Different Ownership and Managment, same old summer

alpine_saint

I'm not going to join in with the teeny boppers in slating Alpine because he makes a good point, albeit a little too premature.

In the past we have always signed players at the last minute for the simple reason that they don't need paying during the close season that way. It will be interesting to see if this traditional SFC policy changes.

There is no evidence of that under the new regime though. There have been some rumours already it is just that the sources that were once very widespread are now closed somewhat which suggests the current management concntrate on control rather than leaking their business.

So basically you are agreeing with me, but couldnt resist the chance for a dig ?

Riiight :rolleyes:

I'm not agreeing with you.

I'm saying I don't rate Seaborne based on the games I have seen him play.

I'm wondering what your reasoning for not rating him is?

If we have different reasoning then we aren't agreeing even if the end opinion is the same, as I think you have come to the conclusion Seaborne isn't good in a VERY different way to how I have.

Edited by Matthew Le God

We need back-up for Schnedierlin whether he goes or stays. My comment was based on him staying, so that blows sneer 1 of yours out of the water. He gets injured and has a small disciplinary issue.

Yes, we have Barnard, and if Rickie gets injured that's about it because Connolly cannot be depended upon. I think (and I its my opinion that I am entitled to) we need another forward.

I dont rate Seaborne or consider him first-choice. I would like to see another CB, again my right to think so.

I dont consider myself ill-informed, and I still think my concerns about Lallana and Schneiderlin were valid. Certainly, I reviewed my opinion at the end of the season (unlike some of you, I am capable of this) and definitely think Schneiderlin should stay, Lallana leaving would still not destroy me.

But Lallana scored 20 goals from midfield last year .....

Ah, attendance snobbery. Rightyho. :rolleyes:

It isn't snobbery.

You made a judgement on a player and I'm not sure if you have seen him play much (if at all).

I have also made a judgement based on seeing him in the flesh numerous times. My judgement may be right or wrong but at least I can point to personal experience.

I'll ask again, what is your opinion of Seaborne based on?

Edited by Matthew Le God

never before in history of saintsweb has a thread failed so miserably!

comedy value!

110 posts and not one agreeing with OP!

I dont start threads to get loads of emotional support and pats on the back, like you do. I can live with no-one agreeing with me, I am just disturbed at the level of complaicency for next season....

Being the fan of a team that frequently leaves its pre-season preparation too late - last season of which being the extreme example of this - and knowing what our goals are for this season, I expected an early sign of intent and am disappointed this has not occured.

So hard to understand ?

Edited by alpine_saint

I dont start threads to get loads of emotional support and pats on the back, like you do. I can live with no-one agreeing with me, I am just disturbed at the level of complaicency for next season....

Being the fan of a team that frequently leaves its pre-season preparation too late - last season of which being the extreme example of this - and knowing what our goals are for this season, I expected an early sign of intent and am disappointed this has not occured.

So hard to understand ?

We didn't sign player early last season, however since then we signed, and still have:

Lambert

Connolly

Barnard

Harding

Hammond

Puncheon

Jaidi

Fonte

Seaborne

We are not looking/don't need to rebuild a side.

You are wrong we haven't left it too late

We didn't sign player early last season, however since then we signed, and still have:

Lambert

Connolly

Barnard

Harding

Hammond

Puncheon

Jaidi

Fonte

Seaborne

We are not looking/don't need to rebuild a side.

You are wrong we haven't left it too late

So you dont think the chances of a good early season are not enhanced by getting the missing players in early and giving them a full pre-season to do that f**king "G"-word ?

Nothing but rumours, no solid transfer activity, gaps in the team to fill as usual (this case RB and CM).

Pre-season around the corner, and "gelling" until October ensuring no automatic promotion.

We need to start this season on our feet and already running, and the same old b*ll*cks is occuring.

Unbelievable!

So you dont think the chances of a good early season are not enhanced by getting the missing players in early and giving them a full pre-season to do that f**king "G"-word ?

Pre-season training starts in late June.

I'm pretty sure today is the 7th June. Pardew, coaches and playing staff are all on holiday atm.

How can these new signings you want be gelling with the other players if there is no training for 3 weeks?

Saints could be signing players in two weeks time and they'd still get a full pre season. You really do talk crap at times. ;)

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'm sorry Alps but the pre-season doesn't even begin for another three weeks or so. The people we bought in Januray proved to be pretty handy when coming straight into the team so I dont think a full pre season is even necessary. You may have a very slight point in three weeks but you are pointless now.

How would alpine know what positions we are deficient in? He doesn't go to games. You might as well ask a blind man to judge a beauty contest.

Not as daft as it sounds....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2006/08/08/pageant-blind-judge.html

Blind man to judge Miss Manitoba pageant

Eight young women will compete for a Miss Manitoba crown this week, but they won't be judged on how good they look strutting down a catwalk in a bathing suit or gown.

To make that point clear, organizers have recruited a blind man to judge the pageant on Thursday evening in Winkler, Man.

Clint Castle, a Winnipeg resident who is on the board of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, told CBC News on Tuesday that he plans to examine traits other than beauty.

Castle said he will judge "the other qualities that are important in any human being, and certainly in these young women — character, intellect, poise, public speaking, creative expression — all of those kinds of things that will really sustain these young women as they move through life.

"Appearance, by itself, does not seem nearly adequate to succeed over the next 40, 50 or 60 years."

Yep, and I received the same abuse all summer long before we started the 2006/2007 season with no CBs.

Difference is we currently have a squad that is the best in the division. We do not need new players to START the preseason or even the season as things stand (Harding can play RB if necessary with Mills LB). I'm not belittling the situation of course we need a proper RB or 2 and CM and we also need another lead striker (backup to Rickie) but to compare this situation with the shambles that was George Burley is frankly a complete and utter joke and you really should take a long hard look at yourself and consider why you want to continue making yourself look so silly.

Nobody answering any of the points I have made, just resorting to abuse, it seems..

Oh, they do, but you are in a little world of your own. I don't knowingly abuse anyone here apart from StuRS, and that's for obvious reasons, but you really take the biscuit. You are consistently a half empty type of person, even when there is a brimming pint in front of you.

Your post was so ill-considered that for a -very - brief moment I thought you were parodying yourself.

Anyway, our last "warm-down" training session was Friday, the end of season junior tournament yesterday was a success and I'm looking forward to holidays and the World Cup. I suggest that you do likewise.

Anyway, our last "warm-down" training session was Friday, the end of season junior tournament yesterday was a success and I'm looking forward to holidays and the World Cup. I suggest that you do likewise.

Oh, my goodness! Another one of the self-content uber complacent. This sort of attitude, that next season's signings shouldn't be signed this season, is the reason why England haven't won the World Cup since '66 and explains why Saints always, and I mean always, prepare terribly for the next season.

Personally, I think Alpine has been rather conservative in his well-judged and eminently justifiable criticism. If anything we should be making our 2011-2012 signings now. Why wait until after the 2010-2011 season? Are you happy just writing off another season without having all the players we are going to sign during the following season? Well, if you are, let me tell you this; it is the path to ruin.

And another thing, I bet we sign some players that are so rubbish any idiot will be able to tell they are rubbish without even watching them. That's another thing we always, and I mean always, get wrong.

Nobody answering any of the points I have made, just resorting to abuse, it seems..

Tbf, the first two pages are people replying to your point and ridiculing it and you because of how ridiculous it is. Then you picking and choosing who to reply to and not actually answering many of the points made by the replies, instead resorting to internet "crying" and claiming your being abused unfairly.

I don't know who the biggest mugs are in this thread though. You for making another horrific point or the people who have replied.

3 pages for someone who doesn't even attend matches ffs. Haha. Genius.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

I was very impressed with the group of players that Pardew brought into the club last season. So I am confident that Pardew and his team are working hard behind the scenes finding new players for the upcoming campaign.

Strange as it may seem to some, they are operating on their own timetable. It always amazes me when fans adopt the solipsistic attitude that if the Club is not satisfying their impatient demands, then everything is ****ed.

Relax. Take time off. Enjoy the World Cup. Get outside. Go on holiday.

There'll be lots of time to moan later - if moaning is your thing.

Alps, you really need to chill out and stop being over-dramatic! Couple of simple questions:

1) How do you know that Saints haven't tied up some players on pre-contracts to then sign them in the first week of July? Such as Calderon and Dickson?

2) How do you know Saints aren't already actively finding very good replacements that have not even been mentioned in the media?

In my opinion, there is no point making random criticisms of the club without any basis on facts!!

Or:

Different Ownership and Management (doing a great job turning the fortunes of the Club around and building a fine team) - but same old summer, regardless, of premature and presumptuous moaning.

Alpine, some questions for you:

1) Are you confident that the Club is in good hands?

2) Do you think that they're working behind the scenes to bring in new players?

3) Do you think that they should be working on their timetable, or yours?

4) Is patience a virtue? [ ;) ]

Tbf, the first two pages are people replying to your point and ridiculing it and you because of how ridiculous it is. Then you picking and choosing who to reply to and not actually answering many of the points made by the replies, instead resorting to internet "crying" and claiming your being abused unfairly.

I don't know who the biggest mugs are in this thread though. You for making another horrific point or the people who have replied.

3 pages for someone who doesn't even attend matches ffs. Haha. Genius.

Do you really expect me to find the time to respond to every sneering point from every one of you ?

Do get a life.

Or:

Different Ownership and Management (doing a great job turning the fortunes of the Club around and building a fine team) - but same old summer, regardless, of premature and presumptuous moaning.

Alpine, some questions for you:

1) Are you confident that the Club is in good hands?

2) Do you think that they're working behind the scenes to bring in new players?

3) Do you think that they should be working on their timetable, or yours?

4) Is patience a virtue? [ ;) ]

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) I genuinely think that ASAP is the best bet, and my timetable is faster than theirs. At the risk therefore, of sounding arrogant, the answer is mine, but not because its mine, but because its quicker.

4) I am sure it is, and I am sure that when I am accused of lacking patience it is a fair criticism, but I am also sure I am not the only person around these parts lacking virtue in some aspect of their persona.

Everybodies biggest beef with you Alpine is that you ASSUME things are going to go wrong. You don't discuss how next season will look if we sign 4-5 quality players and have a fully fit squad for the start of the season - instead you ASSUME they are sitting around on their arses, grinning at each other and flicking bogeys around. Why don't you just, for once, ASSUME that things are going to go right?

Everybodies biggest beef with you Alpine is that you ASSUME things are going to go wrong. You don't discuss how next season will look if we sign 4-5 quality players and have a fully fit squad for the start of the season - instead you ASSUME they are sitting around on their arses, grinning at each other and flicking bogeys around. Why don't you just, for once, ASSUME that things are going to go right?

If we get the players we need in, into the club in a timely manner that means we are in the groove ready for the first game, I fully expect us to tw*t seven bales of sh*t out of every team we play at SMS.

What we achieve on the road, especially mid-week in mid-winter on the dogs of pitches that seem to represent the norm in this division, is anyones guess, including Pardew's, I'll venture...

3) I genuinely think that ASAP is the best bet, and my timetable is faster than theirs. At the risk therefore, of sounding arrogant, the answer is mine, but not because its mine, but because its quicker.

Approaches and contract negotiations should be conducted in strict secrecy. The last thing I want is for a fans forum to know every embryonic detail of possible signings. I agree that ideally we need a settled side in place for a good pre-season - and there are three weeks left for that to happen.

This fred is funneh.

I fink that our management is very bad cos we don't have players in training it is lazy and complacent they should be there every day twice a day.

But I fink we have better than Liverpool cos they don't even have a manager so they must be much more worsa than wot we are.

Meanwhile, a prime reason that nobody is signing for us is that all the non WC players and agents are all on their holdiays and causing queues on the Golf courses and Beauty Salons down here. The upside is that there are loads of Wags around the shopping malls. I'll pass by one tomorrow and do some research for you and find out why they haven't rung NC back

There is not a chance we will start pre-season training without at least one recognised right back being brought in, so I've got no worries about the lack of goings on at SMS yet. Patience is a virtue, It's pleasant to have very little going on at our club after a few seasons of unrest.

If we get the players we need in, into the club in a timely manner that means we are in the groove ready for the first game, I fully expect us to tw*t seven bales of sh*t out of every team we play at SMS.

What we achieve on the road, especially mid-week in mid-winter on the dogs of pitches that seem to represent the norm in this division, is anyones guess, including Pardew's, I'll venture...

Mate you shift the goalposts all the time. If that does happen and then Saints are thrashing teams, you'd come along and say 'A hard fought 1-0 win is better than a 5-0 drubbing as it'll keep the team on the ball for the next game.'

I don't think you'll be satisfied even if Saints get to the Premier league, win it and then win the Champions league the following season but dont win the Charity shield or something.

Anyway I 'heart' you too baby.