Promotion - is it essential?

Professor

I know we've been through this before, but if anything, there is even more need to hit the promotion target. The playoffs are a lottery, so this does mean an automatic spot, and even second isn't really adequate as everyone will be concious that dropping one place below second puts you into the lottery.

In a 5-year plan, to wait another year migfht not look disasterous, after all it took Leeds three years, but we need to keep the interest of the Swiss owners which may mean that it is even more important to deliver on stage one of the plan. There's no reason for such pressure to be unwelcome to the Chairman or the Manager, and it may prove to be a motivation for team strengthening if that looks necessary.

Signings this month still seem likely and if not, then loans next month. No matter how good people feel the squad is, logic suggests a need to insure against the unexpected if the promotion target has become even more crucial in the club's new situation.

Wir warten mit Interesse

and even second isn't really adequate as everyone will be concious that dropping one place below second puts you into the lottery.

Agreed. And even first place isn't really adequate as we'd all be conscious that dropping down one place below that would put us in second which would mean that dropping one place below puts you into the lottery.

I know we've been through this before, but if anything, there is even more need to hit the promotion target. The playoffs are a lottery, so this does mean an automatic spot, and even second isn't really adequate as everyone will be concious that dropping one place below second puts you into the lottery.

In a 5-year plan, to wait another year migfht not look disasterous, after all it took Leeds three years, but we need to keep the interest of the Swiss owners which may mean that it is even more important to deliver on stage one of the plan. There's no reason for such pressure to be unwelcome to the Chairman or the Manager, and it may prove to be a motivation for team strengthening if that looks necessary.

Signings this month still seem likely and if not, then loans next month. No matter how good people feel the squad is, logic suggests a need to insure against the unexpected if the promotion target has become even more crucial in the club's new situation.

Wir warten mit Interesse

Brauchen wir wirklich noch ein Gang für diesen Thema ?

I think this second season in league one will do us good but a third season would be pushing that thinking somewhat. Even with the -10 points, we ended last season on promotion form, so the natural progression from that has to be promotion this season or it'll have shown a backwards step.

We have to get promoted if we dont it will see the end of Pards and wholesale changes to the squad.

We need stability if we go up Pards will get a chance in the Championship if we are going to grow and progress stability is the key I want us to devolp a style of play and get the club going in 1 direction we will only get that if we get promoted.

Look at Everton United Arsenal they have long term managers with a long term plan there youth teams play the way there 1st team play when a youngster makes the grade they slot in thats the sort of progress we need and you wont get it chopping & changing.

For the good of SFC we must get promotion and it could really do with us going up as champions

We have to get promoted if we dont it will see the end of Pards and wholesale changes to the squad.

We need stability if we go up Pards will get a chance in the Championship if we are going to grow and progress stability is the key I want us to devolp a style of play and get the club going in 1 direction we will only get that if we get promoted.

Look at Everton United Arsenal they have long term managers with a long term plan there youth teams play the way there 1st team play when a youngster makes the grade they slot in thats the sort of progress we need and you wont get it chopping & changing.

For the good of SFC we must get promotion and it could really do with us going up as champions

+1.

so much will change if we fail to go up, and it won't get easier by any means.

If we don't do it this season then i fear Lallana will go and so will any of our best 5 players.

I would also expect the crowds to drop down to an average 16k too.

I might even jump ship myself and support a big premiership team.

Don't say that some on here will think you are serious

Wir warten mit Interesse

It is Essential IMHO

THIS season, it is expected, and people will come along to "Boost" a Third Division Club's gates

But, should we fail, then the "euphoria" will be gone, (along with a lot of other things), and we will get very much lower gates

People ARE following the Markus Leibherr Dream at the moment

first or second is needed,playoffs are too much of a lottery.with the way we ended last season it shouldnt be too much to ask for a promotion spot this season.consistency will then continue with pardew and hopefuly there wont be the need to change manager.then we progress and continue to build till back in the premiership.wifm

The Professor makes a good point, and I for one am convinced. We should make sure we don't get one of the two automatic promotion spots, and if we do get in danger of making it should make sure we lose a game. We should all start booing the team if we start winning too much - perhaps a coordinated concerted effort to get everyone to sit in the away end if we face a crucial must-lose match.

It isn't essential to me, but it is for the long-term health of the club.

I think that it might be essential for the short-term health for a lot of club supporters too! Depression likely to set in if we are not top very soon. :)

Nevertheless, I agree with your sentiments here.

Well, it depends.

If Southampton want to be in the Championship next season, then promotion is essential.

If they want to be in League 2 next year, then relegation is essential.

If they want to stay in League 1, then avoiding promotion and relegation this season is essential.

I shall leave you with that thought.

Well, it depends.

If Southampton want to be in the Championship next season, then promotion is essential.

If they want to stay in League 1, then avoiding promotion and relegation this season is essential.

Off to the pub with DBP, no doubt...

No it's not essential, desirable yes essential no. The club doesn't cease to exsist if we fail to get promoted the fans won't dissapper there are lots of clubs that have carried on the lower leagues for years.We all want to win the league/get promoted but if we don't most of us won't stop supporting saints the world will not end.

Well, it depends.

That is an interesting thought. Let's hope we're successful with at at least one of those, if not more!

You're taking the micky if you think promo aint important!!

______________$$$$$$$

_____________$$$$$$$$$

____________$$$$$$$$$$$

____________$$$$$$$$$$$

____________$$$$$$$$$$$

_____________$$$$$$$$$

_____$$$$$$_____$$$$$$$$$$

____$$$$$$$$__$$$$$$_____$$$

___$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$_________$

___$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$______$__$

___$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$_____$$$_$

___$$$$$$$$$$$__________$$$_$_____$$

____$$$$$$$$$____________$$_$$$$_$$$$

______$$$__$$__$$$______________$$$$

___________$$____$_______________$

____________$$____$______________$

_____________$$___$$$__________$$

_______________$$$_$$$$$$_$$$$$

________________$$____$$_$$$$$

_______________$$$$$___$$$$$$$$$$

_______________$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

_______________$$_$$$$$$$$$$$$$$__$$

_______________$$__$$$$$$$$$$$___$_$

______________$$$__$___$$$______$$$$

______________$$$_$__________$$_$$$$

______________$$$$$_________$$$$_$_$

_______________$$$$__________$$$__$$

_____$$$$_________$________________$

___$$$___$$______$$$_____________$$

__$___$$__$$_____$__$$$_____$$__$$

_$$____$___$_______$$$$$$$$$$$$$

_$$_____$___$_____$$$$$_$$___$$$

_$$_____$___$___$$$$____$____$$

__$_____$$__$$$$$$$____$$_$$$$$

__$$_____$___$_$$_____$__$__$$$$$$$$$$$$

___$_____$$__$_$_____$_$$$__$$__$______$$$

____$$_________$___$$_$___$$__$$_________$

_____$$_$$$$___$__$$__$__________________$

______$$____$__$$$____$__________________$

_______$____$__$_______$$______________$$

_______$$$$_$$$_________$$$$$$$__$$$$$$

__________$$$_________________$$$$$

You're taking the micky if you think promo aint important!!

______________$$$$$$$

_____________$$$$$$$$$

____________$$$$$$$$$$$

____________$$$$$$$$$$$

____________$$$$$$$$$$$

_____________$$$$$$$$$

_____$$$$$$_____$$$$$$$$$$

____$$$$$$$$__$$$$$$_____$$$

___$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$_________$

___$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$______$__$

___$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$_____$$$_$

___$$$$$$$$$$$__________$$$_$_____$$

____$$$$$$$$$____________$$_$$$$_$$$$

______$$$__$$__$$$______________$$$$

___________$$____$_______________$

____________$$____$______________$

_____________$$___$$$__________$$

_______________$$$_$$$$$$_$$$$$

________________$$____$$_$$$$$

_______________$$$$$___$$$$$$$$$$

_______________$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

_______________$$_$$$$$$$$$$$$$$__$$

_______________$$__$$$$$$$$$$$___$_$

______________$$$__$___$$$______$$$$

______________$$$_$__________$$_$$$$

______________$$$$$_________$$$$_$_$

_______________$$$$__________$$$__$$

_____$$$$_________$________________$

___$$$___$$______$$$_____________$$

__$___$$__$$_____$__$$$_____$$__$$

_$$____$___$_______$$$$$$$$$$$$$

_$$_____$___$_____$$$$$_$$___$$$

_$$_____$___$___$$$$____$____$$

__$_____$$__$$$$$$$____$$_$$$$$

__$$_____$___$_$$_____$__$__$$$$$$$$$$$$

___$_____$$__$_$_____$_$$$__$$__$______$$$

____$$_________$___$$_$___$$__$$_________$

_____$$_$$$$___$__$$__$__________________$

______$$____$__$$$____$__________________$

_______$____$__$_______$$______________$$

_______$$$$_$$$_________$$$$$$$__$$$$$$

__________$$$_________________$$$$$

Copy and paste? And I disagree Glasgow, promotion isn't essential. In fact I really don't like promotion at all. I'm far happier finishing around mid-table..... 8th is perfect.

It's not essential.

If we don't get promoted, we will still get crowds of 18K+ next season. Sooner or later, it would be nearly impossible NOT to get promoted. There is virtually no level of plausible medium term mismanagement that won't see us get up to the Championship.

If we don't make it this year though, I think we're into another rebuild scenario. I doubt Lambert, Lallana, Fonte, Schnedierlin et al will be playing 3rd dividion football next season.

Out of interest those that say it's a must. What will you do if we don't get promoted? Every saints fan wants us to be champions but isn't that the same every season? No doubt if we don't get promotion there will be a new manager and new players but so what? The world won't end if we don't get promoted no doubt we will all be might angry ****ed off for a few days but how will that be any different from normal;)

It is essential for the club and it's stability I would say. I will still support the team - I love my footie and I cannot imagine supporting any other club, so it will go on for me. I cannot imagine though that the quality of this team will not achieve the success we all crave this season, whether by auto or by play-offs we will do it.

WIFM

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
Forgot the WIFM

I always wondered if the best place to end is defeated play off finalists in the Championship.

I like seeing saints win, so watching them lose to manure, Arse, Chelsea etc was expensive and rarely rewarding.

Equally defeats to Bolton, Fulham, Blackburn and other small premiership teams was hardly great fun.

So promotion from L1 - a must.

Promotion from Championship - ?

I always wondered if the best place to end is defeated play off finalists in the Championship.

I like seeing saints win, so watching them lose to manure, Arse, Chelsea etc was expensive and rarely rewarding.

Equally defeats to Bolton, Fulham, Blackburn and other small premiership teams was hardly great fun.

So promotion from L1 - a must.

Promotion from Championship - ?

yeah..getting relegated from the CCC was a hoot...eh..?