Championship Summer 2011 HCDAJFU

Lighthouse

Absolutely right. What a pretty appalling selection of players. Like they came from some out of date FM or fans who'd had a severe bang on the head and had gone back 5 years.

Precisely...Bullard? Benjani? Beattie?...what sort of club do people want?? one made up of old has beens or one looking forward and with a bright future?

In 2007 Derby signed 29 year old Oakley, 33 year old Darren Moore and 30 year old Howard, who formed the spine of a team which beat our £30m rated squad to the Premier League.

Assuming they are fit and motivated, there is plenty of room for some older players in our squad.

In 2007 Derby signed 29 year old Oakley, 33 year old Darren Moore and 30 year old Howard, who formed the spine of a team which beat our £30m rated squad to the Premier League.

Assuming they are fit and motivated, there is plenty of room for some older players in our squad.

And both Oakley and Howard were key members of the team/squad that took Leicester within a c*nt's hair of promotion to the premiership in 2010.

Would love to see Giles Barnes if he's on a free. Was class back before our relegation to L1.

St Ledger isn't a bad option to have at center back but wouldn't be a fantastic signing.

For a CM i wouldn't mind seeing lee williamson from Sheffield U. Was good a few years back but not sure what he's like these days.

Also up front Ched Evans would be a good signing, might be overpriced though seeing as Sheffield payed 3 million for him. If not maybe Ian Hume now Preston are down?

Don't expect world class signings for big money because it wont happen.

Precisely...Bullard? Benjani? Beattie?...what sort of club do people want?? one made up of old has beens or one looking forward and with a bright future?

Personally I think a smattering of experience mixed with a few talented youngsters is the main recipe for getting out of the NPC. Heck just look at when the blue few went up, they had Merson and Sherwood in the side IIRC.

Who would you suggest we sign?

Sorry but no, has had a number of off the field issues involving drinking plenty & is barred from numerous pubs & bars in Edinburgh, does seem to have settled down a bit this year but rumour is he'll be at St Johnstone next season. (can't remember where I heard that one so probably completely off the mark!)

Edited by Gorgiesaint

From Glasgows prem list (don't know how up to date), All ambitious but....

Pantsil & Carr would be good additions at RB

Bowyer or Murphy (unlikely) would run our midfield

Gabbidon or Craddock would partner Jose

Kamara or Roberts would add pace and experience

Personally I think a smattering of experience mixed with a few talented youngsters is the main recipe for getting out of the NPC. Heck just look at when the blue few went up, they had Merson and Sherwood in the side IIRC.

Who would you suggest we sign?

But we already have a fair smattering of experience. We are not a young side. We maybe need a reasonably experienced midfield general which quite a few of us have been harping on about for some time but not some old has-been who's probably going to spend half the season injured. I don't have anyone in particular in mind but I'm not out there scouting. It's just that most of the names mentioned on this thread would be pushed to get in our present side and would do nothing to assist our aim of building a team for the premier league.

Would love to see Giles Barnes if he's on a free. Was class back before our relegation to L1.

St Ledger isn't a bad option to have at center back but wouldn't be a fantastic signing.

For a CM i wouldn't mind seeing lee williamson from Sheffield U. Was good a few years back but not sure what he's like these days.

Also up front Ched Evans would be a good signing, might be overpriced though seeing as Sheffield payed 3 million for him. If not maybe Ian Hume now Preston are down?

Don't expect world class signings for big money because it wont happen.

Funny you should mention those two. I am currently having some banter with some Blades on their site - I used to live in Sheffield as a student and am sympathising with their current plight. They reckon Evans is a waste of space as are most of the players that let them down so badly. Don't know about Williamson, I will ask them. BT was considered a waste of space and a huge drain on resources at £35K a week too. I think we can do better than any of their players, many of whom are on £25,000+ a week - which is probably why they are where they are financially right now.

I think we should sign a new "spine" to the team.

Keeper: Shay Given would be great for two years but unlikely. A highly rated mid twenties like w******d or Lewis may be ideal.

Center-Back: a younger jaidi, strong and powerful in the air but with more pace. Wes Newton may fit the bill.

C-mid: jack cork would get my vote or even Guthrie. Definitely someone who has been playing regularly for a couple of years at least and some Prem experience.

Striker: someone better than we have, Danny Graham or CMS wotld be my choice.

Billy Jones from Preston would be a good bet. Would certainly be available with Preston's relegation, and would improve one of our weaker positions (I don't see Butterfield as first-choice over the course of a NPC season, and Richardson has been spectacularly unimpressive). Is renowned for his 'leadership' abilities on the pitch and reads the game very well.

Some of the names that people are suggesting are ridiculous - anyone who is/has been a regular premiership player is going to be miles out of our league financially.

Billy Jones from Preston would be a good bet. Would certainly be available with Preston's relegation, and would improve one of our weaker positions (I don't see Butterfield as first-choice over the course of a NPC season, and Richardson has been spectacularly unimpressive). Is renowned for his 'leadership' abilities on the pitch and reads the game very well.

Some of the names that people are suggesting are ridiculous - anyone who is/has been a regular premiership player is going to be miles out of our league financially.

You are forgetting that some people on here think we are the most attractive side for a player to join outside of those playing in the champions league and that was when they had a season in L1 to look forward to, by that reckoning only Man United and Chelsea are more attractive now.

benjani

given

beattie

o'hara

feck the lord...what is wrong with people

Indeed Jamie, as the most attractive side in the country apart from those playing champions league football we could do better than those has beens. FFS.

benjani

given

beattie

o'hara

feck the lord...what is wrong with people

O'hara and Given have both performed well in the Prem over last two seasons so absolutely no chance of getting them. What's wrong with you?

It will be interesting to see if Cortese buys anyone for Adkins

The general feeling is Papa Waigo and Guly were brought to the club by Cortese and not Pardew, so we could see some very unexpected signings

Indeed - and when you think that we were signing players from Serie A clubs whilst in the third tier I am pretty excited about who Cortese can bag us now.

What?

Seriously, wtf?!

We don't have anyone who can take a consistently decent corner. Lambert is our best free-kick taker and he'd often be better placed in the box.

Thanks for your constructive, well reasoned post.

We don't have anyone who can take a consistently decent corner. Lambert is our best free-kick taker and he'd often be better placed in the box.

Thanks for your constructive, well reasoned post.

We've scored loads of goals from corners this season.

We've scored loads of goals from corners this season.

Have we seriously? Try looking at the amount of times our corners fly over the box or fail to beat the first man. With big lads like Fonte, Jaidi and Lambert corners and free kicks should be a major weapon.

Below is a list of current Championship players that are out of contract this summer, some interesting possibilities that would not cost any money to bring and therefore just wages. Any views on HCDAJFU

Barnsley

Martin Devaney

ANDY GRAY

MATT HILL

Garry O'Connor

David Preece

Bristol City

LOUIS CAREY

LEE JOHNSON

Ivan Sproule

Stephen Henderson

John Akinde

Pat Hoban

Jimmy Keohane

Joe Edwards

Danny Ball

Burnley

WADE EILLOT

Chris McCann

STEVEN THOMPSON

Kevin McDonald

Remco van der Schaaf

Cardiff

Jay Bothroyd

Chris Burke

Adam Matthews

Gavin Rae

Coventry

Nathan Cameron

Lee Carsley

Jordan Clarke

Aron Gunnarsson

Danny Ireland

Marlon King

MICHAEL MCINDOE

Stephen O'Halloran

Isaac Osbourne

Kieren W******d

Connor Grogan

Shaun Jeffers

Michael Quirke

Crystal Palace

NEIL DANNS

Claude Davis

Steffen Iversen

Stuart O'Keefe

Kieran Djilali

Derby

Michael Boulding

Saul Deeney

Chris Porter

Doncaster

Steve Brooker

James Chambers

Paul Keegan

Dean Shiels

Dennis Souza

Neill Sullivan

Wayne Thomas

Ryan Burge

Byron Webster

Hull

Nick Barmby

Matt Duke

Craig Fagan

Richard Garcia

Mark Oxley

Nolberto Solano

Kevin Kilbane

Anthony Gardner

Will Atkinson

Ipswich

Troy Brown

Damien Delaney

Tom Eastman

Carlos Edwards

Colin Healy

Conor Hourihane

Luke Hyam

Arran Lee-Barrett

GARETH MCAULEY

Brian Murphy

DAVID NORRIS

Alan Quinn

Kevin Lisbie

Pablo Counago

Leeds

Shane Higgs

BRADLEY JOHNSON

Neil Kilkenny

Patrick Kisnorbo

Richard Naylor

Zac Thompson

Will Hatfield

Leicester

Ricardo

Aleksandar Tunchev

Darius Vassell

Middlesbrough

JULIO ARCA

Danny Coyne

Willo Flood

Andrew Taylor

Millwall

Shaun Batt

Hameur Bouazza

Danny Schofield

Marc Laird

Andy Frampton

John Sullivan

Norwich

Jens Berthel Askou

Matthew Gill

Josh Dawkin

Sam Habergham

Matthew Ball

Notts Forest

Dele Adebola

Julian Bennett

Robert Earnshaw

Guy Moussi

Zannetos Mytides

Nialle Rodney

Portsmouth

Michael Brown

Nadir Ciftci

Darryl Flahavan

Hermann Hreidarsson

Richard Hughes

David Nugent

Danny Webber

Peter Gregory

Tom Kilbey

Preston

Andreas Arestidou

Chris Brown

Darren Carter

Jamie Douglas

BILLY JONES

Neal Trotman

QPR

Radek Cerny

Pascal Chimbonda

Heidar Helguson

Peter Ramage

Martin Rowlands

Danny ****tu

Georgios Tofas

Gavin Mahon

Reading

Brynjar Gunnarsson

Ivar Ingimarsson

Hal Robson-Kanu

S****horpe United

David Mirfin

JOE MURPHY

Eddie Nolan

Sam Slocombe

Josh Wright

Paris Cowan-Hall

Ian Morris

Sheffield United

Ryan France

Rob Kozluk

Swansea

Ferrie Bodde

Thomas Butler

Dorus de Vries

Yves Ma-Kalambay

Darren Pratley

Angel Rangel

Albert Serran

Cederic Van der Gun

Gorka Pintado

Watford

Dale Bennett

Don Cowie

Matt Whichelow

Nathan Ellington

Rob Kiernan

Matt Sadler

Have we seriously? Try looking at the amount of times our corners fly over the box or fail to beat the first man. With big lads like Fonte, Jaidi and Lambert corners and free kicks should be a major weapon.

Compared to previous seasons and managers, weve been fantastic from set pieces this season.

Compared to previous seasons and managers, weve been fantastic from set pieces this season.

Yet we still don't have a consistently good corner taker. It's the one flaw Lallana has shown this season. And we will be dealing with bigger and more physical teams next season. We want to utilise Lambert in the box a bit more.

Ans now the current Premiership players that will also be available on a free

ARSENAL

Manuel Almunia

ASTON VILLA

Brad Friedel

Andy Marshall

Eric Lichaj

Luke Young

Isaiah Osbourne

Robert Pires

Nigel Reo-Coker

Moustapha Salifou

John Carew

BIRMINGHAM

Colin Doyle

Maik Taylor

Stephen Carr

Martin Jiranek

David Murphy

Stuart Parnaby

Lee Bowyer

Sebastian Larsson

James McFadden

Jordon Mutch

Kevin Phillips

BLACKBURN

Pascal Chimbonda

Michel Salgado

Benjani Mwaruwari

Jason Roberts

BLACKPOOL

Matthew Gilks

Mark Halstead

Richard Kingson

Paul Rachubka

Stephen Crainey

Neal Eardley

Rob Edwards

Ian Evatt

Dekel Keinan

David Carney

Jason Euel

Malaury Martin

Keith Southern

David Vaughan

Billy Clarke

Brett Ormerod

Gary Taylor-Fletcher

BOLTON

Adam Bogdan

Jlloyd Samuel

Gretar Steinsson

Tamir Cohen

Ricardo Gardner

Joey O’Brien

Mustapha Riga

Robbie Blake

Johan Elmander

CHELSEA

Henrique Hilario

Jose Bosingwa

EVERTON

Iain Turner

Seamus Coleman

Victor Anichebe

FULHAM

Neil Etheridge

Matthew Briggs

John Pantsil

Zoltan Gera

Danny Murphy

Eddie Johnson

Diomansy Kamara

LIVERPOOL

Sotirios Kyrgiakos

MANCHESTER CITY

Shaleum Logan

Patrick Vieira

MANCHESTER UNITED

Edwin van der Sar

Gary Neville

Ryan Giggs

Owen Hargreaves

Paul Scholes

Michael Owen

NEWCASTLE

Sol Campbell

Kazenga LuaLua

STOKE

Carlo Nash

Thomas Sorensen

Abdoulaye Faye

Rory Delap

Ricardo Fuller

Eidur Gudjohnsen

SUNDERLAND

John Mensah

David Meyler

Boudewijn Zenden

TOTTENHAM

Carlo Cudicini

William Gallas

Jonathan Woodgate

WEST BROM

Dean Kiely

Marek Cech

Abdoulaye Meite

Jonas Olsson

Giles Barnes

Simon Cox

WEST HAM

Robert Green

Daniel Gabbidon

Lars Jacobsen

Jonathan Spector

Matthew Upson

Kieron Dyer

Zavon Hines

Victor Obinna

WIGAN

Mike Pollitt

Stephen Caldwell

Piscu

Daniel De Ridder

WOLVES

Marcus Hahnemann

Jody Craddock

David Jones

Michael Kightly

Three that immediately spring to mind are the second against Plymouth, Hammond's against Peterborough, one against Swindon at home.... there will be others I can't think of.

We scored from a set piece against Hartlepool and Brighton recently.

We have scored loads of goals from set pieces this season. There are probably some stats out there (I can't be bothered to look them up).

Our set pieces are inventive and effective.

Was impressed with Cork a few years ago, would like to see him back here. I don't know much about Wade Elliot, is he a winger? If we can keep AOC I don't really see the need to sign one, except as cover. Unless it was Keith Treacy from Preston, he's looked good every time I've seen him play.

How about Vokes if he doesn't stay on at Norwich? Probably a better chance if Wolves stay up.

Always liked Billy Jones, good utility player at Crewe. Has he become an out and out RB now?

Boyd if P'boro stay down?

Was impressed with Cork a few years ago, would like to see him back here. I don't know much about Wade Elliot, is he a winger? If we can keep AOC I don't really see the need to sign one, except as cover. Unless it was Keith Treacy from Preston, he's looked good every time I've seen him play.

How about Vokes if he doesn't stay on at Norwich? Probably a better chance if Wolves stay up.

Always liked Billy Jones, good utility player at Crewe. Has he become an out and out RB now?

Boyd if P'boro stay down?

Cork has been on loan at Burnley and done well, he has recently said he wants out at Chelsea to get first team football, i'd have thought we'd be a good option for us and he would be a good signing for us.

Vokes is a good shout, was talking to his dad at Dagenham away and he said he'd love to join us, being a Saints fan.

Corners have in general been poor I think this year. Yes - a lot better then we've been used to but still not great. We probably get about 10 (guess) corners a game and we probably score about every 1 in 3/4 games ?? I have zero stats to back this up, but we do see a lot of corners not getting into the 'danger zone'. Though we do normally get 1/2 good ones a game.

Think we are more effective from free kicks just outside the 18 yrd box though....(normally when Rickie is delivering the ball in)

Would Cork get top flight offers? Maybe. Not one of those players obviously going to attract attention, but a very good team player. Could be ideal, but do Burnley have money to sign him?

Vokes is alright but think we could aim higher, he's a pretty standard championship striker, not going to score a huge amount.

Does anyone have a list of expiring contracts in Serie A?!

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3276/serie-a/2011/05/04/2470706/ac-milans-massimo-ambrosini-wants-clarity-on-contract ;)

There is a few of our ex players on free transfers at the end of the season isnt there!!

Wayne Thomas

Neal Trotman

Maik Taylor

Kevin Phillips

Stephen Crainey

Jason Euell

Brett Ormerod

Rory Delap

Ricardo Fuller

Wouldn't take any of those with the possible exception of Delap !

Wouldn't take any of those with the possible exception of Delap !

Delap is signed on at Stoke for a while yet,end of next season or the season after maybe. These "free agent lists" aren't very up to date,they probably were at one time but don't seem to take account of contract extensions during the season..

Here you go http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6870624,00.html

Looks like he never was a free agent this summer though.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I am licensed football agent but non practicing at the moment. I have no direct links to Saints set up but have been involved with scouting before.

Looking what is on the market, there is certainly a lot of talent avaialble on a free. It all depends on what our wage strucure is and what the long term vision of the club is.

There is an opportunity for Saints to make a significant splash and impact on the league as i think Saints are perceived as a big club and moving in the right direction.

As i have stated before, i think Danns is a cracking player and i know he is constantly being talked about and was linked under Pardew but he is being watched by a lot of clubs in the division. Elswhere Darren Pratley would be a real statement of intent in the centre where we definitely need one new addition.

It is clear Stephens is just a stop gap and i very much doubt that he would be given a permanent deal in light of the quality players which we can now attract to the club.

On wings where we need cover, Diomansy Kamara or Wade Elliott would be a good shout. I think Elliott would represent better value and a lower wage.

In terms of strikers, i am also beating the drum for CMS as he has scored goals in the Championship before and has absolutely torn League 1 apart with his pace, power and work rate...a perfect foil for Lambert IMO. Those who are keen to dig deeper should see that he doesn't even take penalties and that he has scored 27 goals from open play in the league compared to Lambert's 21 with 8 penalties.

Another player who i think is relaistic is James Vaughan of Everton, young 22 years old, pacy and would be a good foil for Lambo. Definitely prepared to drop to the champ to play regular football.

In terms of who is out of contract in Italy, as per someone's request. I take it is this down to Cortese's links and i could see him pulling another rabbit out of the hat, like the DoPrado deal.....certainly wouldn't mind Stephen Appiah or David Suazo....

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/vertragsende/basics_IT1.html

C