Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Neil Allen ‏@pn_neil_allen 3h

Looking like Bournemouth have sold fewer than 1,000 tickets tonight against #Pompey. How many were here against Real Madrid?

Hmmm more likely they realise that Pompey are just a pile of ****e and not worth the effort.

Looking like Bournemouth have sold fewer than 1,000 tickets tonight against #Pompey. How many were here against Real Madrid?

Hmmm more likely they realise that Pompey are just a pile of ****e and not worth the effort.

I really, really hate him. He's such a pr1ck.

Given the option of watching thier team play Real or Pomp*y what was he expecting Bompey fans to do?

He doesn't elicit any hate from me. He's just a complete t1t.

I am amused to find that there's not even a mention of the friendly on the BBC website, which is carrying numerous articles and photos of their match from the weekend.

Also quite pleased to note that Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored as many goals at Dean Court as I have, but he hasn't scored an overhead kick yet. :)

And the revolution just goes on and on. Not only are they leading the way in world football with a completely new ownership model, but they now seem to have revolutionised team building and selection as well.

We didn't realise when nondescript Guy Whittingham arrived on the scene that he had a masterplan to turn football on it's head, to assemble a group of unemployed former professionals for free, not a single penny, and mould them into a new power in league football. It is true that they got off to a slow start, with comfortable wins against non-league sides Havant & Waterlooville and then Bognor Regis, but then people began to sit up and take notice when they pulled off a totally unexpected draw against non-league Braintree, completely against all the odds. Since then they have gone from strength to strength, with back to back defeats against proper football league teams.

You could hear the sighs of relief on Portsea Island all the way to Gosport when the news broke that Barcelona would not be taking Big Guy to La Liga after all. In fact they are now so confident that they have decided to raise their cast-iron player budget limit already, to add yet another unemployed former non-league player to their growing ranks.

Where will it all end?

There will be bumper crowd for this freindly, Rayo Vallecano.

Pompey have announced plans to give serving sailors the chance to watch Sunday’s friendly against Rayo Vallecano.

Members of the Royal Navy can collect tickets for the match (3pm kick-off) from the club’s Frogmore Road ticket office on the day of the game, but will need to show naval identification.

Pompey have announced plans to give serving sailors the chance to watch Sunday’s friendly against Rayo Vallecano.

Members of the Royal Navy can collect tickets for the match (3pm kick-off) from the club’s Frogmore Road ticket office on the day of the game, but will need to show naval identification.

Oh great, if only I had stayed in for another 13 years I could have been going to one of world football's greatest arenas that will be packed to the rafters and 10's of thousands locked out. C'est la vie. Will have to watch the paint dry instead.

to be fair, he is pointing out what plastic fans the Cherries have.

Win-win spin.

Big turnout = pompey still a footballing powerhouse that everyone wants to see.

Poor turnout = Bournemouth fans aren't as passionate or plucky as the few.

Let's be realistic though, two minnows going head to head in a dreary friendly ain't the sporting event of the summer.

But it did allow The Cat to complete his diploma in Advanced Nutjobbery by following the non-game live, via online updates - an action well above and beyond the call of duty.

Good work, great dedication to the cause, even Lord T the official custodian of the thread bonfire will be impressed with that. :)

And that is what this thread is all about, teamwork - people putting themselves out, so you don't have to.

That 24/7 hard graft has elevated the PTS thread to the status of the world's leading international news portal for all things blue few.

It might be ploughing through fifty pages of court papers to find the one sentence that proves a point, it might be Googling organised crime to run a fit and proper person check, it might be trawling through Twitter looking for rash claims by deluded inbreds, or it might be as simple as loitering outside a Portsea DIY shop in the hope that you capture a shot of a mobility scooter across the road.

Nutjobs everywhere, take a bow.

That's what he's trying to say, but actually what it shows is that a game against Portsmouth simply does not interest Bournemouth fans. Afer paying £60 to watch one of the best teams in the world , for any Bompey fans to turn up to see the pompey game was remarkable.

Plenty of Portsmouth bucket rattlers outside the We Are Scientists gig at the Wedgewood Rooms last night - I know they're back to their level but really, how tinpot can you get? More money to spend on player wages before paying creditors their fraction of a penny in the pound, I wouldn't wonder. Now and again I actually feel sorry for the way their fans are exploited. They're scrabbling around for a few quid in the misguided belief that it's a fan-owned club, all while the HNW individuals make a bob or two on their investment.

Going back to the late 40's then, was how they used to fill Fratton then ,next move will be to sign on a few sailors to improve team

I am amused to find that there's not even a mention of the friendly on the BBC website, which is carrying numerous articles and photos of their match from the weekend.

Also quite pleased to note that Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored as many goals at Dean Court as I have, but he hasn't scored an overhead kick yet. :)

Ah good thinking. He's also scored the same amount of goals as me at Dean Court. Although his free kick was further put than both of my goals combined.

I managed to score at both ends though, he did not!

I don't think forking out £60 for a preseason friendly is "plastic", and nor is not wanting to attend a pre-season friendly against a bunch of nobodies from 2 leagues below.

How did they get on against H&W ? Newport beat them 3-0 in Havant last Saturday.

Edited by The9

I don't think forking out £60 for a preseason friendly is "plastic", and nor is not wanting to attend a pre-season friendly against a bunch of nobodies from 2 leagues below.

How did they get on against H&W ? Newport beat them 3-0 in Havant last Saturday.

Its the quality of the defeat not the quantity of goals against.

Going back to the late 40's then' date=' was how they used to fill Fratton then ,next move will be to sign on a few sailors to improve team[/quote']

Actually when they won their 2 back to back League Championships, Pompey only managed to average 37,000 home crowds in a 50,000+ capacity stadium when the city was full of naval personnel with nothing much to do on a Saturday afternoon

Not enough :facepalm: in the world for this:

Also for all the stripy one as mentioned before, it is only 6 years ago they came out of Admin an their millionares stumped 2p in the pound to exit Admin, so that's their moral high ground is. Then they went on and spent £1.2 million on Ricky Lambert and another £1.5 on other players to gain promotion. Did they offer to pay off their CVA any quicker no.

Seems like a very long time ago, but I'm pretty sure we weren't in admin, and didn't have a CVA. The parent Co. was in admin, but I suspect that was eventually wound up after it sold the football club to Markus.

There was never any need for a CVA as all creditors were repaid in full. Even Aviva got the principle of the loan back in full although I beleive that they took a haircut on the interest they'd otherwise have been owed.

We certainly didn't buttf*** the local business community a couple of times and then beg for them to save us.

Edited by Torres

Did you score an overhead kick at Dean Court, Mr 9. You really must tell us about it some time.

Just had a scan, seems a new Portsmyth has been invented. They have convinced themselves we paid 2p in the £ to our creditors? I seem to remember us paying everyone in full?

A man of Markus Liebherrs integrity (and Nicola Corteses' for that matter, ruthless but fair) would not indulge in such skate like behaviour.

All creditors excluding Barclays and Aviva were paid 100% of their debts in full, that’s all the local businesses, all the charities, all the tradesmen... Super creditors/mortgage holders Aviva renegotiated and did very well out of the deal after our promotion to the PL. No idea on Barclays TBH, MLG?

Pompey’s finances have been bolstered by selling more than 10,200 season tickets and reaping bumper corporate sales and sponsorship deals.

Corporate? What corporate? Selling a few padded seats isn’t corporate, ask MK Dons... I would love to find out what kind of sums they are talking about regarding 'corporate sales'.

Sponsorship deals? The free bin collections in exchange for a local waste merchant to paint his phone number on the bins?

The figures we are talking about here will be less than a local car dealership, the new Tesco landlock shop will dwarf the skates in revenue and will be the new kings of fratton, the kwikimart firm in portsea probably has a greater turnover than pompey these days.

mind you, must never forget the £300m p.a skate fc bring into the local economy

good to see the myth factory is still open for business and that there are still easily-led simpletons lapping it all up.

It's been typed so it must be a fact.

Just slightly worrying to see a few pompey fans questioning the wisdom of overspending, and discouraging the signing of Rocha, the poor man's Ben Haim.

It's been a long haul and there's still a long way to go but one-by-one, their fanbase is getting it.

Please, please, please sign Rocha - he looks expensive, unfit, tactically-naive, and a liability.

Win-win

But it did allow The Cat to complete his diploma in Advanced Nutjobbery by following the non-game live, via online updates - an action well above and beyond the call of duty.

Good work, great dedication to the cause, even Lord T the official custodian of the thread bonfire will be impressed with that. :)

I was somehow unaware a game of that magnitude was taking place, but stumbled across the webchat like a Pompey lass wearing broken stilettos on the way home from a Tuesday afternoon session in the pub while waiting for my son to finish watching Adventure Time.

Despite Jake the Dog fast becoming one of my all time favourite cartoon characters my eyes were enticed towards the chance of seeing Factless brutally massage the truth in a way even Avram Grant would have found distasteful.

Sadly Factless wasn't in the hot seat and cascaded the thankless task down to a chap called Jordan. I read a few frankly reasonable posts, picked out a couple of duffers and celebrated Bournemouth's opener with a chuckle that my son presumed was aimed at Ice King in Adventure Time singing the theme to Cheers.

The show finished. Finn and Jake had saved the Land of Ooo so I took my son to bed. I did consider allowing him to stay up and watch the webchat with me, but thought such horrors should not be allowed to scar the innocent mind of a 7 year old.

Plenty of Portsmouth bucket rattlers outside the We Are Scientists gig at the Wedgewood Rooms last night - I know they're back to their level but really, how tinpot can you get? More money to spend on player wages before paying creditors their fraction of a penny in the pound, I wouldn't wonder. Now and again I actually feel sorry for the way their fans are exploited. They're scrabbling around for a few quid in the misguided belief that it's a fan-owned club, all while the HNW individuals make a bob or two on their investment.

They've got regular fund raising nights at the Wedgewood Rooms.

http://www.wedgewood-rooms.co.uk/WhatsOn/LiveMusic/PLAYUPPOMPEYFEST.aspx

Probably suits both parties as the Wedgewood Rooms 'what's on' listings seem quite bare these days.

I was somehow unaware a game of that magnitude was taking place, but stumbled across the webchat like a Pompey lass wearing broken stilettos on the way home from a Tuesday afternoon session in the pub while waiting for my son to finish watching Adventure Time.

Despite Jake the Dog fast becoming one of my all time favourite cartoon characters my eyes were enticed towards the chance of seeing Factless brutally massage the truth in a way even Avram Grant would have found distasteful.

Sadly Factless wasn't in the hot seat and cascaded the thankless task down to a chap called Jordan. I read a few frankly reasonable posts, picked out a couple of duffers and celebrated Bournemouth's opener with a chuckle that my son presumed was aimed at Ice King in Adventure Time singing the theme to Cheers.

The show finished. Finn and Jake had saved the Land of Ooo so I took my son to bed. I did consider allowing him to stay up and watch the webchat with me, but thought such horrors should not be allowed to scar the innocent mind of a 7 year old.

The Land of Owe owe owe

Kind of has a nice Ironic ring to it in connection with the skates.

Marceline the Vampire Queen or motability lady? I know who I think is scarier

They've got regular fund raising nights at the Wedgewood Rooms.

http://www.wedgewood-rooms.co.uk/WhatsOn/LiveMusic/PLAYUPPOMPEYFEST.aspx

Probably suits both parties as the Wedgewood Rooms 'what's on' listings seem quite bare these days.

Yeah, I saw some of the posters dotted around the place. They're in the middle of a 16-day run of gigs at the moment with profits going towards the PST. Specifically didn't spend any money there that I didn't have to ;)

Very true about the Wedge - virtually all of the bands I used to see there are playing venues like the Joiners, Talking Heads, Brook and Cellar now.

if they are so cash rich, debt-free, and massively ahead of projections after reaping bumper corporate sales and sponsorship deals, why are they doing bucket collections?

That's usually the exclusive preserve of clubs flirting with insolvency.

I think we must be mistaken, all new fresh pompey is fan-owned and financially-sound.

I'm sure they're not begging in the streets like a two-bit crack whore.

Unless of course they are quietly struggling to raise the percentage required to wrestle control away from their latest property-developing partner....

No, I'm sure everything is fine.

The local media would have mentioned that if it were true, it would have shown in the accounts.

And the few valued the whole club at about £3M, but now value ONE of the players at £5M?

What an odd island that is for maths.

Yeah maybe, but Pompey fans also reckon they will send some of the players they have just signed on a free because they were "without a club" out on loan to generate funds to pay for a couple of new players. They haven't really got to grips with this ownership/management malarkey yet.

if they are so cash rich, debt-free, and massively ahead of projections after reaping bumper corporate sales and sponsorship deals, why are they doing bucket collections?

That's usually the exclusive preserve of clubs flirting with insolvency.

I think we must be mistaken, all new fresh pompey is fan-owned and financially-sound.

I'm sure they're not begging in the streets like a two-bit crack whore.

Unless of course they are quietly struggling to raise the percentage required to wrestle control away from their latest property-developing partner....

No, I'm sure everything is fine.

The local media would have mentioned that if it were true, it would have shown in the accounts.And the few valued the whole club at about £3M, but now value ONE of the players at £5M?

What an odd island that is for maths.

Accounts, when did they get released, i must have missed that,

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})