What if we signed Lee Hughes?

Suhari

How would you feel if we signed Lee Hughes? (Note - I am talking purely theoretically here - I have no evidence to suggest we might).

31 goals in 43 for Notts County. Big, strong target man type. Could be a decent shout as cover for Rickie next season.

But.....the baggage. The type of guy you would want in a Saints shirt?

I wouldn't want him - But he is the type of player we need if we lost Lambo for any amount of time. His name did cross my mind yesterday, actually after I heard Pards talking about needing a similar type of player to Rickie.

What about Alan Lee at Palace? Or Kevin Kyle?

Notts County have just been promoted. They will be playing in the same league as us next season. Why would he be looking for a move and why would we want him?

Another pointless thread.

Its not actually. Their Chairman was on SSN the other day saying despite promotion they would have to sell to balance the books.

Having said that without the baggage yeah, be good back up for Rickie.....but with his history no thanks.

I don't see why some people are so anti Hughes, but are happy to support other criminal types in football. For example, there was a thread on this board the other day about some Saints "fans" who were in trouble with the police for their hooligan ways. People were defending them, some even going as far as to suggest they had been set up! I would liken their behaviour with Lee Hughes behaviour. They are the same.....so why is one vilified whilst the others are adorned and glorified. Criminals are criminals.

No.

No. We have to have standards

Agree,and from what has been said earlier in the season I doubt this is the sort of player Marcus would want associated with the club.

Him and Marlon King upfront would be brilliant.

And don't forget Lee McCormack as back up for Kelvin.

Someone in the Lanbert mode would be the Luton striker where we can bring him on.

Hughes is a Barnard type player so there is no need.

Have to admit i thought of him more as a poacher type than a target man.

Wouldn't have him here, not that as it matters, clearly won't happen.

Never. On the basis that I hate his goal celebration so much, seeing him do it in a Saints shirt would make me want to vomit.

Same goes for Rob Earnshaw, funnily enough

If i just look at Rob Earnshaw, i want to puke. You would think he would have made enough money to sort out those teeth!!

No.

I'm just glad we don't have a player like him or Joey Barton in our team, would be almost impossible to cheer c**ts like that

You can hardly compare the two. Barton is a thug who has repeatedly bullied people, including his own team mates. Lee Hughes made a huge mistake, yes he was a ***** and i am sure he would do anything to turn the clock back but he has paid for his offence and should be allowed to rebuild his life, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.......

You can hardly compare the two. Barton is a thug who has repeatedly bullied people, including his own team mates. Lee Hughes made a huge mistake, yes he was a ***** and i am sure he would do anything to turn the clock back but he has paid for his offence and should be allowed to rebuild his life, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.......

I'm in agreement with Turkish.

Thing is, I am not condoning what Lee Hughes has done in the past but why do we have so much rhetoric on here? Like Turkish said, he's been more than remorseful about what happened in the past and has, by all accounts apart from the victims family, paid for his crimes. (I think we all know the sentence was way too 'light' though...)

Personally, I would be uncomfortable to have Lee Hughes playing for us, but I certainly don't consider him 'murderering scum'. Anyway, we'd be taking a step back with such a divisive figure at the club, big time.

If we don't have a ready made Lambert replacement (akin Jon Parkin, Alan Lee etc) then maybe we should look towards a plan B. Possibly Stocky again to knit things together in the middle?

(Bring on the Stocky threads!)

Edited by Crab Lungs

Fair comment. It is one thing to go out with the aim to delibrately hurt someone over having too few many drinks and then getting behind the wheel?

To be known i am not suggesting for one minuite that that excuses Lee for what he has done. I am sure that if anyone i knew got killed from a driver over the limit I would think differently. But (touch wood) I haven't so i can look at this type of situation without predjustice.

Fair comment. It is one thing to go out with the aim to delibrately hurt someone over having too few many drinks and then getting behind the wheel?

To be known i am not suggesting for one minuite that that excuses Lee for what he has done. I am sure that if anyone i knew got killed from a driver over the limit I would think differently. But (touch wood) I haven't so i can look at this type of situation without predjustice.

With you totally on that one, it doesn't excuse him because he did kill someone through his own stupidity, ignorance, arrogance, whatever it was, its not like he couldn't afford a taxi is it! But obviously having paid the consequences and done the time a man still has to make a living.

Should get Jordan Robertson back as well.

How about the ex Plymouth goalkeeper too? Now there is an idea, a criminals XI

GK - Luke Mccormick

DEF

DEF Jonathan Woodgate

DEF John Terry

DEF

MID- David Roche- Southend player got banged up for dealing

MID- Joey Barton

MID Lee Bowyer

ST - Partick Kluivert (innocent apparantly,hmmmmm)

ST - Lee Hughes

ST Marlon King

Subs

jamie Lawrence

Marlon King

Anyone think of any more? Two short for a 4-3-3 formation, not a bad team though! :lol:

Edited by Turkish

The only reason you could want Lee Hughes is to score goals. But after watching his goal celebrations, you would soon run deep into the inner confines of the stands to avoid witnessing such a cringing event. There is just not enough beer down there to wipe such an embarrassment from the mind, he makes "The Office" look inspirational. Just the fact he is visiting St Mary's once next season is bad enough to contemplate, let alone any further.

GK - Luke Mccormick

DEF

DEF Jonathan Woodgate

DEF John Terry

DEF

MID- Joey Barton

MID Lee Bowyer

ST - Partick Kluivert (innocent apparantly,mmmmm)

ST - Lee Hughes

ST Marlon King

Subs

jamie Lawrence

Marlon King

Anyone think of any more? Two short for a 4-3-3 formation, not a bad team though! :lol:

Steven Gerrard

Nathan Dyer

BWP

Ribery

Sidney Govou

GK - Luke Mccormick

DEF

DEF Jonathan Woodgate

DEF John Terry

DEF

MID- Joey Barton

MID Lee Bowyer

ST - Lee Hughes

ST Marlon King

Subs

jamie Lawrence

Marlon King

You could add Claus and Crop Circles as well, even Beattie for that matter. Don't forget BWP as well.

Hughes is not AP's type of player, AP looks for players comfortable on the ball. Nothing wrong with Hughes, just not the right style for Saints current squad.

How would you feel if we signed Lee Hughes? (Note - I am talking purely theoretically here - I have no evidence to suggest we might).

31 goals in 43 for Notts County. Big, strong target man type. Could be a decent shout as cover for Rickie next season.

But.....the baggage. The type of guy you would want in a Saints shirt?

He's hardly a big strong target man type, he's about 5 foot 6. This thread is going to end up with the hard "lads" saying how much they would like Marlon King and Hughes in our team, it makes them look hard saying they want a woman beating c*nt in our team.

wow..good to see people are prepared to give people another chance in life...

unless they are a footballer of course

Marlon King had had about 50 chances he's a c*nt of the highest, Lee hughes made a big mistake and he does deserve another chance but he's not a big target man.

No. Some think it's all about results, but your club has to mean something and have some standards. We moaned about lowe ruining the family club tag, so signing people like that can't be a good idea. I know a lot of players are dicks, but you have to draw the line somewhere. King, Hughes, Barton...all could do a job, but I'd find it impossible to support them.

standards....would you expect to be turned down a job if you did what he did and served your sentance..?

GK - Luke Mccormick

DEF

DEF Jonathan Woodgate

DEF John Terry

DEF

MID- Joey Barton

MID Lee Bowyer

ST - Lee Hughes

ST Marlon King

Subs

jamie Lawrence

Marlon King

Tony Adams & That Skate bastard Mickey Quinn both did time for drink driving. Then there's former Saint loanee Jordan Robertson.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

I'm in agreement with Turkish.

Thing is, I am not condoning what Lee Hughes has done in the past but why do we have so much rhetoric on here? Like Turkish said, he's been more than remorseful about what happened in the past and has, by all accounts apart from the victims family, paid for his crimes. (I think we all know the sentence was way too 'light' though...)

Personally, I would be uncomfortable to have Lee Hughes playing for us, but I certainly don't consider him 'murderering scum'. Anyway, we'd be taking a step back with such a divisive figure at the club, big time.

If we don't have a ready made Lambert replacement (akin Jon Parkin, Alan Lee etc) then maybe we should look towards a plan B. Possibly Stocky again to knit things together in the middle?

(Bring on the Stocky threads!)

no, i dont think he'd be any good as a striker, good second album but he should really stick to singing.

GK - Luke Mccormick

DEF

DEF Jonathan Woodgate

DEF John Terry

DEF

MID- Joey Barton

MID Lee Bowyer

ST - Lee Hughes

ST Marlon King

Subs

jamie Lawrence

Marlon King

Glen Johnson RB

Could add Nathan Dyer to the criminal's team. And some of his crimes were on the pitch.

By the way, if we're having pointless threads about players who we aren't going to sign wont that make for a rather boring summer. Emile Heskey - didn't start for Villa yesterday - not saying we could sign him, but HCDAJFU......

GK - Luke Mccormick

DEF

DEF Jonathan Woodgate

DEF John Terry

DEF

MID- Joey Barton

MID Lee Bowyer

ST - Lee Hughes

ST Marlon King

Subs

jamie Lawrence

Marlon King

The left winger we had on loan from Sheff Utd scored a cracker against Norwich, think his name was Henderson? Got done on the M1 for D&D or was it something more serious