New York?

EBS1980

Favourite place, soak up all the atmosphere of Times Square, Broadway and Central Park. Maceys is amazing and then go up the Empire State Building, visit Ground Zero, eerie but a must and meals are so big you could share. Enjoy, fantastic experience.

Good start is the City Tour by Bus. Think they have 2 or 3 routes in Manhatten, usual hop on hop off but it all gets explained as you go and helps orientate you.

Chinatown for a lunchtime explore and food is a must.

Find a place to have a slice of fresh Pizza for lunch.

The Maritime Museum - old Aircraft Carrier & Sub is really good.

Depending on the day you get there you can register at a theatre in Times Square to watch a live recording of the David Letterman Show - great to see the whole thing from nehind the scenes - BOOYAH! it's free, we saw Kevin Spacey when we went. Took about an hour of queuing and the show recording was a couple of days later and took about 2 hours including the whole warm up thing.

Century 21 Store (was down near WTC) is a must for shopping - sort of an Outlet Department Store.

Union Square - City Crabs great sea food - the mixed Oyster Plate & Alaskan King Crab - get there early get a buzzer & have some beers first, and have a Porterhouse Steak to share between at the Steak House opposite (Maxwell & Somebody)

(Both the last two were finds from Sex & the City but worth it.)

Oh & culture - NY Metro Museum & Guggenheim

Never done, but everyone says amazing - The Helicopter Tour

You should have a great time, especially if you haven't been before.

While the bus tours can be a good way to go, do a bit of research. Mileage varies on these guys, as the one-star interviews attest. Lot of people have had problems after paying with cards, so take cash.

However, most people have missed the most obvious thing to do in NYC - which is walk around craning your neck marvelling at how tall everything is :)

Hope you have a good time. I thought the place was truly amazing.

I stayed here,excellent hotel very,reasonable rates,the rooms/suites are superb value, and where it is situated is perfect for central park,times square and subway.

You must do grand central station and visit the bars and restaurants underneath as well as all the usual sights.......

Book direct though......

http://www.easytobook.com/en/united-states-of-america/new-york/new-york/the-helmsley-windsor-hotel/#

Brilliant place.

New Yorkers are very direct but very friendly. The subway is a good way to get around, although walking can be rewarding.

Macy's is huge, go up the Empire State twice - day and night. Boat trip to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Central Park.

Don't be worried about crime, it's a pretty safe place - just be sensible as you would in any big city.

We stayed on West 35th St near the Empire State and Macys and also not far from Sparks Steakhouse where Paul Castellano was gunned down by John Gotti's men while Gotti and Sammy "The Bull" Gravano sat in a van down the street and watched.

Fantastic place. Think stayed up somewhere near 97th Street.

Would recommend the helicopter tour by far the best thing I did there.

Also ended up watching the NY Knicks at Madison Square Gardens when I was there.

Other things, Empire State Building at night, Macys, Times Square, Grand Central Station. So many things to do.

All sounds good, how much should you expect to pay for a week in a hotel? anyone recommend any? Not looking top end unfortunately.

Wife and I stayed in a hotel called the pod which wasn't too pricey, can't remember how much exactly as it was dec 07. Was a little cheaper cos it didn't have a restraunt, which in my eyes didn't matter cos it's the sort of place you want to eat out all the time anyway. It had a great cafe round the corner called the morning star which served the best breakfasts!

We went just before Xmas too, New Yorkers & especially manhattan do it in style, none of this tacky rubbish you see in this country.

The days of the cheap hostels in NY are dead. Mayor Michael Bloomberg reacted to pressure from the big hotel chain lobby, who complaind they were being undercut (and their profit margins reduced) by hostels. Hostels are now banned, apart from the YMCA.

NY has also introduced a by-law (again, thanks to whingeing hotel chains) which forbids more than three people in a hotel room, unless they are related.

So a family of four can book a double room, but you're no longer able to cut costs by going with mates and sharing a room for four.

Going up the Empire State building is good, but the problem is that you can't see the Empire State building from the top of the Empire State Building. Go to the Top of the Rock (the Rockefeller Centre) which is smack in the middle of Manhattan. You get a great view of the ESB in one direction and Central Park in the other.

If the season is still going (and if you can get a ticket) you should take in a Yankees game at the new Yankee Stadium, even if you don't undertand baseball, it's still a great sporting experience.

Walk (yes, I said WALK) over Brooklyn Bridge if you've got a couple of hours to spare.

If you're going to Macy's make sure you go to Customer Services to get your overseas visitor discount card. You'll need your passport, but it really is worthwhile.

All sounds good, how much should you expect to pay for a week in a hotel? anyone recommend any? Not looking top end unfortunately.

Around $200 per night. Best deal is to book and pay in advance from Orbitz / Expedia etc. Try Priceline where you can name your price and often get a cheap hotel, except you don't know which one until you've paid (the anonymity helps protect their rack rates). Most hotels are in midtown area, quite near Times Square. That's fine, but don't fall into the trap of thinking it's the area to go out at night. It's not (unless you're seeing a show of course). Handful of soulless Irish bars scattered around is all there is.

Brother live out there at the moment and if does have some great days out, in new jersey there is also a 6 flags them park (take about an hour to get there) which is amazing!!

Would say the food is mental though, alot of sugar and salt and I could not even finish my starter at the ESPN bar!! portions are stupit over there.

Didn't do the old aircraft carrier but that looks amazing as well as all the other stuff.

Enjoy

Stayed in Hotel Edison in May, again, not great but a comfy clean bed and right in times square.

I would definitely recommend going to the ground zero museum, only has 12 people at a time and was very moving!!

I would also agree the rockafeller centre is much better, went up the empire state building about 11 o'clock in the evening and was queuing for well over an hour, was 10 mins in rockafeller!!

Another recommendation for a drink would be Marriot hotel in Times square, has a revolving restuarant on the 46th or something called the view. Quite expensive though but definitely worth a look!!

Probably the best place I have ever visited. We stayed a couple of times on the Upper West Side which is more relaxed than Times Square etc but walking New York City is the real treat, so much to see and do. Would agree with all the sites mentioned by others and you get some great views walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.....but Brooklyn is no great shakes to be honest.

As for food, Pappa Gumps in Time Square is a little expensive but good, a nearby bbq place called Spankys do some great chicken and steak meals and whatever you do find an old fashioned diner somewhere in manhattan for breakfast, dont do brekkie at the hotel, all New Yorkers go out for breakfast. You will see why !

Have a great time.

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago - http://www.radiocityapartments.com/. The first 3 nights were $260 each, but the rate dropped (seasonal) to $180 after that so it should be the same now. Its a terrific location, near everything in manhattan and with the Rockefeller subway outside the door. Theres a breakfast diner next door, a brilliant sandwich place across the road and their own restaurant is excellent as well. That room rate was for an apartment with two double beds and a sofabed, plenty of space and a cooker and fridge in case you dont want to go out all the time, very comfortable. Its also close to Broadway and Times Square.

Must do's: Top of the Rock, Empire State, Staten Island ferry, Times Square, BB Kings blues club and grill, Marriott Marquis revolving hotel restaurant (go between 6 - 8pm and just have a drink or two, theres a cover charge and its pricey but the views are amazing). If youre into US comics at all theres a fantastic place near there called Midtown Comix thats well worth a visit. Little Italy and Chinatown, allow plenty of time, thats a great day out. Catch a broadway show if you can. Lunch on 9th Avenue anywhere between 44th and 55th Streets, that where the locals eat, great restaurants of all types doing lunchtime specials at really decent prices, also in that area are the local shops as opposed to the Broadway ones. Evening in Seaport near Wall St, theres loads of bars and restaurants and a fantastic atmosphere for an evening out, also thats where a lot of the sightseeing boat trips go from. If you're interested in electronics or cameras, this place is fascinating, run by Hassidic jews and really worth visiting- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Dont bother: Ground Zero. (sorry, I know I know, but its just a huge slab of concrete at the moment and if youre only there for a week....) Hells Kitchen flea market (which sounded like fun but wasnt,) Macys/Penneys/Bloomingdales (they are just overwhelmingly huge, you wont scratch the surface, only go if you are looking to source something specific or you'll just get lost in there.)

Dont overpay for transfers from the airport, you'll probably go into kennedy, the yellow taxi fares are fixed in advance at $45 to manhattan. Prebooked transfers are a lot more than that, you wont have to wait many minutes at the cab rank which is supervised and very well organised.

Have fun, you'll love the place.

Another recommendation for a drink would be Marriot hotel in Times square, has a revolving restuarant on the 46th or something called the view. Quite expensive though but definitely worth a look!!

I've eaten there. I think i'm right in saying it's New York's only revolving restaurant. The food is very good and you get a complimentary engraved glass.

Me and Lighthouse stayed here http://www.hotel31.com/

Cheap, pretty central and close to a couple of good traditional american breakfast diners.

Love how we went all the way to USA and ended up having dinner at an Aussie grill, a Chinese restaurant and an Italin pizzeria.

Just to add, if you're deliberating over flights, I'd go with Virgin and [geek] if you have a choice of flights, the A340-600 is very quiet, modern and comfortable[/geek].

My personal favourite moment from our trip was going up the top of the Rockefeller centre at night. The views from up there, looking South over Manhattan at the Chrysler building and ESB were breathtaking.

Edited by Lighthouse

I stayed at this (www.hotelpenn.com/index.html) hotel opposite Madison Sqaure Garden. Nothing special but was about the cheapest i could find at the time. 10 minute walk to times square.

Apart from what has been said we did a night time manhatten cruise which was really nice.

Agree with this. It is a truly basic hotel with small(ish) rooms, BUT it is just in such a great location, right opposite Penn Station right on the subway & Madison Square, has Nathans right outside the front door & a good sports bar on the side street opposite. Cheap but as they say, location location location. Stayed there twice and ridiculously on one trip bumped into a mate from Dubai right outside the front doors, neither of us knew the other was there

Oh one point IF you shop in Macy's Bloomingdales (Maceys better) take your passport - you can get a refund/discount on the sales tax - have to go to a small office but worth it

Edited by dubai_phil

Love how we went all the way to USA and ended up having dinner at an Aussie grill, a Chinese restaurant and an Italin pizzeria.

Just to add, if you're deliberating over flights, I'd go with Virgin and [geek] if you have a choice of flights, the A340-600 is very quiet, modern and comfortable[/geek].

My personal favourite moment from our trip was going up the top of the Rockefeller centre at night. The views from up there, looking South over Manhattan at the Chrysler building and ESB were breathtaking.

A340's are awful in economy IF you are anywhere near 6feet tall. not the leg room simply the damned seats. Virgin Jumbo for taller people

Yes, until my vertigo set in...

Walk west along 42nd Street from the UN - see the Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, New York Public Library, Times Square.

Take the subway under the east river (Train A or C) to the High Street Station in Brooklyn and then walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. Awesome view of lower Manhattan.

Walk down Wall Street - past the Federal Building.

Go to Greenwich Village - wish it was 1962!

Take the Roosevelt Island Tramway (newly renovated!) - it's a cable car - across the East River (it's right next to the 59th. Street Bridge - feel groovy!)

Walk through Central Park - you could start at Columbus Circle: walk along the southern edge, walk up the east side through the zoo, and then walk west across the Park to the Dakota Building (where John & Yoko lived) and visit Strawberry Fields (the memorial to John just inside the Park near the Dakota).

Take the Staten Island Ferry (it's free!) from lower Manhattan to Staten Island. Then come back. It passes quite close to the Statue of Liberty.

Most of all, just walk, walk, walk!

Edited by Hamilton Saint
adding stuff!

Beware that, in my experience, NY can be freezing cold in February. Was there for a few days in Feb '07, and the MAX daytime temperature was -10C (15F) and dropping below -20C at night. That cuts out a lot of the options (ferries, bridge walks, parks, etc). It took 10 minutes to wrap up just to go outside for a cigarette.

We use the buses to get around Manhattan, it helps to get orientated. You buy the bus pass tickets in the subway stations.

As for hotels, these days we stay at the Waldorf, a fantastic old hotel. Mrs. H always gets a good deal by phoning them direct rather than booking online. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Personally I love NY. It's probably the only place I actually enjoy going shopping.

February is OK for museums, galleries, shops, etc (and there are plenty of them), but if you want to do the outdoor stuff I would go at a different time.

Walk west along 42nd Street from the UN - see the Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, New York Public Library, Times Square.

Take the subway under the east river (Train A or C) to the High Street Station in Brooklyn and then walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. Awesome view of lower Manhattan.

Walk down Wall Street - past the Federal Building.

Go to Greenwich Village - wish it was 1962!

Take the Roosevelt Island Tramway (newly renovated!) - it's a cable car - across the East River (it's right next to the 59th. Street Bridge - feel groovy!)

Walk through Central Park - you could start at Columbus Circle: walk along the southern edge, walk up the east side through the zoo, and then walk west across the Park to the Dakota Building (where John & Yoko lived) and visit Strawberry Fields (the memorial to John just inside the Park near the Dakota).

Take the Staten Island Ferry (it's free!) from lower Manhattan to Staten Island. Then come back. It passes quite close to the Statue of Liberty.

Most of all, just walk, walk, walk!

All of this!

NYC is the coolest place on the planet and I love it!

When I visited for my 40th couple of years back we took a boat trip that circumnavigated (if thats the right word) the whole of Manhatten, trip lasted about 3-4 hours, very very funny cap'n did the narration of the tour and was ruddy well worth the money. Doesnt stop at any point IIRC, so if you want to visit Staten and Statue of Liberty then thats maybe not the one for you, but you do get to see loads of other places you'd maybe not get to see.

When you've done the Empire find a little Irish Bar thats directly opposite the side entrance, get a cheeky beer and get the best buffalo wings i've ever had as a snackette. The spicy one's will blow ya tits off :)

And do everything else that everybody else suggested. I was there for 5 days only and barely scratched at the surface!

Straight into the top 2 favorite cities I've ever visited

Loads of good advice on here already - do the Rockerfeller better than ESB.

We stayed in Tribeca at the Cosmopolitan Hotel - didnt want to be near Times Square too noisy and touristy.

Some great bars and delis locally and walking distance to Battery Park, Chinatown, South St Seaport, Financial,

Brooklyn Bridge.

Use the subway...get a 7 day pass its cheap quick, safe as houses.

I felt safer in NY at night than I ever do in Southampton/London.

Was a special birthday/anniversaey and ate at The View Marriot Marquis was fantastic.

We went to NYC at the end of May, had a great time.

Personally I would advise against the Hop on bus, there is an awful lot of waiting around. Use the Subway and do plenty of walking. If you have a smartphone check out the apps for the subway, very useful. Best bit of our trip and very reasonably priced too was climbing up the Statue of Liberty but you won't be able to do it for much longer, you also need to book well in advance as numbers are limited. We spent lots of time in Central Park, did both Rockafeller and ESB, one in the day the other at night, walked across Brooklyn Bridge, did a Broadway Show.

We stayed at the Intercontinental NYC, a couple of blocks from Times Square.

I would advise flying BA, you will get to use T5 which is nice and if you park at T5 Business parking you can get to use the cool futuristic 'pods' to the terminal.

how far is it from JFK airport to say manhatten...am thinking of going for crimbo..

how much is it in a taxi or is it better to sort transfers etc...

cheers

Take the Skytrain to Howard Johnson then get a 7 day subway card ...its cheaper doing it that way.

Staff are friendly and can help.

Great value and so easy to get around.

Some funny sights....like the guy trying to hump the hole in the ticket barrier at 2 am. Unbelievable musicians and buskers.

Although it could be very cold in February a trip on the subway to Coney Island is easy. Just be aware if you go on the iconic wooden roller coaster (Cyclone) you'll possibly end up with Whiplash! It hurts like hell when you're on there but you've got to give it a go. I agree Rockerfeller centre is better for looking out over the city. Bryant Park is a good place to have a beer and just people watch. There are some self catering apartments in Radio City that people have said are very good. I don't think you can go to New York on the cheap. Most hotels offer room only and meals are extra.

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/02-how_spend/00-how_spend.html

Now I've not used the greeters - but I know a couple of people who have and they said it was great.

Basically you arrange for a NYC local to show you around their city. It doesn't cost you anything and you get to see parts of NYC that you may not find under your own steam.

I think you can tell them the kind of things you wanna see. I'd love to do one of these with a request of 'show me back street bars' from the 5 different Boroughs. The sort of bars you wouldn't find by accident & where the locals drink.

Anyway - to all those going - enjoy.

if your there in feb go to maddison square garden and watch the knicks, i went when i was there last year, brilliant night but then i have always liked nba :)

also have a walk down canal street (china town) and ice skate on central park, you will love it i think its so much better in the winter.

Museum of Sex on 5th Avenue is interesting to say the least.

My fave moment was Strawberry Fields and seeing Sean Lennon coming out of the Dakota.

Empire State is a must do, most iconic place of the whole city imho.

Fave building to snap for me was the Flat Iron.

You will meet some of the friendliest people too, which we really did not expect.

Watch out crossing the roads.

If you're looking for somewhere good but modestly priced to eat or drink, ask a cop. Most can direct you to somewhere that has atmosphere and is safe. There are lots of great places in NYC you could walk past without ever knowing they're there.

Irish bars - i'm sure most are fine ( we went to a few!), but in one particular place we had an experience where as soon as the waiter (they were all Irish) heard our English accents , we were made to feel very unwelcome.

Smith & Wollensky's for a steak dinner.

Could someone advise if this is a good location for somewhere to stay please? http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Shelburne-Murray-Hill&cid=sc-afin-127-2071&s_kwcid=TC|22508|affinia%20shelburne||S|e|7402210275

Was recommended the hotel but don't want to be out in the sticks.

Manhattan is a huge place, generally stay below central park and the hotel is on the nicer side.

Forgot to say check out the ice skating at CP and at the rockerfeller centre. Some amazing skaters.

If you're there on a Saturday and the weather is good get up early and walk around Central Park, quite a sight seeing all the locals and celebrities treating running like a fashion accessory.

Another free tip, as mentioned in other places walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, aim to do it during sunset.

Get a Subway ticket for the duration of your stay, even if you don't use it all the time it's well worth the money. My ticket did run out for my last day so I did walk from 104th street down to the Staten Island ferry, despite being long it was well worth it.