Tranmere post match reaction

Badger

What a bloody great performance. :D Glad I made the journey for that.

Guly wonderful, Puncheon class, special mention for Seabourne who didn't hoof it once and really impressed me, Fonte is too good for this league and Davis disgraceful - he didn't touch the ball once ( ;) )

Can't really add much more to what others have posted really. Brilliant.

bloody hell were Tranmere poor. They reminded me very much of the Stockport side that went down last season, where they had pretty much resigned to losing before the game had started. We ran the game from start to finish, it was so one sided it's not true. Putting the poor opposition to one side, I thought we were tremendous. On another day it could have been a rout. It was a rout, just not on the score sheet. I'm quite glad about that as it keeps our feet on the ground and perhaps Huddersfield won't know whats hit them, like last time. Boy has Adkins got us playing it out from the back. Its like the Dutch duo all over again, only this time we have some players to work with. I was very glad at the appointment, I saw how good Scunny were at their place a couple of times, and it looks like he may do the same with us.

Davis 6 - one excellent kick to Harding, one extremely risky kick to the same player. Nothing much to do other than a routine stop straight at him.

Butterfield 7 - solid defensively. One or two poor balls chipped down the line to no one, one of which Guly turned into a good one followed by sublime cross for the goal. Busy throughout. Clearly lacks a yard of pace but positional sense is decent.

Harding 6 Didn't do all that much going forward in my eyes. Solid enough defensively as always, although he sometimes wants a little too long on the ball. Very minor criticism though. You'll never beat the Harding, is a song that would fit him in my book.

Fonte 8 didn't put a foot wrong. Great passing out from the back today - was given time mind you. Has dived in far too much in recent games but not today. Never worked though as they sat back.

Seabourne 8 Talented on the ball, showed that with a lovely first touch bringing down a lofted high ball. Passed it out well. If he could win a few headers he'd be a top notch centre back. Didn't need to do that today though as was not worked.

Hammond 8 holding role suited him. Never ever gave it away. What more can you ask?

Chaplow 8 Tremendous running off the ball, stretching them time after time. Created lots of openings and space and got into the box a lot. A few misplaced passes and at full pace he didn't always collect. Only criticism is he was not strong enough in the tackle. Tired a little towards the end as you'd expect.

Punchon 9 In the last couple of games he has stopped ball hogging and is passing much earlier. Suddenly we have the player I saw at Barnet. Top notch and a real threat throughout. Tackled back hard. Just needs to try using his right (having got to the byeline) every now and then to keep their full back honest.

Lallana 8 Tremendous finish. Very composed when a skyer might have been on the cards. Lots of tricks and the usual great conrol. The killer turn and cross wasn't quite there today, but his quality is certainly freeing up space for others.

Lambert 6 decent header for the goal and as soon as the cross went in you felt sure he would score. That's how highly we regard him. Right at the end he seemed to find his touch again, but for much (not all) of the game he still looked average with some terrible first touches and poor headers. Certainly an improvement, but next week he will need to do more as they won't roll over.

Guly 10 Tremendous. Two woeful touches at the start then after that he didn't do anything that you weren't commending. Silky in possession, great holding it up, high workrate, a bit of pace, strength, and some skills too. Great vision and he created both goals. I hve to say that they gave him far too much room, but he moved well into the space making him hard to pick up. Brilliant display. I was dissapointed he tired at the end and had to go off. He was in the groove by that point.

Barnard - Busy and unlucky with the offside goal.

Chamberlian - lots of pace, he is going to be some player

Holmes - great chance missed on his wrong foot

Edited by Chez

Any idiot could have managed this side to a couple of wins in this league - thanks to Cortese's actions we'll never know how well Pardew could have done, but the signs last season were enough for the bookies to make us odds-on for promotion.

Which is not to say Adkins isn't doing well, just that Pardew might have been doing as well or better.

Nice to see all the slowcoaches jumping on the Guly bandwagon as well, what did I say a month or so ago ? Something aong the lines of "He keeps making great runs, but no-one's seeing them to give the ball to him". All credit to him for adding workrate to his obvious ball skills and creativity.

:adore::adore::adore::adore:

Any idiot could have managed this side to a couple of wins in this league - thanks to Cortese's actions we'll never know how well Pardew could have done, but the signs last season were enough for the bookies to make us odds-on for promotion.

Which is not to say Adkins isn't doing well, just that Pardew might have been doing as well or better.

Nice to see all the slowcoaches jumping on the Guly bandwagon as well, what did I say a month or so ago ? Something aong the lines of "He keeps making great runs, but no-one's seeing them to give the ball to him". All credit to him for adding workrate to his obvious ball skills and creativity.

To me there is a world of difference, both say the same things about how they want the game played and how disgusted they are when players don't follow directions. The difference is that Adkins gets the message through. Looking at a lot of things the players are actually now doing are the things Pardew talked about but never seemed to be able to stick.

As for the bookies, my picks were Saints and Peterborough for automatic, on the simple basis they had more money to spend than the opposition. Not that difficult for this league.

I seem to think that over the last few years we have been longing for a playmaker. We seem to have found one in Guly, although he wasn't a CM as maybe we expected. He arrived here as a "Number 10" as they call them on the continent, somebody who collects, distributes and possibly arrives late into the box.

With his background I expected him to be good when he finally got to play in the position he is used to, but I didn't expect him to be that good. With all the silky skills one could expect him not to be terribly efficient, but there was a thought behind every move, every backheel, every twist and turn. Now, when exactly did I see something like that in a Saints team? What I want to see is him now playing regularly so that the others around him gets used to the unexpected moves he makes happen. In this league, and in the next, this guy could be deadly. MoM? Oh yes!

Other good things is that Hammond now looks like a proper footballer with a purpose around him, Lallana is back nearly to full fitness, Lambert looking a little bit more agile, Puncheon just about starting to play as part of the team, etc. NA has given the whole team a lot of confidence very quickly.

I walked away with a feeling that I wonder if any team can live with us when we're playing like this...Then I remembered that Tranmere wasn't a very good side, but then again, how many will look like good sides when they play us if we perform like this. The optimism by folk around us was palpable. We can look forward again, and possibly believe that we will get promoted this season.

My small question marks are very small indeed. Chaplow looked like he hadn't played much for a while. His passing wasn't very crisp, and he looked like he was looking for a role on the side of Hammond, which is probably not very surprising. I can't see him keeping Schneiderlin out. Butterfield is Ok, especially comparing with the lack of right backs we've had for a while, but he is rather one dimensional. With Richardson coming back fit I wonder if it will take long before we'll see him. And I think that's all.

Upwards and onwards, then!

Great performance. The best we've played this season, no question.

Do Prado looked a class act. Maybe he's finally starting to find his feet? My MOTM today.

Lallana was impressive as ever, great to see him nearing full fitness.

Lambert looked a lot better today too. His body language was much improved and he seemed up for it. Tidy header to boot.

Chaplow provided an attacking option in midfield, making some clever forward runs.

A thoroughly enjoyable game, my favourite of the season. Was a real pleasure to watch and the only surprise was that we didn't score more!

Roll on Huddersfield.

Dont think ive ever seen such agreement and positive comments over a saints match before, even though we've won by more than two before and against better opposition.

For the first time I was sat there actually contemplating the thought of us being back in the premiership playing with such class. There's plenty of teams in the prem who play a lot worse than that.

Thank you saints for making my weekend!

Scott are really telling me we would be playing the same style of football under Pardew?

I must have been in some weird alternative universe at the begining of this season then as we are light years away from some of those dire performances!

All opinions i suppose

Saints were superb, Guly ran the show and it's always good to see Lallana and Puncheon swap positions throughout the game, thus never allowing their defenders to relax and get used to their runs and movement.

It should be the same starting XI next week, but would suspect Morgan may come back in instead of Chaplow.

Well done to the referee today as well, whomever he was? If indeed there was one out there? :)

Dont think ive ever seen such agreement and positive comments over a saints match before, even though we've won by more than two before and against better opposition.

For the first time I was sat there actually contemplating the thought of us being back in the premiership playing with such class. There's plenty of teams in the prem who play a lot worse than that.

Keep your feet on the ground fella - Tranmere were the worst team I have ever seen at SMS. Not saying it wont happen, things are definately looking very positive, but we will need to beat teams of a vastly much better level than the dross that were Tranmere.

It was a good game and result but I think we should temper that with the fact that this was a very poor Tranmere side, when we play the Posh or Brighton off the pitch like that I'll start thinking about the championship again. As for the Prem we played the worse side in the prem last year and still lost 4-1 a poor prem side is still a lot better than a good league one side.

really good team display today everyone excelled, except chaplow who i didn't think had that much impact. while not MOTM, special mention in dispatches for puncheon who worked really hard - clearly better on that side and has a better relationship with butterfield than with harding

also after scoring i thought Lambert came alive... he touch was soooo much better.... shows u what a bit of confidence can do eh....

COYR

Today's performance was a joy to watch. Top drawer football. To say Chaplow had little impact is the most inaccurate post/opinion I've seen in years..........Chaplow linked almost every move today. He must have seen more of the ball than any other player on the pitch. Also made great runs into the box, causing havoc on a two or three occasions. The whole team was excellent and so was Chaplow....

I've done a fair amount of moaning this season about things that have happened off the field that have annoyed me but I walked out of St Mary's today with a huge grin on my face. I know Tranmere were poor but make no mistake we were sheer class. A terrific performance and the passing was great. Let me put my vote behind Guly as MOTM. He looked tremendous and is far far above this league if today's performance is correct. Everone played very well and it won't be long before someone in this league is going to get a real hiding. With a bit more clinical finishing it could have been Tranmere today. NA looks to be getting a real buzz from this team and I'm absolutly delighted.

Not sure if this has been on another thread but is NA gettting Saints playing towards the Northam in the 2nd half ? last week Bournemouth played towards Northam first half (guess they won toss ) but to day we must have won the toss as they kicked off and we played towards the Northam 2nd half ps hope this continues !

Sumptuous football, the best that I have seen for a very long time.

That just about sums up todays game. Tranmere were not crap we just had them chasing shadows all afternoon, they quickly worked out that they better keep the score respectable.

Guly was great today, when the ball was played out to the corner in the build up to the first goal you thought initially "chuffin hell who was that to!!??" next thing you know Guly is there in a flash tee'ing up for Rickie to head home (boy did that header have some frustration behind it).

When someone said Nigel Adkins was in the frame for manager with us I was more than delighted, he must be in heaven himself because, no disrespect to Scunny, he has a great set of players to work with without the budget restrictions he has done miracles with before.

What a treat 2 weeks running to come home from a very pleasing Saints performance.

That just about sums up todays game. Tranmere were not crap we just had them chasing shadows all afternoon, they quickly worked out that they better keep the score respectable.

Guly was great today, when the ball was played out to the corner in the build up to the first goal you thought initially "chuffin hell who was that to!!??" next thing you know Guly is there in a flash tee'ing up for Rickie to head home (boy did that header have some frustration behind it).

When someone said Nigel Adkins was in the frame for manager with us I was more than delighted, he must be in heaven himself because, no disrespect to Scunny, he has a great set of players to work with without the budget restrictions he has done miracles with before.

What a treat 2 weeks running to come home from a very pleasing Saints performance.

No they really were crap. Not trying to take anything away from a good performace but against a better team we would have rued the many chances we didn't captalise on.

Keep your feet on the ground fella - Tranmere were the worst team I have ever seen at SMS. Not saying it wont happen, things are definately looking very positive, but we will need to beat teams of a vastly much better level than the dross that were Tranmere.

I based my comment on the last two games really. We walked all over Bournemouth too (didn't think I'd ever think that was a particularly great achievement) but Bournemouth have had a great start to the season and we did them whilst they were in form.

But yeah don't worry I'm not getting carried away, this is saints afterall ;-)

I based my comment on the last two games really. We walked all over Bournemouth too (didn't think I'd ever think that was a particularly great achievement) but Bournemouth have had a great start to the season and we did them whilst they were in form.

But yeah don't worry I'm not getting carried away, this is saints afterall ;-)

Yeah I know what you mean mate. If we keep playing like this then I will probably find myself dreaming of greater things too. I just hope that we can keep it going and keep dominating like that at SMS. I didn't mean to sound like a negative bastard, but I just feel that too many people on here think we are world beaters when, in fact, we beat what looked like a relegation candidate.............for the Blue Square...

Tranmere were crap and showed very little ambition to actually win the game (they had a whole ONE player in our area when they had a corner in the first half, allowing us to leave two players on the halfway line), but that sort of game has still been our problem for years, and it's a test we passed very comfortably.

Good to see Guly get a start, and he certainly justified that selection with a great performance, and shows that sometimes it genuinely does just take a bit of time for players to settle in.

For the second week running, I can't think of anyone who had a bad game, Lambert looks like he's getting somewhere approaching full fitness and sharpness - quite what the story is there, I'm not too sure, but it's been a big problem for us which we're now hopefully overcoming.

The biggest improvement I've noticed since Adkins arrived has been Dan Seaborne. Previously, he seemed to lack the confidence to do anything other than take a touch and then launch the ball to Lambert's head. Obviously that's not been particularly fruitful this season, and also not really the way that's likely to help us win games, so credit to him for adapting and becoming more confident with the ball at his feet.

Next week will be a massive benchmark to see where we stand. Huddersfield have had some iffy form lately (today aside), so they're still going to be a bit vulnerable, but they are still one of the promotion favourites, and it'll be a harder test than the two sides we've played in the last 7 days who have barely turned up at St Mary's.

Tranmere were crap and showed very little ambition to actually win the game (they had a whole ONE player in our area when they had a corner in the first half, allowing us to leave two players on the halfway line), but that sort of game has still been our problem for years, and it's a test we passed very comfortably.

Good to see Guly get a start, and he certainly justified that selection with a great performance, and shows that sometimes it genuinely does just take a bit of time for players to settle in.

For the second week running, I can't think of anyone who had a bad game, Lambert looks like he's getting somewhere approaching full fitness and sharpness - quite what the story is there, I'm not too sure, but it's been a big problem for us which we're now hopefully overcoming.

The biggest improvement I've noticed since Adkins arrived has been Dan Seaborne. Previously, he seemed to lack the confidence to do anything other than take a touch and then launch the ball to Lambert's head. Obviously that's not been particularly fruitful this season, and also not really the way that's likely to help us win games, so credit to him for adapting and becoming more confident with the ball at his feet.

Next week will be a massive benchmark to see where we stand. Huddersfield have had some iffy form lately (today aside), so they're still going to be a bit vulnerable, but they are still one of the promotion favourites, and it'll be a harder test than the two sides we've played in the last 7 days who have barely turned up at St Mary's.

most level headed comment I have heard all season! My hopes are rising!

Yeah I know what you mean mate. If we keep playing like this then I will probably find myself dreaming of greater things too. I just hope that we can keep it going and keep dominating like that at SMS. I didn't mean to sound like a negative bastard, but I just feel that too many people on here think we are world beaters when, in fact, we beat what looked like a relegation candidate.............for the Blue Square...

If you take into account the fact that we still have a lot of the key players from last season who were getting 5-0, 5-1, 3-1 results throughout the season then there's no reason we can't get out of this league this season. I don't think we do particularly bad against championship sides either so I think we'd be ok there. Especially with our latest additions.

I know it's one step at a time and I know it was only tranmere but last season and the last couple of games following the manager issue being sorted has left me with renewed optimism. Which is saying something as your not the negative bastard, I am ;-)

I agree with all of that. :)

A lot of posters saying how poor Tranmere are,I had the misfortune to watch Bton Bmuff today and they are also both poor sides, top six ffs,what do people expect in the third tier,make no mistake we have the best squad in this division coupled with a manager who seems to know that football is best played on the deck, the playoffs although welcome would in my humble opinion be a failure for this side.

Brighton have been very fortunate with the run of fixtures they've been given at the start of the season, IMO. Before today, only 2 of their 10 games had been against teams in the top half. They drew at home to Rochdale, and lost at Sheffield Wednesday. As you say, they didn't really show much in today's game that would concern me. Bournemouth failed to muster a single shot on target until the last-minute penalty (what an incredible decision that was, by the way), and yet they were barely deserving of the lead.

Peterborough, despite all their goals, have failed to go unbeaten for more than two consecutive league games so far. Before today, Huddersfield had lost three in a row (without scoring), and Sheffield Wednesday have looked way below par after a decent first month.

This league is ripe for the taking - if we can build a bit of momentum with the wins we're now starting to pick up, it could be difficult for anyone else to stay with us.

Guly was brilliant.

BBC site has posession as 53% Saints, 47 % Tranmere........ would love to know how THAt was calculated !!

It is clearly wrong. Tranmere hardly touched the ball.

That surprised me too, thought it would have been closer to 70-30!

think its about right - their keeper had the ball a lot!

Kelvin - 7 - Only one save to make but did well to hold onto it. Played one fantastic pass to Harding from a goal kick to nearly set up a goal.

Harding - 7 - Usual solid, effective self. Mostly dealt with their big right winger in the air, easing him under it most of the time. Should've done better with his early chance.

Seaborne - 8 -Lost out in the air a couple of times but some great passes along the deck from defence. Have been very impressed with him in the last few games after an indifferent start when he joined last season.

Fonte - 8 - Very good as usual. Like how he is confident to dribble the ball out through the middle and to wait for the right pass.

Butterfield - 8 - Ditto Fonte and Harding - solid as usual. Fantastic cross for Rickie's goal.

Lallana - 8 - Created some great stuff with his trickery to get crosses in. Well taken goal.

Hammond - 9 - Real captain's performance. Always seemed to be available and wanting the ball and passed pretty well when he did get it.

Chaplow - 7 - Didn't really notice him too much to be honest. Passing seemed good when he did get it though. Missed a sitter near the end. Schneiderlin back next week please.

Puncheon - 7 - One of his best games for us in a long time. Starting to look like the player he was when he first joined us last season. Hope it continues.

Guly - 9.5 MOTM - Fantastic. Some of his flicks and passing and running was sublime. Comfortable on the ball, quick, determined to win the ball back, ran himself into the ground. Like Lallana is a creative spark to help us unlock stubborn defences. Fantastic, hope he can keep this up and then we can sign him in January.

Lambert - 9 - Best game in a long time. Well-taken goal, looked 100% better than last week with some fantastic control, holding up and link-up play.

Overall - 9 - A joy to watch. Long may it continue!!

I parked my car at 12ish to walk into town. A Tranmere supporter saw my shirt and asked for directions to the stadium. Having thanked me, he wished us luck, adding that Tranmere were crap. Just how crap, I found out three hours later, or could it be that we made them look crap?

For me, that was the most entertaining football I have seen at St Mary's stadium for some time. I can't remember the last time that Saints played with such width and how bloody effective it was! Under Pardew in particular, it always used to annoy the hell out of me to watch the teams both squeezed into one half of the pitch, end to end for much of the game. Sometimes the better opposition managers would spot it in the first half and place one or two players out wide, a ball would come to them and we were opened up with ease. For a team of skilled players, good passers of the ball, it was a criminal waste of our assets. Lower teams in our division would park the proverbial bus in front of their goal and invite us to break them down, so Pardew's answer was hoofball.

Adkins obviously sees it differently, thank God and his strategy has started to bear fruit, now that the players are becoming used to playing the game his way. His team plays with width and plays the ball out of defence. If one flank becomes conjested, the ball is played right across the pitch to the other flank. The opponents have to add cover out wide in defence, thus opening up the centre to attack. Our wide players, Lallana and Puncheon had a field day today, marauding down both wings, with Harding and Butterfield supporting, they got behind Tranmere's rearguard and put in cross after cross for the strikers. With better finishing, we should have had five or six, but Lambert still isn't his old self, or he would have had another couple, Barnard and Chaplow also should have scored easy chances.

Hard to name a man of the match, as there were several great performances. Guly seems to be most effective up front and many times Tranmere gave the impression that he was unplayable. He and Lallana forged a great partnership. Puncheon gave one of the best performances that I've seen from him in a Saints shirt. Lallana was also very effective, even though probably not quite up to his best since his injury yet. Chaplow was a rock in midfield, full of energy and industry an able replacement for Schneiderlin. Barnard also looked as if he needed to make a point probably after the events a week ago and it is good that on today's performance, Guly excelled, giving Adkins options and putting pressure on Lambert and Barnard. With Chamberlain also a bright prospect, Holmes and Richardson also available as additional options and Bignall also to feature, we now have the strength in depth to move up this division.

Did I imagine it, or did I gain a true impression that there is some real team spirit in this squad? Although it was lowly Tranmere that we beat with ease, I really do begin to believe that playing in that style, we could beat any team in this division and dare I say it, most of the teams in the Championship too.

Thanks Wes, and to many others for the encouraging and detailed analysis of the game. The lift in mood among supporters after a couple of good displays comes through to this forum, and it's great for ex-pats to pick up on that. Watching the Brighton v Bournmouth game tonight made me think they are not promotion threats judged on their display.

So good to hear that Guly clicked; Puncheon hitting form and Fonte back to his best. Where did Guly play today? Up front with Ricky or central Mid. ?

I and those around me must have been watching a different game.

Everyone commented on how Chaplow dominated the Midfield giving the platform for the go forward. He worked his socks off from box to box. In addition to that while captain hammond was silent throughout, Chaplow was constantly talking and directing the play. He's a class act and should be playing every week.

At last we've got real competition in midfield. Chaplow showed how much distance box to box midfielders have to cover. Neither Hammond nor Schneiderlin have that level of play and are happier moving the ball short distances. Very interesting combination up front between Lambert playing slightly deeper and Guly using his immense pace over the last few paces to dispossess defenders who simply don't see him coming. As someone said earlier we now have virtually a full League 3 team on the bench. Think the challenge for a top place might still come from Sheff Wed now they heve got over the embarrassment of being in such a low league for such a massive club. Any chance we mght be playing Liverpool or Everton next season?

To cover the handcuffs and ABSO tag?

What sort of reception did he get when he came on - mixed or complete support?

Hard to tell as he replaced Guly who went off to a standing ovation and his name being chanted, I think he got a cheer though and the Northam gave him some chants (I think it was the one about being wanted by scotland yard so I'm not sure if that counts as support). He did get a cheer when his name was read out before the match and aloud of clapping when he was warming up. So all in all I think he was generally supported by SMS.

At last we've got real competition in midfield. Chaplow showed how much distance box to box midfielders have to cover. Neither Hammond nor Schneiderlin have that level of play and are happier moving the ball short distances. Very interesting combination up front between Lambert playing slightly deeper and Guly using his immense pace over the last few paces to dispossess defenders who simply don't see him coming. As someone said earlier we now have virtually a full League 3 team on the bench. Think the challenge for a top place might still come from Sheff Wed now they heve got over the embarrassment of being in such a low league for such a massive club. Any chance we mght be playing Liverpool or Everton next season?

Having watched The highlights on the football league show I think Wednesday have a long long way to go. Totally out played by Orient at home got one goal against the run of play. Irvine looked embarressed that his side had won.

Was very pleased with the way we went about our work yesterday - ball on the floor, build from the back, defend from the front, quick movement in midfield. I though Hammond was superb - when we had the ball he made himself available. When they had the ball he was picking up or harrying the ball carrier. Also was constantly talking - a real skipper yesterday. Thought Chaplow did well considering he cannot be match fit - Morgan needs to look over his shoulder. As for Tranmere being rubbish - no they weren't great but lets not take that away from us as I feel we made them look worse than they really are due to our total dominance and fantastic close passing.

All in all a good day at the office - now on to next week. COYRAWM!