Transfer activity, or lack of

Huffton

We all know we need two or three more players, AP knows this, therefore NC also knows. People are moaning that we haven't signed anyone yet but we need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

We are rich, seriously compared to some other clubs who are hanging by a thread. Some of these need to sell players to keep going. We have money to burn and they know it. YOu can imagine the phone call.

NC: "Hello Mr Chairman, we'd like to buy your best player"

Chairman: "Kerching! Yes Mr Cortese, that will be £2m more than he's worth"

NC: " 'kin ell, your 'avin a laugh mate!" (in an Italian accent)

Surely it would make far more sense to wait until the end of the window, when clubs who need to sell will be getting twitchy and are far more likely to let players go at a decent price. I think we just need to sit tight for a little while and the signings will come.

Surely it would make far more sense to wait until the end of the window, when clubs who need to sell will be getting twitchy and are far more likely to let players go at a decent price. I think we just need to sit tight for a little while and the signings will come.

I think that's exactly what Pardew has been alluding to in the past few weeks.

just ****ing sign Antonio before the season goes up in smoke.

I liked Antonio, but to hang everything on a player who didn't even come off the bench for Reading yesterday is a bit strange. Actually I think Chamberlain is proving he can be an excellent replacement, but I would welcome Antonio back. Our season going up in smoke has as much if not more to do with our central midfield, strikers and centre back at the moment.

What is clear is that we have actually gone backwards from the team we were at the end of last season. We desperately lack the unpredicatability offered by Antonio and Waigo. The reason for the obsession with Antonio is that he is a player we know has worked in our system and he also offers an another alternative with his long throws. There is always the possibility of a Saganowski scenario where a player who is great on loan becomes rubbish with a long term contract. Even so, Antonio seems to be about as low risk as a transfer as you can ask for.

We need someone like Antonio because he got us out of some tricky situations, or at least had the ability to provide something different. If a team parks the bus against us - which this season will be pretty much every week - it is clear that hoof it Rickie and flick on isn't going to cut it. Therefore we need a Plan B. Lallana and Puncheon both tend to drift inside which isn't a bad thing. But too much of the same means we are too predictable for the workmanlike defences that we will come up against. We need someone in who can get to the goal line and provide a good cross. Someone who can create panic. What Antonio did last season was something extra that gave us another dimension in our game. He could have his back to goal with two defenders up his anus and he'd still be able to beat them both with an astonishing bit of skill. Its something that isn't truly in Puncheon and Lallana's repetoire.

Oxlade-Chamberlain could well be an exciting prospect, but to rely on a 16 going on 17 year old on being that "magic spark" to break down a defensive team, and getting us those vital extra few points in order to achieve promotion, is probably too much to ask of the boy!

I have been told by a pretty high up source that the money has been made available for Pardew, but he's been very picky about who to sign.

It does seem strange that we have been so limited in transfer activity though.

I don't really accpet that we can be held to ransom as a rich club. That would be true if we had our heart set on one particular player, but (Antonio fans aside), we don't. We need a fast winger or two...if club X is asking too much, go to club Y. If they are asking too much go to club Z. There must be literally dozens - if not hundreds - or professional footballers who fit the bill. Same goes for a new CM.

I have been told by a pretty high up source that the money has been made available for Pardew, but he's been very picky about who to sign.

It does seem strange that we have been so limited in transfer activity though.

I don't really accpet that we can be held to ransom as a rich club. That would be true if we had our heart set on one particular player, but (Antonio fans aside), we don't. We need a fast winger or two...if club X is asking too much, go to club Y. If they are asking too much go to club Z. There must be literally dozens - if not hundreds - or professional footballers who fit the bill. Same goes for a new CM.

None of us knows what is going on behind the scenes but if waiting a bit longer means that we get the right players in why should that be a problem?

Pace, impact off the bench, tenaciousness, goals, all things strangely absent from this season so far. Sure, we can do without him. No worries. What did the Romans ever do for us?

how many games did he start last season, how many goals did he score? how many times did he make an impact from the bench? Check, i think you will be in for a shock. oh and Reading want near on a million for him, so not worth that!

I know Cortese has reassured us that the Liebherr family are going to carry on running the football club and carry out Markus's wishes but I wonder whether his death has tied up transfer funds until all the legalities of his will and business interests have been dealt with?

Got to say this and I know I will be shot down , but I really don't think that the club has spent enough on players in the last year - ok so we have spent £3m or £4m or something, but look, when Markus bought the club we had a squad that was probably worth less than zero - so many hopeless players on long contracts that would have cost us money to get rid of them - and still costing us money now - Forecast , Pullis etc - half of last years wages budget went on paying the dross - Thomas , Perry etc etc etc.

I don't think the owners truly realised that as a club we were so run down - totally asset stripped by the previous owner and administrators. A lot of the transfer budget was spent on just getting on to an even keel with other L1 clubs - Lambert and Fonte aside I would say this is the case!

how many games did he start last season, how many goals did he score? how many times did he make an impact from the bench? Check, i think you will be in for a shock. oh and Reading want near on a million for him, so not worth that!

Must say that Antonio or Waigo had an impact in every game I went to last season which we won..

What is clear is that we have actually gone backwards from the team we were at the end of last season. We desperately lack the unpredicatability offered by Antonio and Waigo. The reason for the obsession with Antonio is that he is a player we know has worked in our system and he also offers an another alternative with his long throws. There is always the possibility of a Saganowski scenario where a player who is great on loan becomes rubbish with a long term contract. Even so, Antonio seems to be about as low risk as a transfer as you can ask for.

That's not clear at all. Actually we're better as we have improved at right back and the rest of the team is the same.

I'm just glad our management and players have more bottle than many of our fans.

None of us knows what is going on behind the scenes but if waiting a bit longer means that we get the right players in why should that be a problem?

The guy I spoke to is high up behind the scenes. Im very confident he knows whats going on.

I agree theres not a big problem if we sign great players on Aug 30th rather than average players on Aug 25th.

But the problem, as described to me, is not that. It's that AP has a "not made here" syndrome. I.e. he doesnt like recommendations from otehrs on principle.

The guy I spoke to is high up behind the scenes. Im very confident he knows whats going on.

I agree theres not a big problem if we sign great players on Aug 30th rather than average players on Aug 25th.

But the problem, as described to me, is not that. It's that AP has a "not made here" syndrome. I.e. he doesnt like recommendations from otehrs on principle.

With so much stake and his neck on the line perhaps that is understandable. Look what happened with Delgado. His transfers so far have been fine.

I hear AP is one of a four man committee who takes decisions on transfers. NC is on the committee as is Reed and the guy who heads up scouting. I also hear AP is none too enamoured with the arrangement.

If we are serious about promotion then we should not be playing cat and mouse with timings of transfers etc. This should have been more or less sorted long before now so we had the best possible start.

As it is, we have already dropped points and if one of the top sides has a blinding half a dozen games we are already playing catchup.

If this season is a failure then the plans of our buyers is already destroyed, where does that leave us?

If we are serious about promotion then we should not be playing cat and mouse with timings of transfers etc. This should have been more or less sorted long before now so we had the best possible start.

As it is, we have already dropped points and if one of the top sides has a blinding half a dozen games we are already playing catchup.

If this season is a failure then the plans of our buyers is already destroyed, where does that leave us?

In trouble.

I agree completely with your post.

Lots of transfers will take place as the window closure draws near and, as Pardew has said, when that happens movement higher up the football food chain will mean that Saints will be able to sign better players than those who are currently on offer. Some of the players Saints want are probably on hold until their present clubs secure replacements. Makes sense to me.

I hear AP is one of a four man committee who takes decisions on transfers. NC is on the committee as is Reed and the guy who heads up scouting. I also hear AP is none too enamoured with the arrangement.

Can't understand why, surely all those years in banking have set Nicola up for this committe perfectly? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings.

We have had 2 league games. If in the next week or so we bring in 2 players who improve our results what is the problem.

If we don't make any signing and are struggling after 10 games, by all means slit your wrists, but after 2 games when you know we are looking to strengthen - jeez.

We have had 2 league games. If in the next week or so we bring in 2 players who improve our results what is the problem.

If we don't make any signing and are struggling after 10 games, by all means slit your wrists, but after 2 games when you know we are looking to strengthen - jeez.

Who is slitting their wrists ? We are simply saying we expect NC to run out of patience and act and would support such action.

Lets face it, if Pardew were to win every game 3-0 there would still be some on here knocking him.

FFS, why cant you discuss anything like an adult ?

Edited by alpine_saint

2 games in (3 including Bournemouth), and we have been below par in every one. And against modest opposition too.

I'm not slitting my wrists, but this is a VERY inauspiscious start.

It can be turned around. Of course it can. But it needs to be turned around. Because if we continue on this trajectory - performance wise - we are heading for midtable. Something, somehow needs to happen to bring about a massive improvement.

I know some are saying that we deserved to win against Plymouth and Leyton, but I don't see it. Certianly, we look nothing like the best team in the league at the moment.

Who is slitting their wrists ? We are simply saying we expect NC to run out of patience and act and would support such action.

FFS, why cant you discuss anything like an adult ?

Because you constantly behave like a child. 2 games in and you are throwing your dummy out of the pram. I remember you managing to turn a 6-0 away win into a chance to have a dig at the manager at the time. It is a game Alpine. Whatever manager we have at any given point is doing his best to win matches, just as the opposition team manager is doing to us. We are not going to win every game, no matter who our manager or CEO is. If you can grasp those issues maybe we can have a grown up debate?

Because you constantly behave like a child. 2 games in and you are throwing your dummy out of the pram. I remember you managing to turn a 6-0 away win into a chance to have a dig at the manager at the time. It is a game Alpine. Whatever manager we have at any given point is doing his best to win matches, just as the opposition team manager is doing to us. We are not going to win every game, no matter who our manager or CEO is. If you can grasp those issues maybe we can have a grown up debate?

Unfortunately, in this case Alpine's been proven right so far. We were all banging on about how important it was for us to come steaming out of the blockes from the very first game, and that hasn't happened yet. Yes, of course there's plenty of time left in the season and the transfer window is still open. But for the squad not to have been strengthened in two such vital areas (CM and RM) does point questions at the manager. I think Alpine was wrong when criticising AP in June and July for the lack of signings by then, but we're now in late August and seemingly no closer to getting the players AP said he needs.

I still think we'll sign the players we're missing, and of course I think our fortunes will turn around. But it's no good re-writing history and pretending now that a slow start doesn't matter; it does. We're the "team to beat" in this division and the longer we stumble along the more difficult it will become to turn losses and draws consistently into wins.

I really don't think that the club has spent enough on players in the last year

Ummm HELLO!!

In 12 months we have signed -

Frazer Richardson

Jose Fonte

Aaron Martin

Dan Harding

Danny Butterfield

Ryan Dickson

Radhi Jaidi

Danny Seaborne

Dean Hammond