Thread: On pitch battles

Default On pitch battles

Love the personal battle between Zaha and JWP and itís obvious James winds him up.
    Any others in the past or present that you know itís going to kick off?

I do remember Keane and Veira hated each other.

Wilf Zaha is a bit of a baby isn't he? Thinks he's amazing but as soon as he doesn't get a decision throws his toys out of the pram. Can't believe how often he gets away with slapping / pushing or poking people in the face too - likes a good face stroke for some reason....!

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Jwp is a bit of a middle class smarmy ***** who you'd think would deserve a slap in real life. Really funny that he's on our team winding up Zaha though. Zaha doesn't seem particularly bright though, he really should just not react.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Love the personal battle between Zaha and JWP and itís obvious James winds him up.
    Any others in the past or present that you know itís going to kick off?

I do remember Keane and Veira hated each other.
    Keane had a number of people he really didn't get along with. Alfie Haaland would be another and look what Keane did to him. They were on the same team but I believe Le Tiss and Carlton Palmer weren't exactly close...

Mike Sumerbee and the whole alehouse back four

6. Default

John Bailey and any Saints player.

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Jwp is a bit of a middle class smarmy ***** who you'd think would deserve a slap in real life. Really funny that he's on our team winding up Zaha though. Zaha doesn't seem particularly bright though, he really should just not react.
    Would you say that if he was white?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Yeah jwp is still a middle class smarmy ***** even if he has an Asian dad

Quote Originally Posted by mickn View Post
    Think Dennis Hollywood was the one that upset him the most.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladysaint View Post
    John Bailey and any Saints player.
    .... and any Saints Fan!!

Never seen any other player get as much abuse, and that includes the likes of Lolvren, Nivea Boy, Van **** or any ex skate

What a daft remark, why do you have to bring race into it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iansums View Post
    What a daft remark, why do you have to bring race into it?
    Tbf I'm assuming he was joking. Zaha is the luke Shaw of strikers when it comes to intelligence.

Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)

It’s a great tactic to wind Zaha up as it distracts him and adversely affects his game !
    It wouldn’t surprise me if RH instructed JWP to do this !
    All part of the game........

The most famous one for us would be Everton at highbury in '84 surely

15. Default

Bremner v Keegan was a good one.

Francis Lee and Norman “bits-your-legs” Hunter

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QALdVum0xEk

Bowyer v Dyer, both of Newcastle, was quite funny. And of course there was ex-Saint Eyal Berkovic heading John Hartson's boot in training at West Ham...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eurosaint View Post
    It’s a great tactic to wind Zaha up as it distracts him and adversely affects his game !
    It wouldn’t surprise me if RH instructed JWP to do this !
    All part of the game........
    Yeah I reckon so. It's great to see JWP adding some togh tackling and general sh!thousery to his game. It's long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by ladysaint View Post
    Bremner v Keegan was a good one.
    ....and the Johnny Giles right hook that preceded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Love the personal battle between Zaha and JWP and it’s obvious James winds him up.
    I thought it was brilliant that Franny Benali tweeted during the game "I wish I was playing Right Back tonight"

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Tbf I'm assuming he was joking. Zaha is the luke Shaw of strikers when it comes to intelligence.
    Assumed you'd understand.

Assumed you'd understand.
    Yeah, apologies, went right over my head

Fowler and Le Saux ran for a few years. Fowler was a complete cnt though. Imagine if he'd pulled those antics in today's social media world.

Actually he'd probably have a spot on question time as not afraid to tell it how it is.

JWP only seems hated by Palace fans for that Zaha red card. I mean JWP can be an annoying player as he's constant energy, pressing and winding people up, but every team needs someone like that. It's added a lot to his game.

Genuinely think he's ready for England now. Midfield spots seem up for grabs, and extra set piece quality can't hurt in a tournament. Besides TAA set piece options look limited.

Hojbjerg vs Himself is an interesting one.

I think Terry Paine and Johnny Giles had a real hatred for each other
    Ron Davies used to terrify Jack Charlton

27. Default

Vinnie Jones and Gazza spring to mind, a little one sided though....

Bowyer and Dyer, very tasty...
    https://youtu.be/mp6_5H13i_Q

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Micky; 22-01-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Who was the Arsenal player who received a lengthy ban for breaking Glenn Cockerill's jaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    Who was the Arsenal player who received a lengthy ban for breaking Glenn Cockerill's jaw?
    Paul Davis snidey sh1t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaha has the mentality of a 10 year old. That’s why he’ll never succeed at a big club, despite his ability.

Quote Originally Posted by mickn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Just a Fan View Post
    Think Dennis Hollywood was the one that upset him the most.
    I remember my first Saints v Man City game c 1969/70 and was surprised by the abuse that was directed at Summerbee from the first minute. Always wondered what sparked that, understood from older relatives that Summerbee was known to like 'dishing it out' but couldn't take it. Was there a specific incident that started this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Paul Davis snidey sh1t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remembered the Saints ran a caption with the Arsenal shirt sponsors JVC - Jaws Viciously Cracked.

John McGrath and the Liverpool team was another good one, including banging the head of Alun Evans which gave rise to Shankly's Alehouse jibe.

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

JWP isn’t white?

Surprised no one’s mentioned Highbury 1984.........Bailey used to get it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by alehouseboys View Post
    Surprised no one’s mentioned Highbury 1984.........Bailey used to get it tho.
    Sadly he seemed to play well against us, although when he first came to the Dell after the incidents up there, his teammates withered and melted but he was the only one who wasnt affected. I think we beat them 5 something. For those who dont know the history he got 2 of our players sent off, Although Osgood smacking him in the mouth was hardly getting our players sent off lol

Benali and John Fashanu although i think it was only Frannie lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    I spoke to Glenn about this a few weeks back at a St Marys dinner. I asked him did he see it coming "obviously I didn't, I knew nothing about it, I only knew what happened when I saw it on the News". "I didn't realise my jaw was broken until I found I couldn't eat my Fish and Chips that evening!". "The one thing I do recall was earlier in the game during a skirmish with the ball we both fell over each other I landed on top of him and he said that he would get me for that.......just thought it was one of those things people would say". Glenn said apparently a few season before they had a little insignificant run in during a game - which obviously had been simmering locked away inside him until that moment.
    Beattie who was also in attendance said he was shocked that Davis had it in him to do that, as he sees Davis on the FA coaching courses and has done for a few years and doesn't seem to be a person with a nasty bone in his body.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I remember my first Saints v Man City game c 1969/70 and was surprised by the abuse that was directed at Summerbee from the first minute. Always wondered what sparked that, understood from older relatives that Summerbee was known to like 'dishing it out' but couldn't take it. Was there a specific incident that started this ?
    I don't know if anything in particular started it but I remember on one occasion Docker Walker I think putting Summerbee into the West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Fowler and Le Saux ran for a few years. Fowler was a complete cnt though. Imagine if he'd pulled those antics in today's social media world.

Actually he'd probably have a spot on question time as not afraid to tell it how it is.

JWP only seems hated by Palace fans for that Zaha red card. I mean JWP can be an annoying player as he's constant energy, pressing and winding people up, but every team needs someone like that. It's added a lot to his game.

Genuinely think he's ready for England now. Midfield spots seem up for grabs, and extra set piece quality can't hurt in a tournament. Besides TAA set piece options look limited.
    Another great article in The Athletic yesterday about JWP and his new found "toughness". Even greater title "Southampton's Secret 5h1thouse"