of them are consistent. This just leads to the manager chopping and changing every week. If we're going to play 1 up front then these players need to score goals and none of them look great in that department. I'd get rid of Boufal, Tadic and Long and replace them with a proper No. 10. Targett, JWP and Redmond can fill the gaps as I think they're just as capable of doing what Boufal, Tadic and Long do.

Really? We don't seem to know our strongest 11 and largely because of a bunch of average midfielders like, Boufal, Tadic, Long, Davis, Redmond, JWP, Targett and Gallagher. There isn't an outstanding player amongst them. They all put in a good show every once in a while but none of them are consistent. This just leads to the manager chopping and changing every week. If we're going to play 1 up front then these players need to score goals and none of them look great in that department. I'd get rid of Boufal, Tadic and Long and replace them with a proper No. 10. Targett, JWP and Redmond can fill the gaps as I think they're just as capable of doing what Boufal, Tadic and Long do.

Boufal has the skills but not the attitude. He has the talent to be outstanding, if he could only apply himself.

Tadic is exceptional on his day but inconsistent.

Redmond has his moments and would be a good player to bring off the bench, if we had better starters.

JWP is no world beater but brings something with his delivery, we just haven't found out his best position yet.

Davis I'm no great fan of but you can rely on him to go to OT or the Etihad, not be intimidated and put a decent shift in. He's also a model pro and a good role model.

Long is substandard, no arguments there. Targett doesn't look PL quality to me either. Gallagher is at least worth a try after last season.

The only players we have who I don't really think warrant a place in the squad are Long, Gardos, Targett and Clasie. The rest all have a role, even if not as starters.

Boufal has the skills but not the attitude. He has the talent to be outstanding, if he could only apply himself.

Tadic is exceptional on his day but inconsistent.

Redmond has his moments and would be a good player to bring off the bench, if we had better starters.

JWP is no world beater but brings something with his delivery, we just haven't found out his best position yet.

Davis I'm no great fan of but you can rely on him to go to OT or the Etihad, not be intimidated and put a decent shift in. He's also a model pro and a good role model.

Long is substandard, no arguments there. Targett doesn't look PL quality to me either. Gallagher is at least worth a try after last season.

The only players we have who I don't really think warrant a place in the squad are Long, Gardos, Targett and Clasie. The rest all have a role, even if not as starters.

Clasie, I'd completely forgotten about him. The thing for me is that we have some players who are straight on the team sheet. The back four pretty much picks itself, assuming VVD gets his act together. The issue is that the midfield doesn't. With the exception of Romeu, who do you play? Ask anybody on here who they'd play in the midfield and up front and you'll get hundreds of different answers. Why? because we don't have enough quality. We could get rid of 4 midfielders and be no worse off as a squad. We're carrying too many average players. What we need are 2 really special signings.

Clasie, I'd completely forgotten about him. The thing for me is that we have some players who are straight on the team sheet. The back four pretty much picks itself, assuming VVD gets his act together. The issue is that the midfield doesn't. With the exception of Romeu, who do you play? Ask anybody on here who they'd play in the midfield and up front and you'll get hundreds of different answers. Why? because we don't have enough quality. We could get rid of 4 midfielders and be no worse off as a squad. We're carrying too many average players. What we need are 2 really special signings.
Totally agree. Central midfield is our weakest area. Too many similar players but none really a level above the others (excluding Romeu).

Crying out for more mobility and power in there, its so obvious that surely the club are targetting someone in this area.

Totally agree. Central midfield is our weakest area. Too many similar players but none really a level above the others (excluding Romeu).

Crying out for more mobility and power in there, its so obvious that surely the club are targetting someone in this area.

You'd hope so. However weve been saying this for 12+ months now and Reed then came out with his "best midfield options" quote.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/southampton/news/reed-southampton-have-best-midfield-in-pl_276561.html

This really is the single biggest issue facing Saints as the Swansea opener draws closer - strengthen mid-field to support Romeu. I cannot believe that the Club's management didn't notice our midfield being ripped to pieces by the top 6 teams last season as the ageing Davis, fading Hojberg and over hyped Ward-Prowse failed to provide the cover to Romeu or box-to-box player we needed and need. I've left Clasie out because it's obvious he isn't seen as the solution to this problem.

:lol:

Current spending table

Table of current spending in Premier League.

1 man city 209.4m

2 man utd 146m

3 chelsea 129.5m

4 everton 91.9m

5 arsenal 44m

6 liverpool 42.3m

7 Huddersfield 41.2m

8 west ham 40m

9 Leicester 33m

10 newcastle 31.4m

11 Bournemouth 30 m

12watford 22m

13burnley 15.5m

14 brighton 12.2m

15 west brom 12 m

16 swansea 11m

17 crystal palace 7.9m

18 southampton 6.7m

19 stoke 0.5m

20 tottenham 0m

Here's a copy and paste job of spending so far.