Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Lol .... finding it nearly impossible to catch up and then keep up with all the posts on here...... it's like the wave after wave of Zulu's in the film of the same name as the posts just keep coming in!!

Even worse, I have to go out now for about an hour ..... catch up time later will be near on impossible.

Meanwhile WW3 could be declared or even more unlikely, we sign a CB or 2, and I'd be completely oblivious to it - trapped in here on an impossible mission to get to the most recent post on this fred.

Nutjobs - take a break ffs and give us a chance to catch up!!!

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:57

[/TD]

[TD=class: chatmsgtext viewer_text, bgcolor: #FFFFFF][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Comment From ben

do you honestly think portpin will accept the offer?if not what will happen then? [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

fb_share2.png

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: chatmsgtext altcaster_text, bgcolor: #FFFFFF][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]phpxb456uPompey-live.png[/TD]

[TD]Jordan :

Honestly? Given their past behaviour I think they will be a nightmare to negotiate with. [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

fb_share2.png

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:58

[/TD]

[TR]

[TD]Jordan :

There's a school of thought they could even try to liquidate the club to get the £3m that is in place. Wouldn't put anything past them [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Where's this £3m quid come from that he keeps saying is "in the club". I thought they were skint? Or has that just been syphoned off from the latest PPs?

Comment From Phil Phil : ]

Any news on Westwood's injury from last night? If it's bad could we get other coaches to play instead?

LOL - respect!!

Think I was rumbled by the reply though. I had no idea Whittingham is a coach. Guess the bloke as a bit o SOH to reply. H emust know most comments are from saints fans.

Lol .... finding it nearly impossible to catch up and then keep up with all the posts on here...... it's like the wave after wave of Zulu's in the film of the same name as the posts just keep coming in!!

Even worse, I have to go out now for about an hour ..... catch up time later will be near on impossible.

Meanwhile WW3 could be declared or even more unlikely, we sign a CB or 2, and I'd be completely oblivious to it - trapped in here on an impossible mission to get to the most recent post on this fred.

Nutjobs - take a break ffs and give us a chance to catch up!!!

Sorry but it's out of our hands!!! :)

gift-keep-giving-13.jpg

[TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: chatmsgtext viewer_text, bgcolor: #FFFFFF][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Comment From ben

do you honestly think portpin will accept the offer?if not what will happen then? [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

fb_share2.png

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[/TD]

[TR]

[TD]Jordan :

Honestly? Given their past behaviour I think they will be a nightmare to negotiate with. [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

fb_share2.png

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:58

[/TD]

[TR]

[TD]Jordan :

There's a school of thought they could even try to liquidate the club to get the £3m that is in place. Wouldn't put anything past them [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Where's this £3m quid come from that he keeps saying is "in the club". I thought they were skint? Or has that just been syphoned off from the latest PPs?

As I understand it, it is the most recent installment of the PPs. Not sure if the £11m is net of this amount or not.

Comment From Dave

Come on Jordan. Get across that people can still pay the £1,000 and yet get it back (less the 2.5%) at any time. No time now to mess around any further. We've got what we wanted & outed Chainrai.

This bloke seems to have misunderstood. He seems to think that shareholders will get refunded after the purchase of the club with only £2.50 at risk. The £2.50 only applies if the trust doesn't buy the club or if you pull out of buying the full share.

Once bought, the shares will be unlisted and virtually untradable with a value of a few quid, at best.

This bloke seems to have misunderstood. He seems to think that shareholders will get refunded after the purchase of the club with only £2.50 at risk. The £2.50 only applies if the trust doesn't buy the club or if you pull out of buying the full share.

Once bought, the shares will be unlisted and virtually untradable with a value of a few quid, at best.

He either misunderstood or was trying to mislead....

I've been posting a bit on POL. They, almost to a man, view this as positive news whether or not it eventually leads to liquidation - which is to their credit.

However, there's still a lot of denial out there. They seem to feel that they are now shot of Chanrai, despite his charge on Fratton Park. Even if the Trust take over he'll still be pulling the strings and setting the rent. The notion that they can somehow force through a sale at a lower valuation seems misguided to me.

The ground's value is a very hypothetical matter - there's no market for second-hand football stadia to determine price, but if it's to be used as a stadium its value is surely determined by its value to Pourtsmoputh football club - i.e. how much income could be got out of it in rent over time minus expenses. Any price that's forced on Chanrai would be sure to be challenged at length in the courts. I know it's a dilapidated old shed, but a couple of million quid doesn't sound like a fair price to me.

I think they're toast.

If the FL board allow them to sign players with no owner in place it will be a massive injustice, even on non-contract terms. I can't believe that someone appears to have been briefing the Snooze that it's a realistic possibility.

All this talk of optimism is madness. The trust takeover, with all of its problems would take a minimum of 6 weeks to go through, if at all. Birch has to pretty certain that the Trust can complete, otherwise his obligation to creditors means he has to liquidate.

I've been posting a bit on POL. They, almost to a man, view this as positive news whether or not it eventually leads to liquidation - which is to their credit.

However, there's still a lot of denial out there. They seem to feel that they are now shot of Chanrai, despite his charge on Fratton Park. Even if the Trust take over he'll still be pulling the strings and setting the rent. The notion that they can somehow force through a sale at a lower valuation seems misguided to me.

The ground's value is a very hypothetical matter - there's no market for second-hand football stadia to determine price, but if it's to be used as a stadium its value is surely determined by its value to Pourtsmoputh football club - i.e. how much income could be got out of it in rent over time minus expenses. Any price that's forced on Chanrai would be sure to be challenged at length in the courts. I know it's a dilapidated old shed, but a couple of million quid doesn't sound like a fair price to me.

I think they're toast.

They'll never agree on a valuation so why not rent it to NewNewCo or Phoenix AFC for a set percentage of gate receipts. Makes good financial sense, he'll be quids in, what with them having the bestest fans in the world and packing the park every week.

Just a point on that 3mil......

They have sold SOME Season Tickets and SOME tickets for the match on Saturday so that may be why the cash is "not available to the players" meaning the magnificent 8

Don't forget their parking spot, sandwich and a cup of tea corporate deals. (I wonder if those are as tightly ringfenced as the season ticket money??).

I think it would be best for all concerned if the club folded.

It's never been properly run in my lifetime, a 50 year old tragedy in the making.

Maybe their fans could re-start a new club and this time make sure the sharks stay away.

Out of curiosity where would a new PFC start in the league pyramid?

AFC Wimbledon, which is the most recent near equivalent, had similar Prem attendances to the Skates and the entity which is now MK Dons had just been relegated from the 2nd tier of the league when they decided to form the new club, started in the Combined Counties League (Premier Division). That's "Step 5" of non League - which means that it's

Conference (Step 1)

Conference South (Step 2)

Southern League Premier [or Isthmian League if they pretend to be Londoners, and we know they love that] (Step 3)

Southern League South & West [or Isthmian League D1 South] (Step 4)

and then Step 5, which consists of :

Combined Counties League Premier Division | Eastern Counties League Premier Division | Essex Senior League | Hellenic League Premier Division | Kent League Premier Division | Midland Alliance | Northern Counties East League Premier Division | Northern League Division One | North West Counties League Premier Division | Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division | Sussex County League Division One | United Counties League Premier Division | Wessex League Premier Division | Western League Premier Division

Aldershot Town went through the Isthmian League (starting in Div 3 which no longer exists, but would have been the equivalent of Step 5 as they won 4 promotions on the way back to the Conference).

Newport County started in the Hellenic League, went through Southern League S&W, Southern League Prem, Conference South and are now back in the Conference, again 4 promotions.

As I've already said numerous times before, the Skates will think they deserve special treatment due to their crowds, but AFC Wimbledon came off a club which was getting similar 15k ish crowds in the Premier League, and they averaged 3000-ish for their title-winning Combined Counties League inaugural season. They've kept at that level throughout non-League, and the only time they fluctuated from it was when they DIDN'T get promoted one season and dropped nearly 1000 people from their average crowd.

None of the grounds struggled with their numbers, there were no safety concerns, and they definitely didn't need special treatment because of how big they used to be. But you just KNOW the Skates will spend a full year angling for special treatment, even though Gosport Borough and Havant & Waterlooville show just how weak the demand for non-League football is in that area.

AFC Wimbledon, which is the most recent near equivalent.

You can't really call AFC Wimbledon an equivalent, they are a protest club against MK Dons, both clubs exist at the same time. If the Pompey fans start a new club there isn't already another club in the league system they are a protest club against. I don't see why Pompey's claims of attendances should have any bearing on which league they should go in. Lower league club's cope with large cup allocations, why couldn't they for league games? A better comparison would be the new Chester club, when the fans formed a new club after liquidation it was initially placed in the 9th tier, they appealed and were moved to the 8th tier. I see little reason why the same shouldn't happen to a new 2013 formed Pompey team.

Edited by Matthew Le God

The FL have replied to my enquiry about whether Pompey had fielded an ineligible player last night in Ashley Westwood.

They state that he had signed non-contract terms so was eligible. I was referred to section 56 of this document that explains it.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20110629/section-6-players_2293633_2125731#56

I reckon that this is what Jordan Cross is referring to also when he says that there will be movement on the player front today or tomorrow. Portsmouth are attempting to bolster the ranks by signing all the triallists on non-contract terms for Saturday.

Edited by TopGun

The FL have replied to my enquiry about whether Pompey had fielded an ineligible player last night in Ashley Westwood.

They state that he had signed non-contract terms so was eligible. I was referred to section 56 of this document that explains it.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20110629/section-6-players_2293633_2125731#56

I reckon that this is what Jordan Cross is referring to also when he says that there will be movement on the player front today or tomorrow. Portsmouth are attempting to bolster the ranks by signing all the triallists on non-contract terms for Saturday.

This may be a stupid question, but if it's not against the embargo by signing on non-contract terms why didn't Appleton do that on Monday so the trailists could play last night?

This may be a stupid question, but if it's not against the embargo by signing on non-contract terms why didn't Appleton do that on Monday so the trailists could play last night?

I've been thinking the same thing....this signing of a "non-contract" malarkey sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me....another loophole for Pompey (and other clubs in trouble) to exploit me thinks.

It feels a bit like when you're losing at Monopoly and you start mortgaging everything under the sun to pay for landing on Mayfair....just before you land on Income Tax after passing GO...

*(yes, I know, paying a tax bill is a bad example to use in Pompey's case)

My view is that they may be on a sticky wicket, if they start signing players on non-contract terms, having just got rid of ten players, making them take compromise agreements. There may be a case for unfair dismissal there!

You can't really call AFC Wimbledon an equivalent, they are a protest club against MK Dons, both clubs exist at the same time. If the Pompey fans start a new club there isn't already another club in the league system they are a protest club against. I don't see why Pompey's claims of attendances should have any bearing on which league they should go in. Lower league club's cope with large cup allocations, why couldn't they for league games? A better comparison would be the new Chester club, when the fans formed a new club after liquidation it was initially placed in the 9th tier, they appealed and were moved to the 8th tier. I see little reason why the same shouldn't happen to a new 2013 formed Pompey team.

They are an equivalent because the fans who supported the AFC Wimbledon non-League club are a direct subset of the Wimbledon Prem club - as every fule no, precisely NONE of the Wimbledon fans went to MK with the relocated club, so the scenarios are exactly the same, and feature similar sized Prem fanbases. If Portsmouth are liquidated then there would be significant parallels. If they somehow retain a shell in League One and everyone decides to support the phoenix club, what's the difference?

Chester FC actually started in Northern Premier Div 1 North, which is Step 4, so you're actually arguing for Portsmouth to start a level higher than AFCW, Newport and Aldershot ? Errrrr... why ?

I've been thinking the same thing....this signing of a "non-contract" malarkey sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me....another loophole for Pompey (and other clubs in trouble) to exploit me thinks.

It feels a bit like when you're losing at Monopoly and you start mortgaging everything under the sun to pay for landing on Mayfair....just before you land on Income Tax after passing GO...

*(yes, I know, paying a tax bill is a bad example to use in Pompey's case)

Doesnt make sense to me , Westwood isnt even registered as a player as far as i can see on the PFA list , so how can they have registered him as a player???it doesnt happen immediately

Doesnt make sense to me , Westwood isnt even registered as a player as far as i can see on the PFA list , so how can they have registered him as a player???it doesnt happen immediately

That's the key though. They can sign Unemployed Players during the Closed Period (non-Transfer Window) in the following circumstances.

It's in the definition of an "Unemployed Player" in the rules.

EDIT : Re-reading, if the person joined between 1 Feb/1 July 2012 (basically the Closed Period) his registration with a previous club needs to have "expired before the end of a previous Transfer Window and he has not since been registered with any such club". So no registration at any club since BEFORE Feb 1st" - or a player who has NEVER been registered with a FL member, a Premier League or Conference National club, or ANY OTHER CLUB IN A COUNTRY OTHER THAN ENGLAND.

They can sign a "non-contract" player during the Transfer Window, though it doesn't really clarify what "non-contract" means, other than that they can't be transferred for any money, only have their registration cancelled.

Edited by The9