Design a new SaintsWeb Banner

stevegrant

As some of you may be aware, I've been working on a major upgrade to the whole SaintsWeb site for most of the last year or so. In conjunction with a new major version of vBulletin, the software we use to power the forum, the new site is not far from going live - probably a week or two away.

To go alongside this, we want a new site logo/banner. This will not be a forum-specific one, as the new version of vBulletin allows us to integrate the forum with all the other areas of the site (the existing Prediction League and Podcast features in addition to new user blogs, a comprehensive stats database and a revamped news section).

I'm therefore throwing it open to anyone on the forum to design a new site banner.

The specifications are as follows:

• The image must be no more than 400px wide by 100px tall
  • The image should feature SaintsWeb prominently
  • The image may optionally feature the strapline The number one independent Southampton FC website
  • The image should feature some part of or all of the Saints crest (preferably the "normal" one, rather than the 125-year special, but that's up to you)
  • The background of the image should be transparent where possible, in order to enable the banner to blend in with the header block background (see the sneak preview below for an illustration of this) - as a result, submitted images should be in either GIF or (preferably) PNG format.

There is a (rather nice, if I do say so myself!) prize for the entry that we choose to use (although we may request slight alterations), and in exchange for that prize, you agree that the image becomes intellectual property of SaintsWeb Ltd.

headerscreenshot.png

An initial deadline for entries is midnight on Friday 4th June, and entries should be sent to me at banner@saintsweb.co.uk

Any questions?

Can I think of an idea, get my mate who's good at graphic design but not into football to make it, then submit it as my own?!

Obviously with his permission that it becomes the property of Saintsweb etc..

Yep, no problem.

The prize is a signed shirt, by the way.

So this needs to be more of a logo than a banner per se... for the top left corner, and on top of a graduated red background? Or will that change? I know it'll be transparent but it still helps to know where it'll be and on what.

So this needs to be more of a logo than a banner per se... for the top left corner, and on top of a graduated red background? Or will that change? I know it'll be transparent but it still helps to know where it'll be and on what.

That graduated red background won't change. It can be either "just" a logo or a full banner (with bits of the crest, player images/watermarks, stadium images, etc) - open to ideas really :)

That graduated red background won't change. It can be either "just" a logo or a full banner (with bits of the crest, player images/watermarks, stadium images, etc) - open to ideas really :)

I'm a bit confused now (it's easily done). Steve, if its not too much trouble, is there any chance of mocking up the example banner you posted to show where the logo/banner might go. Apologies if it sounds a bit of retarded request, I'm just a bit unsure of what it is you're looking for, I assumed it was just a logo similar to the Saints Web main site one now.

I'm a bit confused now (it's easily done). Steve, if its not too much trouble, is there any chance of mocking up the example banner you posted to show where the logo/banner might go. Apologies if it sounds a bit of retarded request, I'm just a bit unsure of what it is you're looking for, I assumed it was just a logo similar to the Saints Web main site one now.

I think the image in the original post is supposed to show where it would be - in the top left corner where VBulletin is.

I think the image in the original post is supposed to show where it would be - in the top left corner where VBulletin is.

Correct.

The vBulletin logo will be gone, that's just the default logo for the forum software.

There's enough space to extend the image to 400px wide, and I can move the menu down a bit so the image can be about 100px high without it looking like it's taking too much space.

Correct.

The vBulletin logo will be gone, that's just the default logo for the forum software.

There's enough space to extend the image to 400px wide, and I can move the menu down a bit so the image can be about 100px high without it looking like it's taking too much space.

Many thanks. That changes matters then...

OK, fair enough. I was just thinking you might want to take the 'logo' and use it on other things/in other places, whereas a banner is obviously just used in situ. I'll see what I can come up with that perhaps incorporates a standalone logo as part of the banner.

BTW, funds are clearly running out if you're having to resort to the old 'get the fans to design it, then we don't have to pay a professional' trick. ;)

BTW, funds are clearly running out if you're having to resort to the old 'get the fans to design it, then we don't have to pay a professional' trick. ;)

It's called "minimising expenditure by encouraging membership participation" ;)

Would happily pay a professional to do it, but I know that there will be some excellent contributions from forum members :)

It's called "minimising expenditure by encouraging membership participation" ;)

Would happily pay a professional to do it, but I know that there will be some excellent contributions from forum members :)

Many of those forum members BEING professionals at that kind of thing! :D

I would do exactly the same thing to be fair...