Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

This may be a stupid question, but if it's not against the embargo by signing on non-contract terms why didn't Appleton do that on Monday so the trailists could play last night?

That actually seems like quite a sensible question, to which the only answer is that "Appleton is very stupid".

That's the key though. It's the definition of "Unemployed Player" in the rules. If he was registered for anyone else (i.e. they had to sign him via transfer) then he wouldn't be eligible, but as he was out of contract as a PLAYER, they could play him.

Shame I can't cut and paste from that link above, it's all in there.

So that don't take into account the fact that he was not actually 'unemployed'?

That actually seems like quite a sensible question, to which the only answer is that "Appleton is very stupid".

More likely there is very little money to pay the non-contract players (lets no kid ourselves they are playing for free even if it's just the classic 'expenses' line) so rather than waste it on the worthless trophy game they have saved it for the league game.

I'll be mighty hacked off if they get away with putting out a decent(ish) side made up of non-contract players as it makes a total mockery of the transfer embargo, but then everything they do makes a mockery of some rule or other these days.

More likely there is very little money to pay the non-contract players (lets no kid ourselves they are playing for free even if it's just the classic 'expenses' line) so rather than waste it on the worthless trophy game they have saved it for the league game.

I'll be mighty hacked off if they get away with putting out a decent(ish) side made up of non-contract players as it makes a total mockery of the transfer embargo, but then everything they do makes a mockery of some rule or other these days.

They were only given dispensation as they didn't have a goalie & presumably as they'd sanctioned Westwood as a coach he slipped through because they took pity in a modest way on them. Not the same as a free hand though.

The definition is in the rules, I've edited above. He's an unemployed player if he doesn't have a club registration prior to the closure of the previous Transfer Window (TW), the fact he's got a job as a coach is irrelevant.

And they actually can sign anyone they like who isn't registered with anyone else on non-contract terms (and can't get a transfer fee for them) as long as the TW is open.

Edited by The9

They were only given dispensation as they didn't have a goalie & presumably as they'd sanctioned Westwood as a coach he slipped through because they took pity in a modest way on them. Not the same as a free hand though.

No, as specified in the rules linked by TopGun above, he was eligible because he wasn't registered with anyone prior to the end of the previous Transfer Window (i.e. he was a Free Agent before 1st February).

There's a bit about not being able to sign players down to the Conference National in there as well, which is probably why Eastwood the keeper came from having previously been at Halifax in Conf North. He was still there in May 2012, so he DID have a registration in the last TW : http://www.bluesqfootball.com/story/0,20970,5880_7756045,00.html.

Edited by The9

No, as specified in the rules linked by Torres above, he was eligible because he wasn't registered with anyone prior to the end of the previous Transfer Window (i.e. he was a Free Agent before 1st February).

But they can only sign players with the express permission of the FL, regardless of the players' status - which presumably they gave in these cases and not in the case of the other triallists.

If the FL board allow them to sign players with no owner in place it will be a massive injustice, even on non-contract terms. I can't believe that someone appears to have been briefing the Snooze that it's a realistic possibility.

All this talk of optimism is madness. The trust takeover, with all of its problems would take a minimum of 6 weeks to go through, if at all. Birch has to pretty certain that the Trust can complete, otherwise his obligation to creditors means he has to liquidate.

no one has briefed the news at all, its just the news being, well... the news...... I would think any league meeting about pompey tomorrow isnt discusing whether to lift the embargo but more than likly discusing the possibility of denying them access to the league. It's 2 days until the start, they have no owner, masses of debts and no team.

Anyone got 16th August in the sweepstake?

Dominoes for the Trust bid now.

Parachute payments have already been used to compromise with the players that have left, that alone leave a great honking hole in their financial estimates.

Those parachute payments were also needed as security for the short term bridging loan from the council, so that's another hole in their financial estimates.

Even if they get past the next few days, I don't see how they can avoid relegation now, crowds will drop off as there'll be nothing entertaining to watch... TV money next year will be less for them, that'll be another kick to the finances...

I can't see any way out of this for them now.

The trust were always only going to pay football creditors £2m so there is no hole in the financial estimates - its in the business plan. Either the players etc re-negotiate their pay offs or it's liquidation and who knows what they get. It's upto Birch to sort that out. No point taking over the club only to find you cannot fund it.

The trust were always only going to pay football creditors £2m so there is no hole in the financial estimates - its in the business plan. Either the players etc re-negotiate their pay offs or it's liquidation and who knows what they get. It's upto Birch to sort that out. No point taking over the club only to find you cannot fund it.

Another 3 months and another million quid for Birch then.

With your business head on what do you see happening?

Too many questions to be able to say.

1) Does the fact that they now only have 18 year olds on the books mean that they are operating at break even? It so then TB could continue to run the club in Admin allowing more time to reach a solution.

2) How much will Chinny actually accept to release his charge on FP? If it is unrealistic TB could apply to court to sell it to somebody else at a realisic (or only slightly inflatated) valuation. This will take time though.

3) Can the trust raise the funds? I doubt it.

4) Might a 3rd party enter negotiations? Probably unlikely unless they are now able to trade at break even.

IMO Q1 is the most important. If they are now abel to operate at break even (PP covering deferals) then they have the time to reach a solution. If not liquidation probably becomes the most likely outcome.

All speculation obviously. Without knowing details none of us can make a realistic assessment.

Which IMO and that of many others The Trust have not got a cat in hells chance of doing!

But, as andysstuff implies, the Trust surely don;t have time for that? If it took Birch all this time to get the players to agree to compromises that will cost £8 million, how easy wil it be for him to go back to them and say, "do a deal for 1/4 of what we agreed before?"

Mean while the clock is ticking , and once the money that can be realised from liquidation is only just enough to pay birch's firm's bill ,he will surely liquidate?

The big question is who will end up owning Fratton Park?

Another 3 months and another million quid for Birch then.

[/b]

Which IMO and that of many others The Trust have not got a cat in hells chance of doing!

Birch must be worried about the effect this continuing car crash is having on his reputation. It looks increasingly as if, far from protecting the interests of creditors, his actions (inaction?) will have led to most of the liquid assets being used to pay for his administration. Attaboy Trevor!

unless I'm an idiot and I'm always happy to be advised by those than know better, the key seems to be that for the first time the club is now worth more to Chainrai if it is liquidated.

There's £3M sat in an account (has Birch claimed the other £2M PP?).

Presumably this is earmarked for football creditors etc but it makes the club very briefly and falsely cash rich.

Stick the ground in as well and you have a liquidation package worth claiming.

No need to trade, pay creditors or endure the hassle of managers and supporters, or risk further investment - just pull the trigger, keep a straight face and claim your £3M in cash and a development opportunity that could generate another £10M.

Chinny just needs to squeeze the life out of the Trust and he's there.

Or does Birch intend to use this vital £3M to bring in new players and ignore the other debts, just to keep his little gravy train on the tracks for another month or two?

As for this optimism from the Trust...wake up and smell the fat!! - look at the figures! :scared:

Too little, too late.

It still never fails to surprise me how football fans are happy to steal,beg and borrow with not a thought of the people they are effecting.

Surely the best option for the trust now is to use whatever funds they have to fund a phoenix club. Trying to replace Chanrai and keep the club from liquidation would just eradicate what funds they do have without ultimately ensuring survival. If I were a skate - and thank the lord I'm not - I would be begging TB to switch of the life support machine and then get to work on forming a new club.

Don't suppose you've got a book signing in the PO postcode then.

I had the same response from the FA as posted previously, and I have asked them to clarify exactly the point that you have made ie Westwood registered as a player with Lincoln in May 2012, how does that sit with Regulations 41 & 56 ?

Clarification received..

Portsmouth can sign Ashley Westwood on non-contract terms throughout the ‘open window period’. The regulations relating to unemployed players and closed window periods would only apply if they tried to register him in a closed period. The current ‘open window period’ commenced at the start of June and will close on 31st August 2012.

Peter Allen on Radio 5 suggests to Colin Farmery from the Trust that they should liquidate, wipe slate clean and start again.

"That is an option" says geezer from the trust.

I think it's the best way forward for them. Chanrai will rape them on FP rent, so they will just have to move and start from scratch. The big hole in their business plan is getting everyone to pay their pledges. It ain't gonna happen.

Clarification received..

Still take some issue with the term unemployed as most people would take it to refer to someones overall employment position not a specific career. If I called David Cameron an unemployed director I would get funny looks so I can't see how a coach working fulltime fits with the term unemployed.

I think it's the best way forward for them. Chanrai will rape them on FP rent, so they will just have to move and start from scratch. The big hole in their business plan is getting everyone to pay their pledges. It ain't gonna happen.

And all the parachute payments are already gone now, in compromises to get players to leave.

The trouble is, I'm sure the Trust still see it as a fallback option rather than the first-choice option. Clinging onto the old carcass won't solve any problems in the long run. The clever move for the Trust now would be to advise Birch to put the old club to sleep and start a new one but the fans have never seen it that way so I can't see them taking the initiative on this one.

But, of course, if/when it does happen I'm sure we'll hear someone declare "it's what we really wanted all along"...

Too many questions to be able to say.

1) Does the fact that they now only have 18 year olds on the books mean that they are operating at break even? It so then TB could continue to run the club in Admin allowing more time to reach a solution.

2) How much will Chinny actually accept to release his charge on FP? If it is unrealistic TB could apply to court to sell it to somebody else at a realisic (or only slightly inflatated) valuation. This will take time though.

3) Can the trust raise the funds? I doubt it.

4) Might a 3rd party enter negotiations? Probably unlikely unless they are now able to trade at break even.

IMO Q1 is the most important. If they are now abel to operate at break even (PP covering deferals) then they have the time to reach a solution. If not liquidation probably becomes the most likely outcome.

All speculation obviously. Without knowing details none of us can make a realistic assessment.

Only issue with that is they have to prove that they can survive financially for the season to get the share back and take part , they cant at this point so Q1 doesnt come into it .

I was thinking the same about the £1000 pledges. Easy to say your donate. It's now getting everyone to cough up! Never going to happen

Although it is just possible that with Chanrai off the scene and the way clear for the Trust, more people may be tempted to come on board. And, much though I'm amused at Pompey's current, well-deserved predicament, I am in favour of genuine community ownership of football clubs. Even that one. I think if they were to liquidate and start a new club under fans ownership, I'd have to admire that (but, obviously, they'd have to start in the lower leagues like AFC Wimbledon and FC United).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19273525

"Mr Chainrai has gone on the record to say he will not allow Portsmouth Football Club to be liquidated so we welcome that at the PST and hopefully we can hold him to his word."

Hmmm....When are these people going to realise that it's blindly believing everything they've been told over the last five years that has got them into this mess in the first place...?

Edited by trousers

I'd say it was getting the 'ex' players, to wipe out yet more of their money owed to them. Should they achieve this miracle, then they have to justify to the FL why they done that, then signed new players!

I'd say it was getting the 'ex' players, to wipe out yet more of their money owed to them.

So, does that mean the players who have left as heros are now temporarily villains again? Shouldn't a certain local journalist be out there hounding and intimidating them again by now? Time is afterall very short...

But they can only sign players with the express permission of the FL, regardless of the players' status - which presumably they gave in these cases and not in the case of the other triallists.

As there's nothing about the detail of the embargo in the rules (that I'm aware of), I can't confirm or deny that bit.

Um, doesn't that assume that the players who've left haven't already been paid off from the PPs that arrived last weekend ? Cos if it was me in that position I'd probably walk for all the money I was owed and a bit on top, if I happened to know that the club was getting a large chunk of cash that week. And hasn't Chanrai ALREADY said all the PP money has gone, including the next payment, never mind the last one.

Here we go again...

@pn_neil_allen: RT @joemichalczuk: Any I urge every Pompey fan who can afford it does the same - there is no other option for the survival of PFC

...the Pompey public bring asked to poor good money after bad. In fact, they'd be paying twice given that the council has already committed their council tax.

Just do the intellectual thing and start over again. You can then plough the "millions" that you've raised into yielding the club up from the roots rather than chasing after yet more debt. Sigh.

Still take some issue with the term unemployed as most people would take it to refer to someones overall employment position not a specific career. If I called David Cameron an unemployed director I would get funny looks so I can't see how a coach working fulltime fits with the term unemployed.

You can take all the issue you like, the term is explicitly stated with its meaning defined in the FL rules that were linked by Torres earlier. He is an unemployed player, whether he's employed as a coach is irrelevant.

The Westwood thing also supports the rule that they can sign any non-contract players in the Window which I flagged up earlier - the elephant in the room being the assumption that the FL must have assented to the signings OR that both those types of signing are exempt from the embargo.

What sort of mask?

One to hide your face, or a surgical one to hide the smell?

Both good reasons to wear a mask in a city that has no shame or class - today Mr FM has been another cracking day in the history of this forum, and to think when you passed the original info over to me 3 years ago it would lead to a cottage industry which includes71662 responses.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

The trouble is, I'm sure the Trust still see it as a fallback option rather than the first-choice option. Clinging onto the old carcass won't solve any problems in the long run. The clever move for the Trust now would be to advise Birch to put the old club to sleep and start a new one but the fans have never seen it that way so I can't see them taking the initiative on this one.

But, of course, if/when it does happen I'm sure we'll hear someone declare "it's what we really wanted all along"...

Already got one of them on Pat from Poole's Facebook wall, twinned with the phrase "enjoy getting thrashed every week in the PL".