john arne riise

Asaint4ever

He's already signed for us according to wikipedia.

'Riise spent seven years in England playing for Premier League side Liverpool before returning to England in June 2011 signing a 3 year contract with championship side Southampton for an undisclosed fee'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Arne_Riise

Don't know if its such a good idea for people to edit the profiles of our supposed transfer targets?

He's already signed for us according to wikipedia.

'Riise spent seven years in England playing for Premier League side Liverpool before returning to England in June 2011 signing a 3 year contract with championship side Southampton for an undisclosed fee'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Arne_Riise

Don't know if its such a good idea for people to edit the profiles of our supposed transfer targets?

Was mildly funny the first time with Rivas, not so much this time. Also, whoever edited it is obviously a complete tool. ".. a Norwegian footballer who currently plays for Italian club Southampton".

How many Left backs do we need? Granted I would consider him to be the 1st starter over the 3 we already have available assuming Fish is coming back to us.

We always seem to have a manager that likes to overload a certain position. It seems Left back is the position of choice for our Nige.

Cant see it happening though, as nice as an idea as it sounds.

Edited by saintjay77

I have a feeling that Adkins doesn't see Dickson as a relibable LB - when he's played he's quite often been used in an advanced left midfield position, and if that's where he sees him in the championship then we would need another LB for cover. (but I'd imagine if this happens, Harding would become the cover)

If he did come, I'd expect him to play further up the field. Can't see us using him at left back when he could be so dangerous as a winger.

Don't you need pace to be a real winger?

This is why so many wide players are now playing on the wrong side,they don't have the pace to go past their man on the same side so their "wrong footedness" allows them to cut inside more easily.Real wingers have electrifying pace, like Ox and Theo.

I think it's far more likely to be his brother at Fulham - it looks as though they want to move him on - and he won't go back to Sheff Utd as they've been relegated.

If we are after a left sided defender / midfielder I'd much rather we signed Reto Ziegler on a free transfer from relegated Sampdoria - he's out in contract and unlikely to stay there.

Plus he's Swiss!

How many Left backs do we need? Granted I would consider him to be the 1st starter over the 3 we already have available assuming Fish is coming back to us.

We always seem to have a manager that likes to overload a certain position. It seems Left back is the position of choice for our Nige.

Cant see it happening though, as nice as an idea as it sounds.

how many left-backs is Adkins signed for us?

There's a difference between wingers and right/left midfielders. Beckham is a right midfielder not a winger.

That's what I thought, a winger gets to the byeline and pulls the ball back across the box (or at least he does in theory) this invariably involves going past defenders,either by pace or by guile or a combination of the two.Lallana obviously isn't a winger, he's a forward midfielder but he really needs to step up into the "meneur du jeu" or playmaker role at sometime soon because that's what we're missing, you can't play 4-4-2 without a playmaker because the system needs a relayer and a ball winner as well.If you only have 1 real winger, in our case at this time Ox (who may be able to step into the playmaker role more easily than Lallana--my opinion only of course but it looked like that was what he was doing in the Utd game) he can change sides from time to time.

Don't you need pace to be a real winger?

This is why so many wide players are now playing on the wrong side,they don't have the pace to go past their man on the same side so their "wrong footedness" allows them to cut inside more easily.Real wingers have electrifying pace, like Ox and Theo.

I don't think so. Pace is an asset obviously, but experience and skill can count for so much more. Just look at Ryan Giggs.

---------------------Schneiderlin-------------------------

---Chamberlain--------------------------------Riise--------

-------------------------Lallana-----------------------------

-----------------Lambert----Guly/Barnard-----------------

Yay/Nay?

Good,very good,only 2 problems, Ox is going and Adkins will play his binky Hammond somewhere or other, mark my words over this, he doesn't care who he ****es off,Hammond gets a game.

He'll never score a goal as good as his first one for Saints.

It was pure class.

Remember MLT talking about it on SKY saying he'd be able to score one like that with his foot but never his head.

Probably one of the only Saints goals I've celebrated by laughing rather than cheering

I don't think so. Pace is an asset obviously, but experience and skill can count for so much more. Just look at Ryan Giggs.

That's why I said by pace or guile or a combination of the 2,anyway Giggs doesn't play on the wing any more,when he's on they go a bit narrower and use a wing back system.

Yay/Nay?

A possibility at home.

Away I would prefer:

---Cork/Hammond-----Morgan-----

Chamberlain----Lallana--------Riise

-------------Lambert-------------

In an ideal and (unlikely) scenario.

Yay/Nay?

As good as our team are I'd prefer to use all 11 players available and have an actual goalkeeper not Morgan in goal!

how many left-backs is Adkins signed for us?

Ah fair enough but I think you know what I mean. Ryan, Harding and Fish, 2 of which have Championship experience (not sure about Ryan) at his disposal. To bring another in at least 1 will have to go. Assuming thats Fish I cant see the other 2 being happy about dropping to 3rd choice so its possible one of them would be off too I suppose.

We also have an under 21 development team that the club want to develop ready for the 1st team. I am assuming they have a left back in there somewhere that would now be looking at even more limited options.

Too many reasons suggest its not going to happen which is what I think but its interesting thinking about all the complications a move like that would do to the team if it were to happen.