Starting XI for Plymouth

saints_is_the_south

Now we have a right back in atlast and the squad is beginning to take shape, what do you think the starting XI will be for our 1st game against Plymouth? Will Pards go 4-5-1 or 4-4-2? If it's 4-4-2 then the only question marks are over Harding/Dickson and Connolly/Barnard IMO. Hopefully we can now sign Antonio on a permanent deal, would love i if we could still get Papa back too but that seems unlikely. Anyway, the team...

Davis

Richardson - Jaidi - Fonte - Harding

Puncheon - Hammond - Morgan - Lallana

Connolly - Lambert

Edited by saints_is_the_south

Dickson to replace Harding, Puncheon to fill the right wing, hopefully we'll sign Stock to come in for Hammond, Barnard in for Connolly who will be our striker from the bench and perhaps a new CB in for Jaidi, or there's a chance for Martin and Seaborne to stake a claim.

Now we have a right back in atlast and the squad is beginning to take shape, what do you think the starting XI will be for our 1st game against Plymouth? Will Pards go 4-5-1 or 4-4-2? If it's 4-4-2 then the only question marks are over Harding/Dickson and Connolly/Barnard IMO. Hopefully we can now sign Antonio on a permanent deal, would love i if we could still get Papa back too but that seems unlikely. Anyway, the team...

Davis

? - Hammond - Morgan - Lallana

Connolly - Lambert

Have we sold Puncheon then?

Davis

? - Hammond - Morgan - Lallana

Connolly - Lambert

I think Dickson will be first choice left back.

Why have you left out Jason Puncheon? He was the first choice right midfielder last season and I see little reason why that will change.

Davis

Richardson Fonte Jaidi Harding

Lallana Punch Hammond Morgan Dicko

Lambert

Suds: Bart, Seaborne, Wotton, new signing, Barnard

Assuming we, err, don't lose anyone....cough cough...

Not going to have 7 subs then SNSUN? Or David Connolly?

We need no subs, our first XI will play all 46 league games and cup games.

(Yep, forgot it was 7 subs, I'm in the middle of playing CM4)

-------------------------------------------Davis-------------------------------------------------

Richardson---------------Jaidi----------------------Fonte------------------------------Harding

Lallana------------------Hammond---------------Schneiderlin-------------------------Dickson

--------------------------Lambert------------------Barnard------------------------------------

Subs: Bialkowski, Seaborne, Puncheon, Connolly, New Signing, New Signing, New Signing

As the squad stands, I'm pretty sure it will be this:

-----------------KD----------------

Frazer------Jaidi---Fonte------Dickson

Puncheon--Hammond--MS----Lalalalalalalalana

----------Lambert------Barnard/Connolly

Obviously we might sign another midfielder who plays instead of the second striker or replaces an existing player.

I can't see that we signed Dickson to play on the left wing. If we'd wanted to sign a left winger we would have signed a left winger, not a full-back.

Will be ineteresting to see who else comes into the squad and how we line up during the last couple of pre season games.

I get the feeling we will see a marquee signing before the start of the season, someone else who will go straight into the starting XI.

Probably something like this, though I'm not 100% on their current team.

....................Larrieu......................

Barker..McNamara..Bhasera..Johnson

Fletcher..Clark....D Johnson..Arnason

.........Fallon................Cooper........

Hopefully we will have a couple of new players by then but out of the current lot:

Davis

Richardson - Fonte - Jaidi - Harding

Puncheon - Hammond - Morgan - Dickson

Lallana

Lambert

Subs:

Bart

Seabourne

Martin

Barnard

Connolly

Wotton

Mills

This... but I don't think we should think about it as a best team - I think the best team will depend upon the opposition. Against some teams we will play 4-4-2 with Lambert and Connolly, while against other teams we will play Lambert and Barnard up top; in still other games, Lallana will play as a striker rather than in midfield and in quite a few games he will play out on the wing. I could go on for all sorts of positions. The thing is that AP has assembled a squad with many options, which is brilliant! :)

---------------------------Davis---------------------------

Richardson-------Jaidi----------Fonte----------Harding

---------------Hammond----Schneiderlin----------------

Puncheon---------------Lallana------------------Dickson

-------------------------Lambert--------------------------

SUBS

Bialkowski

Seabourne

Martin

Mills

Wotton

Barnard

Connolly

IMO we need to sign 2 midfielders and a versatile defender who will offer RB and CB cover.

Puncheon is a good player, but I thought his crossing was awful at times last year, he always just chips it into the box for the goalkeeper/centre halves to deal with easily. I think it was the Oldham game at the end of the season, he repeatedly did the same thing, drove me nuts!!!

SUBS

Bialkowski

Seabourne

Martin

Mills

Wotton

Barnard

Connolly

IMO we need to sign 2 midfielders and a versatile defender who will offer RB and CB cover.

That is the best formation I have seen but lets hope Lambert stays fit

SUBS

Bialkowski

Seabourne

Martin

Mills

Wotton

Barnard

Connolly

Deffo think this is the best formation. It's taken over from 442 in world football, just a shame that Capello couldn't see that... I am biased though, my saints team plays it on FM10 and we just finished 4th in the Prem!

If we do play it I don't think Dickson will play on the wing, I don't think he's much of a finisher. I reckon there'll be a new winger in to fill that role or a new CAM so Lallana can push out to the left.

Davis

Puncheon - Hammond - Morgan - Lallana

Connolly - Lambert

This.

A very, very good starting XI in the third division.

The bench is a bit thin, so we do need depth.

But I think it's going to be hard for us to sign any player who is obviously better in that starting line-up.

I'd like to get Papa and Antonio to give options off the bench or for injuries.

I definitely want better cover in CM than Wotton - because there's no way Hammond and Morgan are going to play 55 games from start to finish. But I do think it's cover we're looking for, and that these two are likely to be our best CMs (if we keep Spiderman)

I prefer Connolly to Barnard up front (just). But would like more cover here too - which underscores my wish to sign Papa and/or Antonio.

But overall, I don't think we need any super signings, just solid back-up.