Poortvliet in plea to Saints fans

qwertySFC

Quite right, what it needs is for 25,000 turn up tonight and sing their hearts out for the lads, and when they win, do it again the next match. That will teach the club that you can't do it without the crowd.

But I expect most of you will sit at home sniping on this site saying I told you so.

Quite right, what it needs is for 25,000 turn up tonight and sing their hearts out for the lads, and when they win, do it again the next match. That will teach the club that you can't do it without the crowd.

Sounds good, but the facts don't bear it out.

Nearly every time we've had a big crowd in the last couple of seasons, the team have played sh1t.

What he perhaps doesn't realise is that nobody is having a go at him or the kids.

All of the dissent is aimed at Lowe and the Quisling.

He might understand that, but he would also know that the net effect is to undermine the confidence of the team - so often the thin dividing line between a good and bad performance

But I expect most of you will sit at home sniping on this site saying I told you so.

And what ? I suppose on Poortvliets £60,000 a year salary he just expects every one to pay the £25-£28 every game to come and what a bunch of 16 year olds get thumped time and time again and not moan ! What an "A-hole"

Quite right, give something back and it would be nice to have 25,000 singing to get Rupert to leave before and after the game, and to support the lads during the game, but it ain't going to happen.

For all those who don't understand Economics (and this includes Rupert it seems) for each Product Quality and Quantity as well as differenciation all have an effect to create an optimal price and demand for a product. If the Price is too high the demand will fall. If the quality is higher the price will be able to be higher. Thus at the moment, no quality, high price, therefore no demand... easy that... What Rupert and Jan seem to think is: No quality, no entertainment, no differenciation, oh F*** it they should turn up anyway, why don't they ?

What a bunch of t**sers !

He might understand that, but he would also know that the net effect is to undermine the confidence of the team - so often the thin dividing line between a good and bad performance

Really? Most of them are used to playing in front of crowds of a few hundred, so the half empty stadium probably doesn't bother them. There has been little booing of the players or the manager as yet.

Could it be that this call for support is more for his benefit than for the players? Every match that we fail to win proves that the poor fella is out of his depth.

don't need economics -

winning teams -big crowds

premiership football - big crowds

longer we stay away from permiership and lower form is fans stop going

Ah but thats not the only reason is it as the first two years in the Championship we had good crowds even last year they were far higher than this why ?

1) The Return of the Devil (you know who I mean) - Consumer dissatisfaction

2) The fire sale of everything worth a penny - Product devaluation

3) Poor performances last year - Product devaluation

4) Ridding tickets of travel inclusion - Product devaluation

5) Fear of the unknown (the new management) - Customer uncertainty

6) Poor performances on Sky - Prodcut devaluation

7) Closure of parts of the ground - customer apethy

Thus they are offering a far SUBSTANDARD product at the same price thus crowds have fallen.

What have they offered in return... JP saying "Please stop moaning.. we're trying our best !"

NOT GOOD ENOUGH !

They made their decisions now blame the fans for not turning up.. as I say.. BUNCH OF T**SERS !

(Not that I would condone cheaper match day prices for fans who pay on teh gate, as this would be a devlauation of my ST. Which if a cheaper match ticket were offered I would return, and pay on the gate, costing the club money in teh short term !)

Really? Most of them are used to playing in front of crowds of a few hundred, so the half empty stadium probably doesn't bother them. There has been little booing of the players or the manager as yet.

Could it be that this call for support is more for his benefit than for the players? Every match that we fail to win proves that the poor fella is out of his depth.

Agree 100 percent. What excuse does he have if the crowd are behind the team from the off (which I have no doubt we will be) then the team puts in another dire performance?

I shall be there as always, and I shall support the team during the match BUT if we have yet another inept display (and God knows there have been enough of those over the last 4 years), then I will bloody well moan!!There is a big difference between being positive and being realistic. I like many others have had any trace of positivity knocked out of me over the years. This is Saints we`re talking about!:mad:

Ah but thats not the only reason is it as the first two years in the Championship we had good crowds even last year they were far higher than this why ?

Thus they are offering a far SUBSTANDARD product at the same price thus crowds have fallen.

What have they offered in return... JP saying "Please stop moaning.. we're trying our best !"

NOT GOOD ENOUGH !

They made their decisions now blame the fans for not turning up.. as I say.. BUNCH OF T**SERS !

(Not that I would condone cheaper match day prices for fans who pay on teh gate, as this would be a devlauation of my ST. Which if a cheaper match ticket were offered I would return, and pay on the gate, costing the club money in teh short term !)

I haven't read the article, but to be frank I don't need to. I have absolutely no doubt there is no blame in there, just a plea for support - but I don't let prejudice get in the way of reality.

God you're a miserable bunch.

Yes, we've had some shocking performances this year on both sides - some shockingly good and more shockingly bad.

You lot seem to have given up after a couple of knocks, that's the kind of spirit that let Paris fall to the Nazis.

Whilst mentioning the war, instructive also to look at the part that Quisling paid in Norway's fall to the Nazis. ;)

Yes, we've had some shocking performances this year on both sides - some shockingly good and more shockingly bad.

You lot seem to have given up after a couple of knocks, that's the kind of spirit that let Paris fall to the Nazis.

Im Sorry?!! This is not a "couple of knocks! This is becoming the culmination of 5-6 years of complete dross. Inept displays on the field(during and after the relegation season), boardroom shenanigans that , if they were put out as a soap opera on TV wouldn`t be believed, are just 2 reasons why.

Very dangerous ground by Jan here.

Considering all the rubbish we have put up with in recent years, I think those who have turned up this season have been remarkably patient and supportive of himself and the team.

I have heard very limited amounts of stick aimed at either the players, the manager or even the board so far. I probably would have expected more considering the trouncings and performances we have recently had to put up with (i.e. last four games have been, 1 point, 10 goals conceded and 1 scored).

I think very few supporters have problems with the players as we appreciate the fact that many of them probably aren't up for it. However, the manager and board have made mistakes this season, so perhaps an apology would be better than questioning our support.

Thousands have shown their displeasure by walking away, methinks he is treading on thin ice by questioning the support of the hardcore who are left.

Maybe the headline should have read:

"Fans in plea to Poortvliet".

I shall be there as always, and I shall support the team during the match

Which is all he is asking and entitled to ask, equally, he must ensure that every, every effort is put in by those he selects and make the changes when it is clear they are not, this will ensure the resentment felt by some stays off the field.

He is out of his depth because he is having to play kids and the senior players are being sold all around him? That honestly indicates he is out of his depth does it? Reality check time!! Alex Fergusson would struggle to get a team so young and inexperienced to play great on a regular basis.

He was brought in because this is what he does. He gets the best out of kids and kids is all we have. Without trying to be overly dramatic, he is our only chance. If he doesn't get it working then we will be in the division below this one. I doubt the bank would even offer up the money to sack him, so it's pretty much a one horse race. We either sulk and say we are **** and go down, or we get behind them and believe in them to survive, and then push on from that place.

Considering all the rubbish we have put up with in recent years, I think those who have turned up this season have been remarkably patient and supportive of himself and the team.

I have heard very limited amounts of stick aimed at either the players, the manager or even the board so far. I probably would have expected more considering the trouncings and performances we have recently had to put up with (i.e. last four games have been, 1 point, 10 goals conceded and 1 scored).

I think very few supporters have problems with the players as we appreciate the fact that many of them probably aren't up for it. However, the manager and board have made mistakes this season, so perhaps an apology would be better than questioning our support.

Thousands have shown their displeasure by walking away, methinks he is treading on thin ice by questioning the support of the hardcore who are left.

Agreed 100%.

My plea to Pootvliet is; 'leave now you clueless fraud'. Put Wotte in charge.

I haven't read the article, but to be frank I don't need to. I have absolutely no doubt there is no blame in there, just a plea for support - but I don't let prejudice get in the way of reality.

So what version of "REALITY" would that be ? The reality that states that Saints haven't been absolute tripe at home this season and that Fans aren't paying over the odds for devalued cr*p ?

I understand that he is just asking for Support from the fans and that is what he has got so far this season with no return from him on his part.. just tripe again and again and again...

Therefore why should we not moan ?

As I say they (RL and JP) currently just expect Fans to turn up pay their money clap and cheer and put up with cr*p time in and time out.. thus my point that they are totally out of touch with "REALITY"

even if we win they would find something to complain about:D

Would you honestly describe the season so far as suffering "a couple of knocks"

:rolleyes:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/

Jan asking the fans to stop moaning....the players are working hard...

Croc of ****e IMO

Jan wants to get REAL, and realise that he has been lumbered with a NO WIN situation

He has BOYS, not MEN ....... and HE, and those BOYS, are completely lacking in experience at this level

He NEEDS to tell Rupert Lowe that LOWE's Brainchild is DEAD IN THE WATER, because the only person that will not accept it is Lowe himself

Lowe getting Poortvliet to appeal to the Fans is a Pathetic move ...... Over a VERY long period, Saints Fans have been Very tolerant, Loyal, and Supportive

BUT WE HAVE NOW HAD ENOUGH ...... We have had enough of Lowe and all that he stands for, his Doctrine, and his Obsession with the PLC at the expense of FOOTBALL .......... as we knew for so long under Bates and McMenemy at the Dell

Tonight, I am sure there will be little to cheer on the pitch

Should Lowelife and Quisling Wilde have the bottle to show up, my suggestion is to start the GET OUT NOW process

There is precious little else to shout about

He is out of his depth because he is having to play kids and the senior players are being sold all around him? That honestly indicates he is out of his depth does it? Reality check time!! Alex Fergusson would struggle to get a team so young and inexperienced to play great on a regular basis.

He was brought in because this is what he does. He gets the best out of kids and kids is all we have. Without trying to be overly dramatic, he is our only chance. If he doesn't get it working then we will be in the division below this one. I doubt the bank would even offer up the money to sack him, so it's pretty much a one horse race. We either sulk and say we are **** and go down, or we get behind them and believe in them to survive, and then push on from that place.

Hear, hear, I think that just about how it is.

The Achilles heel of your post is the bit about "When they win"

Even through the "Relegation" Seasons at The Dell, when we had Le God, there was never such a defeatist atmosphere as there is now

THEN, we always thought we were in for a shout, to get victory's against the best sometimes

BUT NOT NOW ...... I look at the Team that Lowe has forced upon Poortvliet, and I despair ......... I honestly cannot see where the next WIN is coming from

Le God haf more enthusiasm in his little finger, than Lowe's "love child" McGoldpr*ck ever will have .......... "die for the cause" is an expression alien to most at St Mary's

NOT GOOD ENOUGH !

no still go for the simple explanation -premiership is getting to be a distant memory so fans keep declining, and therefore less season ticket holders so lower base line of attendees. Also last year we had the positive hangover of the play off season , this year the negative one from last seasons rubbish.

and then this seasons results.

If we win the crowds will come back - may not win with Lowe -but if we do the crowds will be back whoever is in charge.

Sadly this is the rubbish that Lowe wants you to believe. Some experienced management would almost certainly get these youngsters, with a blend of experience playing better and getting more points than a third rate, inexperienced head coach who clearly has no understanding of the English game. Jan is a nice bloke who has been put in a position that he has no qualifications for, and no experience to fall back on to help him. I would not boo him or call for his head, because anyone in his position would have grasped the opportunity with both hands and hoped that things would turn out better. Ferguson would for sure have got better results from the team, largely because he would have stuck with the basics that the players have grown up with and fully understand, and he would also have looked around the other divisions and brought in cheap, honest experieinced pros to give the talented youngsters some experience and muscle.

Lastly, and by no means least, when Lowe walked in and told him that he had to loan out his 3 top strikers, Ferguson would have said "**** off you ****", and thrown several cups and boots at him.

It is the people that believe there is no option who are the ones who have given up. We are being killed off by bad decisions by mad men who do not understand either football or finances.

The Achilles heel of your post is the bit about "When they win"

Even through the "Relegation" Seasons at The Dell, when we had Le God, there was never such a defeatist atmosphere as there is now

THEN, we always thought we were in for a shout, to get victory's against the best sometimes

BUT NOT NOW ...... I look at the Team that Lowe has forced upon Poortvliet, and I despair ......... I honestly cannot see where the next WIN is coming from

Le God haf more enthusiasm in his little finger, than Lowe's "love child" McGoldpr*ck ever will have .......... "die for the cause" is an expression alien to most at St Mary's

absurd comparison - the top player in the country playing for us in the permiership was better then a cheap 19 year old playing to a lower half CCC side - shock! I am not sure about JP and how well he will eventually be remembered but I think its fair to say if we could afford MLT he would play him over DMG

Sadly this is the rubbish that Lowe wants you to believe. Some experienced management would almost certainly get these youngsters, with a blend of experience playing better and getting more points than a third rate, inexperienced head coach who clearly has no understanding of the English game. Jan is a nice bloke who has been put in a position that he has no qualifications for, and no experience to fall back on to help him. I would not boo him or call for his head, because anyone in his position would have grasped the opportunity with both hands and hoped that things would turn out better. Ferguson would for sure have got better results from the team, largely because he would have stuck with the basics that the players have grown up with and fully understand, and he would also have looked around the other divisions and brought in cheap, honest experieinced pros to give the talented youngsters some experience and muscle.

Lastly, and by no means least, when Lowe walked in and told him that he had to loan out his 3 top strikers, Ferguson would have said "**** off you ****", and thrown several cups and boots at him.

It is the people that believe there is no option who are the ones who have given up. We are being killed off by bad decisions by mad men who do not understand either football or finances.

but they still would have gone. They won't pay for free -even with Fergie!

I dont agree with that. I think you are being a little dewey eyed about those days when we were fighting relegation. There were loads who didnt think we would win and couldnt see where the next point was coming from.

As for 'die for the cause' those young lads have spent more time at the club than a lot of fans and do want to do well . Dont fall for the 'they dont care' mantra because they do.

What he perhaps doesn't realise is that nobody is having a go at him or the kids.

All of the dissent is aimed at Lowe and the Quisling.

Absolutely. Well said. Jaan if you or any of the lads read these forums please understand our frustration/anger is with the t055ers in the board room and not with you.

Excellent point .........and that illustrates very simply, the difference betweena MANAGER ...... and a Lowe YES MAN ........

As you say, Lowe would have lasted a minute with Ferguson, and Keane, Keegan, Alladyce even ........ plus of course, NIGEL PEARSON

Our Team are curently VERY VERY POOR ............ it is Lowelife that has dictated that.

ANY Manager can only use the players at his disposal ........... regardless of what you think of Poortvliet, he is on a hiding to nothing .......

...... But, If he was a MAN instead of a MOUSE ...... he too would tell Lowe to get Stuffed, and walk out ......... he might just as well, because the remaining Fans will take it out on him soon ..........

#

I agree. What is also quite telling is that this is a complete mind shift from what he was saying even last week, in terms of promotion and play off places. It is the first time he has wheeled out "last years staying up on the last day with better players etc etc."

He is a man under pressure and as you said, the fans have been pretty tolerant so far, even though i havent met any that wouldnt have changed the system ages ago...... lets just hope that the hardcore we are down to, really are just that....hardcore

This piece is a bit poor.

Citing the Chelsea - Liverpool 'goal fest' on Sunday as an example to how we can score more goals, saying we failed to find the net in the last match (but not mentioning the previous two blanks as well) and then claptrap about supporting the team.

The team has got off lightly in some of the games recently. Blimey, last week i thought the Saints support at Brammall Lane towards the end, although flat, was like we'd snuck all three points. Young or not, there has been some really poor performances from the likes of DMG. And in the 6 games i've been to i've not heard a cross word against the players.

But, If he was a MAN instead of a MOUSE ...... he too would tell Lowe to get Stuffed, and walk out

Yes, that's what a real man would do. Or just maybe, he thought he might relish the challenge and do his very best in getting a youth team to play to the best of their abilities. There have been many decisions where I work that I have disagreed with. If I told them to get stuffed each time, I very much doubt I would be in employment at the moment. The way I see it, he is a bigger man for not walking away and still wanting this club, our club, to do well. It is obvious to me that this team and manager care more about this club than many previous incarnations.

Whilst mentioning the war, instructive also to look at the part that Quisling paid in Norway's fall to the Nazis. ;)

While we're at it, you could also consider that 338,226 troops were rescued from Dunkirk but 1,452,000 landed back in Normandy 4 years later. If it were anything like Saints, we'd only have been able to muster 150,000 because the other 180,000 had decided to take up gardening and macramé instead :smt096

He actually played a rather peripheral part in the fall of Norway - in fact his proclaimation on April the 9th (where he unilaterally announced himself as Germany's puppet president after the German invasion) is widely thought to have strengthened the will of Norweigan forces not to surrender, who prior to his actions looked likely to follow the example of the Danish forces who had surrended earlier that day. As such it is generally accepted that he actually postponed the fall of Norway by several weeks until June 10th. The argument that Quisling betrayed secrets of Norways defense don't really hold water since he had no role in government since 1933 and had no direct knowledge of the restructuring of the defences in the late 1930s.

I can understand Jan's call to get behind the team but I don't think he's looking at the bigger picture. In the current climate, when money amongst fans is tight, to justify spending £24 a game watching (what is mainly) last year's reserve/youth team (who, last year, you could see for free) is difficult.

Don't get me wrong, I love my team and, ordinarily, it really wouldn't bother me that, if and when I can eke out the funds to watch games, I have to watch less established players. But there has to be a product worth watching and what I have seen this year has been poor, with the antics (and apparent lack of application) of players like DMG leaving me feeling that I'm wasting my time and valuable money (which it breaks my heart to say).

Lowe and Wilde at this club means NO HOPE!!!

There is no way Saints will ever turn things round with them at the helm.

So most fans including myself have given up until they go.Yes I will risk administration as this club will never revive with them still here which is why many Saints are deserting the sinking ship.

I could of gone tonight but have decided to work instead!!Final straw letting John go so we have no goalscorer.

So Reason for not going isthere is currently no hope for this club imho.Usually I would look forward to watching Saints and hope they might win.Now I can't even do that.

That's a general trend, but the extent is largely determined by the size of the club and passion of the support.

I believe we have about 10k that would probably go regardless. I'd expect that crowd in league 1 or 2. So we're not a small club in those terms, but there are many many bigger, such as Leeds, Forest, Sheff Weds, Man City that have slipped down to League 1 and still got larger crowds than we would.

Many clubs, maybe most clubs have crowds heavily linked to form. It's a shame, but it's certainly the case with us. If we were getting 20k each week despite being rubbish it would make me think we at least deserved a bit more success, but right now our position seems about right and quite fair. Although I do feel sorry for the most passionate fans that go to every home game (which doesn't include myself, i'm rubbish).

I know there is all the stuff about Lowe that many of those who stay away use to rationalise their lack of attendance, but I am nonetheless shocked by how small our real core support has turned out to be. We kept saying we were a big club when we were in the premiership. Well big clubs have more loyal fans than we do, that support their team even when they are crap. Forest and Wednesday in the old 3rd division getting the crowds they did, Villa donkeys' years ago ditto -- that's the sort of support I thought we expected to see here in these tough times. But it turns out many of those fans were just as plastic as they claimed others were.

This is not intended to knock those in financial difficulty who can't afford to come any more, but as to those that can afford it and just can't be bothered to come in case they might actually have to watch their side lose --shame on them. It's that sort of attitude that encourages non-football people like Lowe to think of us as customers, not as fans.

Fair enough, obviously it's up to every individual how he or she spends their money. If you're not coming because you don't rate the standard of football, or are fed up with watching the side struggle, that's up to you, but then don't claim to be a fan; you are indeed a customer.

K.