Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

... not having ever lived in Southampton, I guess the local rivalry for me, was never more than sporting... Portsmouth were just another club who when played I wanted to beat, but nothing that was that much more than the normal extra spice that comes with a derby. I got to know several pompey fans who were decent guys, normal fans, passionate but realistic and who also had plenty of other normal things in their lives. In effect, I was indifferent to them.

IF they had suddenly gone bankrupt in the old div 1 or 2, due to a criminal having raided the accounts, defrauded them etc, I would have totally acknowledged and agreed that the club should in no way be sanctioned - and I would have felt for the fans - afterall, under those circumstances one could rightly argue that they had never had any sporting or competitive advantage from such fraudulant activity.

The reason for the last two admins is plain and simple - they entered contracts they could not afford to gain a competitive advantage, not once, but twice and failed to offload the liabilty twice when they had the chance to, in the vain belief that they had a right to be more competitive than the rest and that promotion back would cover the cost and justify th risk.

Now who sanctioned this spending, which parent company went bust, who decided they did not have the money etc is irrelevent - the SANCTIONs and punishment are NOT designed to stop owners, dodgy or overwise making stupid decisions, the PL, FL can not control that and nor can the fans, no the sanctions and punishments are in direct response to the fact that by not paying bills footballing or otherwise for whatever reason, they have had a competitive advantage and unusally high levels of success - something which as the fans acknowledge no one can take away from them - they enjoyed that success - and enjoy it still to day, a chance denied to most clubs who try and keep things within their own precarious budgets... because they had owners willing to take financial risks whilst monies were still owed to others - that others simply were not.

Players who signed in good faith, whatever we think of wages/greed in football is irrelevent, players who signed contracts and gave them some of that success they enjoyed were hounded and stigmatised by the very same fans and worse a 'jounalist' who should have known better, who only a few months ago were being commended for their loyalty at a time when a departure would have eased the financial woes, if not the sporting ones - again a failure to see the bigger picture either morally or ethically, with fans and media patting the high earners on the back as they helped out in the ticket office and kept alive a slim chance of survival... maintaining a Sporting advantage...

Its the attitude of the ignorant , no ethics, no morals, no class.

They now wish to compare their sad predicament to our own humble days - a rush of blood to the head of a couple of decent local fans made good that should never have been sanctioned, sowed the eventual seeds but for which we paid a price... .... and despite doing everthing financially we could to avoid it ... reducing expenditure on players and wages to a bare minimum and REDUCING our competitiveness. Indeed, it had been the refusal to spend beyond our income and mortage committments, run a strict wage policy etc, that meant that we went backwards in terms of competitiveness in the first place that led to prem relegation... we got lucky and were saved by a man whose reputation for ethical business was flawless, a decent honorable man, who at teh end of a business life saw an opportunity to see what he could build, who Luck played a part, certainly, but wise and prudent investment in the recent passed at the expence of a competitive advantage on the field, meant we had made our own luck and were an attactive proposition.

But a man whose integrity could not be questioned, who had no hatred or ill will to our neighbours is slurred with accusations of links to war crimes, and sick jokes like the one above - the mark of desperate men

Now it looks like they will survive another day, saved by one of the very folk they say are to blame for their fall from grace - the irony is perfect - but lost on them. Hero status bestowed on the villain, juxtaposed to the villain status bestowed on those previous 'loyal heroes' -

If they truely were the 'Bestest' fans, they would not now be celebrating the successful write off of debts bigger than Rangers, they would be ashamed. Their trust would have committed to creditors first and playing success second - with a priority to reestablishing some integrity and pride - pride in doing the RIGHT thing, not in hoping for a quick promotion. Had they had that contrition, they would have my sympathy and wishes of luck and good grace... yet they talk of a further kick in balls to creditors, the tax man and charities... seems the pompey way...

... not having ever lived in Southampton, I guess the local rivalry for me, was never more than sporting... Portsmouth were just another club who when played I wanted to beat, but nothing that was that much more than the normal extra spice that comes with a derby. I got to know several pompey fans who were decent guys, normal fans, passionate but realistic and who also had plenty of other normal things in their lives. In effect, I was indifferent to them.

IF they had suddenly gone bankrupt in the old div 1 or 2, due to a criminal having raided the accounts, defrauded them etc, I would have totally acknowledged and agreed that the club should in no way be sanctioned - and I would have felt for the fans - afterall, under those circumstances one could rightly argue that they had never had any sporting or competitive advantage from such fraudulant activity.

The reason for the last two admins is plain and simple - they entered contracts they could not afford to gain a competitive advantage, not once, but twice and failed to offload the liabilty twice when they had the chance to, in the vain belief that they had a right to be more competitive than the rest and that promotion back would cover the cost and justify th risk.

Now who sanctioned this spending, which parent company went bust, who decided they did not have the money etc is irrelevent - the SANCTIONs and punishment are NOT designed to stop owners, dodgy or overwise making stupid decisions, the PL, FL can not control that and nor can the fans, no the sanctions and punishments are in direct response to the fact that by not paying bills footballing or otherwise for whatever reason, they have had a competitive advantage and unusally high levels of success - something which as the fans acknowledge no one can take away from them - they enjoyed that success - and enjoy it still to day, a chance denied to most clubs who try and keep things within their own precarious budgets... because they had owners willing to take financial risks whilst monies were still owed to others - that others simply were not.

Players who signed in good faith, whatever we think of wages/greed in football is irrelevent, players who signed contracts and gave them some of that success they enjoyed were hounded and stigmatised by the very same fans and worse a 'jounalist' who should have known better, who only a few months ago were being commended for their loyalty at a time when a departure would have eased the financial woes, if not the sporting ones - again a failure to see the bigger picture either morally or ethically, with fans and media patting the high earners on the back as they helped out in the ticket office and kept alive a slim chance of survival... maintaining a Sporting advantage...

They now wish to compare their sad predicament to our own humble days - a rush of blood to the head of a couple of decent local fans made good that should never have been sanctioned, sowed the eventual seeds but for which we paid a price... .... and despite doing everthing financially we could to avoid it ... reducing expenditure on players and wages to a bare minimum and REDUCING our competitiveness. Indeed, it had been the refusal to spend beyond our income and mortage committments, run a strict wage policy etc, that meant that we went backwards in terms of competitiveness in the first place that led to prem relegation... we got lucky and were saved by a man whose reputation for ethical business was flawless, a decent honorable man, who at teh end of a business life saw an opportunity to see what he could build, who Luck played a part, certainly, but wise and prudent investment in the recent passed at the expence of a competitive advantage on the field, meant we had made our own luck and were an attactive proposition.

But a man whose integrity could not be questioned, who had no hatred or ill will to our neighbours is slurred with accusations of links to war crimes, and sick jokes like the one above - the mark of desperate men

Now it looks like they will survive another day, saved by one of the very folk they say are to blame for their fall from grace - the irony is perfect - but lost on them. Hero status bestowed on the villain, juxtaposed to the villain status bestowed on those previous 'loyal heroes' -

If they truely were the 'Bestest' fans, they would not now be celebrating the successful write off of debts bigger than Rangers, they would be ashamed. Their trust would have committed to creditors first and playing success second - with a priority to reestablishing some integrity and pride - pride in doing the RIGHT thing, not in hoping for a quick promotion. Had they had that contrition, they would have my sympathy and wishes of luck and good grace... yet they talk of a further kick in balls to creditors, the tax man and charities... seems the pompey way...

Frank's cousin, I applaud you.

Please send that to Football365 or something equal. Something that is national and will give allowance to written articles.

Edited by Colinjb

Amen!

PST Spokesperson ‏@pompeytrust

@PompeyCal @marky_j76 @pn_neil_allen PST is working on the assumption that 75% of fans commit to their pledges.

Didn't they need 90% of pledges to be payed?! :facepalm:

Yes. P.10 of the council officers' report- "* Share scheme – PST are assuming that on average each pledge amounts to £100 and therefore 1,670 pledges have been made. NB - to secure the £1.5m a 90% conversion rate of pledges to shares of £1,000 would need to be achieved.

That Trevor bloke seems to have caught something from a lot of you good people ( as well as catching

other stuff from "them" ) BOTH keep delaying the date for the execution to be carried out. :x

I want it done now - not have to wait until 2014, I might not be around to see that happy day. :(

Looking at it objectively, one might say that their much-heralded 'Pompey Dream' is a thing of illusion, smoke and mirrors. It is built of nothing more substantial than hype and spin, and can be reliably expected to collapse all over again very shortly. If I cared about them in the slightest, it would be galling and frustrating. Indeed, I might be turning incandescent with baffled rage.

As it is, its just hilarious and as time goes on they will lose more and more of any remaining goodwill that might have been out there in the world at large, as they become a by-word for self-delusion and financial recklessness.

I can hardly wait for the next instalment of this long-running farce

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant...Can not be worded any better sir!

So say we all.

When the final footnotes of this sad and sorry saga are written, that post should be (spellchecked ;)), then printed and framed into a sticky for all future generations of Saints Fans to read and understand .

This thread is not just about us "having a pop" it has been about our outrage at their cheating

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/appy-left-waiting-for-answers-over-new-faces-1-4153719

‘So if I can’t sign anyone, my only other option is to play the youth team. I’m not trying to be smart or to make a point but that is my only other option.’

Then use that option! Save some money and pay off creditors! :facepalm:

What a shame he got rid of a bunch of them last season.

What a shame he got rid of a bunch of them last season.

That's the "Pompey Way" for you....

Threatening to play the kids, even though they have no money to sign new players. Posting a 90% pledge return to the council, then saying on Twitter they only aim for 75% on after the loan has been approved. Getting to an overall income for the city of £300 mill because of Pompey, even though they have flogged £130 mill of debt and are now in Leauge 1.

The "Pompey Way", reserved for only the "bestest fans" in the land.....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/appy-left-waiting-for-answers-over-new-faces-1-4153719

‘So if I can’t sign anyone, my only other option is to play the youth team. I’m not trying to be smart or to make a point but that is my only other option.’

Then use that option! Save some money and pay off creditors! :facepalm:

What did Bompey do a few seasons ago that merited a Buying and Loan Embargo that lasted at least a season or more?

Surely Bompey's punishment of -17 pts and an Embargo was far more punitive thanwhat Skatesmuff have been dealt with over the last few farcical cheating years, for lesser crimes.

Why?

Edited by ericofarabia

The Pompey boss said: ‘I had a discussion with them (Portpin) in the first week of May.

‘But the impression I get now is that the goalposts have changed in terms of that budget that was mentioned.

‘Everything depends on the budget that I am given.

‘If it goes through and the deal gets done in terms of the club, the owners have to come back to me with a budget.

‘I will then know what their realistic expectations are for the season – whether they want to go up, whether they want to be competitive or whether they just want to survive.

‘If I had 25 players in mind, I might get a budget where I can sign all 25 players.

‘But they might come to me with a budget that only allows me to sign maybe 12 or even fewer. Then I would have to start working out which ones.’

..or you could build a squad that the club can afford.

PST Spokesperson ‏@pompeytrust

@PompeyCal @marky_j76 @pn_neil_allen PST is working on the assumption that 75% of fans commit to their pledges.

Didn't they need 90% of pledges to be payed?! :facepalm:

Nope, they need 472% of the pledges to be honoured

@pn_neil_allen: Liam Lawrence today raising crucial questions about Portpin. Must-read story from @pn_steve_wilson http://t.co/op42iHat

Ha hahaha

So Lawrence & Appy STILL thought that they could afford to pay Lawrence 10k a week in League 1.

Man I so have to have a weekend down in pompey when I retire & leave here, they must have some great sh1t to smoke down there

Ha hahaha

So Lawrence & Appy STILL thought that they could afford to pay Lawrence 10k a week in League 1.

Man I so have to have a weekend down in pompey when I retire & leave here, they must have some great sh1t to smoke down there

It may seem that finally, they are going to have to pay more realistic sums for players.

If they get that far, if it's still 50/50 that they will survive and contract offers are being withdrawn by Birch/Portpin then they may have decided that it's time to wind them up regardless.

‘If I had 25 players in mind, I might get a budget where I can sign all 25 players.

‘But they might come to me with a budget that only allows me to sign maybe 12 or even fewer. Then I would have to start working out which ones.’

..or you could build a squad that the club can afford.

There is something in the water on that island, I'm sure of it. Appy started out as a reasonably sane and intelligent individual, but has ended up spouting the same gibberish they all do. So it's going to be Howard & McLeod v Argyle, taking it in turns to be rush goalie.

Hehe, it looks like reality is starting to hit home for our slithery friends from the east. They are going to be fielding a VERY weak side if they survive.

Anyway, LL. He was contracted to the summer of 2014, so has two years left on his contract. LL claims he will lose £1m over the next two years as a result of the compromise agreement, and given that he was on close to £1m per year means that the skates must still owe him £1m. PLUS any money deferred, which must be around £300,000. :? Are they really able to repay these sort of deferrals / compromise agreements? Will they even try to pay these figures back? So many questions, so many obvious answers! :rolleyes:

[...]

Excellent. Cynical without being overly dramatic. Good work that man :thumbup:

Edit: and might I add, presumably also very therapeutic for you ;)

Edited by Lazlo78

Ha hahaha

Hmmm, so he was on £19,000 a week and agreed to a roughly 60% pay cut, meaning he'd be on around £7000-£8000 a week. They then made an offer that was 'unacceptable' so must be no more than £5000 p/w?

Excellent piece.

That phrase in Latin = non ethicam, non mores, non genus.

That should be added to their club badge

Think that last "genus" has to be redefined. Genus is more related to classes in biology, not class as in "style", as in this context.

But then again, they are skates. :)

Looks like the fun's started earlier than we thought it would.

From the Pompey News

Chainrai threatens to walk away from Pompey over adminstrator-fee dispute

BALRAM Chainrai has threatened to walk away from Pompey in a dispute over administration fees.

Mr Chainrai’s firm Portpin has been poised to take on Portsmouth Football Club again after the sale of Liam Lawrence was confirmed yesterday.

Discussions have been ongoing between Portpin and administrators PKF to finalise arrangements.

But the takeover is now in jeopardy because a deal on PKF fees – believed to be £1.8million – cannot be met.

Speaking to The News, Mr Chainrai said: ‘Me and my business partner Levi Kushnir are very depressed with the situation over the fact PKF have refused to do a compromise deal over their fees.

‘Because they are failing to do a compromise with fees, there’s no way to move forward and take the club out of administration.

‘We are waiting for them to follow through on this.

‘We will be waiting, but we won’t be waiting for long.’

Administrator Trevor Birch has not confirmed the amount, but said negotiations are taking place.

He said: ‘Over the past six weeks or so I have been striving – in very difficult circumstances – to fulfil the terms of the CVA with Portpin.

‘This is so the club can come out of administration before the new season starts and have the best opportunity to move forward in a positive manner – as all the fans and employees of the club want to see.

‘At such a critical stage it is inappropriate to conduct confidential negotiations through the media and therefore until matters are finalised, one way or another, I do not intend to make any comments.’

From the Pompey News

BALRAM Chainrai has threatened to walk away from Pompey in a dispute over administration fees.

Mr Chainrai’s firm Portpin has been poised to take on Portsmouth Football Club again after the sale of Liam Lawrence was confirmed yesterday.

Discussions have been ongoing between Portpin and administrators PKF to finalise arrangements.

But the takeover is now in jeopardy because a deal on PKF fees – believed to be £1.8million – cannot be met.

Speaking to The News, Mr Chainrai said: ‘Me and my business partner Levi Kushnir are very depressed with the situation over the fact PKF have refused to do a compromise deal over their fees.

‘Because they are failing to do a compromise with fees, there’s no way to move forward and take the club out of administration.

Administrator Trevor Birch has not confirmed the amount, but said negotiations are taking place.

He said: ‘Over the past six weeks or so I have been striving – in very difficult circumstances – to fulfil the terms of the CVA with Portpin.

‘This is so the club can come out of administration before the new season starts and have the best opportunity to move forward in a positive manner – as all the fans and employees of the club want to see.

‘At such a critical stage it is inappropriate to conduct confidential negotiations through the media and therefore until matters are finalised, one way or another, I do not intend to make any comments.’

If they are liquidated who get's their money first, Chainrai or PKF?

From the Pompey News

Feckin' Hell - seems Chanari wants everyone to compromise on what they are owed except him.

Here's hoping they reache a deal - years of fun left for us if he does.

From the Pompey News

Wow what an operator BC is. He used TB to force the players to leave on the back of 'Pompey will fold if they dont leave' and now BC has basically used the same trick on him. TB will be the man to face the flak if they dont reduce their fees. Superb work by him and in doing so protects more of the PP. You have to give it to BC he is very smart. I expect now lots to come on here and say they saw it coming lol

Wow what an operator BC is. He used TB to force the players to leave on the back of 'Pompey will fold if they dont leave' and now BC has basically used the same trick on him. TB will be the man to face the flak if they dont reduce their fees. Superb work by him and in doing so protects more of the PP. You have to give it to BC he is very smart. I expect now lots to come on here and say they saw it coming lol
Wouldn't say that I saw it coming but the mystery of AA advising TBH becomes clearer. Tal Ben Haim was always talking about PKF refusing to compromise on their fees.

If they are liquidated who get's their money first, Chainrai or PKF?

Think its the administrator.... creditors only get their agreed bit AFTER expenses have been taken off.. the best bit in all this is after Birch has spent 'so much time and effort' trying to get players to compromise and no doubt fed teh media enough to ensure they stick the knife in as well, we will now see how he likes it when asked to compromise.. will he stick or fold?

I love the game, but have been fricken angry at the way the giverning bodies and leagues have ignored the way clubs have behaved and the idiocy of certainb fans in denying and not accepting that they cant enjoy and claim tehir success if its built on cheating.... but this whole saga with the twofaced caniving peresonalities is quite frankly funy as f u * k :lol:

Wouldn't say that I saw it coming but the mystery of AA advising TBH becomes clearer. Tal Ben Haim was always talking about PKF refusing to compromise on their fees.
Yep, AA is also a very shrewd player, and has been a step ahead all along.

So its fine to conduct negotiations for player deferrals through the media and stir up a media witch hunt on TBH, Kanu et all. But when it comes to his own 30 pieces of silver Tricky Trev wants to keep it on the hush hush.

Hypocrite.

So its fine to conduct negotiations for player deferrals through the media and stir up a media witch hunt on TBH, Kanu et all. But when it comes to his own 30 pieces of silver Tricky Trev wants to keep it on the hush hush.

Hypocrite.

Although why should he compromise on his fees? Is that standard practice for administrators? Clapham saint?

They are still trying to make birch out to be the bad guy when all he is doing is his job!
BC is using the same tactics he used on the players who were rightly wishing for their contracts to be honoured. They deserved their money just as much if not more than Birch. I bet he is fuming because he has now been cornered. The Trust cannot become a player unless BC walks and if he does I suspect there is not enough money in the coffers to keep the club going until they are in position to get it all together. AA and Bc are getting their revenge for TB taking the job on at the expense of AA. I do find this part funny.

BC is using the same tactics he used on the players who were rightly wishing for their contracts to be honoured. They deserved their money just as much if not more than Birch. I bet he is fuming because he has now been cornered. The Trust cannot become a player unless BC walks and if he does I suspect there is not enough money in the coffers to keep the club going until they are in position to get it all together. AA and Bc are getting their revenge for TB taking the job on at the expense of AA. I do find this part funny.

That is true! The trust can't afford the player wage compromises anyway

Although why should he compromise on his fees? Is that standard practice for administrators? Clapham saint?

Given that he's been crying to the press about the need for players to walk away from payments they are owed, its a bit rich for him to pocket a £1.8M windfall when they finally do that.

Given that he's been crying to the press about the need for players to walk away from payments they are owed, its a bit rich for him to pocket a £1.8M windfall when they finally do that.

Yeah but in that case there really is no point in an administrator setting their own rate of pay if they never have a chance of getting what they are owed in full.

Chinny - what an operator! :lol:

The guy has no shame, if you shook his hand he'd have your watch, and your shirt, and your jacket.

Even though it looks impossible from this situation you have to recall the loan shark saying that he would get ALL of his money...

As for Birch, he'll be wishing he'd liquidated it like he would've done for any other business - less fees, but you get them.

I thought we'd just found a caring side and he was ready to fall in love with the franchise again, but Balram's as ruthless as he was the day he took control the first time.

Plenty more laughs to come.

If I was UnAppy I'd be less concerned about a squad and more worried about my job.

Surely the old Chinster is looking to clear the decks and run a club on a shoestring, but you can be sure it will be out of someone else's shoe.