Lallana

hypochondriac

He causes a big problem at the moment IMO. Clearly we shouldn't play him on the wing. It's not going to help with the width problem. Presuming Papa plays RW (I hope) then I would like to see Mills given a go LW. The problem then is where to play Adam. My team at the moment would be:

Davis

Thomas Trotman Jaidi Harding

Papa Hammond Schneiderlin Mills

Lambert Saganowski

So where does Adam fit in? Thoughts?

Personally, for the short time he played there, i liked the look of him playing off lambert. He's the sort of player who can pick up the lose balls around the defenders and with his fleet-footedness, he can create something from it.

for me....(at home anyway)..

Davis

James -    Trotman -    Jaidi -    Harding

Hammond    -   Morgan

Papa                               Mills
                Lallana

Lambert

Drop.

Simple - needs time from the bench to find his role.

We cannot afford to carry any players - and at the moment, we're carrying Lallana.

Disagree? Well if you can tell me exactly what he gives the team I'd be delighted to know - saw him from pre-season (you know, just after he told Wotte his head wasn't right) and there is no end product.

He's Neil Heaney without the pace.

He causes a big problem at the moment IMO. Clearly we shouldn't play him on the wing. It's not going to help with the width problem. Presuming Papa plays RW (I hope) then I would like to see Mills given a go LW. The problem then is where to play Adam. My team at the moment would be:

Davis

Lambert Saganowski

It is a difficult situation Lallana has talent but this talent even in League 1 is not helping us to win games so perhaps the time has come to go with the team you suggest

I personally think lallana is class, yes it's tricky to know where best to play him, but he's one of only a couple of players who seems confident enough to have the ball played to his feet when defenders are around him, and often he gets past them or makes the right pass.

I'd keep him on the wing, unless Papa turns out to be much more useful as a winger rather than a striker, if so I'd play Lallana just off Lambert.

Once Lallana is good enough to replace Hammond, Schneiderlin or even James on occasions and has been taught how to take a corner and a decent shot, how the hell no coach hasn't drilled out of him scuffing his shot every bl00dy time yet amazes me, then he shouldn't play.

Ability wise hes should be good enough, as he has the skill just doesn't always know how to use it.

Would like to see him in top of midfield diamond behind Saga and Lambert, with 2 decent wingers and Hammond in front of the back four.

Drop.

We cannot afford to carry any players - and at the moment, we're carrying Lallana.

Disagree? Well if you can tell me exactly what he gives the team I'd be delighted to know - saw him from pre-season (you know, just after he told Wotte his head wasn't right) and there is no end product.

Please tell us WHO is GIVING to the team at the moment and their end product is it Saga eg.Lallana seems to be one of our better performers at the moment

I personally think lallana is class, yes it's tricky to know where best to play him, but he's one of only a couple of players who seems confident enough to have the ball played to his feet when defenders are around him, and often he gets past them or makes the right pass.

I'd keep him on the wing, unless Papa turns out to be much more useful as a winger rather than a striker, if so I'd play Lallana just off Lambert.

But the whole point is that he doesn't give us wdth which is our main problem!

Personally, for the short time he played there, i liked the look of him playing off lambert. He's the sort of player who can pick up the lose balls around the defenders and with his fleet-footedness, he can create something from it.

Davis

Hammond    -   Morgan

Lallana

Lambert

[/quote

+1. Probably my preferred line-up at the moment with possibly Thomas instead of James at RB. Don't think there's anything negative about it as most of midfield likes to get foward with the exception of Schneiderlin (however he knows how to switch the play and pick out runners). As I said elsewhere, I don't think Lambert should be afforded special treatment and could quite easily see Saga playing as the main man upfront.

Davis

Hammond    -   Morgan

Lallana

Lambert

Great looking side though you'd want Mills and Papa pushed right up to be able to act as second strikers, coming inside when the balls on the other wing. That way Lambert wouldn't be so isolated. Also, Lallana would need to be told 'stay up there of be dropped'.

Papa has been bought in to add some real pace to the front line No other reason. Lambert is great in the air has decent touch, leads the line well but runs like he is towing a caravan.

Anyone who thinks he should play wide really doesnt understand much about footy, IMO

Cheers for that. I was speculating about what Pardew MIGHT do. I really hope he does play him RW now just so I can revisit this post and smirk.

Great looking side though you'd want Mills and Papa pushed right up to be able to act as second strikers, coming inside when the balls on the other wing. That was Lambert wouldn't be so isolated. Also, Lallana would need to be told 'stay up there of be dropped'.

Agree, it would only work if lallana was disciplined in that role. He 'shouldn't have to drop deep because Hammond and Morgan will cover that role.

Probably didn't illustrate it well enough, but i did mean to show Mills and Papa pushed right right up

I honestly think that's the way we should play at the moment. Adam does not work on the right or left - just unbalances the team.

Lambert and Saga are TOO SLOW!!!!!!

Mills & Papa have serious pace to get the ball down the wing and into the box, but with your attacking options the box will be EMPTY.

I like Lambert, he has something for this type of league that should not be underestimated, he will get you goals.

Saga to me is an enigma, puts in the effort, makes some good runs and you keep saying to yourself that next week he will fill his boots, but it just never happens. You can look at Saga over various leagues and competitions, from Champions League to League 1 and he does not look totally out of place anywhere, but his goals / assists remain very similar. He is not your Teddy Sheringham, he does not know how to find the correct space to capitalise or killer pass when required. What he does do is make some very intelligent runs, but the main problem is that they require pace to deliver the end product or a killer pass, both of which are absent at present.

Pardew thinks Saga is the answer and there is that possibility if we can start to dominate play. Personally I believe we need that little more from Saga to gain that position of dominance, something he has kept well hidden for a while now. I am not totally unhappy that Pardew will persist with Saga, that is the managers right and he could easily prove my point laughable. But I do feel that pace has to be part of the answer and all of these points and grumbles will be academic if Papa turns out to be the player I imagine.

A large chunk of a managers success comes down to the dealings in the transfer market and Pardew looks to have a gold star in that respect.

Cheers for that. I was speculating about what Pardew MIGHT do. I really hope he does play him RW now just so I can revisit this post and smirk.

God help us if he does play him wide when clearly (IMO of course) we have the slowest front line in the league. Do you not think some pace up front would encourage your typical CB to drop deeper as this is the only way to defend against true pace'? Lambert would then be playing further forward (another thing that he has been critised for). Not forgetting the additional space / time in midfield created allowing the genuine talent (lallana and morgan) to pick passes and dictate the play.

I agree it would be great to have pace out wide but a winger getting to the byeline using blistering pace is easier to defend against and when they do get to the byeline to make the cross lambert and co will still be huffing and puffing to get into the box as they are pllaying to deep.

The problem is you can only play Papa in one position and you have to maximise the impact on the rest of the team as well as what he can individually do. Lets face it he could have the touch of a rapist as far as we know but just the fact that he has pace means our game will change going forward dramatically.

I appreciate with my glib comment that you may well smirk if he does play RM but I personally wont be smirking Ill be holding my head in my hands. Who knows maybe im talking ****** but thats my reasoning why he must play on the shoulder of the CB. Ronaldo is a great winger but Fergy more oftern than not played him up front, you have to ask why. Different player different talent I know but surely the same principles

Drop.

IMO he was man of the match yesterday. One of the very few players that actually looked like creating any chances. Put in 2 or 3 decent crosses after beating their left back yesterday. Looks to take people on and commit defenders (which cant be said for anybody else in the side).

Probably our only real creative minded player. Id play him in the 'free role' behind Lambert and if that doesnt work then anywhere accross the middle.

God help us if he does play him wide when clearly (IMO of course) we have the slowest front line in the league. Do you not think some pace up front would encourage your typical CB to drop deeper as this is the only way to defend against true pace'? Lambert would then be playing further forward (another thing that he has been critised for). Not forgetting the additional space / time in midfield created allowing the genuine talent (lallana and morgan) to pick passes and dictate the play.

I agree it would be great to have pace out wide but a winger getting to the byeline using blistering pace is easier to defend against and when they do get to the byeline to make the cross lambert and co will still be huffing and puffing to get into the box as they are pllaying to deep.

The problem is you can only play Papa in one position and you have to maximise the impact on the rest of the team as well as what he can individually do. Lets face it he could have the touch of a rapist as far as we know but just the fact that he has pace means our game will change going forward dramatically.

I appreciate with my glib comment that you may well smirk if he does play RM but I personally wont be smirking Ill be holding my head in my hands. Who knows maybe im talking ****** but thats my reasoning why he must play on the shoulder of the CB. Ronaldo is a great winger but Fergy more oftern than not played him up front, you have to ask why. Different player different talent I know but surely the same principles

Agree, we badly need pace up front, Paterson, Saganowski and Lambert don't have real pace so teams can just defend with a high line. Hopefully Papa can give us that.

for the next game I'd play:

Davies

Waigo Hammond Morgan Lallana

Lambert

Saga

Lambert and Saga combined pretty well upfront against Birmingham and I can only see the two of them getting better at it with more playing time.

Lambert is best on the egde of the box - and Saga is the sort of player who plays on the shoulder of the defender - they should in theory work well together!

Lallana was great on the left against Birmingham as well - had some great interplay with Lambert - but he need to be encourage to run at the opposition defence and come inside with the ball - playing the through ball or a one-two with the stikers

Morgan should sit deep and act as the playmaker spreading the ball wide and stretching the play or making the killer through ball.

Waigo will give us some real pace I hope - and a perhaps a winger of sorts on the right! He needs to be encouraged to make the runs looking for the diagonal ball from Morgan and link up with the two strikers

Hammond needs to break up the play and be the extra man coming into the box when we are attacking

I saw nothing from the Charlton game on TV last night to worry me. Our defence is looking more solid than its done for a while and I'm not sure Charlton have played a team yet this season with players of the quality of Morgan, Waigo (?), Lallana and Saga. We just need to make sure we play a system that gets the best out of these players.

Yesterday and against Brum Lallana was causing the opposition defence all sorts of problems with the ball at his feet - we just need to make sure we make the most of the chaos and space he creates in the oppostion defence. He has the potential to be a real match winner for us by creating chances for our strikers if we get the system right.

Davis

Hammond    -   Morgan

Lallana

Lambert

Not sure how to do the layout but I would push the wide men forward and play Lallana alongside Lambert. Lambert was way too deep yesterday for the first half and I think it's because he recognises he will not get crosses to run onto. I like the team you have there.

Drop lallana HE ISNT A WINGER and Mills is a far better option at LM and Waigo will probably be a better option on the RM. If you wanna have him in the side his best position is probably sitting behind the strikers but that means dropping either Morgan or Hammond or playing Lambert upfront on his own. The whole problem we have atm is that our wide men are not staying wide to cause problems, the more crosses we put into the box the more chances we'll get. Yes Lallana is a good player but its no use keeping him in a position that someone else is better at.

Drop lallana HE ISNT A WINGER and Mills is a far better option at LM and Waigo will probably be a better option on the RM. If you wanna have him in the side his best position is probably sitting behind the strikers but that means dropping either Morgan or Hammond or playing Lambert upfront on his own. The whole problem we have atm is that our wide men are not staying wide to cause problems, the more crosses we put into the box the more chances we'll get. Yes Lallana is a good player but its no use keeping him in a position that someone else is better at.

I thought Mills stayed wide when he came on, but his delivery was not great. And when it was, the bloody strikers were too deep!!

Davis

Hammond    -   Morgan

Lallana

Lambert

I like the team but didn't a certain dutch fellow get slaughtered for playing that formation over 442?

I like the team but didn't a certain dutch fellow get slaughtered for playing that formation over 442?

He played it with the wrong players with no tactical discipline.

we didn't have a natural right winger and we didn't have an out and out goal scorer.

It was just a bunch of attacking minded players running around with no attacking discipline. - that was pretty much it.

Davis

Hammond    -   Morgan

Lallana

[b]  Lambert[/b]

Why the **** have a target man up front, on his tod, with no one playing off him?? lallana is too small and light weight (as he prooved yesterday) to be up front. Nice flicks and touches but probably not what this team needs in all honesty, but if you need to give him a free roll, if we can afford to. As has been said before take the pressure of him.

I would like to see us go 3-5-2, we now have the cb's - and haveing five in midfield would allow us to be more creative (hopefully)..... so

my team is

Davis

Thomas - Jaidi - Trotman

James - Morgan - Hammond - Harding

Lalla

Lambert - Papa

Subs

bart

perry(experienced cover)

holmes (if fit)

gillett

saga(if he wants to play)

..... and then two of the yoofs trying to get through

Papa has been bought in to add some real pace to the front line No other reason. Lambert is great in the air has decent touch, leads the line well but runs like he is towing a caravan.

Anyone who thinks he should play wide really doesnt understand much about footy, IMO

That's a bit worrying as Pardew has been playing him wide! Whilst I agree that we do need width I think some are getting too caught up about having two outright wingers. Lallana is not a winger but he can play left or right midfield - from what I have seen this year left side midfield is the better as it allows him to cut in toward goal. Not all wide midfiled players have to be speedy wingers who get the byline, different class I know but didn't Zidane play wide midfield and Joe Cole for England - neither are wingers. Of course playing Lallana on the left means we cannot accomodate our only two genuine wingers, Holmes particularly butalso Mills. I was not a Lallana fan at the start of the season but I thought he played well yesterday (first half especially) and also against Birmingham - he's far from the finished article but for me he is the most likley to make something happen. If we play 2 up front then I would keep him on the left and play the speedy winger on the right (currently Papa is the only player we have who fits that role, and that's yet to be proved). Otherwise I like the idea of 1 up front with Lallana "in the hole" and 2 wide players - BUT all I read last year was how we should be playing 2 up front (I didn't get to many matches so cannot comment from personal experience).

Bottom line is that I think on current (home) form Lallana should play and I reckon he can fit into wide left, wide right or off the striker depending depending on who else is available.

Why the **** have a target man up front, on his tod, with no one playing off him?? lallana is too small and light weight (as he prooved yesterday) to be up front. Nice flicks and touches but probably not what this team needs in all honesty, but if you need to give him a free roll, if we can afford to. As has been said before take the pressure of him.

I probably didn't illustrate it perfectly, but what that formation will bring is the wingers and adam all into the attack, getting into the box from Lambos flicks.

If it's played right, and players are disciplined in their positions - then lambert wouldn't be isolated IMO.

Once Lallana is good enough to replace Hammond, Schneiderlin or even James on occasions and has been taught how to take a corner and a decent shot, how the hell no coach hasn't drilled out of him scuffing his shot every bl00dy time yet amazes me, then he shouldn't play.

Ability wise hes should be good enough, as he has the skill just doesn't always know how to use it.

Would like to see him in top of midfield diamond behind Saga and Lambert, with 2 decent wingers and Hammond in front of the back four.

Like the one he scuffed against Brum? Frankly he needs a lot more backing from supporters than he gets. He is class and we need him in the side.

I probably didn't illustrate it perfectly, but what that formation will bring is the wingers and adam all into the attack, getting into the box from Lambos flicks.

If it's played right, and players are disciplined in their positions - then lambert wouldn't be isolated IMO.

Sorry Lambert needs a strike partner who will read his flicks and play close to him. Last season Leicester did it with Howard and Fryatt but they played with more width than we do. I think a lot of this will change once we get that first win - it's about confidence. I thin Lallan should be given a cewntral midfield role with a licence to get forward. Let him play with freedom and express himself. Holmes is my hope on the left to give us width -Fish is a full back not a winger imo.

Sorry Lambert needs a strike partner who will read his flicks and play close to him. Last season Leicester did it with Howard and Fryatt but they played with more width than we do. I think a lot of this will change once we get that first win - it's about confidence. I thin Lallan should be given a cewntral midfield role with a licence to get forward. Let him play with freedom and express himself. Holmes is my hope on the left to give us width -Fish is a full back not a winger imo.

I think to be honest Lallana has had the 'freedom to express himself' in every game he's played - no-one has been shackling his ankles have they?

People are moaning about Holmes suddenly becoming a world-beater in his injury absence, but this hero worshipping of Lallana is getting just as ridiculous.

They are many in the team (inc. another slatable player in many eyes Lloyd James) who put more effort into their performance and contribute more than Lallana.

So what is it then? Impressed by his heel turns?

That's lovely if you're on Strictly Come Dancing with Brucie but in League 1, nah.

Impressed by his corner taking?

Impressed by his shooting?

Impressed by WHAT exactly?

I know that some on here are trying to paint Lallana as Le Tiss in terms of promise and ability but GUESS WHAT....Le Tiss actually performed and changed games with his play -

When was the time Lallana EVER did that?

I think to be honest Lallana has had the 'freedom to express himself' in every game he's played - no-one has been shackling his ankles have they?

People are moaning about Holmes suddenly becoming a world-beater in his injury absence, but this hero worshipping of Lallana is getting just as ridiculous.

They are many in the team (inc. another slatable player in many eyes Lloyd James) who put more effort into their performance and contribute more than Lallana.

That's lovely if you're on Strictly Come Dancing with Brucie but in League 1, nah.

I know that some on here are trying to paint Lallana as Le Tiss in terms of promise and ability but GUESS WHAT....Le Tiss actually performed and changed games with his play -

West Brom Away - May 08?

Davis

Hammond    -   Morgan

Lallana

Lambert

I think this would be a ok line up away from home, I didnt think Lallana did that well Saturday when he played off Lambert he was slow to react to he flick on's ect.

Lallana's the sort of player you want to fit into the team he is talented but you do have to fit him in, at home I can only see him playing wide right as we need two up front or maybe don't start with him.

We have invested 1 million in a proven goal scorer and we are failing to provide decent service, we need to build the team round Lambert because if anyone is going to get the goals to get us up league it is him so maybe Lallana needs to come on from the bench

West Brom Away - May 08?

It's almost 17 months since that game when he made a difference....and yet he's supposedly the player we should build around.

Crazy.

We should be concentrating on how we are going to give service to Lambert - THE BEST STRIKER IN THIS LEAGUE - instead we're going on about how we can guarantee Lallana a starting place when he can't even deliver a corner...

Marvellous.

As good as he seems to be, I don't think you could put him in our first team if everyone is fit, unless you play him just behind Lambert as a second striker. Mills and Waigo would take the wings, with Hammond and James in the centre.

Davis

Hammond    -   Morgan

Lallana

Lambert

Thats the side for me more or less.

It's almost 17 months since that game when he made a difference....and yet he's supposedly the player we should build around.

Crazy.

We should be concentrating on how we are going to give service to Lambert - THE BEST STRIKER IN THIS LEAGUE - instead we're going on about how we can guarantee Lallana a starting place when he can't even deliver a corner...

Marvellous.

Maybe it's because he's been playing well recently and most people can see he has the potential to be a very good player. Even Le Tiss was in/out of the team at the start of his career. He needs encouragement rather than stick.

Davis

Lambert Saganowski

Simple, at the moment he should either be in the reserves or loaned out to a League 2 side. He is one of those unfortunate young players who was made a star before he actually achieved very much. He will be good one day, but first he has to learn basic stuff like delivering an end product, in terms of a pass to a team mate, or a decent strike on goal. It is the danger of introducing players too soon. Drop him, give him the shock he needs that he is not invincible, then gradually reintroduce him when he got himself a decent haircut.

Birmingham 2 weeks ago.... You seriously need to lighten up on Lallana. At the moment there are a lot of underachievers! AL needs to improve but the fact that you cannot see anything good in him suggests you haven't got a clue - respewctfully.