The Saints Are Coming

Daren W

Always liked this being played at St Marys but was it just me or did the hairs on the back of your neck go up when 50,000 Saints fans started singing it? Shame we can't people singing it more at St Marys....

The Saints are coming... too ****ing right...

Hairs stood up on the back of my neck a few times during the run up & the match not to mention during the celebrations afterwards.

'All Southampton FC' sung by all of the crowd was one that even got to the tear ducts after the third goal - I just stood there thinking how far we've come & how close we came....

Marcus, Nicola, Alan Pardew & the team - I salute you - thank you for bringing so much happiness to an old boy & his son....both 'New' Wembley virgins & only one of us old enough to remember the last time we won a Wembley final.

Anyone notice the lyrics were different?

No. As far as I can tell, the lyrics always are "the saints are coming " about 4 times , followed by ".....something ,something, something else," far too quick to hear with the human ear.

But it's a good song for us to adopt whatever the lyrics. ;-)

K.

No. As far as I can tell, the lyrics always are "the saints are coming " about 4 times , followed by ".....something ,something, something else," far too quick to hear with the human ear.

K.

Lyrics to The Saints Are Coming :

I cried to my daddy on the telephone

how long now

Until the clouds unroll and you come home

the line went

But the shadows still remain since your descent

your descent

The saints are coming, the saints are coming

No matter how I try, I realise there's no reply

A drowning sorrow floods the deepest grief

How long now

Until a weather change condemns belief

The stone says

This paternal guide once had his day

Once had his day

No matter how I try, I realise there's no reply

[ The Saints Are Coming Lyrics on http://www.lyricsmania.com/ ]

Always liked this being played at St Marys but was it just me or did the hairs on the back of your neck go up when 50,000 Saints fans started singing it? Shame we can't people singing it more at St Marys....

The Saints are coming... too ****ing right...

Was in Club Wembley (205 far end with a few Carlisle sat around us) they were in awe at the wall of noise when we all started singing it, it was Frigging spine tingling! a sight and sound I will never forget a bit like this hangover.

Saint till I die!

K.

Perfect for the Northam then! ;)

Sounded f**king MEGA!!! In the thread re: the poll about song choices there were a few of us that said they should use the original... master stroke!

I was definitely 'in that number' as well.

I thought the Carlisle selection of One Step Beyond a bit bizarre,but can't imagine anything worse than One Vision being blasted out in our moment of glory.

****in hell just watching that brought a lump to the throat was amazing when everyone started singing with thew song. Definitely revert back to that for before matches and when we win stirred the crowd big time

funny when Stuart Dennis appeared on pitch, i said to my 2 sons please god do not let him start saying

with

papa

with adam

marching on wembley

Strange little titbit there.....all this time he has been giving it the "With Papa, and Adam, and Rickie" stuff and as I said to my old man when we were 3 up who scored the goals ?

That'll be Papa, and Adam, and Rickie !! :D

Nice one mate. Quality link and tune.

Can't see why the "The Saints Are Coming" can't translate into a decent terrace song...

"The Saints Are Coming, The Saints Are Coming... clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap, The Saints Are Coming"

Lead singer of the Skids wrote it when he was 16 I believe. It's about his mate who went off in the army and died in the Irish troubles I think, and left a child behind. Great song, the original I mean, the U2/Greengay version is sh!t.

No reason why we couldn't get it going as a terrace chant.

Yes Mr Jobson should invite him and his band to SMS....

Lead singer of the Skids wrote it when he was 16 I believe. It's about his mate who went off in the army and died in the Irish troubles I think, and left a child behind. Great song, the original I mean, the U2/Greengay version is sh!t.

No reason why we couldn't get it going as a terrace chant.

Like others have said, it was a spine tingling moment, but not simply for the wall of noise but with the sheer intensity of how it was sung, it simply came out as a massive statement of intent.

Watch out the world of football, The Saints are Coming.

We are on the way back.

Another awesome moment in an awesome day

Can't see why the "The Saints Are Coming" can't translate into a decent terrace song...

"The Saints Are Coming, The Saints Are Coming... clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap, The Saints Are Coming"

Agreed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLT3PfNlIfA

Ignore the slow start of the song, and pick up at the 40 second mark.

Replace the lyrics with:

We will follow you through thick and thin,

Southampton...

and we'll sing our hearts out lose draw or win,

Southampton...

'cos the Red and White, means everything,

Southampton...

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap...

The Saints, are coming...

and no matter how you try, there is nowhere for you to hide,

and no matter how you try, there is nowhere for you to hide,

The Saints!

Swiftly followed with the usual:

clap clap, clap clap clap, clap clap clap clap, The Saints!

(and repeat)

This should be played in the last few minutes before the players exit the tunnel at every home game. I love the way ManU run out to 'This is the One' by the Stone Roses... gets everyone up for it.

However - at no other point during the game should music be used.

Slightly off on a tangent, but does anyone remember in the early days of the Premiership we played Man U at the Dell. THink it was the first televised prem game at the Dell or something. Anyway Sky had rigged up loads of speakers all hanging off the upper tiers, and Curiosity Killed the Cat were brought on at half time to sing there latest single or something. All I really remember is the entire crowd drowning them out with a rousing chant of 'who the f*uckin 'ell are you'. Must have sounded brilliant on tv :-)