Tranmere post match reaction

Badger

Tranmere manager Les Parry paid tribute to Southampton's quality but was left to rue the timings of their goals in his side's 2-0 defeat at St Mary's.Rickie Lambert scored his fifth goal of the season in the 42nd minute and Adam Lallana added a second 11 minutes after the restart as Rovers wilted after a promising start.Parry said: "Southampton have a superb side but I thought we had weathered the storm and I was disappointed to go in 1-0 down."It was a bad time to concede and if it had been goalless at the interval, as it threatened to be, it would have given us a lift."But they got a second goal soon after the break and it was one-way traffic after that. They are the best side we have played this season and we have played eight of the 11 top sides in the division."

Its my first live game this season. A few random thoughts

VERY impressed with the way the team now build from the back.

Guly in a different class.

Lambert did'nt look like the player of last season, but still an important cog in the machine

I think we now have the manager & squad for automatic promotion......COUS!

Just read up on all your match reports. Sounded a great game. Was REALLY frustrating listening to it on the radio until we scored - We sounded superb, but just could not break them down.

Guly sounded fantastic. Sounded like he's found his best position as a link-up man, without the worry of defending, if he was playing as one of a central midfield two.

We certainly had a lot of guile in the 1st XI yesterday, with Punch/Lallana/Guly. The bench looked healthy too.

Well done boys & bring on Huddersfield. Biggest test of the season.

2. Leaving two players up at corners.

To be fair, I'd suggest that might be more to do with Tranmere only having one player in the area for those corners than any particularly pre-determined tactic. There's no point bringing everyone back to defend a corner when you already massively outnumber the opposition, and I doubt it would have been something that would have been expected, especially in the first half at 0-0.

That said, I'd rather we left at least one player up for corners, simply because of the problems associated with bringing everyone back - if you clear it the first time, you're still giving the opposition the chance to put in a better cross from the second attempt.

To be fair, I'd suggest that might be more to do with Tranmere only having one player in the area for those corners than any particularly pre-determined tactic. There's no point bringing everyone back to defend a corner when you already massively outnumber the opposition, and I doubt it would have been something that would have been expected, especially in the first half at 0-0.

That said, I'd rather we left at least one player up for corners, simply because of the problems associated with bringing everyone back - if you clear it the first time, you're still giving the opposition the chance to put in a better cross from the second attempt.

As was said above we did it against Bournemouth. Why have two shortish players in the penalty area defending. Put them out wide on the centre circle and the opposition have to leave at least 2 back and it immediately stretches them if the ball comes out. A less cluttered penalty area also allows our defenders more room to attack the ball.

As was said above we did it against Bournemouth. Why have two shortish players in the penalty area defending. Put them out wide on the centre circle and the opposition have to leave at least 2 back and it immediately stretches them if the ball comes out. A less cluttered penalty area also allows our defenders more room to attack the ball.

Aye, I noticed the lads ensuring that we kept two up, which kept three defenders back at times.

One other thing that is obvious is that we have zero pace in our side (even if we leave two players up) and therefore need to play to our strengths. I'm not convinced that they way we are going to play is going to suit Rickie... for example. But short, sharp interplay is nice to watch, so long as we go long when needed.

Take our first goal. What did it come from? From a ball played in from the diagonal, 35 yards out...

I've always subscribed to this theory as well, and yet professional managers up and down the country have been bringing every player back for corners for years. I think I heard someone on Goals on Sunday a year or two ago say that the idea behind it was that the more defenders you've got in the area, the harder it is for the opposition to score, but there are clearly major flaws there.

A great performance all round. Can't really fault anyone too much. Chaplow is interesting to have instead of Morgan as he plays an attacking role more than a defensive/holding role.

Guly was fantastic today.

Can they not sell the fancy executive seats at normal centre line prices for just the seat rather than the whole shingding. It annoys me how empty it is every week.

I've always subscribed to this theory as well, and yet professional managers up and down the country have been bringing every player back for corners for years. I think I heard someone on Goals on Sunday a year or two ago say that the idea behind it was that the more defenders you've got in the area, the harder it is for the opposition to score, but there are clearly major flaws there.

With due respect to you Steve, that statement on GOS is absolute ******** and the tactic is the fall back position of the safety first manager who can't see the wood from the trees. Sticking 10 defenders in the penalty area stops goalkeepers from getting to the ball, sheer numbers in the box leads to players not marking properly, thinking somebody else is, (it happened regularly with Saints), No clearance outlet and just invites further pressure, allows 7 at least in the penalty area and a couple more just outside, some of the forwards necessarily used as defenders couldn't mark to save their lives. Leaving two and even three forwards up really stretches the opposition. It means that at least two are defensive, two more must fill the gap in front of them and with one taking the kick a maximum of five attackers are in the penalty area, meaning that five are marked and there are three spare defenders plus a goalkeeper with the space to be able to claim balls in the six yd area with the goal line covered. We have never looked in any difficulty at corners under Adkins but looked in all sorts of trouble previously with 11 in the penalty area and the ball launched into the six yd box.

Adkins is, as far as I am concerned the best manager we have had since the Ted Bates/LM/Chris Nicholl era, including WAG's success, and Hoddle's tactics. We are very much work in progress and there will be a lot more to come. I think our biggest test will to be hang on to him.

Any idiot could have managed this side to a couple of wins in this league - thanks to Cortese's actions we'll never know how well Pardew could have done, but the signs last season were enough for the bookies to make us odds-on for promotion.

Which is not to say Adkins isn't doing well, just that Pardew might have been doing as well or better.

Nice to see all the slowcoaches jumping on the Guly bandwagon as well, what did I say a month or so ago ? Something aong the lines of "He keeps making great runs, but no-one's seeing them to give the ball to him". All credit to him for adding workrate to his obvious ball skills and creativity.

Pardew is a sleaze of the highest order and Cortese was 100% justified in sacking him.

I and those around me must have been watching a different game.

Everyone commented on how Chaplow dominated the Midfield giving the platform for the go forward. He worked his socks off from box to box. In addition to that while captain hammond was silent throughout, Chaplow was constantly talking and directing the play. He's a class act and should be playing every week.

nah tbh i saw it the other way round - chaplow ran about a lot but didn't do much in the tackle and when he had his chance really should have done better. would like to see him play again though

however thought hammond ran the show

nah tbh i saw it the other way round - chaplow ran about a lot but didn't do much in the tackle and when he had his chance really should have done better. would like to see him play again though

however thought hammond ran the show

I think you are nearer the truth but to be fair to the man he's only just come in, is not yet fit or familiar with our style of play or team mates. It takes time but he'll be a good man for the bench as cover for when Hammond and Schneiderlin get their twice-yearly suspensions

Was it Alan Irvine? Because when we played up there recently they pulled all 11 back for a corner at 1-0 down with 10 mins left. Mental.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by stevegrant viewpost-right.png

With due respect to you Steve, that statement on GOS is absolute ******** and the tactic is the fall back position of the safety first manager who can't see the wood from the trees. Sticking 10 defenders in the penalty area stops goalkeepers from getting to the ball, sheer numbers in the box leads to players not marking properly, thinking somebody else is, (it happened regularly with Saints), No clearance outlet and just invites further pressure, allows 7 at least in the penalty area and a couple more just outside, some of the forwards necessarily used as defenders couldn't mark to save their lives. Leaving two and even three forwards up really stretches the opposition. It means that at least two are defensive, two more must fill the gap in front of them and with one taking the kick a maximum of five attackers are in the penalty area, meaning that five are marked and there are three spare defenders plus a goalkeeper with the space to be able to claim balls in the six yd area with the goal line covered. We have never looked in any difficulty at corners under Adkins but looked in all sorts of trouble previously with 11 in the penalty area and the ball launched into the six yd box.

Adkins is, as far as I am concerned the best manager we have had since the Ted Bates/LM/Chris Nicholl era, including WAG's success, and Hoddle's tactics. We are very much work in progress and there will be a lot more to come. I think our biggest test will to be hang on to him.

When you look at some of the top teams and managers who do this, you really are on thin ice with that statement. If they are putting in men around the goalie to restrict him or other players to block defenders you have to respond, depending upon the threat they pose. The only way you can do that is with additional players. The circumstances dictate your approach, there is really no other option. ManU are the classic at this, 1 left up front and the cavalry charge forward when the opposition lose the ball, from the attacking ManU players in defence. Flood the defence and don't give the opposition space, gladly conceding additional corners until they clear their lines and start again from there. You just see too many tactically good teams and managers doing this to go against it not paying off.

Newcastle under Keegan had one of the most effective counter attacks going when defending corners. Ruel Fox would tuck into the defence on the right hand side then burst out to the wing whenever the goalie or defender gained control. A simple chip or throw into that space and Fox was charging down the wing to feed the one solitary attacker or cut the ball back to those arriving late.

Very pleased with the 3 points like every other fan but don't lets too over-confident yet. If we win at Huddersfield on Saturday, then things will look different, but as for Tranmere, the bottom team in the league, several players missing, several very young inexperienced players, with kids in the defence, so a two goal win is just about the least we should have expected. The chances were there for 3, 4 or 5 but not taken, so the problems in front of goal haven't gone away yet. But the boost from this result, the climb up the table, players recovering from injury still improving and another week's training could be enough to get the win next week. But it needs to be a win for fans to feel we are on our way. A draw would show we are OK, but the target for this year and next means we need to be better than just OK.

Did we buy 11 new players some time last week ;)

Outstanding game of football, we actually looked like we once played Premiership football.

Well worth the Season Ticket....COYR :D:D:D:D:D

I know... It was something else wasn't it!

The passing was spot on throughout the game... some of the long range balls to Lallana out on the wing we're incredible and I felt like an excitable child watching us run rings around the tranmere players....

i think Chaplow was very active and did well for most of the game, have to say he did make a couple of bad passes/decisions but generally looked good.

I hope to hear us playing with the same style against Huddersfield on the wireless on saturday ;) :D

I know... It was something else wasn't it!

The passing was spot on throughout the game... some of the long range balls to Lallana out on the wing we're incredible and I felt like an excitable child watching us run rings around the tranmere players....

i think Chaplow was very active and did well for most of the game, have to say he did make a couple of bad passes/decisions but generally looked good.

I hope to hear us playing with the same style against Huddersfield on the wireless on saturday ;) :D

What most impressed me was the amount of options the players created for themselves so as not to play the long ball. From goal kicks the full backs and centre backs were demanding the ball from Kelvin, and every time the defence were in posession there was usually more than one option for a short pass.

Adkins has clearly been getting the message across of how he wants us to play, and the players are clearly taking it on board. I think it also will help our cause massively that, for all of October, we have no midweek games. That means that NA can spend the whole week reinforcing his ideas of our playing style, so hopefully we will continue to improve further. NA has also mentioned that Lambert needs to keep working on his fitness, so its more chance for him to do that.

Very pleased with the 3 points like every other fan but don't lets too over-confident yet. If we win at Huddersfield on Saturday, then things will look different, but as for Tranmere, the bottom team in the league, several players missing, several very young inexperienced players, with kids in the defence, so a two goal win is just about the least we should have expected. The chances were there for 3, 4 or 5 but not taken, so the problems in front of goal haven't gone away yet. But the boost from this result, the climb up the table, players recovering from injury still improving and another week's training could be enough to get the win next week. But it needs to be a win for fans to feel we are on our way. A draw would show we are OK, but the target for this year and next means we need to be better than just OK.

May I ask if you went to the game? Because you seem to be missing a very important point here. Or do I need to be informed that this is another Mr Negative that I have to put up with or face further punishment by the powers of the heirachy?

May I ask if you went to the game? Because you seem to be missing a very important point here. Or do I need to be informed that this is another Mr Negative that I have to put up with or face further punishment by the powers of the heirachy?

What was wrong with Professors post?? It was pretty much bang on the money for me and for what its worth Adkins said more or less the same thing after the game.

As good as we were on Saturday (And we ******* good), Tranmere were poor and if we consistently miss that amount of chances, you can forget promotion.

Very pleased with the 3 points like every other fan but don't lets too over-confident yet. If we win at Huddersfield on Saturday, then things will look different, but as for Tranmere, the bottom team in the league, several players missing, several very young inexperienced players, with kids in the defence, so a two goal win is just about the least we should have expected. .

Might help your post if you got your facts right....they are not bottom.

21 Dag & Red 11 2 2 1 7 7 0 2 4 4 12 -8 10

22 Tranmere 11 1 2 2 4 7 1 2 3 5 10 -8 10

23 Leyton Orient 11 2 1 2 6 5 0 2 4 5 10 -4 9

24 Brentford 11 2 1 3 6 9 0 2 3 1 5 -7 9

Might help your post if you got your facts right....they are not bottom.

21 Dag & Red 11 2 2 1 7 7 0 2 4 4 12 -8 10

22 Tranmere 11 1 2 2 4 7 1 2 3 5 10 -8 10

23 Leyton Orient 11 2 1 2 6 5 0 2 4 5 10 -4 9

24 Brentford 11 2 1 3 6 9 0 2 3 1 5 -7 9

You have to wonder how the fook they got 10 points.

Thanks guys for all the reports: they sound promising. So promising, in fact, that I've just been looking at my diary (and my bank balance:-( ) for the beginning of May! Will I have to make it for then, or for a Wembley play-off final??

Hopefully we won't need the play-offs as the finals are likely to be played at Old Trafford this season because Wembley will be preparing for the Champions League final.

I think we are playing much better under NA and the organisation is much better and some of the players already seem fitter. Due to Guly's emergence we also have something different to unpick teams with and it is pleasing to see a Saints player other than Lallana demanding the ball to feet and the movement around him is so much better than 6 games ago. It also means that we have more options off of the bench (ie Ox-C and Barnard) than we had if we need to change a game which were sorely missed at games like Swindon and Rochdale. What we need now is another wide player with pace, another striker (Connolly will be paid up and released around Xmas IMO) and see if Chaplow can be had for a nominal fee and we will have quite some squad for L1. If Guly keeps this up when the weather turns nastier, I'd definately want to extend his deal beyond January.

Lambert 2nd in top scorers in this league with 5 and he has been far from top form...shows class that

In this case i think it just show's we've had 3 pens and he scored a deflected freekick :) But agreed he is class just not 100% at the moment...

You have to wonder how the fook they got 10 points.

Like this I guess!, some good results there, against teams looking to be at the top, come the seasons end.

Sat 14 15:00 A Huddersfield FL1 D 0-0

Sat 28 15:00 A Dagenham & R FL1 D 2-2

Sat 4 15:00 H Peterborough FL1 W 1-0

Sat 18 15:00 H Charlton FL1 D 1-1

Tue 28 19:45 A Bristol Rovers FL1 W 1-0

Sat 2 15:00 H Brighton FL1 D 1-1

Spot on. A good result and we played some nice stuff but it's one win against Tranmere we haven't just turnned over man U in the cup or something. The lack of killer instinct in front of goal is my main worry at the moment, we should have had a lot more goals against a team with a make shift defence made up of youth players. Last week against Bompey we dominated yet had to rely on two soft penalties to get the result. If we can get the goal scoring addressed I'll be a lot more confident.

Spot on. A good result and we played some nice stuff but it's one win against Tranmere we haven't just turnned over man U in the cup or something. The lack of killer instinct in front of goal is my main worry at the moment, we should have had a lot more goals against a team with a make shift defence made up of youth players. Last week against Bompey we dominated yet had to rely on two soft penalties to get the result. If we can get the goal scoring addressed I'll be a lot more confident.

I think as others have mentioned though its not just about the fact we were playing Tranmere, the team as a whole looked happier, more confident and generally worked as more of a team than I've seen for a while. The passing was much better too. The same can be said for the bournemuff game. The tester will be huddersfield as the players will have to fight harder and it might be adkins first test if its deadlock way into the second half...

I think as others have mentioned though its not just about the fact we were playing Tranmere, the team as a whole looked happier, more confident and generally worked as more of a team than I've seen for a while. The passing was much better too. The same can be said for the bournemuff game. The tester will be huddersfield as the players will have to fight harder and it might be adkins first test if its deadlock way into the second half...

Yes there has been steady improvement since Nigel came and we played very well. The players proved last season they have what it takes to get results in this division what ever went wrong at the start of this season has been sorted by getting a manager in place again (rather than totally out of his depth coach). I think what Nigel is doing is great but I still feel we need to be more clinical in front of goal squandering chances may well cost us points against the better teams in the division.

Yes there has been steady improvement since Nigel came and we played very well. The players proved last season they have what it takes to get results in this division what ever went wrong at the start of this season has been sorted by getting a manager in place again (rather than totally out of his depth coach). I think what Nigel is doing is great but I still feel we need to be more clinical in front of goal squandering chances may well cost us points against the better teams in the division.

The dodgy start to the season has taught me a lot. I didnt realise just how much of an impact the manager had on how well the team plays. Before the sh!t hit the fan I was of the oppinion that its the same team out there as last season (pretty much) so theres no excuse for the shocking results we were getting when pardew left. How wrong I was. I take my hat off to Adkins for the impact he has had in only the few weeks he has been with us. I was gobsmacked by how badly we played under Dean Wilkins and it really made me realise what having the wrong person in charge does to a side..