Kaspars Gorkss - Update: Signs for Reading

Nexstar

I don't think we were ever in for Gorkss. We already have a slow unit in Jaidi, why sign another? We are quite clearly after a reasonably quick ball playing centre back. Gorkss doesn't fit that bill.

The long standing Latvian poster on here who had been talking to him said that we were and that we pulled out at the last minute to pursue Fontaine.

Hmmmm, unsure about this one... something smells a bit fishy.

I presumed there was an issue with him not wanting to drop down a division which is fair enough but then to see he has signed for Reading is a bit upsetting?!

He stated that he joined Reading because he thinks he has a good chance of returning to the Prem with them, does he not think this is possible with us? Now, considering we are top of the league and unbeaten I find this hard to believe. Im sure if we were in for him we would have sold him 'the vision' of the club.

So, that to me smacks of 2 things:

1) We were simply never in for him (which would be an oversight on our part if the case as he looks like the kind of defender we need!)

or

2) Reading have exceeded what we were willing to pay for him.

In NA & NC I trust but come on guys, you want quality, you have to pay for it sometimes and we are not going to attract the kind of player we need to get that final push to the Premiership if we are offering peanuts.

I'm wondering if the excellent start has hindered our transfer activity in anyway. I hope to hell someone hasnt seen the 4 games we have won and thought "I dont need to invest any money in this, it will be fine as it is..."

I echo what a few others have said in regards to the Fontaine deal falling through. To hear some of their fans say they would drive him down here themselves for £400k and then to offer double this was a little worrying. I am not saying I would have got on the players back had he signed, but to me it seemed like a desperation signing. I would rather we played Seabourne or Martin there than spend money willy nilly for the sake of it.

I sure hope that NA & NC have a few surprises to pull out of their sleeves before deadline day which will put a smile on our faces because I still think we are 2 or 3 quality players away from really competiting for the whole season. A striker and a CB as everyone knows is what we need.

Or he was offered by QPR as part of a deal for Puncheon but was not our first choice and when that deal fell through the stand alone offer for him was not attractive to us or acceptable by either us or the player.

People forget sometimes that players are human.

St Marys -> Loftus Rd = 76 miles

Madjeski -> Loftus Rd = 33 miles

i.e. Don't have to move the family, kids in school etc. I am not saying that is why, just that there are many reasons why one club is preferable to another if similar terms are offered.

People are forgetting that the Latvian poster on here who has been speaking directly to Gorkss says that this is not the case.

Does being Latvian mean he knows everything about a Latvian player's transfer? By that logic, I should know everything about Maynard's future transfer..

I am not worried if deals are falling through. Means we aren't taking risks.

You could argue that we can afford to take a risk. We already have a very good squad for this level. We're looking for 1 or 2 more players to add to that quality, so theoretically they're a lower risk signing, we're not looking to plug any obvious deficiency.

1 week to go in the window. We know the club want to bring in a CB and a CF. I'll only judge them at the end of the transfer window, of course, but passing on Gorkss while turning down Fontaine is a clear setback.

The long standing Latvian poster on here who had been talking to him said that we were and that we pulled out at the last minute to pursue Fontaine.

No he didn't.

Official Statement from Kaspars Gorkšs I have received to my pm.

He said that his transfer to Saints was almost done, but at the last minute of a deal it has fallen through, due to other defensive options found by NC. He is very upset with the outcome because he has alrady enjoyed few days in the city and the training ground and he has found the appartment already. In addition to that I was in contact with him and promoting the club so much, he was almost there. He added that our Chairman is very interesting and commited person.

Apart from that, he said he is due to sign for another Championship club, so we will see what have we missed out!!!!!

I doubt that the lad from Bristol City is better than Gorkšs so guess that NC has made a big mistake. But it is his own decision!!!

Mmm, IMO this could have been the one that got away. I just hope he wasn't sacrificed for Fontaine which then fell through.

Definitely. Gorkss was ideally suited to play alongside Fonte; Fontaine as more of a ball playing CB was not.

Hope we have another good - or better -option available.

Hmmmm, unsure about this one... something smells a bit fishy.

I presumed there was an issue with him not wanting to drop down a division which is fair enough but then to see he has signed for Reading is a bit upsetting?!

He stated that he joined Reading because he thinks he has a good chance of returning to the Prem with them, does he not think this is possible with us? Now, considering we are top of the league and unbeaten I find this hard to believe. Im sure if we were in for him we would have sold him 'the vision' of the club.

So, that to me smacks of 2 things:

1) We were simply never in for him (which would be an oversight on our part if the case as he looks like the kind of defender we need!)

or

2) Reading have exceeded what we were willing to pay for him.

In NA & NC I trust but come on guys, you want quality, you have to pay for it sometimes and we are not going to attract the kind of player we need to get that final push to the Premiership if we are offering peanuts.

I'm wondering if the excellent start has hindered our transfer activity in anyway. I hope to hell someone hasnt seen the 4 games we have won and thought "I dont need to invest any money in this, it will be fine as it is..."

I echo what a few others have said in regards to the Fontaine deal falling through. To hear some of their fans say they would drive him down here themselves for £400k and then to offer double this was a little worrying. I am not saying I would have got on the players back had he signed, but to me it seemed like a desperation signing. I would rather we played Seabourne or Martin there than spend money willy nilly for the sake of it.

I sure hope that NA & NC have a few surprises to pull out of their sleeves before deadline day which will put a smile on our faces because I still think we are 2 or 3 quality players away from really competiting for the whole season. A striker and a CB as everyone knows is what we need.

In fairness, I don't get the impression with NC that he does offer peanuts if he thinks that he has the right person.

Whats the fuss? So we haven't signed a CB. Last I checked we were sitting on top of the league. Has that changed?

Look, we're not in a rush. So we spent three weeks mulling over Gorkss. So what? We may have been researching him, speaking to people that know him, reviewing tapes, doing our homework, making sure that he was going to be worth the investment.

For once, I have faith in the regime that they are thorough, that they think things through fully, and they only make decisions once they have made sure it is the right one. Anyone has a problem with that, have a read of the Simon Clifford thread to see how it used to be.

If we **** off morons like Neil Warnock along the way, all the better.

Fans like new signings so you're all on here saying oh I wanted Gorkss, I wanted Fontaine, I wanted Jemal. Seriously....had any of you actually heard of these guys before we were linked? People always think the grass is greener; I personally have faith in the guys that had the best defensive record in League One last season.

Whats disappointing is we seem to be close to signing individuals in the one position that in my opinion we really need to strenthen along with a Quick forward ie,Gorkss, Fontaine, Jemal,but they do not get closed. One you could understand but for all three to go t**s up is a bit strange??

Whats disappointing is we seem to be close to signing individuals in the one position that in my opinion we really need to strenthen along with a Quick forward ie,Gorkss, Fontaine, Jemal,but they do not get closed. One you could understand but for all three to go t**s up is a bit strange??

Yep that is the point, not the lack of a centre back, but an inability to close out deals appears to be a bit of a problem and I do wonder if this has hampered our progress in the transfer market to a degree.

People are forgetting that the Latvian poster on here who has been speaking directly to Gorkss says that this is not the case.

Does being Latvian mean he knows everything about a Latvian player's transfer? By that logic, I should know everything about Maynard's future transfer..

If you had also been speaking directly to Maynard, then yes. Reading his sentence might have been helpful to understand this.

I'm with Tom28 too.

If Warnock doesnt see a future for Gorks in the prem then whats the point of us giving him a 3 year contract? Not likley to happen but if we made it to the prem this season then we still have to look for a prem CB while paying for another 2 years of Gorks contract.

Maybe the 3 weeks was spent weighing up our options and looking at the possible position we may end up. If there is money to spend on a CB then making sure you have one that can cut it in the league above seems a sensible option. Jemmel or what ever his name was seemed the right type of player we should be looking for and Gorks/Fontaine are lesser alternatives. Settle of those or see what else is about? Im glad we seem to be doing the latter.

Im glad about this, it pretty much rules out any chance of signing Puncheon which is not in Saints best interests as it seems QPR were the only team interested.

Saints are getting a bad reputation around the football world with messing about or insultingly low offers, chairman, players and agents then wont deal with them.

Im glad about this, it pretty much rules out any chance of signing Puncheon which is not in Saints best interests as it seems QPR were the only team interested.

Saints are getting a bad reputation around the football world with messing about or insultingly low offers, chairman, players and agents then wont deal with them.

Yes they are and it isn't really going to help us in the long term. Thanks for your input flyer.

Dont forget Sharp either

I'm with Tom28 to. We probably look at loads of players over the period of the transfer window, the large majority of which are never genuine targets. Notice all the carp that comes out is always from big mouthed, like to see my name in the papers ****s at the other clubs. Like the fact that we try to our business quietly behind closed doors. Interesting to note the only player we have supposedly been in for that we didn't get and the club commented on was Sharpe. Even Fontaine who supposedly had a medical, it was all paper talk, the agent or other clubs that made comments I believe. Nothing through the official club channels. For me now, whilst I enjoy the gossip and rumors, don't believe any of it until it is on the official site.

Yep that is the point, not the lack of a centre back, but an inability to close out deals appears to be a bit of a problem and I do wonder if this has hampered our progress in the transfer market to a degree.

If we'd wanted to close them we would've done.

Is it a problem; or does it appear to be a problem? How do you know that we were on verge of closing all the aforementioned deals? And if we did pull out of deals, who's to say that there weren't good rational reasons for doing so? And how do you know its outside the norm - have you conducted many deals or had your ears burnt listening to agents on the blower? This is why you cannot be taken seriously - not because of any negativity with which I haven't got an issue but because you thrive on speculation and jumping to conclusions where any number of explanations might be valid and are indeed often more plausible and less obtuse. I bet you see dead people too.

Edited by shurlock

Whats the fuss? So we haven't signed a CB. Last I checked we were sitting on top of the league. Has that changed?

Look, we're not in a rush. So we spent three weeks mulling over Gorkss. So what? We may have been researching him, speaking to people that know him, reviewing tapes, doing our homework, making sure that he was going to be worth the investment.

For once, I have faith in the regime that they are thorough, that they think things through fully, and they only make decisions once they have made sure it is the right one. Anyone has a problem with that, have a read of the Simon Clifford thread to see how it used to be.

If we **** off morons like Neil Warnock along the way, all the better.

Fans like new signings so you're all on here saying oh I wanted Gorkss, I wanted Fontaine, I wanted Jemal. Seriously....had any of you actually heard of these guys before we were linked? People always think the grass is greener; I personally have faith in the guys that had the best defensive record in League One last season.

I think that is an extremely niave comment ****ing Football Clubs off is not a good idea in the long run for SFC

Based on what?

Comments made.

Apparently we pulled out of the Gorkss deal.

Apparently we decided not to pursue Sharpe.

Jemal was agreed already to sign but there was a dispute at the last minute. Sounds like he's a strange character.

Of the 3, we agreed terms with two and could've signed them if we wanted to. Not sure about Sharpe.

I'd only regard it as a problem if we weren't top of the league. Seems fairly obvious to me that Cortese decides on how much we'll pay and if that doesn't sit well with the club or the player then the deal doesn't happen. We seem to be mostly signing well when the deals do come off, but I have slight concerns that longer term it may affect our ability to sign some players who would significantly improve us, say if/when we're looking at signing Prem-standard players as there are so many other options available to the decent Prem-quality player.

Not saying I believe everything Warnock says, nor that we didn't have good reasons to drag our heels (both footballing and business related) , but it's certainly an interesting snippet.

Just backs up that we decided against him. We obviously wanted to be in a position to sign him, or to be seen to be in a position to sign him, but decided against it.

Comments made.

Apparently we pulled out of the Gorkss deal.

Apparently we decided not to pursue Sharpe.

Jemal was agreed already to sign but there was a dispute at the last minute. Sounds like he's a strange character.

Of the 3, we agreed terms with two and could've signed them if we wanted to. Not sure about Sharpe.

If thats the case why go after them in the first place? if terms are agreed why pull out? it just wastes peoples time and we get a name as a club that is difficult to deal with.

If thats the case why go after them in the first place? if terms are agreed why pull out? it just wastes peoples time and we get a name as a club that is difficult to deal with.

who said terms were agreed. In the Sharp case no terms were agreed and there is nothing to say terms were agreed with Gorkss.

With Saints of today you never know who we are looking at signing until the club confirm or deny we are just as likely to sign a couple of players we havent even been linked with that is how we do business now.

It seems obvious to me that we need a centre back & centre forward I can't believe that NA & NC havent got something lined up but we will only find out when things are done & dusted.

I would have liked Gorkss to come to us but I only know what I have heard or read about him so can't say if he would have been the player we need I am going to not worry who we don't sign & keep my fingers crossed that the powers that be know what they are doing & get the right players in.

With Saints of today you never know who we are looking at signing until the club confirm or deny we are just as likely to sign a couple of players we havent even been linked with that is how we do business now.

It seems obvious to me that we need a centre back & centre forward I can't believe that NA & NC havent got something lined up but we will only find out when things are done & dusted.

I would have liked Gorkss to come to us but I only know what I have heard or read about him so can't say if he would have been the player we need I am going to not worry who we don't sign & keep my fingers crossed that the powers that be know what they are doing & get the right players in.

This does somewhat ignore the huge number of pieces of corroborating evidence that Jemal, Gorkss and Fontaine have all been at the club for periods of time in various capacities, and the local and international reporting in line with some of this.

Jemal's medical was the same day as De Ridder's, we know exactly when he left the country and what he said to the person who took him to the airport, and he "liked " a Facebook status about Saints in the week after the medical; there's a statement on here from Gorkss via a fellow Latvian which mentions his signing for another Championship club, and the Fontaine info was reported by Sky Sports and I don't think anyone's arguing with the "can't clarify" medical situation.

In addition, we all had a strong inkling about Cork signing weeks before he did, and Fox probably signing was known about a good week before - in a thread alongside Jay Rodriguez. Only the Maynard stuff seems to have been without additional information. Our sources and knowledge about what's happening before it's validated by the "new signing" on the OS is a lot better than you're supposing.

Not saying I believe everything Warnock says, nor that we didn't have good reasons to drag our heels (both footballing and business related) , but it's certainly an interesting snippet.

Not really..

On another thread there was suggestion that QPR while interested in Puncheon were only prepared to take him on loan. Now whether that had any bearing in the deal for Gorkss is speculative, but one might suggest that the length of time talking around this deal might have included discussions on both Puncheon and Gorkss.

Whatever Warnocks ramblings are usually akin to a petulant child anyway, and of course £900,000 is a lot of money for a defender wanting a 3 year deal who has twice been regarded not good enough for the Prem.