Championship Summer 2011 HCDAJFU

Lighthouse

Just seen that Brighton are interested in signing Morgaro Gomis and Prince Buaben from Dundee Utd (both of them are out of contract in June), either of them would be good signings.

Dundee Utd have got a few good players actually, Garry Kenneth would be a great signing at CB - Jaidi's successor perhaps? Paul Dixon would be a good signing at LB as well, although having 2 LBs called Dixon/Dickson could be very confusing...

Just seen that Brighton are interested in signing Morgaro Gomis and Prince Buaben from Dundee Utd (both of them are out of contract in June), either of them would be good signings.

Dundee Utd have got a few good players actually, Garry Kenneth would be a great signing at CB - Jaidi's successor perhaps? Paul Dixon would be a good signing at LB as well, although having 2 LBs called Dixon/Dickson could be very confusing...

Garry Kenneth? Are you kidding me? I've watched this guy for years and he is one of the worst and overrated players in Scotland. :) However, it's not as bad as the ridiculous Grant Munro shout who is wanted by my 1st divison Falkirk!

Theres going to be a bunch let go by QPR:

Gavin Mahon

Lee Cook

Rowan Vine

Gary Borrowdale

Martin Rowlands

Fitz Hall

Leon Clarke

Rob Hulse

Dan ****tu

At risk of breaking the "never go back" rule, wld love to sign him.

Hadn't appreciated Adkins and Jack Cork have some (positive) history.

Think Cork would be a fantastic signing - despite, again, the "never go back" rule.

Completely agree that "inside info" from stewards can be 100% disregarded.

Why would we want to sign those who are discarded from QPR for not being good enough for the PL? Or for that matter old has-beens who once played here or maybdidn't. Saints are planning for the PL now, and not to consolidate in the NCP. The words from Markus and NC was for appropriate investments for each phase of the plan. Phase one is now achieved, and we are going into Phase two, which is to get promotion into PL. For this we need some quality reinforcements who are capable of playing in the PL. Phase three is about playing in the PL without risk of going down again, which will require the biggest reinforcements for us that far.

Forgive me, but Fitz Hall, Beattie and Owen doesn't figure anywhere in those plans. We've got to be realistic, but surely we can aim higher than that.

Why would we want to sign those who are discarded from QPR for not being good enough for the PL? Or for that matter old has-beens who once played here or maybdidn't. Saints are planning for the PL now, and not to consolidate in the NCP. The words from Markus and NC was for appropriate investments for each phase of the plan. Phase one is now achieved, and we are going into Phase two, which is to get promotion into PL. For this we need some quality reinforcements who are capable of playing in the PL. Phase three is about playing in the PL without risk of going down again, which will require the biggest reinforcements for us that far.

Forgive me, but Fitz Hall, Beattie and Owen doesn't figure anywhere in those plans. We've got to be realistic, but surely we can aim higher than that.

aim higher than michael owen...?

i fear next season is going to be a let down for you

we will probably sign players in order to go for the playoffs.....player like CMS, danns and the like....I think you should calm down

Edited by Thedelldays

No offence intended, but this sounds insane to me.

Few players who are clearly good enough for the the Premiership are going to sign for a Championship side. It seems unlikely to me that players who are amongst the best at, say, QPR are going to leave Loftus Road for St. Mary's.

We need to build, over the next couple of seasons, a squad good enough to get promoted from the NPC. That doesn't mean having a team that's good enough to compete in the top flight being created this Summer.

for a CH how about Micheal Mancienne? Been on loan for the last 5 season, 2 of them at Wolves, looked great at Championship level but not played for them much in the premier league. He'd be a great addition to the squad.

No offence intended, but this sounds insane to me.

Few players who are clearly good enough for the the Premiership are going to sign for a Championship side. It seems unlikely to me that players who are amongst the best at, say, QPR are going to leave Loftus Road for St. Mary's.

We need to build, over the next couple of seasons, a squad good enough to get promoted from the NPC. That doesn't mean having a team that's good enough to compete in the top flight being created this Summer.

Yes it does. Some here are very short sighted in this. There are players in other country's, not just CCC cast off's. I can see a few coming in from overseas imho. I would take Owen like a shot though.

I really think we need an experienced been there done that central midfield player. It may be controversial but I would be tempted to see if Robbie Savage fancies another season. He had Adel Taarabt in his back pocket when Derby played QPR a couple of weeks back.

I really think we need an experienced been there done that central midfield player. It may be controversial but I would be tempted to see if Robbie Savage fancies another season. He had Adel Taarabt in his back pocket when Derby played QPR a couple of weeks back.

Lee bowyer on a free?

Man Utd seem to cope with the (identical) Da Silva twins so I reckon we could probably manage !!

:)

Yes it does. Some here are very short sighted in this. There are players in other country's, not just CCC cast off's. I can see a few coming in from overseas imho. I would take Owen like a shot though.

It really doesn't. Unless we have a semantic argument over the definition of "compete". By "compete", I mean making a fair fist of things and very probably avoiding relegation (on a stricter, narrow definition, I suppose "competing" includes playing 38 games and losing them all).

I don't think many - if any - teams get promoted from the NPC with a squad likely to survive in the Premiership.

Major spending and huge star name acquisitions need to take place AFTER we've been promoted from the NPC. The enhanced revenues mean you can afford to increase your spending on transfers and wages by tens of millions.

The idea that we will create a squad this Summer capable of being around 12th-15th in the Premiership is rather fanciful.

Would be very happy to be proved wrong though!

Garry Kenneth? Are you kidding me? I've watched this guy for years and he is one of the worst and overrated players in Scotland. :) However, it's not as bad as the ridiculous Grant Munro shout who is wanted by my 1st divison Falkirk!

Seen him play a few times against St. Johnstone and he's impressed me every time. He comes undone against pacy strikers (not that there's that many of them floating about in the SPL!) but good in the air and strong too.

Marlon King is proven to be a complete ****. I would stop supporting Saints instantly if we signed this pathetic excuse for a human being.

I know what you are saying. We shouldn't look to sign any more rats. Can we just have decent human beings. Sounds like we have our fair share of players with attitude already (Barnard and if this Forecast stuff is to be believed), same goes for Bowyer.. No thanks.

Watched MOD2 last night for the first time in ages - I had kind of forgotten some of the quality and pace of even the lower half sides (e.g. Wolves look like a really strong pacey side and it's quite surprising to see them where they are). The teams at the top of the NPC have got there because they are playing with pace and this has been achieved in preparation for the move up to the Prem.

At the moment Saints are in need of more pace in the team. There are a couple of players that can move, but not enough and this is where we need to strengthen. I would say, 3-4 players - CB, CM, possibly a winger and ST. It would not surprise me in the slightest if we looked at players released by the likes of QPR - in fact we would be mad not to.

get ready for all the press rumours.

promoted side, made it clear the club are planning towards another promotion, got money, got good support, manager already given an interview saying wants to add some quality signings - all adds up to press linking us with everyone!

Don't want Jason Roberts, less mobile even than Ricky. Mancienne would be a brilliant signing, but I would be surprised if he was prepared to drop down into the Championship. I think a lot of players at the level of Mancienne will get offers from prem teams, we would do very well to get a current premier league player here next season (barring someone looking for a contract (I.e Beattie))

I would be astonished if Owen came here! He clearly isn't that bothered about playing every week anymore and coming here would make it difficult for him to get to his stables (which are near Chester I think)

From the way Adkins is talking in interviews, I expect he already knows who he wants to go after in the summer.

Don't want Jason Roberts, less mobile even than Ricky. Mancienne would be a brilliant signing, but I would be surprised if he was prepared to drop down into the Championship. I think a lot of players at the level of Mancienne will get offers from prem teams, we would do very well to get a current premier league player here next season (barring someone looking for a contract (I.e Beattie))

I would be astonished if Owen came here! He clearly isn't that bothered about playing every week anymore and coming here would make it difficult for him to get to his stables (which are near Chester I think)

From the way Adkins is talking in interviews, I expect he already knows who he wants to go after in the summer.

Macienne has been on loan in the championship for the last 4 or 5 seasons up until this season, he's only played a handful of times for Wolves this season in the Premier league, i cant imagine there will be a host of premier clubs desperate to sign him, he was great in the championship for Wolves though, when they played down here a couple of season ago he was the best player on the pitch.

I have to agree with this despite some of the comments that followed.

Cortese & Adkins will be adding quality to improve us long term, not aged players who only have a few years to go and are looking for their final big pay deals.

In several parts of the ground yesterday there was talk that we were about two thirds of the way to signing Beattie who was prepared to take a drop in wages. We were also in discussion with Bridge.

When I spoke to connections within they had no knowledge and even laughed it off. Now if they have no knowledge then how do others without these connections.

Beattie and Owen were good in their time. They may still have a couple of years left in them but not enough time for what the club are trying to build.

We did not go mad this season and achieved what we wanted. Next season it will likely crank up a bit but I see us finding our level in the Championship next season, looking at what we need to do to gain automatic the following season. That would be within the 5 year plan.

Steady as she goes........

Can we please stop with the pathetic Michael Owen rumours, he's a premier league player on the fringes on the Man U starting 11, he ain't coming !!

This and while we are at it anyone who suggests Shay Given as a new signing, there have been a few on here the last couple of days, is seriously mental and should be banned.

for a CH how about Micheal Mancienne? Been on loan for the last 5 season, 2 of them at Wolves, looked great at Championship level but not played for them much in the premier league. He'd be a great addition to the squad.

Would love to see this - but reportedly he earns 25K/week, which might be outside our budget

How about Keiron Dyer from West Ham when they go down? Cant see many Prem clubs going for him?

If he can get his form/fitness back, and take a drop in wages, he'd be excellent

But he won't, so he'd be a massive drain on resources.

Not sure about singing ''has beens'' looking for their last pay-day. I'm up for getting young talented players that can make the step up.

How about Keiron Dyer from West Ham when they go down? Cant see many Prem clubs going for him?

If he can get his form/fitness back, and take a drop in wages, he'd be excellent

He's not been fit or on form consistantly since he left Newcastle, plus he's a *****.

I was thinking exactly, and then I realised he has made 30 PL appearances for them this season and is their second highest scorer in the league...so they will probably keep hold of him. Wouldn't mind Zavon Hines or Junior Stanislas on loan from WHU though, got a mate who supports them and he says they are good pacy forwards - exactly what we need.

This and while we are at it anyone who suggests Shay Given as a new signing, there have been a few on here the last couple of days, is seriously mental and should be banned.

why, we are the best bet outside of the prem...

we have been since our league 1 days..

:lol:

We need pace but there are times when an experienced older head is required as well, thinking back to the influence Alan Ball had on our last promotion to the top league and of course Jimmy Case when we had a lot of emerging youngsters. There is the problem of fitness and players looking for a last pay day but how about Patrick Vierra. He is the best of that type of player I can think of and shortly out of contract at City.

For the most part we should be looking to sign younger players who have the ability to step up to the Premiership. In Lallana, Morgan and Oxlade we already have 3 that can do so - but we need to add some more.

Jack Cork and James Vaughan are two players that could do this - and both are available - Vaughan on a free - and would be realistic signings. Matt Phillips from Blackpool would be another if they get relegated. Fabio Borini from Chelsea and Guidetti from Man City are both available on free transfers for another example of the type of player we should be looking at. Jacob Mellis is another.

We also have a core of players in Chaplow, Fonte, Davis, Butterfield, Harding, Do Prado and Connolly who are definately of Championship standard. And another group including Hammond, Dickson, Richardson, Barnard and Lambert who can probably step up a level.

We definately need another striker with real pace, a left winger with pace, a first choice centre back to partner Fonte and a central midfielder/playmaker.

I'd like to see someone like Brian Howard - again a realistic signing - to add some experience and leadership in the middle of the pitch. He would certainly give us commitment. I'd also like to see Matt Mills make a return to partner Fonte at the back. It would all depend on Reading not going promoted though.

We should also look at loan signings from the premier league - young players from clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs - players like Lansbury, Frimpong, Eastmond would add some qaulity to the team.

Hopefully we will see one or two more players from the youth team step up to the first team next season as well - Ward-Prowse, Sinclair and Hoskins perhaps.

If we do sell Oxlade-Chamberlain I would want £10 million a loan back for the season - as well as two other young players on loan as part of the deal!

I'd love to see us sign players like Nicky Maynard and Scott Sinclair this summer - it would be a real statment of intent - but I'm not sure I can see us doing that as we would have to compete with premiership clubs on transfer fees and wages.

I read...and watched a programme about Owen recently and he is a massive horse racing fan - owns a few and the comments were

he won't move far from the North as that would take him away from his nags.

He is also a massive betting fan,didn't he blow nearly all his cash on it?

why, we are the best bet outside of the prem...

we have been since our league 1 days..

:lol:

Wasn't it the best bet outside the teams challenging for the champions league in the prem when we were in L1? Maybe Shay Given and Scott Parker are realistic targets then.

For the most part we should be looking to sign younger players who have the ability to step up to the Premiership. In Lallana, Morgan and Oxlade we already have 3 that can do so - but we need to add some more.

Jack Cork and James Vaughan are two players that could do this - and both are available - Vaughan on a free - and would be realistic signings. Matt Phillips from Blackpool would be another if they get relegated. Fabio Borini from Chelsea and Guidetti from Man City are both available on free transfers for another example of the type of player we should be looking at. Jacob Mellis is another.

We also have a core of players in Chaplow, Fonte, Davis, Butterfield, Harding, Do Prado and Connolly who are definately of Championship standard. And another group including Hammond, Dickson, Richardson, Barnard and Lambert who can probably step up a level.

We definately need another striker with real pace, a left winger with pace, a first choice centre back to partner Fonte and a central midfielder/playmaker.

I'd like to see someone like Brian Howard - again a realistic signing - to add some experience and leadership in the middle of the pitch. He would certainly give us commitment. I'd also like to see Matt Mills make a return to partner Fonte at the back. It would all depend on Reading not going promoted though.

We should also look at loan signings from the premier league - young players from clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs - players like Lansbury, Frimpong, Eastmond would add some qaulity to the team.

Hopefully we will see one or two more players from the youth team step up to the first team next season as well - Ward-Prowse, Sinclair and Hoskins perhaps.

If we do sell Oxlade-Chamberlain I would want £10 million a loan back for the season - as well as two other young players on loan as part of the deal!

I'd love to see us sign players like Nicky Maynard and Scott Sinclair this summer - it would be a real statment of intent - but I'm not sure I can see us doing that as we would have to compete with premiership clubs on transfer fees and wages.

at last

a realistic post on this thread

He is also a massive betting fan,didn't he blow nearly all his cash on it?

I hear he is also a massive fan of regular Premier League football and £80,000 per week wages packets. It's possible this might put another dent in our bid to sign him. :facepalm:

aim higher than michael owen...?

i fear next season is going to be a let down for you

we will probably sign players in order to go for the playoffs.....player like CMS, danns and the like....I think you should calm down

You must have gotten something wrong, since I am perfectly calm, but I don't agree with your assessment. If we are to advance this squad into the PL we need to be very careful with our signings. NA said that we shouldn't expect a large influx, but that he is looking for a bit more quality to mix into the squad. It will also depend on if anybody may leave (read AOX, especially, I think).

So if we are thinking 2, maybe 3 signings, does it make much sense to add on to the squad players who are not likely to be better than the players we've got already?

As for Owen, I wonder how he would fit into the culture NA is producing in the club, which I understand as having much more to do with a collective of motivated and happy individuals, than a number of superstars. I don't think that Owen looks like a player who would fit in there, but I could, of course be wrong.

I also don't think that goals and wins equates the number of strikers we sign. I'm also not certain that NA is a died-in-the-wool 4-4-2 man. And if we play any variety of a 4-3-3, then we can only play one striker at a time anyway, and I must admit that I don't feel massively excited if that player was Owen.

As for the other half of the equation, I just can't buy that we'll get ourself into the PL with a number of players who have already been found wanting.