Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I seem to recall that the overwhelming vote from the fans was for the second option - lets hope he keeps that in mind over the next 24 hours

Yeah, but I bet if he asked the same question now he'd get a very different response. Now they're on the brink, and really are facing liquidation. I bet most of them have such short memories that they'd much prefer League 1 with BC than starting from scratch.

Oh, and please sir, can you make us competitive? Oh, and that FAPPT that we blamed for allowing the likes of Gaydamak, BC and Antonov... let's just overlook that to allow BC back in. Then we can blame it again when we go back into administration in a couple of years' time.

How feckin funny would it be if it all went through and he failed the FAPPT

That would be a right old chortle fest. Which is precisely why them staying on a life support machine for another season is going to be much more amusing than them being liquidated tomorrow. Let's hope they're "saved"!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/players-upbeat-over-survival-prospects-1-4142702

"‘I can already see the fans are unbelievable."

Yep, agree with that analysis. 'Unbelieveable' in that they won't petition the Football League to scrutinise their 'new' owner if/when Chainrai's bid is accepted by Birch. Instead they'll wait for it all to go pear shaped again and THEN chastise the FL for not doing anything about it at the time...

"It's not the fan's fault"....my arse.

Edited by trousers

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/players-upbeat-over-survival-prospects-1-4142702

"‘I can already see the fans are unbelievable."

Yep, agree with that analysis. 'Unbelieveable' in that they won't petition the Football League to scrutinise their 'new' owner if/when Chainrai's bid is accepted by Birch. Instead they'll wait for it all to go pear shaped again and THEN chastise the FL for not doing anything about it at the time...

"It's not the fan's fault"....my arse.

Spot on.

All this *****ing and moaning about the FAPPT not being tough enough and leaving them exposed to dodgy owners is now conveniently forgotten as they fawn over BC coming back.

Then again it shouldn't be a surprise given the way they have only been too happy to praise owners/players/officials I the heady days only to be up for a public hanging the next. "there's only one Peter Storrie" ringing around the tip was may fave.

will Danny Boyle do the Fortress Fatpipes closing ceremony?

Thousands of swarthy brickies swarming across the pitch building houses and industrial units for cash in hand, hundreds of flatbed Transits, not a tax disc to be seen.

Then we have TCWTB piloting a fishing trawler up a river of fatty water, Storrie jumping out of a helicopter with no parachute payments, Lampitt and Cotterill filling the arena with three dancers....

The rehearsals have been good, then again they've had long enough to get it right.

At first I thought they were giant chimneys rising up from the ground, then I heard the motivational speech and saw the Horton Heath signs.

It isn't a kids show that's for sure. :scared:

My favourite bits were the child-maiming landmine tribute section, really spectacular and beautifully-choreographed, you actually believe little legs can fly, and the European pensioners being tortured and shot in the face so their cash could be given to Kitson and Lawrence.

It was a stark reminder of how they've funded themselves recently, but done in a fun way.

Finally a really fat Cher tribute act came on, gave Avram a happy finish to put out the flame, before joining Shep Wooley for Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves in the shadow of a giant bulldozer driven by the grim reaper - it was inspirational.

will Danny Boyle do the Fortress Fatpipes closing ceremony?

Thousands of swarthy brickies swarming across the pitch building houses and industrial units for cash in hand, hundreds of flatbed Transits, not a tax disc to be seen.

Then we have TCWTB piloting a fishing trawler up a river of fatty water, Storrie jumping out of a helicopter with no parachute payments, Lampitt and Cotterill filling the arena with three dancers....

The rehearsals have been good, then again they've had long enough to get it right.

At first I thought they were giant chimneys rising up from the ground, then I heard the motivational speech and saw the Horton Heath signs.

It isn't a kids show that's for sure. :scared:

My favourite bits were the child-maiming landmine tribute section, really spectacular and beautifully-choreographed, you actually believe little legs can fly, and the European pensioners being tortured and shot in the face so their cash could be given to Kitson and Lawrence.

It was a stark reminder of how they've funded themselves recently, but done in a fun way.

Finally a really fat Cher tribute act came on, gave Avram a happy finish to put out the flame, before joining Shep Wooley for Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves in the shadow of a giant bulldozer driven by the grim reaper - it was inspirational.

I'll pledge £1k to see that script made into a movie!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/ben-haim-agrees-to-leave-pompey-1-4142893

POMPEY’S administrator has confirmed that Tal Ben Haim has agreed to leave the club.

The Israeli international has reached a settlement on the rest of his £36,000 a week contract - just one day before the liquidation deadline set by administrator Trevor Birch.

Mr Birch said: ‘I am pleased to announce that we have reached a compromise agreement with Tal Ben Haim, who will now leave the club.’

Mr Birch is also expected to make an announcement on Liam Lawrence’s future later today.

Whilst an agreement has not yet been made with Kanu the administrator is ‘cautiously optimistic’ about their prospects.

Mr Birch added: ‘‘The progress that we have made over the past 24 hours means that there is now a much better prospect of meeting the conditions of the CVA, completing the sale of the club and avoiding liquidation.

‘As a result, we will now push on with our negotiations with Portpin, with a view to finalising a deal in the next few days.

‘There is still more to do, and the club’s future is not yet guaranteed, but we’re in a stronger position and will now take some additional time to try to conclude matters.”

There you go...Birch blows away another deadline....

Edited by trousers

2 weeks ago the 8 players on big contracts were still there. It now seems that TBH is going and TB's plan to pressure the players through the media has worked. Bc is now free to take the club over with no debt and a decent PP kitty to come his way. Friendlies are no real sign of things to come but it seems that having no squad has not hindered them to get a couple of results and they can start from scratch, Im sure most new managers would like no squad to begin with and then assemble your own team. i see it as an advantage. of course many will say they have to be able to get the players in, but the way the FL have chose to turn a blind eye before will not give me belief that they will relax the rules so that they can field a team. They will be out of admn with a CVA and so can argue they are now free to go again.

Depressing and anyone who crowed may have it thrown back at them especially if we fail this season, you wait for the ultimate crower to return as soon as the results start goig well down there.He will say he has been in the Carribean with Barbie and Ken and so that is why he hasnt posted for a while, but he will be back

2 weeks ago the 8 players on big contracts were still there. It now seems that TBH is going and TB's plan to pressure the players through the media has worked. Bc is now free to take the club over with no debt and a decent PP kitty to come his way. Friendlies are no real sign of things to come but it seems that having no squad has not hindered them to get a couple of results and they can start from scratch, Im sure most new managers would like no squad to begin with and then assemble your own team. i see it as an advantage. of course many will say they have to be able to get the players in, but the way the FL have chose to turn a blind eye before will not give me belief that they will relax the rules so that they can field a team. They will be out of admn with a CVA and so can argue they are now free to go again.

Depressing and anyone who crowed may have it thrown back at them especially if we fail this season, you wait for the ultimate crower to return as soon as the results start goig well down there.He will say he has been in the Carribean with Barbie and Ken and so that is why he hasnt posted for a while, but he will be back

Which is precisely what we want ;)

BLUEtiger

9:19 AM on 09/08/2012

mickymellows, well PP not much change left anyway, so if, IF, BC takes up the challenge surely it must be to back MA for 2 promotions on the bounce and a new SKY pot for PL and then cash out, PST in!

:facepalm:

Seems to me you're missing a couple of major points. First, Chainrai wants to get money out of the club, not the other way round. Do you seriously think that Appleton will be given some kind of fabulous transfer kitty? Or indeed any kind of transfer kitty? He'll have to make do with frees, loans and bargain-basement buys. Plus, of course, academy graduates.

As to the Football League, they've put in place some very strict, non-negotiable conditions upfront. I fully expect them to hold any new owners to those conditions, with further points penalties available at the League's discretion even when the golden share has been granted.

They will be out of admn with a CVA and so can argue they are now free to go again.

Nick, how much money do you think Chinny will actually put into the club ? He cannot carry his debt forward into 'yet-another-newco', so we all assume that he will milk the PPs, but to do this he needs to keep putting the 10Ps in the meter for the life support machine, thus diluting his return. As far as I see he has 2 options, should he return : (1) do just enough to keep them ticking over for 2 years, or (2) sh!t or bust for climbing the league ladder as quickly as possible to boost the clubs earning potential and value. Option (1) means that Appy is likely to remain 'un-' as he gets bugger all transfer kitty, and take into account the FL's apparent financial handcuffs. Option 2 is high risk, and I don't think Chinny will take any more chances.

Seems to me you're missing a couple of major points. First, Chainrai wants to get money out of the club, not the other way round. Do you seriously think that Appleton will be given some kind of fabulous transfer kitty? Or indeed any kind of transfer kitty? He'll have to make do with frees, loans and bargain-basement buys. Plus, of course, academy graduates.

As to the Football League, they've put in place some very strict, non-negotiable conditions upfront. I fully expect them to hold any new owners to those conditions, with further points penalties available at the League's discretion even when the golden share has been granted.

Sorry but you are talking about the FL here. What you expect (and they have said) is far removed from what they will actually do.

i dont think i am missing the point as i have said all along that Bc will take the club on ,and that they would not be toast. There are plenty of decent players around who are free agents and MA will make a competitive team. Whether they can get promotion is another thing but I dont see them falling down a league. BC all along has been at least 1 step ahead of us on here and whilst he may have been duped into lending them money some time ago, you dont become fabulously wealthy by making too many mistakes. he has something lined up and you never know he may buy the land around FP and make it a better proposition to a potential buyer for expansion. The FL constraints may be seen to be fierce but I have little confidence in them as they seem to wory about a team folding more than policing.

I'm a little confused here. Many of the skates that chastised the Football League for allowing Chanrai to pass the FaPPT are the same ones now ushering him back through the doors. Utter fickleness; taking the attitude that it's better the devil you know; setting themselves up for an even bigger fall; all three? They're really not the brightest are they?!

It'll be more than they deserve if BC rips the guts out of what's left. The thought of him rebuilding doesn't bear thinking about - surely it'll be an impossible task with the sanctions placed upon the club anyway?

OldNick = Clueless as to current situation.

Pompey = 2 more seasons of being pillaged before being gifted to PST but without FP, which they will have to rent.

FL = All over them like a rash.

Me = Laughing at the outcome.

no, spot on

How long you there for, Stu?

We're half hour away in Mijas this week and moving on to Benalmádena on Saturday. Planning a day trip to Marbella and Puerto Banus soon if you're still around for a beer!

Another 10 days. Would liove to meet up... We were in Marbella yesterday ( Puerto Banus is a must) and we are based in fungerolia which I think is near Benalmadena.

Will get your number through the kids and text you.

oldredeye

9:57 AM on 09/08/2012

Perhaps the sizable Parachute Payment due tomorrow (I think) had something to do with it. I woudl express huge doubts that Portpin have paid £300k to TBH to get hime to do one, they could have done that weeks ago if that was the case and secure the CVA much arlier in order to allow MA to develop the team. But that hasn;t happened which leads me to think the money is coming from the PP. Which is fair enough. Has everyone who is dismissing the PST bid forgotten the Council meeting today?

So, if TBH is being paid out of the next chunk of Parachute Payments (due tomorrow by the sounds of things....how convenient....) then why on Earth didn't the other players hang on for the same eventuality...? Something smells...

Edited by trousers

I don't understand what it is they're actually supporting.

Isn't it obvious? Instant success is what they are supporting. Any way possible to win football matches in the short term, with no care for the long term.

The test now lies with the Football League IMO. How strict will be their financial restrictions? If they allow Pompey to sign McLeod, Howard, Dumbuya, Rodgers and the rest, then we know that the Football League's words mean absolutely nothing. If they restrict them to only 1 or 2 of these, and the rest of them turn out to be absolute ****, then maybe we can say that they are actually doing something.

The Pompey uproar will be huge if the Football League are true to their word regarding these restrictions.

Sorry but you are talking about the FL here. What you expect (and they have said) is far removed from what they will actually do.

i dont think i am missing the point as i have said all along that Bc will take the club on ,and that they would not be toast. There are plenty of decent players around who are free agents and MA will make a competitive team. Whether they can get promotion is another thing but I dont see them falling down a league. BC all along has been at least 1 step ahead of us on here and whilst he may have been duped into lending them money some time ago, you dont become fabulously wealthy by making too many mistakes. he has something lined up and you never know he may buy the land around FP and make it a better proposition to a potential buyer for expansion. The FL constraints may be seen to be fierce but I have little confidence in them as they seem to wory about a team folding more than policing.

I agree, no faith in the FL whatsoever, the 10 point deduction was a complete farce for one thing. However unlikely it seems, PFC will sign players other L1 clubs cannot. We all know it's coming. Just one of the reason I can't even see myself being a football supporter in a few years time.

Well, time will tell I guess. But bear in mind that the League hasn't acted in this way ever before, for any club - at least not as far as I know. They have become all too aware that the laxity of their regulation of clubs has led to disasters such as Pompey's and, from what I can see, have now decided to do whatever they can to prevent it happening all over again. Look again at the conditions for any new owner to be allowed membership of the League - this is something new and a strong indication that the League is finally getting to grips with the situation. They obviously don't want Chainrai to simply carry on with another new company and another secured position which doesn't reflect reality; they aren't negotiable on the points penalty, in spite of Birch's mitherings on that subject; they have stated clearly that any new owner will have to adhere to strict conditions and supervision (in other words, it won't be a case of "You've passed the test, therefore you're OK and can do as you please", as has happened before).

Will the League stick with this? As I said before, I expect them to do so. They have set out their terms and conditions very clearly and, in so doing, have given themselves all the ammunition they will need to take further action if their conditions do not continue to be met. Yes, it's true that they don't want to see clubs liquidated, but they've also had enough of clubs taking the p1ss.

As for chances that Chainrai is about to fund some great surge back to the Premier League, or even the Championship - try putting yourself in his position for a minute. What does he want? As much money as he can extract. What's the best way to get that, with least risk involved? I can see a couple of possibilities, but neither of those involves ploughing money into the club to fund promotion campaigns, especially when the start point for such a campaign is -10. Even if players are available on frees and/or low fees, they still need to be paid; the only way that Pompey will be able to pay over the odds is if Chainrai puts money in. Besides, they'd need a decent manager to accomplish much, and I see little indication that they've got one.

Edited by Fowllyd
Insertion of caveat

You saw how much money the trust needed to fund a squad with an average wage of £2500ish - why should it be any different for Chinny? For your fears to materialise, Chinny would have to suddenly become more interested in football and less interested in money.

Every one of those decent players will command more money and Chinny will never pay that. He is a reluctant owner drawn into this again to protect his own interests.

My concern, in those dark OldNick moments in the middle of the night is that Chinny regains control and immediately 'sells' the club onto yet another murky individual who will pump in borrowed cash to make them 'competitive.' Eventually they must strike lucky with this plan - Appy seems a goodish manager - and when they do they will build the momentum, even if they don't make it up this season, to move forward. You don't have to spend big to outbid most League One teams and whatever we might like to believe there are only two clubs - Coventry & Sheff Utd (& possibly Preston) that are bigger than them. I still think the signing or otherwise of Brian Howard is the real indicator of where they go next. And I doubt Chinny will 'own' the club by Xmas, though his charge will still be there for the next time they go into admin.

My concern, in those dark OldNick moments in the middle of the night is that Chinny regains control and immediately 'sells' the club onto yet another murky individual who will pump in borrowed cash to make them 'competitive.'

Why would anyone do that? There's a hefty handful of clubs in the Championship and League One that are far, far, far more attractive to any potential investor than Pompey.

Another 10 days. Would liove to meet up... We were in Marbella yesterday ( Puerto Banus is a must) and we are based in fungerolia which I think is near Benalmadena.

Will get your number through the kids and text you.

Just got back from Carvaleja, one stop on the coastal railway from Benalmadena. Do the weekly market there (benalmadena) if you can, and another must is the Cala Luna restaurant in Fuengirola, fantastic food and ludicrously cheap.

My concern, in those dark OldNick moments in the middle of the night is that Chinny regains control and immediately 'sells' the club onto yet another murky individual who will pump in borrowed cash to make them 'competitive.'

Why would anyone do that?

*cough* launderette *cough*

I think Chinny is streets ahead of most of us in cunning. He will have some plan of how to get all the best out of contract players in without him putting any money in, while the club keeps ticking over until the PP's run out. Probably image rights again. This will equate to having to sell 400 shirts with Brain Howard on the back every week.

He has already put them into admin twice, but in such a way that his finger prints were never on the trigger. Another 2 years trying to get back to the big time, with no risk to himself, and another admin if it doesn't come off.

You lot worry too much. They're fuc.ked for years to come.

This. They can't dodge bullets forever

Ditto. I'm firmly in this camp. Let it all unfold; it won't be pretty if you're a skate fan, but there'll be plenty of entertainment for us nutjobs...