Election 2010 - How will you vote?

Baj

How will you vote in the general election?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote in the general election?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Lib Dem
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Green
    • Respect
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Other
    • I don't intend to vote
    • Undecided

Those who choose "Don't intend to vote" - don't chuffing well moan about the policies that are initiated during the next session of parliament...

TBF anyone living a non marginal constituency might as well stay at home.

Those who choose "Don't intend to vote" - don't chuffing well moan about the policies that are initiated during the next session of parliament...

I think there should be a "spoiled vote" option. That way it can reflect those who do care but find no one who is worth voting for.

I'd expect this GE to have a very low voter turnout and to a large extent that's because of disillusionment with the current state of politics. As someone pointed out earlier unless you live in a marginal then your vote won't really count anyway.

I don't really see the point of voting where I live - it'll always be Tory. A blue paper bag would get elected here. I also see very little difference between the major parties (lib dems excepted to a certain extent) so ironically given that this election like so many others will be dominated by the word "change" I can't actually see very much of it on offer.

I'll spoil my vote and refuse to get hoodwinked by a lot of PR and slogans.

why? i believe that they are all as bad as each other so choose not to choose. Whoever i vote for would only break all promises they made before and look to make as much cash for themselves as possible before yet another scandel comes to light and we all end up paying for their mistakes.

Anarchy seems a pleasant alternative to the police state that we have now. We are watched every where we go, freedom of speech gone, this banned that banned; luckily no ID cards yet. I can just see the Labour Stasi; 'your papers please'.

Who do we vote for to get our freedoms back?

The point is that someone has to run the country so all this spoilt vote nonsense is pretty shortsighted.

So given a choice between party A and party B both being exactly the same except for slogans you'd choose to legitimise the process? Of course someone has to run the country - my point is I'd rather none of the contenders did. That's a valid point of view isn't it? It's just not represented on the ballot paper which is why I will spoil my vote unless I'm persuaded otherwise.

I should also point out that if my ballot paper contained all the parties on this poll or we had proportional representation then I probably wouldn't be spoiling my vote.

I can never understand why people say there is no point voting in an area because one party is guaranteed to win. If everyone who felt like that voted then maybe it wouldn't be so guaranteed for a certain party

1997 the tories took a right kicking across the country - except for the constituency I live in where they actually increased their majority. That killed any idea I may have had that my vote actually would count. It doesn't and neither does your vote count if you're not lucky enough to live in a marginal.

You may go home satisfied you've paid a part in the political process but the fact is when we wake up on the day after the election the majority of people eligible to vote will not have voted for the party that won and neither will there be a proportional distribution of power based on that vote.

why? i believe that they are all as bad as each other so choose not to choose. Whoever i vote for would only break all promises they made before and look to make as much cash for themselves as possible before yet another scandel comes to light and we all end up paying for their mistakes.

You don't have to vote for the main 3 parties though Mike, on May 6th you will have a whole array of parties to vote for...

A quick note about the poll on this thread; it is interesting to see the Liberals overtaking Labour, I could never imagine the LD as the opposition!

The way to do that is to deface your ballot paper :) Those who don't even bother to get up off of their fat lazy arses on May 6th have no excuses.

The way to do it, is to vote for a minority party or independent candidate. This sends a clear message to the main parties.

Anarchy seems a pleasant alternative to the police state that we have now. We are watched every where we go, freedom of speech gone, this banned that banned; luckily no ID cards yet. I can just see the Labour Stasi; 'your papers please'.

Wow! A couple of people I actually agree with on this thread.

It's heavy odds-on that once you say 'f**** the lot of them - I ain't voting for none of the lying bas****s' you always get someone come out with 'we live in a democracy - why don't you p*** off to a dictator led fascist country'.

ie - totally missing the point!

Good luck to all of you who actually believe the stuff 'your' party spouts.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as true freedom. However, from what i've seen (not much, I admit) the Lib Dems seem to be the most promising.

Wow! A couple of people I actually agree with on this thread.

It's heavy odds-on that once you say 'f**** the lot of them - I ain't voting for none of the lying bas****s' you always get someone come out with 'we live in a democracy - why don't you p*** off to a dictator led fascist country'.

ie - totally missing the point!

Good luck to all of you who actually believe the stuff 'your' party spouts.

Elections are always about finding the best of a bad bunch. The group that can do the best for the country right at this moment in time.

I will be spoiling my vote on come election time. Where I live I'll be lucky lucky if there are 3 parties, let alone minority ones. At a recent local gov election there were only labour and tory candidates. I would like to see voting compulsory, then we could sort out the people who couldn't be bothered from the those who don't feel they can be represented by the parties. If think an election where at least 30% of ballots were spoiled when everyone in the country voted would be quite interesting. I think voting is compulsory in Australia. Not sure if it works down there.

1997 the tories took a right kicking across the country - except for the constituency I live in where they actually increased their majority. That killed any idea I may have had that my vote actually would count. It doesn't and neither does your vote count if you're not lucky enough to live in a marginal.

You may go home satisfied you've paid a part in the political process but the fact is when we wake up on the day after the election the majority of people eligible to vote will not have voted for the party that won and neither will there be a proportional distribution of power based on that vote.

true that's why its not worth voting in most areas ,and the fact is the party's are only worried about the marginals in the country.

you can have 63 % vote for the opposition but the ruling party can have a massive majority on a 37% vote.

how did we end up with this crap voting system.

The Tories have been in my area since after WW2, i'll still turn out and vote Labour though for the principle.

I see your location is Dublin - are they voting on a UK Government over there?

I'll go 'undecided' in our poll for now as they're all a bunch of b*llsh*tting, self-serving muppets - but if any party says they'll push for the re-introduction (or at least promise to look at) safe-standing at football matches they may at least attract my attention.

Oh, and while we're at it, beer allowed in seating areas, corrupt, tax-dodging, cheating football clubs dealt with appropriately, sensible ticket pricing and sort out them ******* pot-holes.

but if any party says they'll push for the re-introduction (or at least promise to look at) safe-standing at football matches they may at least attract my attention.

This is current Liberal Democrat policy. I believe the only party in favour of a return to safe-standing, but certainly the only one of the big parties.

They really should shout a bit louder about that.

They'd win a few football fans' votes, but probably get derided by the other two parties and their voters for focusing on something like that. They ought to be shouting a bit more about their University tuition policies imo, that's their USP for me.

I see your location is Dublin - are they voting on a UK Government over there?

I'll go 'undecided' in our poll for now as they're all a bunch of b*llsh*tting, self-serving muppets - but if any party says they'll push for the re-introduction (or at least promise to look at) safe-standing at football matches they may at least attract my attention.

Oh, and while we're at it, beer allowed in seating areas, corrupt, tax-dodging, cheating football clubs dealt with appropriately, sensible ticket pricing and sort out them ******* pot-holes.

No, it's a temporary location so i'm still down to vote in New Forest East. If the Irish got to vote we'd probably end up with the greens in power as is the case here, with petrol 10p more expensive a litre then diesel...

The way to do that is to deface your ballot paper :) Those who don't even bother to get up off of their fat lazy arses on May 6th have no excuses.

Ummm thanks, that's what I said I would do? In reality though spoiling/defacing my vote actually does nothing except give me a smug feeling that at least I can have a moan. I'm not "not voting" because of apathy. I'm not voting because of two reasons - firstly there won't be any party on offer in my constituency I consider worth voting for and secondly without a proportional representational vote voting tactically wouldn't be any help even if I wanted to.

You don't have to vote for the main 3 parties though Mike, on May 6th you will have a whole array of parties to vote for...

Last election I had four parties to vote for - the usual three plus UKIP. I didn't feel that any of them deserved endorsing. If I'm going to vote for a party (bearing in mind it will make no difference whatsoever) then I'm going to make sure it's one I agree with.

Christ we've got 11 moron BNP voters already, hope they were joking...

BTW - Apparently the Tories want to get rid of reserved TV sporting events like world cup football and FA cup final on BBC etc...screw that.

Cant vote Labour cos of the War, Greens is a wasted vote unless you live in Brighton

Lib Dems for me it is then (they say they will make the first £10,000 you earn tax free or something)

Lib Dems for me it is then (they say they will make the first £10,000 you earn tax free or something)

I genuinely dont have any real preference for specific parties, as i dont really feel that, as individuals, we actually really benefit in any way from any specific party.

This however i do like, dont know if its really financially viable, but an extra £700 or so in my pocket each year would help! If fact, if they win and get into power, i will promise to spend that extra money on travelling to more home and away games!

Oh, and the have pretty good policies on University fees.

I've ruled out Labour, I couldn't put up with another 4-5 years of them in charge - with a fatter version Mr Bean at the helm, you know the country is stuffed.

Not overly convinced by the Tories either with 'Double glazing Dave' as leader(for some reason Cameron reminds me of one of those dodgy salesmen).

The Tories are promising the earth but I expect them change their minds on what and how they do things and policies if they get into power.

To cut to the chase, I'm pretty undecided at the moment but will definitely vote- as I always do.

I've ruled out Labour, I couldn't put up with another 4-5 years of them in charge - with a fatter version Mr Bean at the helm, you know the country is stuffed.

Not overly convinced by the Tories either with 'Double glazing Dave' as leader(for some reason Cameron reminds me of one of those dodgy salesmen).

The Tories are promising the earth but I expect them change their minds on what and how they do things and policies if they get into power.

To cut to the chase, I'm pretty undecided at the moment but will definitely vote- as I always do.

That's what happens after every general election no matter who wins it.

Christ we've got 11 moron BNP voters already, hope they were joking...

BTW - Apparently the Tories want to get rid of reserved TV sporting events like world cup football and FA cup final on BBC etc...screw that.

Cant vote Labour cos of the War, Greens is a wasted vote unless you live in Brighton

No more a moron than you for voting Lib Dems, its a free and democratic society, people have a choice and if you don't like it then tough.

Should've done your homework first moron, this person doesn't vote BNP but has the intelligence to see that others have a choice and choose to vote for whom thay want.

You should read what I wrote in the OP

I didnt say people werent free to vote for them, only that they are "morons" - my opinion on their level of intelligence.

Your intelligence obviously isnt high enough to understand the basic principle that people who vote BNP are morons and very unintelligent (or psychopathic)...

which are you?

ps - Sorry admin if this is turning into slanging match but SW started it ;-p

I didnt say people werent free to vote for them, only that they are "morons" - my opinion on their level of intelligence.

Your intelligence obviously isnt high enough to understand the basic principle that people who vote BNP are morons and very unintelligent (or psychopathic)...

which are you?

Ridiculous statement backed up by what exactly? Some of the people who vote BNP are quite intelligent I'm sure. You vote for the parties whose policy's you most agree with.

which are you?

Okay boys. Who used the 'moron' word first?:smt018

Ridiculous statement backed up by what exactly? Some of the people who vote BNP are quite intelligent I'm sure. You vote for the parties whose policy's you most agree with.

Yeah mate Hitler was quite intelligent too - and you dont have an opinion about his policies??!

Well I do - like 99.9% of sane people I think he was a psychopathic moron.

I think we've found BNP voter moron no.2...

Edited by Jonnyboy
spelling / anger

Yeah mate Hitler was quite intelligent too - and you dont have an opinion about his policies??!

Well I do - like 99.9% of sane people I think he was a psychopathic moron.

I think we've found BNP voter moron no.2...

A vote for the bnp is a vote for racist xenophobes - not necessairly morons but deeply unpleasant people.

After removing the 'won't vote' and 'undecided' votes, I calculated that currently (12/04/10) the shares of the 'vote' from SWF are as follows:

Labour 23%

Conservative 32%

Lib Dem 32%

Others 13%

Using this little tool found on the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8609989.stm), this converted to the following number of seats:

Labour 212

Conservative 264

Lib Dem 145

Others 29

What this suggests to me is that the voting system (first past the post) in the UK is totally iniquitous. If the BBC tool is correct, Then having the joint highest number of votes would still leave the Lib Dems in a distant 3rd place!