Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

On Radio Solent this morning they have Vernon Jackson talking about the Cheats and "the loan"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00wcv1d/Julian_Clegg_09_08_2012/

He is on from about 2:52:30 to 2:59:40, but the important bits for me were towards the end when he said that Birch had "currently done deals with the players for £8M" but the Trust had only allocated £2M. (about 2:58:45) and he doesn't think the players will agree to only 25% of what they have agreed with Birch.

He also said the PL had agreed "in principle" to repay the loan from the PP in Aug 2013.

Accused of being a 'nutjob' or 'obsessed' is a compliment. We know we're pretending to be looking at the bigger picture when in reality this thread is as long as it is BECAUSE it's Pompey. To suggest we don't know how it comes across is missing the point...

Not just because it's the skates but the whole saga has had so many incidents to make an opera boring by comparison and lastly it's incredibly funny (especially Rallyboy's posts).

Really just outlines that the Trust have never been in the running; Birch was only ever going to deal with Portpin. You simply have to believe that Portpin and Birch have agreed a sum in terms of player wage deferrals that Chainrai is happy to swallow (it would be utterly ludicrous for Birch to agree sums blind to Portpin). The Trust have seemingly been kept out of the loop on this while they scratch together to find the money they need. The council putting the criteria for "no other commercial bid being on the table" gives Birch the get-out clause he needs to deal direct with Portpin and keep the Trust in the shadows.

This could actually play into Chainrai's hands. He gets the club on the cheap; he gets to pay off the CVA and some of the derferrals without dipping into his own pocket (using parachute payments). And he can play the Trust to his own ends, get them to up their offer to him (they now don't have to fund the CVA so could add that to their offer to him for Fratton Park). So 2 years down the line, with parachte payments gone and Chainrai losing interest with no more funds to channel into his back pocket, he'll sell up to an increased Trust bid.

You have to say hats off to the man, he's played Birch and the Trust absolutely perfectly.

He'll sell to PST for a nominal amount after moving Fratton into a holding company & then rent it to PST on a 99year lease at circa £1m a year.

It's what some of PST are already planning for.

Even if you forget the fact it's Pompey, it's still utterly ridiculous how a City Council would loan a Football club £1.5million in the middle of a recession and with as many social and economic problems the City of Portsmouth has.

£1.5million spent on football rather than improving people's lives in the city through health/social/welfare care/needs,

Instead £1.5million is being given so 15,000 of the 'bestest supporters in the world' can indulge their hobby at their s**t-hole of a stadium every other week!

I'm absolutely baffled by this decision, absolutely shocking.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Oh come on guys, playing this vague "we care about where council money goes in Portsmouth" card is making all the Saints fans posting on this board look slightly pathetic. Thats not the reason you - or anyone - on this board cares that they're being bailed out. Admit it - it's because they're Portsmouth and they're Southampton's local rivals. There's nothing wrong with that, so why make out like you need reasons like this? Just laugh at their prediciment for what it is, otherwise it really does make us all look a bit pathetic really. Go on Twitter and it's full of Pompey fans saying we're obsessed - and it seems our 7 years of being below them has made us that way. Let's all just move on now. If they die, they die. If they live, they live. Either way, we'll be better off than them in every possible way.

P.s. That isn't a dig at the post I've quoted by the way. Just everyone who posts reguarly on this thread.

P.p.s. And I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss 'The Saga'. Just stop pretending to be morally outraged by it.

Who is morally outraged? I simply find it funny as fu.ck.

It's like watching a slow-mo car crash.

Even if you forget the fact it's Pompey, it's still utterly ridiculous how a City Council would loan a Football club £1.5million in the middle of a recession and with as many social and economic problems the City of Portsmouth has.

£1.5million spent on football rather than improving people's lives in the city through health/social/welfare care/needs, Instead?£1.5million is being given so 15,000 of the 'bestest supporters in the sorld' can indulge their hobby at their s**t-hole of a stadium every other week!

They said they would lend them, not that they have.

Separate the hyperbole from the reality.

He'll sell to PST for a nominal amount after moving Fratton into a holding company & then rent it to PST on a 99year lease at circa £1m a year.

It's what some of PST are already planning for.

That's one option of course. But its a bit cleaner for him to get them to up their current £2.75M bid to around £4M or so and then just make a clean break. Surely even the Trust couldn't afford a £1M fee over their heads, I know they're desperate to take over but the profits on that just wouldn't stand up. And I expect the business rates would be utterly huge for a plot that size.

Well who ever ends up unfortunate enough to own p****y will have to pass the FFPT and I have just had a sneak peek at the one that any prospective owner will have to take. I think this will put the PST out of contention -

maze.jpg square.jpg

join_the_dots.jpg elephant.jpg

mystery_animal.jpg oandx.jpg

Edited by St Jim

So TB is holding back PP to cover his costs and only 5.58m left for this season. If that is the case I cant see BC is buying just to get his 18m back as patently there is not that much there to come in the next few years.

So what are his options?

What is the PST bid worth to him? How can he retain maximum value and obtain revenue?

That's one option of course. But its a bit cleaner for him to get them to up their current £2.75M bid to around £4M or so and then just make a clean break. Surely even the Trust couldn't afford a £1M fee over their heads, I know they're desperate to take over but the profits on that just wouldn't stand up. And I expect the business rates would be utterly huge for a plot that size.

I've been told that they hope that it would cost just £1 to buy the club from him in 2 seasons if he, as anticipated, moves FP into a holding company.

I believe the information is given in good faith & the fella who told me clearly loves his club & he wanted the phoenix route as the goings on have repulsed him.

£1.5million spent on football rather than improving people's lives in the city through health/social/welfare care/needs,

Instead £1.5million is being given so 15,000 of the 'bestest supporters in the world' can indulge their hobby at their s**t-hole of a stadium every other week!

it is a loan not non-returnable and if they get the legals right the money will be safe. I think it was only going to be a short-term loan and so a political decision in their favour was likely to be made.

I've been told that they hope that it would cost just £1 to buy the club from him in 2 seasons if he, as anticipated, moves FP into a holding company.

I believe the information is given in good faith & the fella who told me clearly loves his club & he wanted the phoenix route as the goings on have repulsed him.

Well you have to admire the (blind) optimism, I suppose. Although to be fair, if Fratton Park is taken out then the club really isn't worth much in itself down in League 1. Its just the level of lease payments for the stadium that would determine whether its a feasibile purchase or not, I'd suggest very much not.

I don't know why Fratton Park is so important to them all of a sudden. Lots of their fans saying they wouldn't mind going down the phoenix route but losing Fratton Park would be a step too far and if that happened they'd jack it in. Yet they were perfectly happy to entertain ideas of moving to somewhere better when they were blinded by the Premier League's bright lights. Weird.

I see today is the anniversary of the Battle of Parsalus....Pompey lost that particular battle...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pharsalus

The Battle of Pharsalus was a decisive battle of Caesar's Civil War. On 9 August 48 BC at Pharsalus in central Greece, Gaius Julius Caesar and his allies formed up opposite the army of the republic under the command of Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus ("Pompey the Great"). Pompey had the backing of a majority of senators, of whom many were optimates, and his army significantly outnumbered the veteran Caesarian legions.

The two armies confronted each other for several months of uncertainty, Caesar being in a much worse position than Pompey. The former found himself isolated in a hostile country with only 22,000 men and short of provisions, while on the other side of the river he was faced by Pompey with an army at least three times as great.

Pompey wanted to delay, knowing the enemy would eventually surrender from hunger and exhaustion. Pressured by the Senators present and by his officers, he reluctantly engaged in battle and suffered an overwhelming defeat, ultimately fleeing the camp and his men disguised as an ordinary citizen.

Some interesting modern day comparisons to be had there...

Oh come on guys, playing this vague "we care about where council money goes in Portsmouth" card is making all the Saints fans posting on this board look slightly pathetic. Thats not the reason you - or anyone - on this board cares that they're being bailed out. Admit it - it's because they're Portsmouth and they're Southampton's local rivals.

Um, I have a different position on this. As a Council Tax payer in a PO postcode I don't see why some of my hard earned cash should go to save a football club. I'd imagine there are a lot of other Portsmouth tax payers who don't care much for football and would much rather see £1.45m spent on something worthwhile than gambled on a football club with such a bad financial record.

Unfortunately my e-petition on the Government website is pending approval - doubt it'll get approved but if it does I'll share the link :)

I wouldn't want to be Trevor Birch. He now has to explain why to hand the club over to Chanrai. Many LOLs.

As long as Chainrai wants to bid, the Council's loan cannot be invoked. It was conditional on no other commercial bid being on the table. Therefore the Trust's bid doesn't exist unless Chainrai walks away, and they cannot afford to bid without the loan.

Simple really.

Not at all, Remember this bunch of f**kin idiots didn't think twice about spunking 30mill on a sh*t load of cement made into a spike at the end of the railway shed, Now you tell me how the f*ck that helps out the City's health/social/welfare care/ needs,:rolleyes:

Sent from my sonny vio typing with my 12 webbed fingers,

As long as Chainrai wants to bid, the Council's loan cannot be invoked. It was conditional on no other commercial bid being on the table. Therefore the Trust's bid doesn't exist unless Chainrai walks away, and they cannot afford to bid without the loan.

Simple really.

It's a shame that 99% of Pompey fans in Twitterland haven't grasped that fact yet. They're all still cock-a-hoop that the Trust's bid now (seemingly to them) has the green light...

Let's hope it all hits some legal bumps and draws out so long they have zero time to put a squad together.

Although they will now obviously sign

Mustapha Dumcouncil

Well Birch has already said it'll take longer than the "deadline" of Friday. You'd imagine not much will get done over the weekend, at least nothing officially. They're playing Plymouth in the League Cup on Tuesday; so the deal for them has to be concluded before then to compete in that. In the time it takes for Chinny to agree to the takeover the FL have to agree to the transfer of the golden share (and with the various conditions attached to that it surely won't be a simple task), they have to agree contracts with players, and they have to get them registered with the football league. Not impossible, but a tough ask.

Simple really.

I'm glad someone else understands.

It's really not difficult.

Not at all, Remember this bunch of f**kin idiots didn't think twice about spunking 30mill on a sh*t load of cement made into a spike at the end of the railway shed, Now you tell me how the f*ck that helps out the City's health/social/welfare care/ needs,:rolleyes:

Sent from my sonny vio typing with my 12 webbed fingers,

it looks good from a distance, and a perfect aiming point for a nucleur bomb.

Pompey girl ‏@Supermum0239PFC If Joe Smith's the butchers went into administration not once but TWICE, would taxpayers £ bail him out? I think not! Love #Pompey but.....

The Pompey Pages ‏@Pompey_Pages

@Supermum0239PFC the money is also being paid back to the council, it is a secured loan not a gift.

Pompey girl ‏@Supermum0239PFC

@Pompey_Pages My disabled kids have had their VITAL services cut by PCC through LACK OF FUNDS. Yet, PCC can fund a football club?!

Is that one of us or does someone in Pompeyland actually 'get it'?

Well Birch has already said it'll take longer than the "deadline" of Friday. You'd imagine not much will get done over the weekend, at least nothing officially. They're playing Plymouth in the League Cup on Tuesday; so the deal for them has to be concluded before then to compete in that. In the time it takes for Chinny to agree to the takeover the FL have to agree to the transfer of the golden share (and with the various conditions attached to that it surely won't be a simple task), they have to agree contracts with players, and they have to get them registered with the football league. Not impossible, but a tough ask.

Is a club allowed to start a season with a bunch of trialists? Not sure what the rules are but is it inconceivable that they will be allowed to limp through the start of the season with a squad that (in the main) isn't actually contracted to the club?

I'm glad someone else understands.

It's really not difficult.

so what has that got to do with BC's bid and getting his money back? It is just a trigger point for the loan, nothing to do with the intricacies of BC's finance

Is a club allowed to start a season with a bunch of trialists? Not sure what the rules are but is it inconceivable that they will be allowed to limp through the start of the season with a squad that (in the main) isn't actually contracted to the club?

You can't field a player who isn't registered to the club with the Football League. Its why there are deadlines before games so you can't just sign someone 3 minutes prior to kick off. For weekend games I think the deadline if Friday at midday, not sure for weekday games. They may have to put out a youth team against Plymouth if the takeover drags on, I can't believe the Football League will gloss over it and sign without ensuring there is security that all their conditions will be fulfilled (actually scratch that, its the Football League so I have no confidence in them at all).

I'd have thought they need to work through the weekend to have the whole deal signed befoer Monday morning to allow for all the registrations with the FL etc to get done in time.

So you're of the opinion that 1 negative should be a floodgate for further negatives rather than something to learn from?

No one was a s**t load of money p*ssed up the wall That would of been far better spent on helping out the community, the other a pittance to the first is being loaned, (f*ckin dodgy one i know)

Chinny is planning to seperate the ground from the club under this proposal, genius!

The Skates will be bled dry until he has got the PP's all the time paying him a rent to play at Fratton. At the point he sticks them into admin #3 he will own the ground, gunrunner will own the land around it and Skates will be relegated from the FL.

Vote CVA for guaranteed laughs for another 12 months I say.

Sticking to my June 8th position, the seperating the ground from PFC was in the proposal. The only change is that Chanrai (Portpin) might now buy the land fron admin of Miland Devolpments 2004, coincidence?

so what has that got to do with BC's bid and getting his money back? It is just a trigger point for the loan, nothing to do with the intricacies of BC's finance

So what exactly are you expecting Chainrai to do? Fund a spending spree which will gain them promotion this season or maybe next? Then spend even more to see if he can get them to the Premier League, then sell up? That would mean serious money being poured into a bottomless pit, with no guarantee whatsoever of a return. However I look at it, I really can't see that happening.

And if not that, then what?

a) Chinny takes over ?

b) The trust take over ?

Surely they are pretty well f#cked whichever happens ?

Probably Chinny will take it, bleed it, then pass it over, another couple of years for this thread and everybody is happy, no ??

That's pretty much how I see it, yes.

Before diving into the (il)legal atrocities that have meant they will die another day (but they will), I think we should all show some sympathy to all those footballing communities who have not been able to p*ss on the law and get away with their clubs staying in business. The most frustrated have to be the Rangers fans, even more when it comes to the way public institutions have acted (especially HMRC), as it's hard to understand why they weren't even allowed to get a CVA proposal accepted when Pompey didn't even pay a penny of the first one, something that in the real world means game over, and were even allowed to run into more debt leading to a 2nd administration without any payments to previous creditors completed.

As for the future, fear not my dear friends. Balu will come in and once he realises he'll only get something like £3m maximum from the PPs (don't forget about those agreements to offload the ship and Birch's salary), he'll use that to buy off the land around FP and the ground itself, build Tesco, sell the club to the populist-council-backed Trust for nothing, rent Fortress Fatpipes to them on a 15-20 year contract at £1m or so a year, and he'll enjoy his retirement with his money finally back. In the meantime, he'll arrange a scapegoat (normally known in football as a Chairman) to deal with getting a half-effort of a squad to turn up at the league/cup matches and keep the thing going (maybe they'll even act good and comply with FL restrictions!), won't put a single penny into the club (apart from the money to buy the club's most valuable yet decadent asset, leaving it with nothing, and because he's a secured creditor he probably doesn't even need to do that!) and by the time he's finished with his act I predict they'll be struggling at the foot of the Football League if not down in the Conference already.

When the money from FP is gone (disguised as those life-saving PPs), it's time to call London and good ol' Trevor again. They might have reduced their debt from liquidation figures to a good looking one, but the dam is not holding up a flow of millions. This is League One, and with their troubles and Chinny's lack of interest heavy investment is not on the cards, and a further relegation to L2 is very likely. If the Trust manage to buy the club off, their project has no sustainability in Pro football. If admin no.3 comes about, it's a no-brainer really.

Don't worry fellow nutjobs, it's still "From Ronaldinho to Rochdale- A matchday programme's spiralling decline" on Pompey TV's prime time. In fact, I'm starting to believe this is for the best. PFC's decline will be so great that I doubt there's any possible recovery for them in the medium-run. Our rivalry will become meaningless but for the geography of it.

So what players have they got that can play then? How many do they need to sign? I bet we'll see 6 or 7 loans come in over the next couple of weeks. 7 or 8 free transfers and there's a squad. There are half decent options even if they're going for frees. But not options to get them above lower-mid-table, it's still a tough league.

You cant have more than 5 loanees in a team.

oldredeye

9:57 AM on 09/08/2012

Perhaps the sizable Parachute Payment due tomorrow (I think) had something to do with it. I woudl express huge doubts that Portpin have paid £300k to TBH to get hime to do one, they could have done that weeks ago if that was the case and secure the CVA much arlier in order to allow MA to develop the team. But that hasn;t happened which leads me to think the money is coming from the PP. Which is fair enough. Has everyone who is dismissing the PST bid forgotten the Council meeting today?

So, if TBH is being paid out of the next chunk of Parachute Payments (due tomorrow by the sounds of things....how convenient....) then why on Earth didn't the other players hang on for the same eventuality...? Something smells...

The rotting carcasses of 8 headless horses?

Why would anyone do that? There's a hefty handful of clubs in the Championship and League One that are far, far, far more attractive to any potential investor than Pompey.

Yes, but most don't welcome the likes of child maimers and pension raiders with open arms.

ok i hear that they are safe now, but then i hear they are not safe, can anyone please summerise for me and probably others. Thanks

They have always been safe. They were never going to be liquidated for the sake of one player's wages. They will still be able to attract some half decent frees in league one, they will finish mid table this season and the few will hail Appy as a genius HTH.