Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Will be interesting to see how they go tomorrow with all the sickening bull**** around biggest fan based club in the history of ever etc....

The difference this year is they appear to have a team of players nobody else wants, as opposed to a bunch of mercenaries that they outbid other teams for. I think they'll be mid-table fodder this year, still 66-1 was far too good value not to get on.

Can't see the value myself, only 2 go down. I just can't see it (unfortunately).

Radio 1 were lapping up Farmery earlier "biggest fan owned club in history. Almost puked on my own genitals.

I know how you feel...

Whittingham was just interviewed on Talksport, and instantly rolled out the old cliches aboutsell out today, how players have turned down bigger offers from other clubs just so they could play for pompey & their amazing fans... and how many season tickets have you sold ? ....

Can't see the value myself, only 2 go down. I just can't see it (unfortunately).

Ooh, as a betting virgin I'm still naively tempted. Book closes at 12.00, but the prospect of buying drinks down a local pub in the PO area if I win is strangely alluring.

@pn_neil_allen: For any late risers, my latest column. So talkSPORT, do you understand why #Pompey were worth the ‘bother’ saving?

http://t.co/Q1Oz6nVrla

It was just over a year ago when talkSPORT ran the poll.

There it was, on the Drive Time web page under pictures of Adrian Durham and Darren Gough.

It was titled: Are Portsmouth worth saving?

Below was one paragraph succinctly summing up the premise for this attempt at gauging the opinion of the Great British public.

It stated: ‘Portsmouth are in severe danger of going under but, after a string of financial mismanagement, would you bother to save them?’

Yes, really. ‘Would you bother to save them?’

This had been prompted by administrator Trevor Birch dropping the bombshell that unless all of the senior first-team players were removed by August 10, 2012, then he would be forced to liquidate the club.

Fratton Park staff were called into a meeting with the PKF/BDO administrator and given the grave news face to face that their very livelihoods were now under threat.

Those connected with the playing side received the damning e-mail while on their pre-season tour in Benahavis – a Spanish bolthole that was no hiding place from bad news.

And the fans, still somehow staggering along on both feet irrespective of endless barrages and beatings drummed into them, had received another blow below the belt.

Cue what was a grotesque and disgustingly flippant poll on the website of the leading commercial sports station in this country.

Well, today, Pompey fans will show that it was worth the ‘bother’ to save their football club.

Some 18,200 will be in attendance at Fratton Park for the opening fixture of the League Two campaign against Oxford.

The sell-out total would have been higher was it not for the safety and security issues which dictated a reduced capacity on a temporary basis.

Regardless, today’s tally will comfortably exceed the crowd for the visit of Fulham in the first game of the Premier League 2009-10 season.

On that occasion, 17,510 were present.

Some four years on, two administrations later and three divisions lower, there are more Blues fans turning out to back their club.

Admittedly, there has been a lot of hassle along the way over the past year – what with high court cases, raising finances and achieving the seemingly impossible.

Some fans gave up, some favoured others who knocked on the door, some steered clear of the politics and the battle in favour of occasionally peeping out the window to discover whether football is back on the agenda again.

Each to their own.

But many threw their support with increasing numbers behind a group who weren’t prepared to accept the fate dictated them.

But was it worth it? Hell, yes.

Their football club now no longer just lives, it has a future.

Quite what manner of future, nobody can be certain. Yet it has people in charge who care for it, who crave for its continued survival.

But who on earth are these people who could possibly want to save a football club following its ‘string of financial mismanagement’?

So far there are 2,061 community shareholders in the Pompey Supporters’ Trust, enabling £2.24m shares to be purchased.

Bearing in mind syndicates do not have to name members or numbers, but instead nominate one person to have their name on the certificate, the truth is there are far, far more supporters involved than that

In addition, there are 11 presidents, previously known as high-net-worth individuals, investing £1.65m – nine of whom are long-time Pompey supporters. That means the Trust have a 57-per-cent shareholding in the club as it stands.

There are still £110,000 community shares to be processed, while 350 £100 pledges are still to be converted, including many former players.

Incidentally, no-one has yet to ask for their £100 back.

In terms of community fundraising events, Fans’ Day collected more than £11,000, Play Up Pompey Music raked in £10,000, as well as a Wedgewood Rooms comedy night and a six-a-side football tournament.

Looking at purely football club revenue at present, more than 10,300 season tickets have been sold.

Not all favour the Trust, it has to be pointed out.

But sponsorship income is up 90 per cent, hospitality income is already up 41 per cent on all of last season and advertising income is up 128 per cent.

Merchandising income is up 1,680 per cent, despite the delays in Sondico opening the club shop.

Finally, Pompey’s player wages to turnover ratio is 34 per cent against the 55 per cent that League Two stipulates.

Clearly, there were plenty out there bothered to save this proud, old football club devastated by characters long since departed.

All very well watching from afar, very afar, and smugly casting judgment over whether a football club should be sent to the electric chair.

But this is Pompey, whose fans twice stepped in to pay back charity money which was misplaced during separate old regimes.

They are used to clearing up the mess of some who were entrusted with their club yet instead took it to the brink of being liquidated and fleeing amid cries of ‘blame somebody else’.

Now fans have done it again.

Incidentally, 57 per cent of people who took part in that poll – which can actually still be found on the internet – said Pompey weren’t worth saving.

Thankfully many, many others whose opinion really do matter completely disagreed.

Edited by trousers

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/coventry-city/10220059/Sky-Blue-ghost-haunts-Football-Leagues-125-year-celebrations-as-Coventry-City-are-docked-10-points.html

“When I was interviewed to be chairman, they (the League) asked me what would be the most important thing. I said keeping the clubs alive; we are merely the stewards of a heritage that goes back 125 years. The people of Barnsley, Portsmouth, Coventry, Accrington deserve a football club to pass on to their children and grandchildren.

“Our job is to not let terrible things happen that deprive communities of their clubs which is why we have pushed Financial Fair Play hard to get costs under control and why we are driving our central revenues hard so that we can keep our clubs alive. It keeps me awake at night. Always. We came really close to losing Portsmouth.

“I went to bed one night thinking ‘it’s over – Portsmouth will lose their football club’. But we got up the next morning, dusted ourselves down and had another go and we found a way.

"I don’t want to take the credit away from the people of Portsmouth who put their hands in their pocket but the work the Football League had to do behind the scenes to help that happen is legion. We felt so good when we got that over the line.’’

Surely fan trusts are the future? “I worry about supporters owning clubs,’’ replied Clarke. “Not because they don’t deserve it. But it’s like banks. If a bank doesn’t have enough capital to survive a crisis, bad things happen.

It’s the same with supporters. When they get relegated, or fall out with the manager and have to pay him off and some big cash crisis, supporters can only put their hands in the pockets so often.

“What I want to see is empowered supporters. Exeter are a great example: fan-owned club, well run, good directors, good board, good fans, run it within their means, don’t do anything daft. But also you have good owners who do it the right way, you have good owners who put fans on the board.

When I was chairman of Leicester City, we had a member of the fans’ trust on our board and he did a great job. I’m completely open to the fans’ model but I don’t think it works every time.’’

Cue pompey fans taking to twitter to exclaim that it wasn't the football league that saved Pompey it was entirely down to the fans. Yet more airbrushing of history from our blue friends...

If it wasn't for the football league bending over backwards to save you when you were breaking every rule under the sun, you'd have been dead an buried 2 years ago. Sigh.

Edited by trousers

@TeamLocals: Teams are out. Dave Kitson gets a big boo. #Pompey http://t.co/lPr0e3KZPO

Why would they boo a player that gave up most of the wages he was due to help save the club? Any ideas Rallyboy?#confused_nutjob

Come on Kitson, get a hat trick and win a place in our hearts

YES!

Goal - Deane Smalley - Portsmouth 1 - 1 Oxford Deane Smalley scores with a right foot finish. Portsmouth 1-1 Oxford Utd.

Sorry - bit behind the times

Would love to know what their next attendance will be. Defeat at the hands of the mighty Oxford, the euphoria of the opening day gone, the reality of League Two football... Anyone want to bet on it being a lot lower than today?

Sorry what am I saying, they're a massive club! 250,000 turned out for the FA Cup parade! Every game will be a sellout...!