Championship Summer 2011 HCDAJFU

Lighthouse

We are bound to get another player from serie A on loan - ala Guly / Papa.

We've been linked with Jan Hable on one of the rumours sites - he's a Czech defensive midfielder and U21 international player joint owned by Fiorentina and Ascoli - currently on loan to a Greek side.

I've heard a whisper that David Nugent is set to sign for us on a free transfer - supposedly becuase he's settled on the South Coast and doesn't want to move away - but doesn't want to play for Pompey anymore.

I imagine that its possible we've sounded him out about wages and that stuff - at 27 he's a good age for a free transfer - and he's more than capable of scoring goals in the Championship - he can also play left wing as well as upfront - and he has pace.

To be honest I thought he would head back up to the North West - Burnley or Blackpool most likely.

Would he be a good signing though - given his Skate past? I'm never keen on signing ex-Pompey players. What do people think?

Okay having had a good long think about who is on the market an more to the point, who is realistic and would add quality to our squad, here are some suggestions

Additions -

Centre Back - one from Mancienne/ Kelvin Wilson/ Wes Morgan/ Matthew Mills/ Bikey/ Ashley Williams/ Emerson Boyce (assuming Wigan go down)

Right Back - one from Nathanial Clyne/ Tyrone Mears

Left Back - Ryan Bertrand (loan)

Centre Mid - one from Marvin Elliott/ Neil Danns/ Darren Pratley (assuming Swansea don't go up)/ Jack Cork/ Hendry Thomas (assuming Wigan go down)/ Stephen Appiah (unattached )

Wingers - Dale Jennings/ Jimmy Kebe/ Chris Eagles/ Wade Elliott/ Victor Moses( assuming Wigan go down)/ Matt Phillips(assuming Blackpool go down)/ Max Gradel

Strikers - one from James Vaughan/ CMS/ Steve Morrison/ Danny Graham

I think realistically, we are going to need 5 or 6 players. Norwich only had 3/4 of their original starting team in league 1 in the champ and we need to keep improving the quality as well.

My Choices

First choice

Ashley Williams

Nathanial Clyne

Darren Pratley

Neil Danns

Dale Jennings (good back up)

Matt Phillips

CMS

Who would you try to sell

Outs -

Pulis - disgrace that he is even a professional...

Forecast

Holmes

Puncheon - £1-1.5 mill

Connolly - contreversial as when fit he is undoubtedly a quality player. However looking at how many games he has played in the last 4 seasons, im pretty sure he would not last a season and we could undoubtedly get some quality strikers

Seabourne - Not convinced he is gonna be good enough

Butterfield (if we could get Clyne)

Stephens (returned loan)

N'Guessan (returned loan)

Joseph Mills - £400k - decent player but we could attract better

simon cox...perlease

he is a starter at premiership mid tabel team WBA

please stop this insanity

already some are getting in a position like january where they hype up ridiculous potential signings meaning who ever does come in will be boo'd

Please read the post properly before replying.

I am going to be very pedantic and re-iterate that I said I would love to have those players BUT did not say that Saints should get them.

Also is there anythign wrong with people dreaming of getting decent players in? (Ok the likes of Owen/Smith/Anton is a bit far fetched but hey-ho!)

I'm pleased yourself and Merle have picked up on Eagles, very good player, surprised Burnley didn't lose him when they dropped out of the Premier Leauge.

they nearly sold him to Rangers but he couldn't agree terms.Everton were after him but don't know where they are with that now. Anyway he's signed on at Burnley until the end of next season at least.

they nearly sold him to Rangers but he couldn't agree terms.Everton were after him but don't know where they are with that now. Anyway he's signed on at Burnley until the end of next season at least.

He is a lazy scrote with a bad attitude, that is why no-one has ever picked him up. He is also inconsistent as hell.

Eagles has quality, but as Dibden said, he lacks consistency. He's quite similar to Lallana as well in playing style.

Burnley wouldn't let him go without a fight either.

I'm sure we could out tussle Burnley for him. As for lacking consistency, Adkins is a very man-management manager, and could potentially work on his consistency.

If DPS is right on the bad attitude though, I wouldn't want him here.

I'd have cms over nugent

didn't realise Nugent only turned 26 this month, a player with his peak possibly ahead of him, local and available on free got to be worth considering.

CMS could be silly money for his experience

Danns would be an outstanding signing, although we may well need to think about changing the captain, as Danns would replace Hammond rather than Schneiderlin

Wtf is the obssesion with Danns? Is it because we were close to signing him last year? Would he have entered peoples radars had we not be linked with him. Granted he's been one of CP's better performers -Clyne has been their standout player; but is that saying much? Do we need another midfield battler who's arguably peaked (he turns 29 this year)?

Wtf is the obssesion with Danns? Do we need another midfield battler?

"Midfield battler" isn't a term I'd use to describe him, he is a very skillful, quick, attacking player with an eye for a good pass.

Not exactly in the Paul Wotton "midfield battler" mould...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tLPZOlGw3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5bOECgO4FQ

A midfield of Lallana and Chamberlain on the wings, Schneiderlin sitting in front of the centre backs and Danns ahead of him would be very good at Championship level.

Edited by Matthew Le God

"Midfield battler" isn't a term I'd use to describe him...

A midfield of Lallana and Chamberlain on the wings, Schneiderlin sitting in front of the centre backs and Danns ahead of him would be very good at Championship level.

Some palace STHs I know describe him that way - he's energetic and is box-to-box yes though his passing and decision-making are suspect. Admittedly with Derry's departure, this season he's reverted to a slightly deeper and more defensive role and so would benefit from playing alongside Schneiderlin/Hammond. I guess my question is whether he adds significantly more than Chaplow and whether we can do better than him? For me Darren Pratley and Jack Cork (a slightly different player) are better options.

didn't realise Nugent only turned 26 this month, a player with his peak possibly ahead of him,
isn't 26 actually almost beyond a strikers peak these days?

FWIW Lee Cook from QPR would be absolutely ideal for us.

Wtf is the obssesion with Danns? Is it because we were close to signing him last year? Would he have entered peoples radars had we not be linked with him. Granted he's been one of CP's better performers -Clyne has been their standout player; but is that saying much? Do we need another midfield battler who's arguably peaked (he turns 29 this year)?

I also wonder what the fascination is about Danns. He wasn't bad a colchester, was ****ing woeful at brum, done OK at Palace, but nowhere near the quality of Ambrose and Clyne. No reason for him to leave them for us and that can be said of a lot of players on this list.

wish we would stop the CMS obsession, why we would spend £1m on a hardly proven striker in the NPC and he would cost considerable money, Norwich quoted at £3m, silly prices. Nugent, free transfer proven and a good age. Whilst I agree Nigent hasn;t been at the races for sometime this is for the purpose of comparison.

Again, Marlon King, much rather than CMS.

QPR used 22 first team players this season.

The club have already said some of our U21 players will be used for first team next season.

We already have pretty big squad.

Unless there are going to be mass departures I don't expect many news faces

: Kenny (QPR), Naughton (Leicester), Harte (Reading), Williams (Swansea), Morgan (Nottm Forest), Taarabt (QPR), Sinclair (Swansea), King (Leicester), Hoolahan (Norwich), Graham (Watford), Holt (Norwich

: Kenny (QPR), Naughton (Leicester), Harte (Reading), Williams (Swansea), Morgan (Nottm Forest), Taarabt (QPR), Sinclair (Swansea), King (Leicester), Hoolahan (Norwich), Graham (Watford), Holt (Norwich

what about them..?

please dont say signing for us..?

A fairly lengthy list of players we won't be signing, thanks.

Why on earth would you would a character like Marlon King at the club? He is a vile human being and would most likely disrupt the good team spirit Saints have at the club.

100% this.

Bullard would be quality, but it looks as though he'll be at QPR next season

People ask why the CMS "obsession"

Because he looked arguably the best L1 striker we played against this season (scared the **** out of our defence), Top scorer in L1, he has played in the Championship and did ok, now playing the best football of his career, has only 1 year left on his deal (no way will it take £3ml now), he has the one attribute that we need to inject upfront to compete in the championship - Pace.

There are other options around, but I think he would fit in well and we registered an interest in jan.

Why on earth would you would a character like Marlon King at the club? He is a vile human being and would most likely disrupt the good team spirit Saints have at the club.

I am inclined to agree, but does it not smack of slight double standards with Barnard?

Don't doubt that CMS is a good player but wonder if the money could be spent on alternative targets or perhaps a different position altogether.

Timothy Derijck is a big, pacey strong centre half who has had en excellent season at ADO Den Haag.

I think he's 24 but I have no idea about his contract.

I think he has been linked with Premiership clubs,possibly top half of the table clubs as well so an unlikely one for us.

I am inclined to agree, but does it not smack of slight double standards with Barnard?

Not at all!

Marlon King

- has 13 previous convictions dating back to 1997

- headbutted team mate Dean Windass

- sexually assaulted a woman and then punched her in the face

- he has received fines, driving bans, community service sentences, a rehabilitation order and orders to pay compensation on convictions including: theft from a person and from a car, criminal damage, and attempting to obtain property by deception; fraudulent use of vehicle licence document, driving without insurance, speeding, drink driving; a wounding incident while playing amateur football, and two cases involving assault of young women rejecting his advances in the Soho area of London

- is on the sexual offenders register for the next 7 years.

Lee Barnard

- is innocent until proven guilty over an alleged event we don't know the details of

I don't want Marlon King anywhere near Saints, let alone playing for us!

Edited by Matthew Le God

Shane Long's price has been qouted as £6 million - but I think it will be more like £3 million in the end. I'm not sure we will splash that much cash on one player! If he does go anywhere from Reading it will be a premiership team like Wolves - if they stay up.

Nicky Maynard at Bristol City who has a year left on his contract and was top scorer in the nPC last season would be a better bet at that kind of price. He's valued at about £3 million and I get the impression he wants to move on from Bristol City to a bigger more ambitious club.

Shane Long's price has been qouted as £6 million - but I think it will be more like £3 million in the end. I'm not sure we will splash that much cash on one player! If he does go anywhere from Reading it will be a premiership team like Wolves - if they stay up.

Nicky Maynard at Bristol City who has a year left on his contract and was top scorer in the nPC last season would be a better bet at that kind of price. He's valued at about £3 million and I get the impression he wants to move on from Bristol City to a bigger more ambitious club.

I'd wager that Saints don't spend 3 million on any one player this summer.

Edited by Window Cleaner
sticky S

I'd wager that Saints don't spend 3 million on any one player this summer.

that's what I was saying! maybe should have said it a bit blunter!

I'd love to see us sign players like Nicky Maynard and Scott Sinclair this summer - but I just cant see it - I think we'll end up spending nearer £5 million in total with £1.5 million to £2 million at a push being the most we spend on one player!

Edited by Rebel

I can't see us spending more than £2m on a player, not unless he really is the dog's b*llocks. I think we have 4 or 5 CURRENT first-team members who could cut it in the Premiership if we got promoted next year (that's a big IF), and they are:

Lallana

Schneiderlin

Fonte

Lambert? (Older than the others, would get battered about a lot as well so would pick up a few injuries)

Chamberlain

With players like Luke Shaw, James Ward-Prowse, Jake Sinclair etc. coming through the ranks, and considering what Cortese has said about his plans for the academy, we will be looking for 2-3 year stop-gaps while these youth players mature. We need to surround our young players with calm, experienced heads who will be able to help the young players grow.

Loads of announcements on the bbc website about released NPC players. Norris from Ipswich is leaving and I dare say the skates are expecting to pick him up on a free. I've not seen him for a while, but he looked good when we played them in the CCC a few years back.