First summer signing...?

SO16_Saint

Speaking tonight to someone and he tells me our first signing will happen on Thursday.

The plan is he will be wearing the new away shirt.

I said it will be Calderon then and he replies Yep!

Pinch of salt guys as he has been wrong before.

:smt105

As far as I was aware, Calderon's contract at Brighton doesn't expire until the end of June.

If his contract expires then, does that no mean that he is allowedd to talk and sign pre contracts from January. Or have i just made that up??

As far as I was aware, Calderon's contract at Brighton doesn't expire until the end of June.

Beckford was contracted till end of June with Leeds but they were happy to release him early when it was clear he wouldn't be coming back. No reason why a similar thing couldn't be arranged here.

same was for Beckford but Leeds released him - no point paying player for his summer holidays if he is going elsewhere

Beckford was contracted till end of June with Leeds but they were happy to release him early when it was clear he wouldn't be coming back. No reason why a similar thing couldn't be arranged here.

doh!

Didnt Beckford sign pre-contract for Everton a few months back?

No, he agreed to cancel his current contract, thus leaving early to join Everton. Saves the club wasting a few grand on pointless wages. Beckford still remains an absolute tw*t in my books. Modern day bad attitude of a certain element of footballers like Dave Mc G, Leon Best, etc. Think they're better than they are & bigger than their club.

Had a look on North Stand Chat and they seem to think Calderon has left. Also found this slightly amusing exchange.

I'd like to see a little section that says 'contract expires....' It would make it easier for fans

That'd make it too easy for Alan Pardew to pick his transfer targets

Good point, although he seems to have had Gus' office bugged or something as he goes after players that Gus likes.

Had a look on North Stand Chat and they seem to think Calderon has left. Also found this slightly amusing exchange.

I'd like to see a little section that says 'contract expires....' It would make it easier for fans

That'd make it too easy for Alan Pardew to pick his transfer targets

Good point, although he seems to have had Gus' office bugged or something as he goes after players that Gus likes.

I imagine, if there is to be a signing tomorrow, it would be Calderon. If he wasn't coming to SMS, I'm sure news of a move elsewhere would've leaked out by now, as it's been a few weeks since we were first linked.

On the Brighton front, I think it's an innovative approach by AP. Save on the cost of scouts by stealing other managers' targets. Genius.

I imagine, if there is to be a signing tomorrow, it would be Calderon. If he wasn't coming to SMS, I'm sure news of a move elsewhere would've leaked out by now, as it's been a few weeks since we were first linked.

On the Brighton front, I think it's an innovative approach by AP. Save on the cost of scouts by stealing other managers' targets. Genius.

Worked well for Chelsea!!

I'll be pretty pleased if Calderon is the first signing of the summer. He looks a decent prospect and that'd more or less be our starting back four sorted.

Assuming Calderon is coming this looks pretty good.

Calderon - Fonte - Jaidi - Harding

Replacements

Mills

Seabourne

Martin

I'd like to add one more to that list by the start of the new season. Preferably someone who can play centre and right back.

Replacements

Mills

Seabourne

Martin

I'd like to add one more to that list by the start of the new season. Preferably someone who can play centre and right back.

Danny Butterfield? :smt038

I'll be pretty pleased if Calderon is the first signing of the summer. He looks a decent prospect and that'd more or less be our starting back four sorted.

I was rather hoping we'd see the new kit unveiled at the same time we sign Skacel.

Replacements

Mills

Seabourne

Martin

do you not think it will be one season too far for Jaidi?

I think we need a replacement now.. Pat McCarthy, Fonte's former center back partner is available from Palace

do you not think it will be one season too far for Jaidi?

I think we need a replacement now.. Pat McCarthy, Fonte's former center back partner is available from Palace

Why? Jaidi showed no signs that last season was his final season. I do think we will see more of Seaborne and Martin this coming season but Jaidi is still a quality player.

Why? Jaidi showed no signs that last season was his final season. I do think we will see more of Seaborne and Martin this coming season but Jaidi is still a quality player.

Definitely with Turkish on this one. Jaidi last year showed no evidence that it could be his last, he had a great first season for us.

Major plus one re Jaidi.

Bloke was excellent last year. His experience will be vital next season

The situation when someone agrees to sign which Calderon has done so is that the club has two choices.

(1) Saints pay off his last month contract to Brighton and then they can reveal him anytime now.

(2) Saints have got his signature which is true I've been told and that they can reveal after July 1st he is a Saints player as they have taken his word he will sign for us so they have not paid off his last month.

The problem with this is Calderon can still sign for someone else if a better offer comes forward to the player.

Edited by Pilchards

at least it would resolve one problem, but we need a second RB, too.

The other defensive spots all have cover...Mills, Martin and Seabourne but having got rid of three RB's from last season we need at least ONE more RB to cover possible injuries during the season. (remember Murty) was a good choice in the beginning but one bad injury put him out for the season, and we had no natural replacement.

IMHO...if AP doesn't sign anyone else at this position, it means he's going to look at Murty again - after pre-season (yes I know he's been released, but AP is allowing him to train / rehab. with us during the summer and will .." talk again " AP's words" .

EITHER THAT ..or he'll bring in a young defender from the Acacemy..but don't think we have anyone suitable ..do we ?

Just out of interest, how do people still know he's contracted to Brighton? He was on loan there, and we don't know the terms of the loan. Alaves know he isn't staying with them, so I think the ball is in their court with releasing him.

Oh, and it also means we could/can sign him on a pre-contract, and you don't pay them wages during that time.

Just out of interest, how do people still know he's contracted to Brighton? He was on loan there, and we don't know the terms of the loan. Alaves know he isn't staying with them, so I think the ball is in their court with releasing him.

Oh, and it also means we could/can sign him on a pre-contract, and you don't pay them wages during that time.

I thought he joined Brighton on a free, rather than on loan, as he was released by Alaves?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/8447071.stm

He is/was Brighton's, until July 01 according to the Beeb!

Chelsea connection still there re youth/reserves...Something out of the training games attended..Hopefully.

Signings soon to help us poor old forum members if not the ticket/shirt sales.

COYRs

Joe Cole it is then, Harry did say he'd agreed a contract with another club ;)

Did I miss something...

Jack Smith ex Watford and Swindon...Dropped by Milwall or not allowed to play

in play off final?

RB or Centre back..brother of Tommy Smith at Pompey.......

Saints interest or not up to our high standards..

He was supposedly injured for the playoff final

Poyet was pretty clear Calderon was not going to be offered a new contract by Brighton, as he said he would like to consider his options. If he wants to pay Calderon until 30 June, and we pick up the tab from 1 July, fine by us. But I can't see why we can't be talking to the player now the decision has been taken by his manager.

If Calderon is THAT good, why are Brighton NOT offering him a new contract ???

(Doesn't mean he has to accept):cool:

If Calderon is THAT good, why are Brighton NOT offering him a new contract ???

(Doesn't mean he has to accept):cool:

They did offer him one but withdrew it when he didn't accept by their deadline because he wanted to speak to us.