just overheard a conversation....

SO16_Saint

Some of the ladies in 'lettings' have just been discussing a new property they have for let.

One lady said quite calmly 'she said she didnt want any foreigners moving in'

Someone else said 'what kind of foreigners, are poles ok'?

To which she replied 'yeah, they're ok'

Now, im no legal beagle, but if someone else was to have overheard this, there could have been bigger issues, surely??

:confused:

Some of the ladies in 'lettings' have just been discussing a new property they have for let.

Now, im no legal beagle, but if someone else was to have overheard this, there could have been bigger issues, surely??

:o yes, there could. You could blackmail the lady involved;)

It goes on, but it is a big no-no.

Why is it a big no-no?

Take a look at the local paper lettings section and it will be littered with 'no pets', 'no DSS' etc etc.

Now, I'm not equating foreigners with animals or the unemployed before the numpties like Wiltshire and Attic*nt chip in, but is it not the same thing that the person letting the property is able to pick and choose who they do and do not let their property to?

If they want to narrow down the market they can choose from that's their own problem isn't it?

Talking from my own personal experience - we let our house via an estate agent to some Ukrainians working at Bristol airport, and it cost us an absolute fortune to put the house right once we finally got rid of them - I would not want to have someone else renting the house unless I could guarantee they would look after it. We now have an old couple moved in for the long term who have re-decorated throughout and have spent time in the garden.

This is Britain today. A telephone conversation is overheard and somebody thinks it is lucky they were not reported. I suppose the lady they could have been arrested taken to the police station and interviewed on suspicion of discrimantion. Talk about Big Brother! Its her house she rent it to who she wants.

'Discrimination' like this has gone on for very many years, the age old 'joke' is what word beginning N and ending in R should you never call a black man.....Neighbour, ultimately it will be down to the owners who they want to rent their house unless the letting agent has autonomy, my own experience is that I had less trouble with a 'foreign' tenant than I did the English ones but no doubt everyone has a story.

Doubt a landlord would be sued for refusing a tenant as the reasons for refusal could be vast and would never have to disclose the fact that he/she/they are simply prejudice.

There was all that fuss the other day when some Tory MP said that owners of B&B's with strong christian beliefs should be able to turn away gay couples from entering (no pun intended) their homes. The MP was slated for his comments.

This week on TV programme '3 in a bed' where B&B owners compete against each other. There was one guy who ran a B&B in Bournemouth for male gay couples only. No problem with that of course.

It's like the MOBO music awards. If I suggested a MOWO awards (Music of WHITE origin) I'd be a racist.

I used to work in lettings and landords reserve the right to not open a contract to whoever they like..and they dont have to give a reason

there would be many reasons why they dont want foreigners...it is quite common..

many landlords also wont let to people on benefits...but that is ok, right..?

Good shout Glasgow, no one else has come upwith that.............oh

:lol:

To be fair, that's the sort of thing I always do, not reading the whole thread.

The B&B thing makes my blood boil. We're talking about peoples homes here, they should be able to turn away whoever they want. Hotels, well that's a different matter.

There was all that fuss the other day when some Tory MP said that owners of B&B's with strong christian beliefs should be able to turn away gay couples from entering (no pun intended) their homes. The MP was slated for his comments.

This week on TV programme '3 in a bed' where B&B owners compete against each other. There was one guy who ran a B&B in Bournemouth for male gay couples only. No problem with that of course.

It's like the MOBO music awards. If I suggested a MOWO awards (Music of WHITE origin) I'd be a racist.

Matey in todays paper, has lost his job. He was a councilor, and refused to council a gay couple over their sexual problems. It comes to something when this sh1t happens in trhis country. Everyone has rights, except 'Mr Average'.

Matey in todays paper, has lost his job. He was a councilor, and refused to council a gay couple over their sexual problems. It comes to something when this sh1t happens in trhis country. Everyone has rights, except 'Mr Average'.

to be honest, what good is he in councilling gays if he is straight..?

You can understand some people preferences...

No DSS = concerns over inability to pay rent

No pets = smell, hairs

No smokers = smell, discolouration of walls etc

But to say "no foreigners" has no logical explanation other than xenophobia.

No pets = smell, hairs

not really...when renting it is a risk...risk/reward in the rent you gain..

every person can do a runner...sure..

those who do NOT meet the requirements for credit checks (or if private cant provide references) then you would have to provide a gurantor..?

sorry, but getting someone to gurantee £500 a month for 6 month from bulgaria, or india or where ever is too much of a risk for many MANY property owners..

it is nothing more than that.....

I live in a block with 4 flats..the two above me have foreign taxi drivers in..BOTH of the owners had turned them down for the very reason I gave above...but the taxi company (taxi fast) they work for were than happy to be the gurantor for them

why is it OK to exclude those on benefits but not those who do not come from the UK

I would say those on benefits have more guaranteed regular income...but it is OK to tell them to do one..?

maybe the land lady in question once had "foreigners" leg it from their contract..?

maybe after that, she wants bog stadard people who she trusts..?

here in plymouth, there are PLENTY of landlords that WONT rent to service personnel.. is that wrong..?

Edited by Thedelldays

Race Relations Act 1976 (Amendment) Regulations 2003 (SI2003/1626)

These regulations, which are made under section 2(2)(a) and (b) of the European Communities Act 1972 and come into force on 19 July 2003, implement (in Great Britain) Council Directive 2000/43 EC of 29 June 2000 ("the directive") and include provision for matters arising out of or relating to such implementation. The directive is concerned with the principle of equal treatment between persons, irrespective of racial or ethnic origin, in the areas of employment (and related matters), social protection, social advantage, education and access to and supply of, goods and services which are available to the public, including housing.

Now, I'm not equating foreigners with animals or the unemployed before the numpties like Wiltshire and Attic*nt chip in, but is it not the same thing that the person letting the property is able to pick and choose who they do and do not let their property to?

If they want to narrow down the market they can choose from that's their own problem isn't it?

You forgot to say "I'm not racist, but..." and "some of my best friends are black". You know, the normal kind of hackneyed guff that prejudiced morons trap out in the weakest of weak ways to 'justify' their outmoded, small minded drivel.

not really...when renting it is a risk...risk/reward in the rent you gain..

every person can do a runner...sure..

those who do NOT meet the requirements for credit checks (or if private cant provide references) then you would have to provide a gurantor..?

sorry, but getting someone to gurantee £500 a month for 6 month from bulgaria, or india or where ever is too much of a risk for many MANY property owners..

it is nothing more than that.....

I live in a block with 4 flats..the two above me have foreign taxi drivers in..BOTH of the owners had turned them down for the very reason I gave above...but the taxi company (taxi fast) they work for were than happy to be the gurantor for them

why is it OK to exclude those on benefits but not those who do not come from the UK

I would say those on benefits have more guaranteed regular income...but it is OK to tell them to do one..?

maybe the land lady in question once had "foreigners" leg it from their contract..?

maybe after that, she wants bog stadard people who she trusts..?

here in plymouth, there are PLENTY of landlords that WONT rent to service personnel.. is that wrong..?

Why does one have to say "no foreigners" when one can just say "only those who can guarantee the rent". The second bit of highlighted in bold captures it in a nutshell, if that really is someone's thought process then they are undoubtedly prejudiced. I'm sure there a plenty of white locals who jump rent just as there are plenty of foreigners who don't.

To be honest I find these "is this racist?" "no its not racist what about this" arguments very boring. The main reason why there is no "Music of White Origin" awards is because no one wants one.

I expect you're far from average in many ways. And how, exactly, do you not have rights? That's an entirely absurd statement.

You forgot to say "I'm not racist, but..." and "some of my best friends are black". You know, the normal kind of hackneyed guff that prejudiced morons trap out in the weakest of weak ways to 'justify' their outmoded, small minded drivel.

Hello Gordon, welcome to the forum, shouldn't you be campaigning.

He shouldn't have been such a f*cking bigot then. Put your own prejudices behind you and get on with your job ffs.

(Not you obviously, the bloke in the paper)

You do realise that is music of Black origin and that white people can win one right?

I once heard of a landlord who didn't rent (after a particularly gruesome experience) to IT contractors from the Indian sub-continent. Basically young guys away from home (with all that implies) plus back home they all had maids and other servants and the attitudes that go with it. Perhaps the test would be: "do you have servants at home?"!

My next door neighbour has a 2nd property in Cambridge

He asked the lettings agents if it was OK to refuse any Asians - they said yes that's fine, but they wouldn't be allowed to advertise it

That reminds me of that Australian TV clip where the interviewee is saying 'no asians'. When asked why he says 'because I can't stand them'. It turned out that he was saying 'no agents'.

No pets = smell, hairs

Having visited an Indian associate that I used to worked with house, that he rented, due to the use of spices in the preparation of their food the house did smell of curry and the smell was quite strong. And the smell does stay, and other people may not want to subsequently rent the property. So this may be a reason that the owner does not want to rent foriegners.

Edited by mcjwills

Having visited an Indian associate that I used to worked with house, that he rented, due to the use of spices in the preparation of their food the house did smell of curry and the smell was quite strong. And the smell does stay, and other people may not want to subsequently rent the property. So this may be a reason that the owner does not want to rent foriegners.

No one is asking them to rent the foreigners - just houses to them

Edited by Golactico

That reminds me of that Australian TV clip where the interviewee is saying 'no asians'. When asked why he says 'because I can't stand them'. It turned out that he was saying 'no agents'.

lmao, that was funny as all hell, the look on the pin-sharp "investigative" journalists face when he twigged, priceless

Report the Nazi bint.