Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

More pressure put on the players by the few...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18958234

I wouldn't be surprised if the PFA has told the players to dig their heals in over this. It sets a dangerous precedent for their members if clubs' owners can blackmail them into handing over their money just so they can get their mits on it further down the line.

The PFA need to make an example of pompey to ensure future contracts are honoured at other clubs or else.

I think more than the PFA will be watching.

UEFA & FIFA and not to mention the EU Courts (after all it was the Bosman ruling that changed a great deal

Bad management and dodgy dealing is nothing new at Pompey. It didn't start when Mandaric sold the club to Gaydamak, although the scale of recent years is staggering. They have a history of it.

Back in the sixties they had financial problems and scrapped the youth team. Those released/missed included ex-Saints Mick Mills, Bobby Stokes and Steve Mills. Really short term decision.

Then again in the seventies they tried to buy promotion to the then First Division. Expensive failures such as Peter Marinello meant that Ian St John ended up throwing kids such as a young Chris Kamara into the team. Ended up getting relegated to Division 3 in 1976.

When David Deacon was chairman he threw huge sums of money at the club. He was taking the profits from his other companies and using them to subsidise Pompey. I guess that there may have been tax benefits in doing this but he ended up having to stop doing it and selling up.

Meanwhile no-one spent any money on the ground or facilities.

Saints, meanwhile, have generally been run on a sound financial footing, apart from the stunning ineptitude of the Crouch/Wilde era. Even Rupert Lowe, who should never have been let anywhere near the club for lots of other reasons, managed the finances OK

My personal view is that they should be liquidated ASAP, get the PST to start a phoenix club, and run the club properly along the same lines as AFC Wimbledon and see how far they can get. Along with the obnoxious knuckle-dragging minority, they do have decent supporters (including my next door neightbour) who deserve better. They hate the current owners every bit as much as we do.

Not sure if many will agree with the above sentiments, but I kind of think that there are limits to schadenfreude. Can't see much point in having local rivals if you don't get to play them and give them a good beating every now and then.

Varney may have gone for 300K......but the Skates won't see a penny. They still owe Derby 300K from when they signed him so the money will go from Leeds direct to Derby. Interested to see if Varney had a compromise agreement with the Skates

Well, at least (if we did not have a swear filter) we know what to put on our wreath when we lay it in memory of them .....

TEN F**CK**G PEOPLE

Actually the article says "About 10" (Surely even he should have been able to use his fingers to count the exact number?) so I not be surprised if there were only 7 or 8 of them.

Edited by pedg

Varney may have gone for 300K......but the Skates won't see a penny. They still owe Derby 300K from when they signed him so the money will go from Leeds direct to Derby. Interested to see if Varney had a compromise agreement with the Skates

Given that when a player leaves they are due all the money they had otherwise not been paid one would assume that a compromise agreement was a necessity.

The plague is spreading :scared:

Arrest made in $400 million USS Miami blaze

By Charles McMahon

cmcmahon@seacoastonline.com

July 23, 2012 9:22 AM

PORTLAND, Maine — A civilian employee of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard has been arrested in connection with the May 23 blaze that caused $400 million in damage aboard the submarine USS Miami.

Casey James Fury, 24 of Portsmouth, was a civilian employee working aboard the submarine as a painter and sandblaster, according to an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Maine. Fury is a 2006 graduate of Portsmouth High School.

Court documents show Fury has admitted to causing not only the submarine fire, but another small fire on dry dock #2 on June 16.

Fury admitted to federal agents that he lit rags on fire with a lighter to start the first fire, and then lit alcohol wipes on fire in the second fire, according to court records.

I know its Portsmouth in the U.S. but that town must have been started by skates form the U.K.

Bob Beech has always been an advocate of "Plan B" but they've left it too late for this year.

Good job we weren't saying they should get their arses in gear for Plan B around page 500 of this then... :rolleyes:

Interesting to hear about the Ashton Gate 8 on that talksport clip...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/articles/2007/01/24/ashtongate8interviews_feature.shtml

The players Geoff Merrick, Chris Garland, Trevor Tainton, David Rodgers, Jimmy Mann, Gerry Sweeney, Peter Aitken and Julian Marshall, all had to agree to the proposed idea that they would only get half of their contract, if they left.

Half their contract? Skate players could only dream of a compromise agreement of that scale!

Good job we weren't saying they should get their arses in gear for Plan B around page 500 of this then... :rolleyes:

The impression I got was that the Trust, early on, was split between the pro/anti Plan B factions & eventually the anti's won out. This despite TB telling them to save their money for a phoenix club.

Although Harry J's version (beloved of the Shed/North Stand) came first Tommy McCook & The supersonics did a later cover version, not quite as good though IMHO.

Bloody hell, big respect there - I never knew Tommy McCook had covered Liquidator. Presumably it was a saxed-up version compared to Harry J's... ;)

Interesting interview, especially the parallels drawn between those Pompey players who could write 'their names in history', just as in the 1980's, when those players from Bristol City, or was it Town, no City I think - you know, those players that, actually nobody even remembers anymore, tore up their contracts. Absolutely classic.

Edited by Micky

so what have we learned today then my little nutjob friends?

1. Avram's passion 'has been stirred', so he is presumably cruising the streets of Horton Heath tonight in 2nd gear...mainly because his trousers are caught around the pedals.

Yes, if the old fella's stirring then he'll be out there now, popping his little Astra up the ringroad.

2. Trevor Birch hasn't spoken to any players - which might explain why negotiations have been slow, he hasn't actually started them. :o

3. We also discovered the Trust's great plan.

Tell you what, this is the most important letter we will write in our lifetime, shall we get it done professionally?

No, just chuck it together, it's only aimed at people thicker than us - we should also insult the players in it, they'll like that.

Shall we make it a real show of strength and gather our entire fanbase at the gate to deliver them?

Yes.

4. We had a timely reminder via PoL of why the majority on here don't care about them.

5. They seem to have stopped selling tickets....mmm.

When Birch says the club could be liquidated in two weeks, does he actually mean that his company's exposure to the running costs are predicted to kick in then, so he has started locking gates and executing club cats etc?

Surely he hasn't managed to gobble up all of the potential parachute payments already?

I'm no expert but the signs would suggest that they could now be moving onto the next stage of what is known in technical circles as being in a little bit of a pickle.

nice one Guan.:lol:

Anyone else getting fed up with trevors constant harping that "the club COULD be liquidated" rubbish to try

and put pressure on people to do what they obviously have no intention of doing?

Don't keep spouting off just grow some and finally actually do something - kill them.

Yeh yeh well I COULD win the lottery and become a millionaire within the next two weeks or

maybe I mean the next two months or maybe I really mean the next few years. Bet that don't

work with the lottery for myself either.

I heard that the 10 hard-core fans who turned up to Eastleigh to deliver the letter were in turn awarded a first team trial. Michael Apleton was heard to comment "if only we had more of the bestest bother to turn up I could have a had a full squad"

One down...

@solentsport: #Pompey striker Luke Varney has completed a medical at #LUFC and is set to finalise his move north on a two-year deal

Morning Trouser's so one down and seven to go, tick tock.

@themaldenmccall: I can confirm that there is absolutely no truth in the rumour #pompey will be liquidated live on TV as part of the Olympic closing ceremony, at this stage it is just a rumour.

I'm trying to start a rumour from my twitter account. I think it's a nice idea, maybe their company documents can be set on fire by the Olympic flame. Millions round the world cheer as Le Tissier carries the Olympic tourch up to Birch and together they burn the fish fukcers into the history books..... Just an idea mind.

Varney's move is a good one for the other players. The money paid for him will pay off the remainder of his outstanding transfer fee meaning a reduction in the other football creditors so more of the parachute payments money will go to the remaining players.

Thats almost as stupid as paying Rangers a lump sum the day before the clearance was made anyway ;)

Probably more to do with making sure that they (Leeds) get "unencumbered title"to the goods

Leeds may have known Derby were still owed money so the headline 300k figure was worth paying knowing there could be no attempt by Derby to "repossess" him

@themaldenmccall: I can confirm that there is absolutely no truth in the rumour #pompey will be liquidated live on TV as part of the Olympic closing ceremony, at this stage it is just a rumour.

I'm trying to start a rumour from my twitter account. I think it's a nice idea, maybe their company documents can be set on fire by the Olympic flame. Millions round the world cheer as Le Tissier carries the Olympic tourch up to Birch and together they burn the fish fukcers into the history books..... Just an idea mind.

Ohhh, of COURSE they'll wait for the Olympics to start before burying the news. I wouldn't be surprised if Birch liquidates them during the Men's 100m Final...

I don't think they should allow the burning of the financial forensics for the future inquiry though, they could do with those for criminal prosecutions (hopefully).

Edited by The9

If anyone is interested I think this says Daddy lost his claim against Leviev over the "Blood diamonds in Angola"

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2012/1740.html

2 The claims arise out of the parties' business activities in Angola, mainly in relation to diamonds.... The legal position in Angola is (and was) that diamonds are state property and can only be exported with a licence from a state-owned

4 Mr Gaydamak says that he introduced Mr Leviev, an internationally renowned diamond trader, to front for him as he (Mr Gaydamak) was experiencing reputational problems in France and elsewhere from at least December 2000, when an international arrest warrant was issued against him. Mr Gaydamak says that Mr Leviev agreed to hold half his (Mr Leviev's) interest in Ascorp for him, and that he and Mr Leviev agreed to split their interests in all their respective Angolan businesses, as to "profit and responsibility" 50/50.

88 Mr Gaydamak was asked about the money that Mr Leviev had paid him in respect of his alleged 50% interest in the Angolan diamond and other businesses. He accepted that payments had been made from 2001 to 2005, not 2003 as he had said in his statement. And he contended that, overall, between US$100m and US$150 million had been paid at the rate of approximately US$2-3 million per month until January or February 2005 (first to Calsen, then to Pusan, and finally to Antanta, with less being paid towards the end of the period). He said he had ultimately split these sums 50/50 with his then partner Mr Pierre Falcone ("Mr Falcone").

89 Mr Gaydamak's answers in relation to monies paid before the 2001 Agreement were particularly illuminating as they demonstrated, extraordinarily candidly, the lawless and unstructured nature of the enterprise upon which he was engaged:-

..... (lots of detail but no mention of the Cheats)....

Conclusions

257 For the reasons I have given, I find that the 2001 Agreement was indeed signed by Mr Gaydamak and Mr Leviev, and was a valid and enforceable agreement. But, the parties entered into a valid and binding Settlement Agreement which took effect on 6th August 2011, whereby each party released all claims against the other.

258 Accordingly the claim will be dismissed. I will hear counsel on the question of costs and any appropriate ancillary orders

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})