Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Really ? Which part of "no-one is going to buy them and the administrator will liquidate within 2 weeks" don't you get ?

Whats with the patronising tone? People are allowed to have different assessments of the same facts you know.

Imo the most likely option is some kind of deal to get the players off the books will happen, probably brokered by the FL using the PPs as a lever. Chanrai will then buy the club for a notional amount and proceed to sell the ground for development. With the Gaydamak land its a big site worth far more than the book value. The club will limp on with a crap squad and facing 10 years or more in the wilderness.

Whats with the patronising tone? People are allowed to have different assessments of the same facts you know.

Imo the most likely option is some kind of deal to get the players off the books will happen, probably brokered by the FL using the PPs as a lever. Chanrai will then buy the club for a notional amount and proceed to sell the ground for development. With the Gaydamak land its a big site worth far more than the book value. The club will limp on with a crap squad and facing 10 years or more in the wilderness.

Sorry, been watching clips of people underlining how screwed they are all afternoon and just assumed everyone would have come to the same conclusion (without having seen the same stuff).

The FL have already laid down their expectations, I seriously doubt they'll assist a club that would be of extremely questionable stability to start a season when they could just be done with them by doing nothing. If they sell the ground (and wouldn't that give Chainrai his cash "out" so he could just wind them up then and there) they'd have to agree a lease-back or rent somewhere else, and no-one's going to get into a rental agreement with them with their history.

The FL will also not have failed to notice Dean Saunders' claims regarding Simon Gillet's contract offer...

Stopping selling tickets?? Blimey.....

That really is the writing on the door... you'd have thought they'd be bitting peoples hands off for cash, not turning them away...

We didn't even sell STs for L1 until the Liebherr takeover was complete, but that was still before the end of July (2009) wasn't it ?

Stopping selling tickets?? Blimey.....

That really is the writing on the door... you'd have thought they'd be bitting peoples hands off for cash, not turning them away...

You'd have thought so, wouldn't you, but I've been constantly amazed how such concepts as cash flow and solvent trading have completely passed them by in the past..

Chinny is not going to come in until these players are off the books and, one assumes, with compromise agreements such that they do not add significantly to the football creditors that chinny has promised to pay. However unless he is willing to put extra money in now there is no money to settle these agreements and no one in their right mind would accept a promise of payment in the future. Put on top of that the firm theory that the players will get all their are owed on liquidation and it hard to see why any of them would sign their money owed away.

Unless I'm missing something, they can't just sell the ground for development though. There's the covenant on it that it can only be used for sports purposes, and you'd have to think if that was indeed Chinny's motive then he'd be blocked at every turn by the council and planning departments?

Unless I'm missing something, they can't just sell the ground for development though. There's the covenant on it that it can only be used for sports purposes, and you'd have to think if that was indeed Chinny's motive then he'd be blocked at every turn by the council and planning departments?

The council have said that the covenant only applies whilst the club exists.

Well looks like TBH is ready to do a deal, but Birch has to match it. I have to say, it would be my opening gambit if I was him as well, but a chink of light for the blue few that a deal could be done.

The problem is, if one person (Kanu) refuses to budge, it's hard to see how the others will, knowing that one of their colleagues is getting full whack.

Come on then Birch...... How much of a compromise are you willing to take on your fees...

From a B&H fan (http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?250070-Pompey/page2) :

"Have to meet them to have sympathy, then I go through the following

Question: "How many times have you won the FA cup?"

Answer = 2: Reply "No, the second one doesnt count. GFY"

Answer = 1: Then Question "When?"

Answer = 1939 or 'a long time ago' "You sir are a true fan aware of the history of your club and accepting that your more recent successes were cheating. You have my deepest sympathies and if there is ever anything I can do to help you with the formation and funding of AFC Portsmouth please let me know"

Answer = "2008" or "A few years back" or "dead recent" -- "I am genuinely confused as to whether I wish you or your club to die first. I am also somewhat puzzled that you have not started supporting another club for you have no soul. Please start running in case I decide the best thing to do for humanity's sake is to beat you to death with a bell."

Someone on Skate forum reckons deadline is 1st Aug but needs to be 7 days notice given....hence the rumour of an 'announcement' of some sort tomorrow????

( wonder if the 1st Aug is to do with FL needing to have enough time to rearrange fixture lists to include new team?).

The council have said that the covenant only applies whilst the club exists.

Yeah that's my point, Chinny couldn't just take over and sell the ground while the club was still going. He'd have to liquidate and keep the charge over the ground, refuse to allow a Phoenix club to use Fratton.

@pn_neil_allen: In just one day @SOSPompey got the UK's media to focus on #Pompey and smoked out Ben Haim and Chainrai for rare interviews. Superb effort.

He's starting to remind me of the Iraqi Information Minister. Superb effort indeed... just like all the other superb efforts that Pompey have come up with so far...

From a B&H fan (http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?250070-Pompey/page2) :

"Have to meet them to have sympathy, then I go through the following

Question: "How many times have you won the FA cup?"

Answer = 2: Reply "No, the second one doesnt count. GFY"

Answer = 1: Then Question "When?"

Answer = 1939 or 'a long time ago' "You sir are a true fan aware of the history of your club and accepting that your more recent successes were cheating. You have my deepest sympathies and if there is ever anything I can do to help you with the formation and funding of AFC Portsmouth please let me know"

Answer = "2008" or "A few years back" or "dead recent" -- "I am genuinely confused as to whether I wish you or your club to die first. I am also somewhat puzzled that you have not started supporting another club for you have no soul. Please start running in case I decide the best thing to do for humanity's sake is to beat you to death with a bell."

:lol:

Well looks like TBH is ready to do a deal, but Birch has to match it. I have to say, it would be my opening gambit if I was him as well, but a chink of light for the blue few that a deal could be done.

The problem is, if one person (Kanu) refuses to budge, it's hard to see how the others will, knowing that one of their colleagues is getting full whack.

Come on then Birch...... How much of a compromise are you willing to take on your fees...

I simply can't see how players will accept a deal. They would have to write off hundreds of thousands of deferred payments, on the off chance that they might get some of it back over 5 years. And write off any claim they have to their earnings over the final duration of their contract.

Alternatively they can refuse a deal and if the club goes under become a football creditor, and therefore in line for a much bigger chunk of the parachute payments as their compensation.

The only decision they have to make is the moral one; do they lose out on a huge sum of money so that this incarnation of the football club can survive? Or do they not agree to compromise, see the club go under and reform, and actually get paid a decetn whack of what they are owed?

Its a moral dilemma for the players, there is no financial argument at all that can be made.

Councils cant just do what they want. Covenants mean next to nothing, they are routinely overturned by the courts. All Chainrai would have to do is to show that a lg1 club cant support a 21,000 capacity stadium and there was an acute local need for additional housing / supermarket / light industrial units.

Councils cant just do what they want. Covenants mean next to nothing, they are routinely overturned by the courts. All Chainrai would have to do is to show that a lg1 club cant support a 21,000 capacity stadium and there was an acute local need for additional housing / supermarket / light industrial units.

I think that's a massively tough sell. There's all sorts of precedents for League 1 clubs sustaining a stadium of that size. Espcecially so were they to just mothball one or two stands. IMO that wouldn't come close to stacking up.

The council and planners would fight tooth and nail to stop first a sale of the ground and then development permissions, I just could in no way at all see that happening. If they were liquidated then yes, or course. But Chainrai is seeking to first of all keep the club going. I'd say his next option is liquidation and a sale, but not CVA and then a sale.

I just cannot see TBH or Kanu backing down as they will be, or are, out of the country so don't give a flying fu.ck about pompey, the press or how they are viewed.

TBH was at training. Although with the witchhunt being whipped up I wouldn't be surprised to see players refusing to show up for fear of their personal safety.

@skysports_bryan: Spoken to Balu Chainrai: "Need compromise on lowering player wages.. unbearable for club. Survival lies in their hands"

Even Chainrai's blaming the players now. You couldn't make this sh*t up. You seriously couldn't.

I know he was, but when it's all over he'll be sat in the sun with his wad of dosh not giving a sh.it about pompey.

Oh of course, I agree. As I say I wouldn't be surprised if TBH does the off pretty soon, claiming fears for his safety. Kanu ain't coming back any time soon so he's gone, Kitson is in the firing line so he may choose that way out too. All the while the little sh*t storm being created here has little or no effect.

In that case use the Brighton Goldstone defence to Brighton Council - we need to sell the ground to stave off bankruptcy (oops the money fell into my pocket instead of the club's)

Like I say, I think its only a possibility if the club is liquidated first. Chinny's primary objectove is to get the high wage earners out, cream off as much of the parachute payments as possible then bail out. I think a realistic option 2 for him is going to be liquidate the club and then sell for development with the football covenant out of the way. I don't see a scenario whereby the club continuing with a sold ground for development is a likely possibility.

You forgot Monkey Petting zoo

:cry: Think it's time we all started learning this. :cry:

F*ck off!

That would infer some kind of romantic undertone to all of this when it's actually more like seeing the mangy disease-ridden fox that occasionally stopped to eat in your garden, being put down. Yeah, you might miss it occasionally, but you know it's for the best because ultimately it is mangy and disease-ridden.

And there ain't any songs about mangy disease-ridden Fox's.

Iraqi+Information+Minister.jpg

We have smoked out the Infidels Ben Haim and Chainrai for rare interviews. The administrators are not within 100 miles of Fratton!

Ha Ha ... beat me to it.

it still amazes me (although admittedly by now it shouldn't) that on one hand they are trying to shame current players with valid contracts to rip them up, yet on the other hand seemingly offer new contracts that a club like Doncaster can't come anywhere near matching, and actively looking at more recruitment too!!

Also bearing in mind most of those contracts were quite recently granted, even though they were obviously not going to honour CVA1 or even small creditors, it still seems they haven't, or more likely don't give a flying feck about consequences.

FOAD you cesspit of of a club.

So TBH 'may' be willing to do a deal if TB writes off some of the admin costs.

But no one's prepared to ask Balu to write anything off?

I'm genuinely confused.

Getting TB to write off some of his fee's is impossible, getting chinny to write anything off is one step further than that!

As a club they're drowning & it should'nt be a surprise that they'll grasp at anything - blame the league for the f&ppt, blame the players, blame birch, blame chanrai, gaydamak, harry & all the rest, yet still they'll not connect the dots and see their largesse over recent years has put them in this position. As Mr T in the A-team would say, "Pity the Fool".

Getting TB to write off some of his fee's is impossible, getting chinny to write anything off is one step further than that!

Can only be a case of 'pass the blame' a bit like 'pass the parcel' but whoever's left holding the package when the music stops is next in line to be vilified by the fans.

There are a lot of questions being asked on the fish Forum. Lets try and answer some:-

emmbee81

Given that TBH, through his agent has said he has no intention of playing League 1 football, can TB not take this as an indication of his notice and therefore remove him from the club in 14 days?

NO AND IT’S LOOKING VERY LIKELY THAT HE IS NOT THE ONLY SKATE THAT WON’T BE PLAYING LEAGUE 1 FOOTBALL -

Alternatively, if he refuses to play can he not be fined as Man City did with Tevez?

NO – BUT WHAT AN IMAGINATIVE WAY TO TRY AND MAKE MONEY FOR YOUR CLUB

Harry Stotle

Is this the same Trevor Birch that told us the deadline was June 30th before the league fixtures are drawn up?

YES

Is this the same Trevor Birch who told us he was confident that we wouldn't have a points deduction?

YES – YES IT IS. IN TREV WE TRUST.

Appy Pompeii

Can we not make these players in question sit down for a press conference and put all the focus on them and ask them the questions and see how they answer and why they are doing what they say ?

YOU COULD:- “PLEASE PLAYERS WE HAD AN AGREEMENT FOR YOU TO DEFER YOUR WAGES (WHICH YOU DID) AND WE WOULD NOW LIKE TO CHANGE THAT AGREEMENT AND GIVE YOU **** ALL” PLEASE, PLEASE HAVE A PRESS CONFERENCE.

Southstand Johnny

I've just read the SOS Pompey letter. did someone seriously send/give this to players?

OH MY ACHING SIDES – YES THEY DID.

Let's hope the national press don't get a copy of wot was rit! dear oh dear, did you not get someone to proof read this letter?

YES THEY DID AND COULDN’T FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT

Pompey will not only be the most vilified club in football history but the biggest laughing stock!

OH GOD PLEASE

Farside1

Did he comment on the offers the club are making to a number of triallists and others to make them "the highest paid players in League 1" next season?

NO HE DIDN’T. BUT HEY PAYING HIGH WAGES IS WHAT BRINGS SUCCESS ISN’T IT?

From a B&H fan, sound familiar ? (http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?250070-Pompey/page4 )

Good points.

Unfortunately wage caps dont work.

Portsmouth cannot currently offer a contract to anyone of course but they are supposedly introducing a strict £6k a week maximum wage for next season (in League 1 FFS!).

They currently have a number of triallists with them - some may indeed play against us tomorrow night. A number of those triallists have been attracted by the prospect of getting a deal at League 1 level but there are some who have been specifically targetted and have already been (unofficially) offered a deal at around £5k PLUS add-ons including additional pension benefits, image rights, appearance bonuses, goals bonuses, points bonuses, promotion bonuses....................... ............. in one case (and I have reason to suspect more than one) I understand that the recipient is guaranteed a package in the order of £7K to £8K a week as a minimum even though the theoretical wage cap will be adhered to.

Average player earnings for other clubs in League 1 are, I understand less than £2K a week

Portsmouth Football Club.................guarantee d never to learn from experience

F*ck off!

That would infer some kind of romantic undertone to all of this when it's actually more like seeing the mangy disease-ridden fox that occasionally stopped to eat in your garden, being put down. Yeah, you might miss it occasionally, but you know it's for the best because ultimately it is mangy and disease-ridden.

And there ain't any songs about mangy disease-ridden Fox's.

Smelly fox, smelly fox, what are they feeding you? Mangy fox, mangy fox, it's not your fault :(

Mangy disease-ridden foxes aside, it looks like it really could be end game this time round. With no Justine Whoever to save them either. Ah well.

They will survive. They will get a fee for Huseklepp which will keep them going for a while whilst they get rid of the others. I reckon they may be left with one or two of the high wage earners but that that should be few enough to get one of the takeovers through.

Alternatively they can refuse a deal and if the club goes under become a football creditor, and therefore in line for a much bigger chunk of the parachute payments as their compensation.

The only decision they have to make is the moral one; do they lose out on a huge sum of money so that this incarnation of the football club can survive? Or do they not agree to compromise, see the club go under and reform, and actually get paid a decetn whack of what they are owed?

But aren't some of the Blue Few claiming that if they are liquidated then the football creditors bit is irrelevant and they are in the same queue as normal creditors getting the square root of feck all??????

Have to say that does have potential to make sense as the Football Creditors rule would only apply to a football club playing the league and of they are liquidated then it won't apply.

In which case I can see a game of poker being played and the players eventually giving in and the Blue Few getting away with it again.

But aren't some of the Blue Few claiming that if they are liquidated then the football creditors bit is irrelevant and they are in the same queue as normal creditors getting the square root of feck all??????

Have to say that does have potential to make sense as the Football Creditors rule would only apply to a football club playing the league and of they are liquidated then it won't apply.

In which case I can see a game of poker being played and the players eventually giving in and the Blue Few getting away with it again.

The opinion is, I believe, that as far as the club in concerned they would get nothing from the liquidation but that there as indications that they would get paid from the remaining unused parachute payments.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})