Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

That says that the deadline is tomorrow?

The ongoing saga has now hamstrung Appleton’s bid to put a team together – before today’s midday registration deadline – for the Capital One Cup trip to Home Park.

However, he can still sign players on loan up to three hours before the game kicks off at 7.45pm

The *LOAN* deadline if for tomorrow, but you can only sign so many players on loan.....

Today's choice of tweets from fans who just don't get it...

Hinks7: "1.5m is a crazy wage budget for Appleton! that's only enough for 9 or 10 players on 3k a week! Not even enough for a starting XI! #Pompey"

darrenpfc: "Just been told why Lawrence didn't stay with us!! He was offered 3k a week, he wanted 5k(well worth it) they rejected. Shocking #Pompey"

I wonder if that Neil Allen person reads and worships this BBC chap named Richard Black. Seems very similar

in how they put a spin on events. :lol:

Quote:-

Knowing, as all journalists do, that many people read the first few paragraphs of an article and often turn their attention

to something else, Black gets the message he wants people to understand in nice and early. If people take nothing else

from the article they will get what Black wants them to see:

http://autonomousmind.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/bbcs-richard-black-resorts-to-deception-and-spin/

Today's choice of tweets from fans who just don't get it...

Hinks7: "1.5m is a crazy wage budget for Appleton! that's only enough for 9 or 10 players on 3k a week! Not even enough for a starting XI! #Pompey"

darrenpfc: "Just been told why Lawrence didn't stay with us!! He was offered 3k a week, he wanted 5k(well worth it) they rejected. Shocking #Pompey"

Can Anybody estimate what our budget was when we had to play the kids during the Dutch duo? You cut your cloth to fit your means.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/592767855?-11209

Only 1 1/2 hrs to dead line time. then we will see what happens, i think this will be the start of the rot, if they have to withdrawl from tomorrows game.

So, do we think they'll put out a team tomorrow or withdraw from the competition?

They have enough players already. They will have to use their under 21 and under 18 squad like any other club would if in financial problems. Trouble is their fans and management etc think they are a special case and shouldn't have to use the youngsters. To aid this over the past few years they have been releasing youngsters they could have used for the first team so they can go begging to the Football League to sign new players.

They have enough players already. They will have to use their under 21 and under 18 squad like any other club would if in financial problems. Trouble is their fans and management etc think they are a special case and shouldn't have to use the youngsters. To aid this over the past few years they have been releasing youngsters they could have used for the first team so they can go begging to the Football League to sign new players.

That deadline is only to sign additional players. In any case, they have enough players already, they will have to use their under 21 and under 18 squad like any other club would if in financial problems. Trouble is their fans and management etc think they are a special case and shouldn't have to use the youngsters. To aid this over the past few years they have been releasing youngsters they could have used for the first team so they can go begging to the Football League to sign new players.

Why oh why do you have to keep repeating yourself like some manic stuck record?

And I know we played in blue shorts and socks for 50 f*cking years - I only need to be told once.

:facepalm:

i don't understand why all these "trialists" are hanging around turning out for them pre-season, must be offered something decent for them to do that, makes you wonder.

hopefully they had to play the U18s tomorrow night, anyone know the odds on a Plymouth win?

On the topic of 'Their true level.'

A few assumptions. 1. They are self sustaining and 2. They stick to their budgets (Big, big provisos..... almost impossible but still)

Average crowd of 14k for all home games. 3 home cup games a year @ 10k. Sponsorship income of 1m per year. Other income also at 1m.

That puts them at a budget of about 10m for a year. We can be generous and say 15m to include any TV money, other income etc.

A realistic level for club wages spending seems to be at about 60% of annual turnover. That will give us 9 million pounds a year. In a squad of 25 players that's an avearage of £360k per player. Or £7k a week.

They are championship at best on this basis. (It's a vastly simplified model though, I grant you.) It puts the whole economic model of football into context too.

To be fair,IMO, their natural realistic level given their support base ,ground, etc, without big outside investment is as a championship/L1 yo-yo club. With a good manager and some stability they ought to be able to live as an established championship club.

I'd put them at the same sort of level as say Preston North End or Burnley -- a club wth a massive history, and lots of tradition, but never in the foreseeable future going to be an established premier league team. They might get odd moments in the sun, as have Burnley recently, but they won't last, unless they ever get a serious and genuine fan-owner like Blackburn did.

i don't understand why all these "trialists" are hanging around turning out for them pre-season, must be offered something decent for them to do that, makes you wonder.

hopefully they had to play the U18s tomorrow night, anyone know the odds on a Plymouth win?

Just got 11/10 on Skybet, buying money. Should pay for my weekend in Manchester!

The offer's were made on a kitty of £4m. That kitty is now £1.5m.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/ifil-and-santiago-unlikely-to-stay-1-4155968

Not quite, they were still filled with trialists.... I think appy was given the news late last week that the budget had been cut, so he was using the players that he would be able to afford with the new budget.....

Which of course any decent manager would have done all pre-season to have the best chance of preparing them... :facepalm:

Skybet seem to have withdrawn the option to bet on anything other than win/draw/loss.

Shame.

All the big bookies are only betting Win Draw Lose and the Asian Handicaps on betfair are very weak ,you might get some betfair action early tomorrow evening but I think a Heavy Pmuff loss as a value bet has gone,wish I had some of that 11/10.

All the big bookies are only betting Win Draw Lose and the Asian Handicaps on betfair are very weak ,you might get some betfair action early tomorrow evening but I think a Heavy Pmuff loss as a value bet has gone,wish I had some of that 11/10.

Put £100 on it, just in time it seems, that or maybe my "high stakes wager" scared them off ;)

Par for the course really

Portsmouth have "deferred" payment of their First Debt, circa £159 million first time around

They then followed that up by "deferring" their Second Debt, circa £50 million second time around

Then Birch "blackmailed" the players to "defer" their rightly owed Salaries for up to Four years hence

So, why has it now come as a shock that Birch is now asked to "defer" monies owed to his Company

This is PORTSMOUTH FFS

Still. it's good to know that the Football League has seen absolutely nothing wrong in all this

Pity that they didn't treat Luton, Bournemouth and others in the same lenient manner

The Football League must also be corrupt to the core

There's a growing band of us who feel that the club/succession of owners/players/agents do have that certain 'influence' over the FL.

before wacking any money on i want to make sure they can't play the team that beat Bolton and AFC Wimbledon, i think that side would beat Plymouth who are very poor themselves.

They cannot play any trialists. They cannot now make any permanent signings & the loan window for tomorrow shuts in a few hours & again they cannot sign anyone.

before wacking any money on i want to make sure they can't play the team that beat Bolton and AFC Wimbledon, i think that side would beat Plymouth who are very poor themselves.
Yeah, that's my worry, but the temptation to get in at 10/1 for Plymouth to win by 3+ won me over. Plymouth are mid-table League Two quality, but Eastwood's just been released from a Conference North side and he's likely to be their best player.

This is their team against Salisbury - which featured "a handful of triallists" :

Pompey: Santiago; Magri, Ifil, Grant, Butler; Compton, Colson, Wallace, Djilali; Higgins, D.Thompson

Goals: Compton (pen) 80

Subs not used: Warren, Maloney

Penalty scorer Compton was a triallist, as was keeper Santiago, so that's two they can't pick - but they've sorted the keeper issue by signing a reject from Conference North.

"Players such as Brian Howard and Izale McLeod, along with former Chelsea left-back Jon Harley, could..." NOT feature.

This is their team against Salisbury - which featured "a handful of triallists" :

Pompey: Santiago; Magri, Ifil, Grant, Butler; Compton, Colson, Wallace, Djilali; Higgins, D.Thompson

Goals: Compton (pen) 80

Subs not used: Warren, Maloney

Penalty scorer Compton was a triallist, as was keeper Santiago, so that's two they can't pick - but they've sorted the keeper issue by signing a reject from Conference North.

"Players such as Brian Howard and Izale McLeod, along with former Chelsea left-back Jon Harley, could..." NOT feature.

Kieran Djilali (ex Palace, ex AFC Wimbledon) was a trialist as well, I'm sure they said there were four trailists but don't know who the fourth was.

Kieran Djilali (ex Palace, ex AFC Wimbledon) was a trialist as well, I'm sure they said there were four trailists but don't know who the fourth was.

Cheers, I had heard of Djilali but didn't know why. Still don't know why. :)