8th July - Markus Liebherr Day

trousers

Lets just remember the few days leading up to the 8th last year shall we.That horrendous Failka interview on Sky, the complete collapse of the Pinnacle bid, and the few days of feeling that unless Fry could revive the Swiss bid we were in real danger of going out of business, just how were you feeling? I know I was getting desperate & feeling like that's it all over.

Thankfully ML & NC came back to the table & today we are able to celebrate his 1st anniversary in charge of us, as we as a club enter our 125th season. So for whatever reason ML decided to take a punt on us, I for one will always be eternally grateful that you did. If that's sycophantic nonsense then so be it. So a big THANKS MARCUS & NICOLA

A year ago today I was on a boat going down the canal du midi in France desperately trying to get updates on a phone that only had WAP internet and was in a weak signal area (guess most canals are). After 100 refreshes the echo page loaded saying we had been bought! Was such a good feeling.... and all of a sudden the canal du midi didn't seem half as boring...........

Have nothing but praise for the man (and NC as well). Just think, we could have been a year down the line under the stewardship of Pinnacle and probably further in the mire than we were. Thank you Markus and Nicola.

Micky has said it and I agree entirely with his comments. Thank you Markus and Nicola.

Agreed. I don't think many are naïve enough to think that Markus bought us just as an altruistic gesture. He is a businessman and obviously is setting out to revive Saints as a successful business as well as a successful football club. But I also believe he gets genuine pleasure from Saints' footballing success - remember him taking his own photos at Wembley, and with a smile so wide that AP almost fell in. I also would like to think that he derives some pleasure from seeing that he has made Saints fans happy, and that he is appreciated, so I have no hesitation in offering genuine unsycophantic thanks.

I think that's the crux of it. At the end of the day he may make, what, £20m at best once he sells (when he's in his late 60's or older). That's less than 1% of his current worth. He can make more than that in a few months of investing his fortune. He's probably got more than that behind all his sofas. He's in his 60's, has billions; if he were obsessed with making tons more money (which he doesn't need, anyway) he wouldn't be "investing" in a bloody football club.

Call me mad, but my theory is he bought the club to give him (and others) pleasure, and if he can build it up without spending ridiculous amounts of money, that would simply be all the more satisfying. I doubt if he gives a shit whether he'll make a piddling profit or not when/if he sells in the future, or passes it on.

I think that's the crux of it. At the end of the day he may make, what, £20m at best once he sells (when he's in his late 60's or older). That's less than 1% of his current worth. He can make more than that in a few months of investing his fortune. He's probably got more than that behind all his sofas. He's in his 60's, has billions; if he were obsessed with making tons more money (which he doesn't need, anyway) he wouldn't be "investing" in a bloody football club.

Call me mad, but my theory is he bought the club to give him (and others) pleasure, and if he can build it up without spending ridiculous amounts of money, that would simply be all the more satisfying. I doubt if he gives a shit whether he'll make a piddling profit or not when/if he sells in the future, or passes it on.

Yep, I think you are mad. A German billionaire living in Switzerland (for the tax breaks presumably so maybe isn't that publically spirited) for some reason thinks the goodly folk of an English city with a 3rd division football club deserve to have it saved for them. B U L L S H I N E. Anyone with half a brain can see he is merely financing his "adoptive sonny boy" Cortese.

No he isn't really interested in the profit, as it would be peanuts to him. But as a project for his boyo, he's prepared to put in some pocket money.

But OK, so we at least have a football club, and that's good.

I do think that a lot of people are somehow making the pair of them out to be saints, and there is a degree of rather childich sycophancy and hero worship going on.

Mr Illingworth in the Echo says that everything they are doing is "slick and professional". Well, anyone can say it, but where exactly is the evidence?

1. They were around the scene before Pinnacle, but hovvered in the shadows waiting to pick up the club as cheaply as possibe. Good business for them, but little more than opportunism.

2. The planning application for Staplewood was reportedly messy and contained numerous errors

3. The relationship with the Echo promptly became the worst it has ever been

4. Unecessary speculation was allowed to fester about Pardew's future

5. A programme had to be pulled at the last minute and the reasons for that remain unexplained

6. The season ticket issue was mishandled, loyal fans have been upset and extra charges brought in as a fait acompli

7. Season tickets for some cup games won't guarantee your normal seat and that has further aggravated some loyal customers

8. They said we would get moving on our squad early and would be able to hit the ground running this season, but signings are dragging. Ok, not worse than the average, but their purported aim is that we are better than average

9. Admin staff are alleged to be less than happy about the atmosphere behind the scenes.

10. The Staplewood revamp has reportedly stalled and the contractors upset

I'm to a degree being devil's advocate above, but nevertheless I'm not sure all this justifies the "everything is slick and professional" accolade.

But if you really do think they deserve that plaudit, please give CONCRETE examples of exactly what they have done that is notably slick and professional.

Hope you are playing devils advocate rather than believe all of that.

Don't think anyone on here has raved totally about Cortesse nor said he hasn't made mistakes - he clearly has.

BUT:

your list omits

1) appointed a very good manager for this level

2) signed excellent players

3) not sold one good player

4) improved academy

5) talked positively about plans for stadium and training ground

6) won lots of games!

Don't think anyone on here has raved totally about Cortesse nor said he hasn't made mistakes - he clearly has.

BUT:

your list omits

4) improved academy

6) won lots of games!

I think my list was a reasonable tally of things that don't appear slick and professional.

RE: Your list:

2 & 3 maybe are all down to 1, (and failed to get/retain Antonio)

4. remains very much to be seen - details?

5. talk is cheap.

6. Down to 1. Isn't evidence of THEIR slickness and professionalism.

Yes I don't deny that good things have happened, but I think the rear orrifice licking has been just a tad heavy, and I have reservations about NC's style, and his possible responses when things don't go exactly the way he wants.

Yep, I think you are mad. A German billionaire living in Switzerland (for the tax breaks presumably so maybe isn't that publically spirited) for some reason thinks the goodly folk of an English city with a 3rd division football club deserve to have it saved for them. B U L L S H I N E. Anyone with half a brain can see he is merely financing his "adoptive sonny boy" Cortese.

No he isn't really interested in the profit, as it would be peanuts to him. But as a project for his boyo, he's prepared to put in some pocket money.

I do think that a lot of people are somehow making the pair of them out to be saints, and there is a degree of rather childich sycophancy and hero worship going on.

Mr Illingworth in the Echo says that everything they are doing is "slick and professional". Well, anyone can say it, but where exactly is the evidence?

1. They were around the scene before Pinnacle, but hovvered in the shadows waiting to pick up the club as cheaply as possibe. Good business for them, but little more than opportunism.

2. The planning application for Staplewood was reportedly messy and contained numerous errors

5. A programme had to be pulled at the last minute and the reasons for that remain unexplained

6. The season ticket issue was mishandled, loyal fans have been upset and extra charges brought in as a fait acompli

7. Season tickets for some cup games won't guarantee your normal seat and that has further aggravated some loyal customers

8. They said we would get moving on our squad early and would be able to hit the ground running this season, but signings are dragging. Ok, not worse than the average, but their purported aim is that we are better than average

9. Admin staff are alleged to be less than happy about the atmosphere behind the scenes.

I'm to a degree being devil's advocate above, but nevertheless I'm not sure all this justifies the "everything is slick and professional" accolade.

But if you really do think they deserve that plaudit, please give CONCRETE examples of exactly what they have done that is notably slick and professional.

I agree with you except to say, I don't think Cortese is on Illingsworth's xmas card list.

BUT:

your list omits

4) improved academy

6) won lots of games!

Every single one of which is possible because we now have no debts and a lot of money to play with. Outside of that?

You say that you are playing Devil's Advocate and seek concrete evidence that justifies the accolade that everything is slick and professional. But playing Devil's Advocate the other way around, half of the examples you have given yourself could be turned around to support that argument. For instance, numbers 1 and 8. They gave the impression that their offer was put on the back burner by Fry because of the intervention of Pinnacle and ML seemingly faced a rival bid fronted by a Club legend and accordingly backed off a bit. But if you prefer to believe that he waited until the opportunity was there to get a reduced priced, then is that not astute and professional nous? Likewise the situation regarding the signing of players. There might also be an element there of keeping agents or rival clubs sweating so that our bid price is reduced, but certainly when a rabbit like Richardson is pulled out of the hat, ML & Cortese have received plaudits for the way that they have gone about things.

Number 7? So what? For some cup matches, stands or corners might be closed if attendances are lower. So some ST holders are upset because of that. Where I am in Block 42, I have always accepted that for some Cup matches, rival fans might have my seat.

Other points you make are largely a matter for conjecture or speculation, such as 2, 5, 9 and 10. You confirm as much by your use of reportedly or allegedly. So where you ask for CONCRETE examples of what they have done that is notably slick and professional, you yourself have not furnished concrete examples to refute that premise, or at least not many. Personally I don't find much to disagree with in Nick's list. Do you?

Every single one of which is possible because we now have no debts and a lot of money to play with. Outside of that?

You can't just eradicate all of those plus points by ignoring the fact that they only became possible because of the wealth of our owner, without also acknowledging that it is because of it that most fans are ecstatic and grateful to him for choosing us to invest in. Hence the whole purpose of the thread.

You can't just eradicate all of those plus points by ignoring the fact that they only became possible because of the wealth of our owner, without also acknowledging that it is because of it that most fans are ecstatic and grateful to him for choosing us to invest in. Hence the whole purpose of the thread.

Where in my post did I mention Markus?

You say that you are playing Devil's Advocate and seek concrete evidence that justifies the accolade that everything is slick and professional. But playing Devil's Advocate the other way around, half of the examples you have given yourself could be turned around to support that argument. For instance, numbers 1 and 8. They gave the impression that their offer was put on the back burner by Fry because of the intervention of Pinnacle and ML seemingly faced a rival bid fronted by a Club legend and accordingly backed off a bit. But if you prefer to believe that he waited until the opportunity was there to get a reduced priced, then is that not astute and professional nous? Likewise the situation regarding the signing of players. There might also be an element there of keeping agents or rival clubs sweating so that our bid price is reduced, but certainly when a rabbit like Richardson is pulled out of the hat, ML & Cortese have received plaudits for the way that they have gone about things.

Number 7? So what? For some cup matches, stands or corners might be closed if attendances are lower. So some ST holders are upset because of that. Where I am in Block 42, I have always accepted that for some Cup matches, rival fans might have my seat.

Other points you make are largely a matter for conjecture or speculation, such as 2, 5, 9 and 10. You confirm as much by your use of reportedly or allegedly. So where you ask for CONCRETE examples of what they have done that is notably slick and professional, you yourself have not furnished concrete examples to refute that premise, or at least not many. Personally I don't find much to disagree with in Nick's list. Do you?

Re the bold bit, yes I do disagree somewhat - and did answer his list earlier.

It isn't me running around saying everything they do is slick and professional, so I don't have to prove that what they do is the opposite, but I have highlighted (an increasing number of) areas in which there could be a suggestion of something rather less than slick and professional.

As ML would appear to have very little day to day involvement I would suggest that he is leaving it all to NC; that all ML has done is bankroll NC and that we probably ought to stop thinking that someone who has put up (what to him is) pocket money for his protege's project is some kind of altruistic saviour.

What happens (good or bad) is ultimately down, in practice, to Cortese.

He's done some things that are good, I don't deny it (and elsewhere have given credit), but I think he is beginning to show himself to be a bit of a mixed bag, that everything isn't entirely slick or professional.

I'll wait a bit longer before demanding he's burned at the stake.

Cortese clearly has a strategy that invovles transforming the club on numerous levels.

That will take time and is not an easy thing to do. It will involve change. Some people don't like change.

Maintaining a healthy degree of scrutiny is sensible; adopting contrary viewpoints and/or being a gobby f-wit purely to get attention is not.

How anyone can be unhappy overall with the job done by him is quite simply baffling. If you are then you're probably better off supporting a team like Eastleigh or Winchester which will accord more readily with your old world view of things.

I think my list was a reasonable tally of things that don't appear slick and professional.

RE: Your list:

2 & 3 maybe are all down to 1, (and failed to get/retain Antonio)

4. remains very much to be seen - details?

5. talk is cheap.

6. Down to 1. Isn't evidence of THEIR slickness and professionalism.

Yes I don't deny that good things have happened, but I think the rear orrifice licking has been just a tad heavy, and I have reservations about NC's style, and his possible responses when things don't go exactly the way he wants.

still with more fact and more importance when running a club than issues you raised!

BTW can't remember anyone giving him the 100% glowing praise you are responding to??

still with more fact and more importance when running a club than issues you raised!

BTW can't remember anyone giving him the 100% glowing praise you are responding to??

In your opinion.

Try this for example:

Markus has shown great ambition and diligence in his takeover and subsequent management of the future fot SFC. His appointment of NC was one of inspiration and prudent speculation. Markus has shown to be a popular figure within the club and all evidence indicates a fantastic future. As long as he continues to improve the club in all aspects through his investment and support and creates a club that ultimately stands upon it's own 2 feet and looks to innovate with the view of changing the business culture of football especially through his confident and Chairman we expect Markus and NC to excel and deliver a properous and entertaining future.

Well done and 5 gold stars

..And Nick Illingworth in the Echo from which the line "everything is slick and professional" was taken.

Cortese clearly has a strategy that invovles transforming the club on numerous levels.

That will take time and is not an easy thing to do. It will involve change. Some people don't like change.

Maintaining a healthy degree of scrutiny is sensible; adopting contrary viewpoints and/or being a gobby f-wit purely to get attention is not.

How anyone can be unhappy overall with the job done by him is quite simply baffling. If you are then you're probably better off supporting a team like Eastleigh or Winchester which will accord more readily with your old world view of things.

I cant really see why

......"but I have highlighted (an increasing number of) areas in which there could be a suggestion of something rather less than slick and professional.

As ML would appear to have very little day to day involvement I would suggest that he is leaving it all to NC; that all ML has done is bankroll NC and that we probably ought to stop thinking that someone who has put up (what to him is) pocket money for his protege's project is some kind of altruistic saviour.

He's done some things that are good, I don't deny it (and elsewhere have given credit), but I think he is beginning to show himself to be a bit of a mixed bag, that everything isn't entirely slick or professional.

is being a gobby f-wit purely to get attention.

But some might be beginning to think they'll only be able to afford Eastleigh or Winchester if we get back to the prem with NC.

Where in my post did I mention Markus?

Where did I mention him either? But who do you credit with the fact that we are debt free and able to go after players that we couldn't afford before then? Unless you can point to our financial wellbeing coming from some Spanish lottery win that I dodn't know about, I'd suggest that it is down to the wealth of our owner, Markus Liebherr. It isn't Cortese's wealth; he is merely the facilitator on ML's behalf.

I agree with you except to say, I don't think Cortese is on Illingsworth's xmas card list.

To clear things up it wasn't Illingsworth who said things where running slick and professionally it was some bloke called Darren, I read it on Thursday.

Re the bold bit, yes I do disagree somewhat - and did answer his list earlier.

It isn't me running around saying everything they do is slick and professional, so I don't have to prove that what they do is the opposite, but I have highlighted (an increasing number of) areas in which there could be a suggestion of something rather less than slick and professional.

TBH I really couldn't give a toss if our saviour is altruist or not. :toppa:

• 2 years later...

Thanks for bumping this thread, Trousers.

We should not forget the part that Markus Liebherr played in saving our club in its darkest hour. We've come a long way in a short time since, further than most would have imagined when he and Cortese arrived.

Isn't it time to re-name the Itchen as The Marcus Liebherr Stand or even the Marcus Liebherr Stadium?

The 'Marcus Liebherr St Mary's Stadium' would be a great and fitting tribute. A renaming of the Itchen Bridge to the Markus Liebherr Bridge might be more significant though.

Would be a good day to announce the shock signing of Ever Banega.

'Just as Markus Liebherr had the vision to refashion the Saints as a modern successful football club, so we continue to build upon that vision with the signing of one of the world's most exciting footballing talents. This landmark signing stands as a testament to all that Markus Liebherr sought to achieve when he bought the club four years ago today.'

• 4 years later...