john arne riise

Asaint4ever

I don't think so. Pace is an asset obviously, but experience and skill can count for so much more. Just look at Ryan Giggs.

You're not allowed to look at Ryan Giggs. Or even say you might have tried to look at Ryan Giggs. Superinjection of pace.

Am i the only one that would not be overly excited/impressed if we signed an ageing player on what would be rediculous wages?

Riise,no thankyou.

People said that when Jaidi was rumoured to be signed.

how many left-backs is Adkins signed for us?

Its not just left backs he hasn't signed. How many players is (sic) Adkins signed for us at all? Is it just Chaplow? But Nick gave us good advice the other day when he said don't believe rumours in the press.

Still, entertaining to speculate though and if this was true I'd have to send my scepticism back to the bus station.

5 years ago, when Liverpool were spending ridiculous money on spectacular failiures (see an example from squad list below). No indication he'd be on anything like that now.

1. Jerzy Dudek

2. Jan Kromkamp

3. Steve Finnan

7. Harry Kewell

9. Djibril Cisse

10. Luis Garcia

11. Robbie Fowler

19. Fernando Morientes

20. Scott Carson

21. Djimi Traore

30. Boudewijn Zenden

Been sat hear looking on at this thread and been thinking maybe Riise can play the Case role in central midfield

why, has he suddenly become a central midfield enforcer after being a left back/midfielder for his entire career?

Phil Neville. Rb i know but same principle.

err, hardly a Jimmy Case style central midfielder. Next.

Cue all the clowns on here listing every player to have ever played at full back and midfield. Jermaine Wright, there you go, fine example of a full back come midfield general.

err, hardly a Jimmy Case style central midfielder. Next.

They'll only be one Jimmy Case. But the point the fella made is that some full backs can and do play a holding cm role. Neville is an example.

Fwiw only an idiot would play Riise there.

They'll only be one Jimmy Case. But the point the fella made is that some full backs can and do play a holding cm role. Neville is an example.

Fwiw only an idiot would play Riise there.

a lot of players in that mould though, tough, hard midfield general type. I cant think of a single full back and i dont mean a "utility" ie, no one decent position but can do an average job a few, type player that would make a decent CM player. A few that can do a job there, Jack Cork being an example, but none that i would think would be as good in CM as they are at full back or visa versa if it was a CM playing full back.

name one full back who has been as good in central midfield as they have at full back.

Doddsy played well there on several occasions. Phil Neville made a second career out of it.

I agree with your general point though. Let's sign a centre midfielder, if that's what we want, not a full back.

yeah..course it is...lol

You seriously think John Arne Riise wouldn't do one hell of a job in the NPC?

***** oh dear clueless fan alert!!!! ******

I don't think Riise is a nessessary signing,don't think he will bring any significant improvement too the squad and we have employed the services of players in the past who were once exceptionally good only to be very mediocre in a saints shirt.A signing in this position is not a priority.

Once again having a differing view is deemed a crime it appears.