Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Can someone just clarify that the parachute payments would be used, in the event of liquidation, to pay football creditors. What's the source for this and the rebuttal of the line that "if the club gets liquidated, the players get nothing anyway"?

Can someone just clarify that the parachute payments would be used, in the event of liquidation, to pay football creditors. What's the source for this and the rebuttal of the line that "if the club gets liquidated, the players get nothing anyway"?

The answer to the first part is this: http://www.uhy-uk.com/assets/media/download/portsmouth%20reports/Final%20progress%20report.pdf Page 4

Funds are continued to be held by the Premier League (‘PL’) for the 2010/11 season in respect of parachute monies, TV monies, sponsorship monies and the like, until all football creditors are paid in full.

(Poor grammar is UHY's, not mine)

In previous administrations, there hadn't been a comparable amount of money owed to players and a greater proportion of the outstanding football creditors were other clubs who were due stage payments in respect of transfer fees. However, there isn't a lot of transparency over how these payments were made and who the recipients were.

The problems come with the interaction between Football rules and insolvency law. If the club had an absolute entitlement to receive the money, then they would be seized by the administrators/liquidators. They are instead discretionary payments that are normally paid under particular circumstances.

The Football Creditors rule is only a 'club rule' of the Football League and only applies to clubs who wish to participate in the league, rather than an insolvency law. If the club wants to remain in the league, football creditors are front of the queue. If the club is liquidated and is not continuing, then the Football Creditors are treated the same as all other unsecured creditors. Under insolvency law, the players will probably receive nothing from the club - this is where the 'they get nothing' view comes from.

The fact that the PPs are discretionary payments puts the ball in the Premier League's court. They make the payments, they have previously withheld them to pay Football Creditors, but the rules are deliberately vague.

Also: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmcumeds/uc509-i/uc50901.htm

No, but we trade between us and the Football League as well. Therefore our clubs will have football creditor debts to other clubs in the pyramid. Remember we are in a slightly different position, Mr Collins. We have central funds that we can withhold for the purposes of administering the Football Creditors Rule. This is not a situation where a club has gone into administration. There is only a small amount of assets compared with the liabilities and, therefore, the idea that out of this small pot of assets, post-administration, you are being asked to pay off certain liabilities before general creditors get hold of the money.

In our situation, if clubs start to fall behind with their payments to other clubs, we are in the fortunate position that we have central funding where we can redirect that funding. For example, because of the Football Creditors Rule-the Football Creditors Rule, post-administration, we obviously applied the Football Indebtedness Rule before then, which is the pre-administration version of the Football Creditors Rule-we were able for example to keep Watford afloat. Had we not been able to pay the money that Watford was owed, Watford probably would have been in administration as well as a result of Portsmouth’s indebtedness. You will speak to the Football League next week who see more of this than we do. The argument for the Football Creditors Rule is effectively the domino effect of the indebtedness that gets passed on, which threatens more and more clubs. Therefore in order to get rid of it unilaterally I think it would be quite difficult.

This quote was in the context of the Conference not having a Football Creditors rule and transfer fees, but he only talks about payments to clubs, not clubs and players.

Edited by dvaughanwilliams

Just got in from work and yep, Suewhistle is right. The Parkes library is a great source; she beats me however with my lowly A-Level in Modern history...I've always wanted to carry my history interest onto degree level but I'm also a bit of an IT Nerd and I chose a technology degree instead.

Plus the line "If the club gets liquidated, the players get nothing anyway" can be considered true as well if you take the statement to refer purely to the club and its assets on liquidation.

Plus the line "If the club gets liquidated, the players get nothing anyway" can be considered true as well if you take the statement to refer purely to the club and its assets on liquidation.

Meaning they get nothing from the club, but the wages/outstanding contract/deferments are settled by the PL from parachute funds that would have been paid to the club?

On what thread I've seen your name mentioned on there along the lines of skinny bloke wouldn't say boo to a goose after playing in inter forum footie match (I think ! )

Lol, that's me. I'm still a skinny bloke but I've said a few boo's to goose's before, that's for sure. I'm still here though, somehow. Not gobby, just opinionated. I think back then though POL and SW members were far more... cordial!

Meaning they get nothing from the club, but the wages/outstanding contract/deferments are settled by the PL from parachute funds that would have been paid to the club?

yes, on liquidation the parachute payments cannot be considered an asset of the club that can be sold to pay chinny as they lose the right to them as soon as they are liquidated. If someone else, e.g. the PL, wants to use that money to pay the players then they can but on liquidation the players will get nothing directly from the club besides a P45.

A post from corp ho on POL:

I used to post on there quite a lot and there was some good banter. Until they got relegated and we won the cup. Then it changed and some of them became obsessed as we can see now. Crab Lungs, in fact, used to PM me quite regularly on there and seemed alright and after their relegation he changed and became the snide little **** you can see now. He really didn't like it after he posted piles of ill informed ****** on there that I revealed to their board that he once told me in a PM that him and his Dad were watching a Pompey game once and his dad (also a scummer) said to him "I wish our crowd would make as much noise as the Pompey fans". Talk about embarrassed.

There are all sorts of know - nothing idiots on there. There's one who always claimed to have "Inside knowledge" on CSI and posted that they were going to pull out and but Bournemouth and that one of his "contacts" had seen Antonov in Sandbanks talking to Eddie Mitchell (turned out to be the Russian guy who bought into Bournemouth) and also had inside knowledge that CSI's budget for Pompey was £8m for the first year (they promptly spent £10m in the first two months). There are some decent blokes on there, a few of whom I've got to know and keep in touch with and who are sensible enough to realise that if Liebherr hadn't bought scum they could just as easily be in the same position we find ourselves. But the amount on there who want our cup win written out of the records because we "cheated" (when we won it they told me we only did so because we only played lower league teams) or who write to MP's or journalists about us is ridiculous. The fact they didn't have this mindset before their relegation and our cup win tells its own story. That and the media's constant priasing of our fans without them even getting a mention clearly eat at them.

And that's the funniest thing. Because their fans pretty much typify the jester hat wearing family fun day PL experience, they just don't stand out at all. They're like the good little well behaved kid in class that no-one remembers. And probably funniest of all, if the worst comes to the worst and we are liquidated, we will get back into league football relatively quickly (Aldershot and Wimbledon achieved it and with all due respect they're much smaller clubs than us) and when that happens the media will be full of it. There will be constant talk of how good our fans were, how the club was ruined by dodgy businessmen and how we came back and rose above it. And scum will be hovering around lower/ mid table in the PL, they'll undoubtedly suffer a relegation from the PL and maybe go back up again but as usual, the media will ignore them. Because we're Pompey and we always make a noise. And they're the good little kid who always hands in his homework on time that no-one likes or cares about

Oh, deep joy. That just breeds resentment.

Why don't they let "facking scammers" on there? :0-/

No idea. I have been banned three times. The first time I deserved it but the next two times I just tried to be civil and sensible. You made a very fair post there. I reckon even if I was a skate I would still feel the club deserved punishment because of how much they have completely taken the p*ss. In fairness, it seems like PompeyScot gets that, but many of them do not.

yes, on liquidation the parachute payments cannot be considered an asset of the club that can be sold to pay chinny as they lose the right to them as soon as they are liquidated. If someone else, e.g. the PL, wants to use that money to pay the players then they can but on liquidation the players will get nothing directly from the club besides a P45.

Then why all the bleating from the club about the players getting nothing in the event of liquidation? I hope they're not telling porkies just to play to what counts for a gallery over there.

No idea. I have been banned three times. The first time I deserved it but the next two times I just tried to be civil and sensible. You made a very fair post there. I reckon even if I was a skate I would still feel the club deserved punishment because of how much they have completely taken the p*ss. In fairness, it seems like PompeyScot gets that, but many of them do not.

Cheers.

Well, that's the thing... maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand some of the views on there sometimes? To me, and aside from what could be a "pack mentality" on this thread, I don't see that they've been treated unfairly at all, hence my questioning. So, if I'm not banned, I'd like to see their viewpoint, maybe we've all missed something.

Then again, maybe we haven't. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Oh, deep joy. That just breeds resentment.

Why don't they let "facking scammers" on there? :0-/

Because PompeyScot honestly believes that he/they are better than us. No really, he claims along with the rest of them, that we all have Napolean Syndrome and that because of that they are way too superior for us.

As a result of this, PompeyScot has decided that no facking scummers have anything to say worth listening to, and that he will ban them all. Fair enough, it's his website, he can do what he likes with it.

Out of interest does anyone know what his login is on here? I do love the bit on that thread where he states he never comes over to this board, when I distinctly remember him having been here many, many times ;)

I love the way that Ho likes to re-write is own history.

Simple, undeniable fact is that he's a billsh.itting dreamer. Perhaps he needs to check that fact with his contact, high up at the club, who he sees socially every couple of weeks or so as their tips have always been bang on the money.

Also he re-iterates my concern that they seem far more interested in their (perceived) reputation as fans than in the welfare of their club.

Then why all the bleating from the club about the players getting nothing in the event of liquidation? I hope they're not telling porkies just to play to what counts for a gallery over there.

Perhaps because they want the fan's to put pressure on the players to leave ... "Oi Benny, we know you will get nuffink if we is liquizated so why don't you blugger off??"

Perhaps because they want the fan's to put pressure on the players to leave ... "Oi Benny, we know you will get nuffink if we is liquizated so why don't you blugger off??"

Part of the problem is no one really knows what's going to happen with parachute payments & referred salaries but it's clear that the players are receiving advice to sit tight.

Because PompeyScot honestly believes that he/they are better than us. No really, he claims along with the rest of them, that we all have Napolean Syndrome and that because of that they are way too superior for us.

As a result of this, PompeyScot has decided that no facking scummers have anything to say worth listening to, and that he will ban them all. Fair enough, it's his website, he can do what he likes with it.

Out of interest does anyone know what his login is on here? I do love the bit on that thread where he states he never comes over to this board, when I distinctly remember him having been here many, many times ;)

Oh he has definitely been on here. I know because he took issue with some of the things I have said on here in the past. Normally he says things like "I never go onto their site but I just happened to this one time." It's amusing.

Tbf, what some of PompeyScot has written (and I'm sure you can see it) is pretty fair...

Oh yes he certainly seems fairer than a lot of them. I just find it amusing that he says he doesn't care and never looks on here when he has clearly had a look on numerous occasions.

I love the way that Ho likes to re-write is own history.

Simple, undeniable fact is that he's a billsh.itting dreamer. Perhaps he needs to check that fact with his contact, high up at the club, who he sees socially every couple of weeks or so as their tips have always been bang on the money.

specially this one

There are all sorts of know - nothing idiots on there. There's one who always claimed to have "Inside knowledge" on CSI and posted that they were going to pull out and but Bournemouth and that one of his "contacts" had seen Antonov in Sandbanks talking to Eddie Mitchell (turned out to be the Russian guy who bought into Bournemouth) and also had inside knowledge that CSI's budget for Pompey was £8m for the first year (they promptly spent £10m in the first two months). There are some decent blokes on there, a few of whom I've got to know and keep in touch with and who are sensible enough to realise that if Liebherr hadn't bought scum they could just as easily be in the same position we find ourselves. But the amount on there who want our cup win written out of the records because we "cheated" (when we won it they told me we only did so because we only played lower league teams) or who write to MP's or journalists about us is ridiculous. The fact they didn't have this mindset before their relegation and our cup win tells its own story. That and the media's constant priasing of our fans without them even getting a mention clearly eat at them.

the CSI interest in Bompey that did not exist eh

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/cherries/clubnews/9533502.Cherries__Decision_not_to_sell_vindicated_says_Eddie/

And of course no Saints fan could possibly have known anything about them

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/cherries/clubnews/8260131.Cherries__Jackson_linked_with_Russian_bid/

And of course, the source did not have to be LLS as anyone with one more google search of Saints in Admin could have found out OR anyone with a mate who lives in Bournemouth could also have found.

Poor old corpy never did recover from all that, amazed he's still banging on about it now

banker quote

had inside knowledge that CSI's budget for Pompey was £8m for the first year (they promptly spent £10m in the first two months).

I

REST

MY

CASE

I think I won. I think the figure of how much money they ACTUALLY invested in the entire project is pretty clear from the Creditors Report.

Yep, they spent 10mil

Unfortunately it belonged to some poor pensioners in the Baltics they spent the 8mil on their cars & lifestyle

Nice to hear that PompeyScot believes they deserve everything they have been given as a club though. If only every skate was of that opinion.

Well, it's actually quite nice to hear another viewpoint and engage in sensible dialogue.

They could do with their own rallyboy, though...

I have just read Crabby on there....and christ, Corp/banker has gotten boring...where is his Pompey Transfer round up? where is he telling us they are signing riquelme and getting in maradona?...now the going gets tough, the Corp fuks off.

when they say they are blameless as fans..they are to an extent..but for years before league 1...before lowe was gone and before admin...a very large majority wanted him out....and he knew it big time

where was there anger, their so called passion for the club to change....some half hearted "pack the park" initiatives was way too late...

also, when they were in admin in 2010 (i think....lose count) why were they not asking serious questions while they continued to sign players they had no way (or intention I would guess) in paying...where were the serious questions...

there were NONE...none that could be heard in the wider football world..or as close as the other end of the M27...and many of us were listening..

instead, they championed the players that are now sat on their contracts and about to finally kill off the club.

I admire the fans trust thingy...we tried something similar is it was not as good/big as this...we just went for all out demonstration and anger at lowe...

but this is 2 years too late I'm afraid...

Well, it's actually quite nice to hear another viewpoint and engage in sensible dialogue.

They could do with their own rallyboy, though...

Which sadly most are unable to do because posters would get banned. I still don't see what is so bad about letting saints fans on there as long as they are respectful.

It won't last.

You've been lucky so far that it's just the more sensible ones online at the moment.

The knuckle dragging retards will be on there sooner or later and all the abuse will be thrown at you - why, even there own site moderator has alluded to this in his first post and saying 'you'll be on your own then'.

It'll get nasty on there, it always does. They really have no idea how to behave in public! I guess that's why Bill bans the facking scummers as soon as they become known as facking scummers. I guess it's easier to do that than even try to beat some sense into the morons over there!

I strongly disagree with PompeyScot when he says that many pompey fans do not feel they are hard done by. Tons of them do, they say it all the time. You only have to hear the various MPs, people in authority and Neil Allen to see that. Most want the rules to be changed or compromises made to accommodate Pompey. The latest evidence for this is vilifying the players for wanting to keep their contracts. The likes of Kitson probably came to the club for one last pay day and to then see them lose the majority of what they were promised is unjust.

Oh he has definitely been on here. I know because he took issue with some of the things I have said on here in the past. Normally he says things like "I never go onto their site but I just happened to this one time." It's amusing.

I told you! Here is PompeyScot never going on here...

By the way, just had a look on TSF just to see how it's being taken on here, For info to the guys over there, I have never been a member of TSF, I was though registered on Saints Forever, so that's what you're recalling

They've won two meaningful trophies (well, the JPT is meaningful for them) in 126 years.

They have us there I’m afraid. Terrible that a club our size and with our history and the players we have had in the past has not won more trophies. Especially when small clubs like portsmouth have won recent trophies. It is utterly shameful, but then again I suppose we always competed fairly unlike portsmouth.

It won't last.

You've been lucky so far that it's just the more sensible ones online at the moment.

The knuckle dragging retards will be on there sooner or later and all the abuse will be thrown at you - why, even there own site moderator has alluded to this in his first post and saying 'you'll be on your own then'.

It'll get nasty on there, it always does. They really have no idea how to behave in public! I guess that's why Bill bans the facking scummers as soon as they become known as facking scummers. I guess it's easier to do that than even try to beat some sense into the morons over there!

I think it's just begun, though most responses have been so far erudite and interesting. Hopefully we're learning something over here.

I will, of course, press on what we've discussed about on here. Very interesting, this.

They have us there I’m afraid. Terrible that a club our size and with our history and the players we have had in the past has not won more trophies. Especially when small clubs like portsmouth have won recent trophies. It is utterly shameful, but then again I suppose we always competed fairly unlike portsmouth.

They haven't won recent trophies fairly. They cheated to win the FA cup.

I am assuming that as the JPT is a meaningless trophy, the Blue Few will not be partaking in the competition next season.

Does anyone here care enough to construct a reply to the "facking cooooont" who posted this on the POL thread;

The clutch of posts from this afternoon make interesting and (mostly) banter-free reading.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/appy-pleads-with-players-not-to-let-pompey-die-1-4082330

Agreed - I Love Apollo's posts intriguing reading

I think it's just begun, though most responses have been so far erudite and interesting. Hopefully we're learning something over here.

I will, of course, press on what we've discussed about on here. Very interesting, this.

The thing is, the constructive answers come from the fans reps and forum mods, who (to be fair) have always seemed to have had a more balanced view. No problem with people like that who accept that the club is 100% to blame. Its the idiots who bleat on that its the Football League's fault for the Fit and Proper Test, who can't/refuse to see that the latest -10 points is entirely fair (if anything lenient), and who say they wouldn't swap the cup win for being run properly and potential liquidation, that I have no sympathy for whatsoever.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})