Matt Targett,new 5 year deal...

saint lard

Well, he currently is exactly that, cover. What else are you expecting from a 21yo who has the current England LB in front of him in the pecking order? He'll have the opportunity to develop.

The expectations of some on here are pretty ridiculous. Where do you suggest we go to unearth world class LB cover who would be prepared to slug it out with Bertrand.

This, exactly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Nice for the lad, but he'd benefit from a decent loan spell in the championship, like Gallagher or Reed or Stephens. See what he's really made of.

Agreed. Mcqueen or Targett should go on loan. Dont need 2 back ups for Bertrand.

Could always have a recall option?

You've said this before and I queried either what your mate thought of him now or who your mate was (as in was he a scout or the like, not his name as I wouldn't know him); I can't remember which and recollect receiving no answer from you. I think he shows no fluidity on the ball, his first touch is cumbersome, he's very slow, some of the body shapes he makes when he tackles and throws out a leg at right angles are almost distressing, he can't (mostly) dribble - I did see him cleverly knock it past a player once but that wasn't really a dribble even though it was a nice touch, he's very one-footed, he plays too many safe balls, is poor defensively and doesn't have that great a cross as he still seems mostly to 'spoon' it somewhat; and even when he was with the under 21s he struck me as very pedestrian. Unlike (pre-injury) Sims from a few years back. My question is do we see him as England's next left back (as Shaw might be and Bertrand, along with Rose, is)? So far, no. And I think for a team that continues to espouse its 'ambition', that is the minimum calibre of player we must have playing for us as the league is full of internationals of varying standards.

Apologies for not answering your question before, must have missed it.

My "mate" is quite an articulate intelligent analytical chap, but weird round the edges to some who don't know him. He was on the books at Bristol City, played academy games against the Wallace's and Shearer, doesn't remember playing against Matty. He was then transferred to Aston Villa as I guess a scholar we call it at Saints, he was going the right way seeing friends fall away through not making the grade. Then he made a mistake girls appeared on the scene, one day him and another lad took the decision to meet a couple of girls, who never turned up, they hung around and as a result missed the team bus to a game. That was it, he remembers being sat on the stairs as the Villa youth coach told his parents that the game was up his chance had gone and they were letting him go because he obviously wasn't taking it serious enough. Obviously in those days you didn't get cut the slack players like Ravel Morrison and Nile Ranger seem to have been given. He says that some mornings less so now when he is having a shave, he asks himself "why did you you do it?". I guess when you have been in a footballing environment since 8/9 into your late teens and on course for the big time. Football is in your brain, all of us clowns on here interpret what we see on the pitch, some better than others but having never played the game towards or at the highest level most of us don't even get close to the finite detail.

Some "commentators" on here claim players like Matty Targett, Jack Stephens, are pretty crap cant run kick a ball blah blah blah. What some of you need to remember is these lads have been through the longest and hardest job interview process in the world, yes the interview for being an Astronaut is probably pretty bloody hard, but their interview process didn't start at the age of 8. For those that actually go to games and see the bigger picture, I think the Stoke game at half time the intake of 8 year-olds into the academy were introduced onto the pitch, there were about 20 small lads on the pitch playing a mini game, of those 20 lads one possibly 2 might just make it to near the first team in TEN years time. If you have ever played against a lad who might "have it" their playing skills are on another level far beyond what us hopefuls could dream of. A school mates brother 3 years younger than us would make us look a right bunch of chumps, a few twisted boys would try to go full Norman Hunter on him: they were just a heap on the ground in his wake as he went up the pitch. A Nottingham Forest scout came all the way down to Hampshire to see him one afternoon, the nipper ended up on the books at Portsmouth but he never made it to the big time. (Yes ha ha).

The further these lads go up the tree the deeper football is burned into their heads, not just kicking a bag of air. They process positions of team mates the opposition, they know the weakness of opposition players and aim to exploit it, we all watch the game from up in the stands or on TV from camera positions up in the stands we get the perfect view, next time you are at SMS just walk around the bottom of the stands, if you go into the Chapel you can walk right round to the dugouts look at the pitch the view is totally different you have to a degree the view of the players: totally different to being up in the stands, watching a screen or playing play station. Southampton don't just chuck anyone out on the pitch they only put players out on the pitch who can process the information.

which takes me back to my "mate" football is still burned into his brain, we went to Old Trafford to see Saints play in the relegation season it was the only time I have been to game with him, he called their goals before the ball was even kicked. I asked why United scored he just rattled off, x y and z were pulled out of position by 1 2 & possibly 3 creating a gap for 4 to shoot 5 was positioned to clean up if it was parried.

Away from that game, his analysis of players flaws have been 99% spot on. Danny Welbeck was playing well for United, and he came up in conversation, he straight away said but he could score so many more goals simply but because his default strike of the ball is with the outside of his boot, if he actually used his laces or inside he would score most of the ones he misses, he won't stay at United because he does not convert enough of the chances that the system Ferguson has them playing in creates. Obviously with United being on the box so much, watching the next few games sure enough Welbecks default strike of the ball was the outside of his boot. I could go on with examples that made me watch x player and make me go, blimey how about that.

He isn't a Saints fan, he has other interests and makes his money away from football, but just on a whim he will leave work and go and see a lower league game or youth match, and on the odd occasion we speak, he will say keep an ear out for this lad. He obviously knows I am a Saints fan and will sometimes comment about players.

But going back to Matt Targett, he is still a youngster with plenty to learn, the way him and Jack get slagged on here from some quarters beggars belief, it's almost like Saints players are only any good if we have spent millions on them and with regard to experience about 30 and heading to the twilight of their career, guess what when they were 21 playing elsewhere, un seen by the experts on here, they were also a little green and developed into the players people want Saints to splash the cash on. If Matty Targett was as rubbish as made out Koeman wouldn't have allowed him to deputise for Bertrand when he was injured, he also wouldn't have played him in the system that stopped the rot that we experienced mid winter the season before last.

Finally: "doesn't have that great a cross" you really need to get you prescription checked. Dušan Tadic can't score a penalty, and takes a corner.........sorry... passes from a corner straight into the goalkeepers arms 90% of the time. But for some reason folks still sing his name and think the sun shines out of his backside but receives no where near the critism some other players in our team get????????!!!!!

Good lad, local lad, but hasn't earned this contract through performances on the pitch.

Has some good attributes but also some huge weaknesses that he will need to sort if he ever wants to be a PL regular.

Jury is out at PL level.

Good lad, local lad, but hasn't earned this contract through performances on the pitch.

Has some good attributes but also some huge weaknesses that he will need to sort if he ever wants to be a PL regular.

Jury is out at PL level.

If you're suggesting he isn't the finished article, I think everyone would agree with that. But surely most don't expect that at his age and 40 appearances behind him he would be?

For me he is already a better defender than Danny Fox - I don't get any on those "Where the **** is Fox" moments when he plays. His attacking play will improve with time and confidence, imo. Quite rightly, his immediate priority is not to get caught out too much defensively - which inevitably he will given his age.

It's bloody fantastic that we are developing our own, and giving them the time to develop their potential. It gives me a good feeling to see our own youth playing coming through. Frankly, if you can't see the positives in that you should consider supporting West Ham.

Matt is fine and will improve with experience. Well done to him and good for us. He has already played quite a few games in the EPL and is an under 21 International so cannot understand the attitude of some on here.

Matt is fine and will improve with experience. Well done to him and good for us. He has already played quite a few games in the EPL and is an under 21 International so cannot understand the attitude of some on here.

that sums it up doesn't it "fine" do we want team full of fine or OK players?

that sums it up doesn't it "fine" do we want team full of fine or OK players?

FFS He is one of the best young full backs in the country. Is he ready, yet, to displace Bertrand? No, of course not. But a 21yo Bertrand wouldn't displace today's Bertrand either.

Indeed. Nice lad, and a more than reasonable LB/wing-back, but unlikely to really ever crack it in the Prem.

If he was a few years older and had been coming through the ranks when we were in the lower leagues he would have been a regular no doubt but we've been blessed with watching some very good fullbacks in recent years in Clyne, Shaw, Cedric and Bertrand and I don't see Targett getting anywhere near as good as any of them.

Mendy

Shaw

Bellerin

Chilwell

Robertson

Holgate

Ok.

Mendy is a little older but appears to be quality. Let's see how it gets on.

Bellerin I'll give you.

Shaw I don't recall seeing for some time now

Chilwell is debatable- maybe the same level

Robertson is a little older and, imo, not as good.

Holgate at or around the same level (and I think is primarily a centre back)

Even if all the above are better (Hint: they aren't) it still doesn't mean MT isn't one of the best young full backs in the PL. By most measures he's a talented footballer who deserves a shot. I'm glad we give these guys the opportunity.

Why the constant need to denigrate everything associated with the club you supposedly support?

Ok.

Bellerin I'll give you.

Even if all the above are better (Hint: they aren't) it still doesn't mean MT isn't one of the best young full backs in the PL. By most measures he's a talented footballer who deserves a shot. I'm glad we give these guys the opportunity.

Why the constant need to denigrate everything associated with the club you supposedly support?

I am not denigrating anything. Just giving you a list that you asked for.

I think it is a great move by the club. Please ready the posts that are there and not what you think are there

I am not denigrating anything. Just giving you a list that you asked for.

I think it is a great move by the club. Please ready the posts that are there and not what you think are there

So why not just agree he is one of the best young full backs?

Ok.

Mendy is a little older but appears to be quality. Let's see how it gets on.

Bellerin I'll give you.

Someone suggesting Targett is better than Shaw...I've seen it all now. The only two on that list that aren't comfortably better than Targett are Chilwell and Holgate and even Chilwell is picked ahead of him for the U21s.

He's ok but I haven't seen anything to suggest he is capable of replacing Bertrand when the time comes.

So why not just agree he is one of the best young full backs?

because I do not think he is given the few 'young' fullbacks in the league (there are not many)

but I think this is a great move by the club still

that is not denigrating him or the club. Just giving my opinion that he is a decent player with a fair bit of potential.

Not that long ago, JwP was supposed to be the next big thing..not quite working out like that (yet)

Why would these 6 be the best young full backs? I mean, why 6? Can't there be a 7th? Let's say he's 7th best...doesn't that make him one of the best young full backs in the league? There's probably 100 full backs in the premier league.

100 YOUNG full backs in the premier league?

OK mate, if you do not agree with me, no need to make stuff up to prove some sort of point

100 YOUNG full backs in the premier league?

OK mate, if you do not agree with me, no need to make stuff up to prove some sort of point

There are clearly not 100 full backs in the PL, let alone "young ones". There are 20 clubs in the league, if every club had a first choice and a back up for each side that would still only be 80....

FFS He is one of the best young full backs in the country. Is he ready, yet, to displace Bertrand? No, of course not. But a 21yo Bertrand wouldn't displace today's Bertrand either.

But would a 21 yo Bertrand dispLace Target?

We've had the pleasure of watching players like Shaw, Bale, Lallana, Walcott, AOC, Sims, Stephens, Surman and Chambers break into our first team and look like they have a bright future. Then there's the likes of Lloyd James, Simon Gillett and Martin Cranie when you just think.... mmmm okay then. That's how I feel watching Targett.

Apologies for not answering your question before, must have missed it.

My "mate" is quite an articulate intelligent analytical chap, but weird round the edges to some who don't know him. He was on the books at Bristol City, played academy games against the Wallace's and Shearer, doesn't remember playing against Matty. He was then transferred to Aston Villa as I guess a scholar we call it at Saints, he was going the right way seeing friends fall away through not making the grade. Then he made a mistake girls appeared on the scene, one day him and another lad took the decision to meet a couple of girls, who never turned up, they hung around and as a result missed the team bus to a game. That was it, he remembers being sat on the stairs as the Villa youth coach told his parents that the game was up his chance had gone and they were letting him go because he obviously wasn't taking it serious enough. Obviously in those days you didn't get cut the slack players like Ravel Morrison and Nile Ranger seem to have been given. He says that some mornings less so now when he is having a shave, he asks himself "why did you you do it?". I guess when you have been in a footballing environment since 8/9 into your late teens and on course for the big time. Football is in your brain, all of us clowns on here interpret what we see on the pitch, some better than others but having never played the game towards or at the highest level most of us don't even get close to the finite detail.

Some "commentators" on here claim players like Matty Targett, Jack Stephens, are pretty crap cant run kick a ball blah blah blah. What some of you need to remember is these lads have been through the longest and hardest job interview process in the world, yes the interview for being an Astronaut is probably pretty bloody hard, but their interview process didn't start at the age of 8. For those that actually go to games and see the bigger picture, I think the Stoke game at half time the intake of 8 year-olds into the academy were introduced onto the pitch, there were about 20 small lads on the pitch playing a mini game, of those 20 lads one possibly 2 might just make it to near the first team in TEN years time. If you have ever played against a lad who might "have it" their playing skills are on another level far beyond what us hopefuls could dream of. A school mates brother 3 years younger than us would make us look a right bunch of chumps, a few twisted boys would try to go full Norman Hunter on him: they were just a heap on the ground in his wake as he went up the pitch. A Nottingham Forest scout came all the way down to Hampshire to see him one afternoon, the nipper ended up on the books at Portsmouth but he never made it to the big time. (Yes ha ha).

The further these lads go up the tree the deeper football is burned into their heads, not just kicking a bag of air. They process positions of team mates the opposition, they know the weakness of opposition players and aim to exploit it, we all watch the game from up in the stands or on TV from camera positions up in the stands we get the perfect view, next time you are at SMS just walk around the bottom of the stands, if you go into the Chapel you can walk right round to the dugouts look at the pitch the view is totally different you have to a degree the view of the players: totally different to being up in the stands, watching a screen or playing play station. Southampton don't just chuck anyone out on the pitch they only put players out on the pitch who can process the information.

which takes me back to my "mate" football is still burned into his brain, we went to Old Trafford to see Saints play in the relegation season it was the only time I have been to game with him, he called their goals before the ball was even kicked. I asked why United scored he just rattled off, x y and z were pulled out of position by 1 2 & possibly 3 creating a gap for 4 to shoot 5 was positioned to clean up if it was parried.

Away from that game, his analysis of players flaws have been 99% spot on. Danny Welbeck was playing well for United, and he came up in conversation, he straight away said but he could score so many more goals simply but because his default strike of the ball is with the outside of his boot, if he actually used his laces or inside he would score most of the ones he misses, he won't stay at United because he does not convert enough of the chances that the system Ferguson has them playing in creates. Obviously with United being on the box so much, watching the next few games sure enough Welbecks default strike of the ball was the outside of his boot. I could go on with examples that made me watch x player and make me go, blimey how about that.

He isn't a Saints fan, he has other interests and makes his money away from football, but just on a whim he will leave work and go and see a lower league game or youth match, and on the odd occasion we speak, he will say keep an ear out for this lad. He obviously knows I am a Saints fan and will sometimes comment about players.

But going back to Matt Targett, he is still a youngster with plenty to learn, the way him and Jack get slagged on here from some quarters beggars belief, it's almost like Saints players are only any good if we have spent millions on them and with regard to experience about 30 and heading to the twilight of their career, guess what when they were 21 playing elsewhere, un seen by the experts on here, they were also a little green and developed into the players people want Saints to splash the cash on. If Matty Targett was as rubbish as made out Koeman wouldn't have allowed him to deputise for Bertrand when he was injured, he also wouldn't have played him in the system that stopped the rot that we experienced mid winter the season before last.

Finally: "doesn't have that great a cross" you really need to get you prescription checked. Dušan Tadic can't score a penalty, and takes a corner.........sorry... passes from a corner straight into the goalkeepers arms 90% of the time. But for some reason folks still sing his name and think the sun shines out of his backside but receives no where near the critism some other players in our team get????????!!!!!

Thank you for that. This is a shorter reply than previously envisaged: the 3 post rule obviated my immediate (and longer) reply. Your friend sounds like someone who others have a problem with because they're not on his intellectual level and he probably doesn't mix with too many who are. It's a shame about what happened with his career as he sounds like the kind of person who I think should be a footballer: he has the skill, but he can play the game ahead of time and sees it as more than just a physical contest.

I'll be very happy if MT comes good: for one thing he's more likely to want success here than at other places and even were he to leave he'd still be a fan. As for the likes of Stephens, I only saw the highlights of yesterday's game but as he featured in them I though they showed his good and bad points. The good: confidence to push the ball into space and looking up to see a ball on; the bad at the beginning where he let a player get a bit away from him, saw others were there so dropped off and the forward got a shot away when someone more defensive minded would have looked to have blocked the shot or forced the attacker wide so reducing his angle or into the centre where it was too crowded. Obviously still like him as ball-playing centre backs are a rare and good breed and they shouldn't be. It would be interesting to see what your friend makes of our other youth and the likes of JWP if he ever gets the chance to see him in the flesh. And yes, I know how good those who didn't quite 'make it' are as I have had the pleasure (or otherwise!) of playing with and against a few of them as I'm sure many of us.

Again, thank you for the comprehensive and interesting reply.

I don't care too much if he makes the odd mistake. As JBJ says, he is young and learning. But what he is, what he stands for, is far more important. He is a player who has a connection to the club, and that to me, is hugely important. It really struck me when we played City last season. I got wondering what the City supporters must think when they field 11 foreign players, none with link to the club other that recently signing for the schilling they get. It makes the game far too soulless. I realise that is the way the modern game has gone, and the big boys can afford to just go out and buy what they need. To me the best season we have had recently was the one with Poch where we had 5 or more home grown players on the pitch. I think that in one game, we used 7. Brilliant it was.

So Matt T, local boy, coming through his local club's academy to play in the 1st XI. That's what football should retain. I'm not saying that this is anything unique, but it doesn't happen enough.

I don't care too much if he makes the odd mistake. As JBJ says, he is young and learning. But what he is, what he stands for, is far more important. He is a player who has a connection to the club, and that to me, is hugely important. It really struck me when we played City last season. I got wondering what the City supporters must think when they field 11 foreign players, none with link to the club other that recently signing for the schilling they get. It makes the game far too soulless. I realise that is the way the modern game has gone, and the big boys can afford to just go out and buy what they need. To me the best season we have had recently was the one with Poch where we had 5 or more home grown players on the pitch. I think that in one game, we used 7. Brilliant it was.

So Matt T, local boy, coming through his local club's academy to play in the 1st XI. That's what football should retain. I'm not saying that this is anything unique, but it doesn't happen enough.

I had hoped that China would continue to buy mercenaries and the PL bubble would burst so hard Scudamore and Co would be ... . Then we could go back to something resembling a proper football competition although with certain bits somewhat improved. Noting Supersonic's comment, it is true he didn't come across as too bright in that video with Harrison Reed a couple of years ago, did he? Still, he's now signed, so he'd better make sure he displaces Bertie asap and becomes England's number 3.

:p

Do you know what, I have no idea. You?

Hard to say as I didn't watch those Chelsea games, but he won motm in his first few games that season and he did play in the CL final too. I think it's fair to say he has improved so let's hope Targett does the same. Looked bright in the first half of the Brentford game that I saw, but let's see how he does up against the likes of Zaha who has made him look a mug in the past.

• 3 weeks later...
@SimonPeach: Chances of #SaintsFC left-back Matt Targett's joining #NUFC on loan has gone from possible to probable. Good player & at 21 needs game time

have to say, someone at the club has done a decent evaluation of the players we had and got rid of those they should/could and loaned out those that needed to be. Not all of them (Gardos for example), but in Targett's case this is a good move for/by Saints if it happens.

have to say, someone at the club has done a decent evaluation of the players we had and got rid of those they should/could and loaned out those that needed to be. Not all of them (Gardos for example), but in Targett's case this is a good move for/by Saints if it happens.

I think that it would be really positive if he can get a full season under his belt with Newcastle. I'll be watching their games with interest now.

The European window doesn't close until tomorrow, so Gardos could still move. A loan is most likely I would have thought.

Newcastle say they have pulled out of Matt Targett deal due to length of deal - Southampton end saying issue over loan fee. Player was keen.

You'd have thought all that would be sorted wouldn't you?!

Rafa will be delighted they can't get a left-back on loan over the line due to a loan fee.

You'd have thought all that would be sorted wouldn't you?!

Rafa will be delighted they can't get a left-back on loan over the line due to a loan fee.

This thread I saw on the Saints subreddit might share some light on the situation:

"The Targett deal earlier was actually very far in the process, but Targett wasn't too keen on joining for a full season loan due to him not knowing whether he would enjoy it in Newcastle or not."

"Saints didnt think that the 6 month/full season loan would be such a massive issue as they thought an extension could be discussed again at the 6 month mark but newcastle for some reason were not happy with that. (Which is strange as they will now only have one fit LB)"

• 3 months later...