January 18 transfer window

SKD

It doesn't matter what you think of walcott. Fact is the club wanted him and couldn't get it over the line, everton have roughly the same turnover as us so we should be able to compete on wages, ffp????? The fault clearly lies with who's selling the club to the player, who that is, we can make our own minds up

Good point. Lawrie Mac was a brilliant salesman for the club. Les probably isn't.

It doesn't matter what you think of walcott. Fact is the club wanted him and couldn't get it over the line, everton have roughly the same turnover as us so we should be able to compete on wages, ffp????? The fault clearly lies with who's selling the club to the player, who that is, we can make our own minds up

VFTT who appears ITK on this has stated several times the main issue was our league position Theo was not convinced we could avoid relegation (not an unreasonable assumption) and had no desire to be playing in the championship 6 months after leaving Arsenal.

Everton are going to be solid mid table this season so it was a much harder sell than you are making out.

VFTT who appears ITK on this has stated several times the main issue was our league position Theo was not convinced we could avoid relegation (not an unreasonable assumption) and had no desire to be playing in the championship 6 months after leaving Arsenal.

Everton are going to be solid mid table this season so it was a much harder sell than you are making out.

Doesn't say much about his own self belief either.

I remember watching VVD and Clasie play for the Dutch against Wales a few years back. Clasie was playing along side Wesley Sneijder and looked quality yet never replicated that in a saints shirt meanwhile VVD was being taken to the cleaners by some young welsh players who played for some lower league English club he never looked that bad in a saints shirt. A lot of the England squad look better when playing for their club sides than they do when they pull on the three lions and suddenly look really ordinary.

Exactly. VVD's performances for the Dutch national team thus far are still questionable as he looks vulnarable in some ways. Clasie seems to be doing ok now for Bruges which is one of the better teams in a poor competition. Yesterday PSV sold Locadia to Brighton, a very mediocre attacker in the Dutch competition who is now joining a PL side, you can only expect he will utterly fail but who knows. The odds are against him but he might get lucky and score a few goals in his first appearances, getting more confidence. The same goes for Promes, you can never really know if he's cut out for the PL until he actually plays in this competition for a couple of months. But 30 million to take that risk?

Absolute rubbish..Of course Walcott was not going to say it's about wages..however when we wouldn't or couldn't match theirs it was all over.

Otherwise he would have never even entertained us would he? He knew our position before his agent started talking to us, or are the ITK's suggesting he has only just looked at the league table? It's not like we have just got in this position.

Having trouble liking players from Amsterdam?

Promes has been one of the attackers that at least look like scoring even without Robben in the team. He can play centrally in a 4-4-2 but also as a winger in a front three. And maybe most important, he creates his own chances with his speed and trickery which makes him less reliant on a functioning team around him.

:p

Nope, usually the better players in the Netherlands are from Amsterdam or used to play for Ajax, no grudges there.

I didn't see any trickery from Promes in the national team at all, maybe he left his magic wand in Russia? But then again, I haven't seen any of his games in Russia (I guess many here have never seen him play) so it's difficult to make a real judgement. However , based on his appaearances for the national team it's justified to doubt his ability to adept to the PL.

And I've heard the big problem is ever more aggressive agents. We have a good scouting setup, identify a player. Once upon a time the player and agent would be happy that we're offering an opportunity and just negotiate with Saints.

Now, the moment we approach a player, the agent splashes it round all clubs saying he's on the radar, Saints know a good player and want him, but someone else can pay more. So we're gazzumped again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If it makes you feel better.

But if we'd offered him the same...why wouldn't he go to the bigger club who aren't in a relegation battle? I mean I wouldn't really want to play for Allardyce, but christ I wouldn't go near Saints under MP.

If it had been us under Koeman, I think he'd have signed.

But we didn't offer the same did we? If we did he would have probably chosen Everton for the reasons highlighted but that was never needed to be considered as they offered more money.

No one in the Netherlands understands how Quincy Promes can be such a valuable player for Spartak as he is completely useless in the Dutch national team. I saw him play in 7 or 8 games for Oranje and it was really awful, as if he didn't have a clue where to run or when to pass or shoot.

Yet, in Russia he scores one goal after another and he was even player of the year in a fairly strong competition. I guess Spartak is a very good team which makes it easier for Promes to perform well, question is: will he deliver as well in a team that is struggling like Saints? I really doubt it.

Aww man, that's not going to go down well on here.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

:p

Nope, usually the better players in the Netherlands are from Amsterdam or used to play for Ajax, no grudges there.

I didn't see any trickery from Promes in the national team at all, maybe he left his magic wand in Russia? But then again, I haven't seen any of his games in Russia (I guess many here have never seen him play) so it's difficult to make a real judgement. However , based on his appaearances for the national team it's justified to doubt his ability to adept to the PL.

To be fair to him, has any player played well for the Netherlands in the last couple of years?

And I've heard the big problem is ever more aggressive agents. We have a good scouting setup, identify a player. Once upon a time the player and agent would be happy that we're offering an opportunity and just negotiate with Saints.

Now, the moment we approach a player, the agent splashes it round all clubs saying he's on the radar, Saints know a good player and want him, but someone else can pay more. So we're gazzumped again.

Been thinking similar myself. Victims of our own success kind of thing.

Been thinking similar myself. Victims of our own success kind of thing.
Yep. Impossible to keep a deal quiet now, and no thanks from the player for our interest. Just a lever. So our scouting just helps the rich clubs who can prey on our targets at will.

And that, together with the message about the £100k wage cap, is from someone inside the club. It's proving almost impossible to get players in.

If we spend any money on players to play for us in the Premier League for the remainder of this season then Les Reed needs shooting. But I'm sure the club aren't that stupid. They'll know we're down and will be looking for Championship-quality players for next season. Back Pellegrino with a couple of free transfers and we could definitely push for midtable perhaps with a loan or two thrown in as well.

With Sims, Gallagher, Reed, Pied, Offoloma, Long, Yoshida, Valery and McCarthy we have the makings of a very decent lower league outfit and something we should all be excited about.

#PuelOut

When it comes to negotiation, we are not in a strong point versus perhaps ten clubs in the premiership. (Let's assume that is the current top ten). When it comes to everyone else, we have as much to offer as pretty much all others (although I do accept we are more precariously positioned that those teams above us in the bottom half).

So, it could be argued that it will be difficult to recruit when competing with a fellow premier league outfit (that sits above us in the table).

When you look at our recruitment strategy, for the past few years it has not been to recruit from fellow premier league clubs, it has been to recruit from other, typically, European markets.

When it comes to competing on these scales, Southampton 17th in the Premier League, will sit probably somewhere near 17th in the richest, highest paid footballers, in European football.

If you are a good footballer earning less than 40k per week we can pay you considerably more. If you dont like the prospect of relegation, insist on a sell clause. Come and earn twice what you are earning, for six months and IF we stay up and you are enjoying it, you may choose to stay, and IF we get relegated you leave.

It should be a really easy negotiation, providing that Les understands that

a) He will have to pay more in salary to attract someone

b) He will have to compromise on exit clauses, possibly to the extent on suffering a sizeable loss should we be relegated

c) He does not have the same negotiation power he had 3 seasons' ago.

All seems fairly logical, but I can't help but feel we don't have the desire to buy the quality we need because of the costs....

Reality is that most deals happen towards the end of the window.

We obviously want Carrillo and I expect we will get him.

An added difficulty is that clubs like Monaco or Spartak for example i.) Arent desperate for the money ii.) Know we are desperate for players and iii.) Know we just sold VVD for a record fee.

Pellegrino seems happy with what the club are doing to sign players, and ultimately as long as we get them it doesn't matter now whetger they sign today or in a week's time.

Reality is that most deals happen towards the end of the window.

We obviously want Carrillo and I expect we will get him.

An added difficulty is that clubs like Monaco or Spartak for example i.) Arent desperate for the money ii.) Know we are desperate for players and iii.) Know we just sold VVD for a record fee.

Pellegrino seems happy with what the club are doing to sign players, and ultimately as long as we get them it doesn't matter now whetger they sign today or in a week's time.

The fact that he's nice & happy with what the club is doing is probably why he's still in the job.

"The Southampton way"

#WeMarchOn

We always sell early in the window and buy late.

Look at the previous summers.

Shaw, Lambert Lallana Schneiderlin Wanyama Mane Rodriguez Pellle were all sold in June-July.

Doesn t really help our bargaining position does it?

Finally someone had the bottle to say it! 11:20pm here and the jetlag kicked in yesterday.....

Mario karting through the Tokyo streets earlier....

Not seen a single Saints shirt since i arrived..... Les out

Told anyone you're Maya Yoshida's neighbour yet? Have your pics at the ready.

Talk sport are staggered how we sold VVD without having at least three players coming in to push us on.

Questioned why we were in a rush to offload VVD in the first place.

That’s them showing their nativity then.

Why three? Where did that arbitrary number come from? Is that how many signings you’re supposed to have lined up if you sell a player for £75m?

If they had done their research they would know the primary motivation for selling VVD was to improve squad harmony. That was also why we were keen to get him out early in the window, so we could stop the rot.

It isn’t that the sale of VVD that necessitates signings coming in anyway. It’s only the belief that our league position is due in large part to our inferior squad combined with a £75m windfall that makes them look likely. If you don’t subscribe to that view and, instead, think the manager is responsible for our predicament, there’s no urgency to start spending the £75m anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it matters when they sign! We should have had 3 players lined up to sign on the 1st Jan. FFS VvD was announced before the transfer window even opened. We could have had 3 players integrated into the squad by now. It would have made a difference, we might even had won at Watford, it would have given us a lift against Spurs tomorrow too.

Why three? Where did that arbitrary number come from? Is that how many signings you’re supposed to have lined up if you sell a player for £75m?

If they had done their research they would know the primary motivation for selling VVD was to improve squad harmony. That was also why we were keen to get him out early in the window, so we could stop the rot.

It isn’t that the sale of VVD that necessitates signings coming in anyway. It’s only the belief that our league position is due in large part to our inferior squad combined with a £75m windfall that makes them look likely. If you don’t subscribe to that view and, instead, think the manager is responsible for our predicament, there’s no urgency to start spending the £75m anyway.

Typical Talksport. One month behind the times.

Of course it matters when they sign! We should have had 3 players lined up to sign on the 1st Jan. FFS VvD was announced before the transfer window even opened. We could have had 3 players integrated into the squad by now. It would have made a difference, we might even had won at Watford, it would have given us a lift against Spurs tomorrow too.

You and Talk Sport are correct (Pilchards). A well run football operation would have done this. We have Les Reed "reporting to" a vacant Chief Executive role and a Part Time expat Chairman.

Ooo thats a load of b*ll*cks.

We could have easily put him on gardening leave mid-December, and maybe got a lift in squad spirit for the Xmas fixture schedule.

He was sold ASAP for money, pure & simple, and we’ve been bullsh*tted about signings ever since.

GAO must just be interested in selling up all the stars under cloak of relegating and getting out, thus turning 200 mill debt into profit. MP is his aid in this by being so clueless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GAO must just be interested in selling up all the stars under cloak of relegating and getting out, thus turning 200 mill debt into profit. MP is his aid in this by being so clueless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I can't believe so many are calling for the managers head, Les Reeds head, Freddie's Krugers head but there is apathy towards the owner.

Allegedly he struggled to pass the fit and proper test. We have heard nothing from him. We know nothing of his motives other than he had to borrow to buy the club.

IMO I am not scared of relegation..I am scared that this guy is going to destroy us totally.

Personally I can't believe so many are calling for the managers head, Les Reeds head, Freddie's Krugers head but there is apathy towards the owner.

Allegedly he struggled to pass the fit and proper test. We have heard nothing from him. We know nothing of his motives other than he had to borrow to buy the club.

IMO I am not scared of relegation..I am scared that this guy is going to destroy us totally.

Very much agree with the last point

Yep, imagine if the Skates had this guy buying them. We'd all be ****ing our sides with laughter.

[emoji106]

Untrue. We have the five pledges on Ralph's desk and winging their way to us in February.

You think our players would fetch 200 million, now that's delusion.

75 already in. Parachute payments. Then Gabbi plus Bertrand plus Hoj plus Boufal, Tadic probably even Forster. Yes, I do.