portaloo out

Oz

I think that most of us knew that when Poortvliet and Wotte were appointed that we would need three other CCC clubs to go into administration to save us from relegation this season.

I admire and sympathise with those who will be following the team regularly this season. I haven't been this season, but based on the defending I've seen in the two SKY games, we will be on the end of quite a few heavy defeats.

Shame, as there are signs of real promise, and Lallana is clearly a class act. However I share Dion Dublin's fears for us. He has played in the CCC for the last few years and clearly knows what he's talking about. You have to have a blend, to have 9 youngsters in the starting line-up is crazy beyond belief.

Please prove me wrong, Saints.

I think that most of us knew that when Poortvliet and Wotte were appointed that we would need three other CCC clubs to go into administration to save us from relegation this season.

I admire and sympathise with those who will be following the team regularly this season. I haven't been this season, but based on the defending I've seen in the two SKY games, we will be on the end of quite a few heavy defeats.

Shame, as there are signs of real promise, and Lallana is clearly a class act. However I share Dion Dublin's fears for us. He has played in the CCC for the last few years and clearly knows what he's talking about. You have to have a blend, to have 9 youngsters in the starting line-up is crazy beyond belief.

Please prove me wrong, Saints.

Just wondering why they should prove you wrong just because you ask nicely? Its not like you have not just admitted that you have given up on them.

For the record, I hope they prove me right over the course of the league season (not just the 1st month)

There in lies the problem..... 30 years ago, if in this situation, we could be pretty sure that we would have the time to see this young side develop as a unit and would probably end up winning the leagie a season after promotion.... sadly now there is no time. The best will be unsettled by rumours and mouthy agent wa*kers and be off as soon as the greenback is offered, and the panic of perhapsgetting relegated wills et in and the 'experient' will be abandoned.

What makes it even worse is that with teh possible exception of Lallana and surman, the team is actually made up of ordinary players where the total playing this way is greater than the sum of the parts.

There in lies the problem..... 30 years ago, if in this situation, we could be pretty sure that we would have the time to see this young side develop as a unit and would probably end up winning the leagie a season after promotion.... sadly now there is no time. The best will be unsettled by rumours and mouthy agent wa*kers and be off as soon as the greenback is offered, and the panic of perhapsgetting relegated wills et in and the 'experient' will be abandoned.

What makes it even worse is that with teh possible exception of Lallana and surman, the team is actually made up of ordinary players where the total playing this way is greater than the sum of the parts.

I've got a savings account like that - the total in it is greater than the exceedingly ordinary individual amounts paid in. The difference of course is interest - and that's just about all that can be said about Saints experiment -there is a little interest in it - but it aint gonna make us rich.

Can I point out that even the great Dario Gradi couldn't keep Crewe up for ever - and he certainly knew about playing youngsters. If the quality is not there, as it wasn't in the 05/06 season, it doesn't matter how good the manager is you just go down.

We look like we have a little more than that Crewe side (Lallana for starters) but we must ensure heads don't go down and we actually get what we deserve out of games.

Can I point out that even the great Dario Gradi couldn't keep Crewe up for ever - and he certainly knew about playing youngsters. If the quality is not there, as it wasn't in the 05/06 season, it doesn't matter how good the manager is you just go down.

We look like we have a little more than that Crewe side (Lallana for starters) but we must ensure heads don't go down and we actually get what we deserve out of games.

I agree with you. Trouble is that come January, Lallana will be sold. I hope I'm wrong about this but I bet I'm not. You can bet that we will come out of January with a worse squad than now so if we're in the bottom 3 in December, I think we're ****ed.

If you haven't got anything worth reading to say, then say nothing. Posts like this aren't worth reading and may be contributing to the decline in this forum.

you living in cloud cuckoo land or what? the fact of the matter is we are heading for a points total of less than 30 and gates of under 15,000. this needs to be addressed - NOW!

you living in cloud cuckoo land or what? the fact of the matter is we are heading for a points total of less than 30 and gates of under 15,000. this needs to be addressed - NOW!

How do we address it? We are playing with youth for a reason not just for a laugh. Should we change our manager again? There are still 41 matches to go so please keep your itchy finger away from the trigger.

My concern is that we seem to be getting worse and more disorganised at the back as each game goes by. We shall have a better idea of our situation after the two games this week but already our thin squad is looking very threadbare.

I dont know what your expectations are but mine are not high.

A 4 - 1 defeat away from home is not a disaster with ten men.

Just be patient if we go down we go down so what it is not the end of the world

when optimists like you are concerned then we are in a bad way BS

While I applaud the effort and champion the use of the good youngsters - I am concerned about the quality in the squad and worry that we only have a handful of good championship players rather than a team full.

1 win in 5 is poor by anyone’s standards - I hope I’m proved wrong over the next 2 weeks.

Not sure Port is to blame - more just a lack of quality in the squad.

Such a reaction was expected after the result, some have not waited until now in asking for JP to go, I'm suprised 'relegation form' hasn't been posted already, as highlighted earlier 41 games to go, just lost a game where most of the game was played with only 10 men, in that period we managed to get a goal back, then succumbed as alot of teams do when a man down, Football is about 11 vs 11 you can take nothing from a game when the other team gains such an advantage, similar to the England game.

The sad thing is, our attendence shouldnt be so low. Its a disgrace. I remember a game last season - we were singing OWTS for about 90 mins and pretty much blew the ball into the net.

Leeds fill their stadium every week!

If people turned up we would be financially better off and it would give our team greater confidence but what can one do to get the message out?

Is that a FACT?

Oldham Athletic H 24,631

Crystal Palace H 10,765

Bristol Rovers H 21,024

Bradford City H 20,128

Crewe Alexandra H 20,075

to be fair, Leeds crowds are good for the division they are in. And it is their 2nd year down there, although winning always helps. Forest and Wednesday also got good crowds when in that division. I can't really blame people for not going, but it is a shame that we can't get 18k minimum for the smaller games, rising to 25-27k for the bigger home games.

The sad thing is, our attendence shouldnt be so low. Its a disgrace. I remember a game last season - we were singing OWTS for about 90 mins and pretty much blew the ball into the net.

If people turned up we would be financially better off and it would give our team greater confidence but what can one do to get the message out?

As 'Scudamore' pointed out Leeds don't fill their ground every week (and the 'Bradford derby' recently included 3000 visitors). Look at Brum, top of the league, just scraped 18,000 on Saturday.

Considering our predicament are our crowds that bad?

Our parlous situation is more to do with the material that PV has to work with than his policies imo. His style of play is very attractive and exciting, and if time was on our side - which it isn't - in a year's time with much of this squad, we probably could match other teams in muscle and more than outplay them in skill.

Unfortunately Lowe and Wilde will sell off anyone they can as soon as they can. So next season we will probably be fielding the under 16's at the bottom of League 1.

So don't blame PV. He ain't no Pearson, but he is doing the best he can in the circumstances.

Blame Lowe and Wilde's indiscriminate selling policy.

Our parlous situation is more to do with the material that PV has to work with than his policies imo. His style of play is very attractive and exciting, and if time was on our side - which it isn't - in a year's time with much of this squad, we probably could match other teams in muscle and more than outplay them in skill.

Unfortunately Lowe and Wilde will sell off anyone they can as soon as they can. So next season we will probably be fielding the under 16's at the bottom of League 1.

So don't blame PV. He ain't no Pearson, but he is doing the best he can in the circumstances.

Slash and burn policy:smt101

How many times does it have to be said that we are and always have been a selling club? It is more acute now because (a) we need the money to stay in existence and (b) contracts don't seem to be worth the paper they are written on unless we're trying to get highly paid "stars" off the books. Players and agents know that if a bigger club comes in (anyone in the Premier league) they can be off regardless of what the chairman thinks.

But back to this thread. I've waited all day to come on here because I didn't want to depress myself with the all-too-predictable posts following a defeat - like the one at the top. Why do we all want instant gratification? It's going to take time for a young team like ours to get used to playing at this level and they will lose a few. Arguing that we shouldn't be playing such a young team ignores the fact that a team of seasoned pros nearly got us relegated last season. Why not give the team and the manager a chance over more than 5 games before posting banalities like this? I'm loving the football we're playing and I'm sure that the results will come if we don't panic.

Jan! Jan!

Wherever you may be

You are the king of Saints FC

and you can ****, my wife on your settee

If you get us promoted at Wem-ber-lee.

:)

If i had paid my fiver i'd start a thread about our lack of chanting in support of the guy but we should certainly try and get something going, he's only human and he too needs our support through the first few matches.

As 'Scudamore' pointed out Leeds don't fill their ground every week (and the 'Bradford derby' recently included 3000 visitors). Look at Brum, top of the league, just scraped 18,000 on Saturday.

Considering our predicament are our crowds that bad?

Other attendances from the weekend:

Sheff Wed: 17,066

Coventry: 16,544

Two clubs who I think are similar size as us. It puts into perspective our attendace against Blackpool, which was on sky...

Crowds are getting smaller everywhere, its not just at SMS.

Other attendances from the weekend:

Sheff Wed: 17,066

Coventry: 16,544

Two clubs who I think are similar size as us. It puts into perspective our attendace against Blackpool, which was on sky...

Crowds are getting smaller everywhere, its not just at SMS.

The credit crunch is affecting everyone.

I'm sorry but you are in the minority believing this experiment is the way forward. Attendances are low because missing fans are unconvinced!

Let's be honest we cannot keep clean sheets, we cannot score goals we can play pretty football in areas of the pitch that don't win games. Played 5 won 1 lost 4 scored 4 conceded 9, 3 points. On that rate we will less than 30 points. It's not good enough is it? Why no Scacel, Wright Philips, Perry, John yesterday? To many youngsters at once.

I dont know what your expectations are but mine are not high.

A 4 - 1 defeat away from home is not a disaster with ten men.

Just be patient if we go down we go down so what it is not the end of the world

You are of course, entitled to you're opinion,but IMO you are very wide of the mark with that statement.

And if Oz was elected to the chair, no doubt everything would suddenly be fantastic, and we'd only need 10 men to beat sides away from home, we could start paying players £20K a week and have world class players lining up to join the club. Too easy to carp at a result where luck played as much part as skill, probably more so, and not to have any opinion about what could possibly be done differently.

And if Oz was elected to the chair, no doubt everything would suddenly be fantastic, and we'd only need 10 men to beat sides away from home, we could start paying players £20K a week and have world class players lining up to join the club. Too easy to carp at a result where luck played as much part as skill, probably more so, and not to have any opinion about what could possibly be done differently.

get rid of lowe, wilde and portaloo would be a start!

[/b]

You are of course, entitled to you're opinion,but IMO you are very wide of the mark with that statement.

I know it would not be ideal but Bristol City Nottingham Forest and Swansea were once in the top flight have recently been promoted to the Championship.

Man City Bolton Wolves Aston Villa have all been in the old Third Division in the last thirty years and maybe Blackburn

I like some on here were looking forward to a season filled with entertaining football and a chance to give youth a go. However I look at our team on Saturday and can't help but think it's a youth team at best. They do not have the physical ability or experience at this level...YET.

We need a blend of experience and youth and a manager that knows how to alter things when the match is slipping away. At the moment I don't think we have this.

We have experieenced players on the bench and feel with Perry starting we wouldn't have conceded that early goal.

I'm also doubting McGoldrick - we are pinning our hopes on all our goals from this fella and he has no more than a few subs appearances to his name - the same can be said for Llana.

It's time to get this sorted because we cannot kid ourselves we are in trouble. It's sad to say but I'm actually jealous of teams like Coventry - they have Eastwood and Morrison - I'd never thought I'd say this but I'd love them in our team. We seem to have settled for free transfers/loans/getting rid of our best players and I can understand the need to do this financially but it is a pity.

get rid of lowe, wilde and portaloo would be a start!
You have me convinced Oz from Portsmouth. Get rid of Jan. I will also only give the next manager 5 League games to convince me he's good enough and i will not take into consideration any League Cup games he may win against lower league opposition (such as Exeter or Birmingham like Poortvliet did).

I'm sorry but you are in the minority believing this experiment is the way forward. Attendances are low because missing fans are unconvinced!

Let's be honest we cannot keep clean sheets, we cannot score goals we can play pretty football in areas of the pitch that don't win games. Played 5 won 1 lost 4 scored 4 conceded 9, 3 points. On that rate we will less than 30 points. It's not good enough is it? Why no Scacel, Wright Philips, Perry, John yesterday? To many youngsters at once.

So I assume you think Birmingham and Wolves will finish with record points totals of 120, and Wolves will have a goal difference of +100? And Plymouth will only get 18 points?

You can not predict where teams will finish after just 5 league games...

6 games into last season Crystal Palace, Ipswich and QPR were all below 18th in the table, also Coventry and S****horpe were in play off positions.

9 games into the 06/07 season Stoke and Sheff Wed were both in the relegation zone, Sheff Wed finished 4 points outside the playoffs and Stoke finish 2 points from the play offs.

I win in 5. Te facts don't lie. The season has barely started.

I recall a certain group of posters continually bringing up Pearsons record. I wonder if the same group will attach the same level of importance to statistics in Jans case. Take into account Pearon took over a team (not 'his' team) in freefall and managed to turn them around whereas we are led to believe this is Jan's team and one that he had a whole pre-season with.

The reality is is that he's probably doing 'ok' with the team he's got and other than the selection questions of Sunday at the back then I'm not sure he's done a huge amount wrong.

Yeh of course, let's all panic!

Sack the manager NOW! We haven't had a new one now for, let me see, all of 3 or 4 months. And of course the managerial merry-go-round has proven to be a great success for us over recent seasons. While we're at it let's start booing the performances, that'll help the lads' confidence. Anyone got any good new Lowe out chants we can give a try?

For god's sake give the guy a chance, he's working with an incredibly thin squad and virtually no money. Let's face it the defence is currently no worse than the start of last season and at least the green shoots of hope are visible elsewhere.