Cardiff v Saints - Pre Match Build Up

Baj

Well it should be interesting, were not expected to win so you would think the pressure is on them. I will be happy with a decent performance to build upon.

I agree. I think we've got a tough start fixture-wise this year so I'd like to see some good performances to start with. That said, I'm pretty optimistic given some of the pace and movement shown in pre-season.

Well the season starts today.

Much optimism with a new board, management team, playing system and more importantly young players who are hungry to prove their worth.

Will we get a good start?

The last time we won out first game of the season was Coventry away, 1-0 in 1999. Time to do it again?

It will take time for the youngsters to gain experience. We may suprise a few with our 4-2-1-2-1 formation, our pace and eagerness to regain any lost ball. But will we be able to score in front of goal? Will we have the strength to come up against the brute force of this league?

The pre season games against Premier footballers and the brutes that is Stoke City suggest we might.

Bring it on.

Oh, and a prediction? Sorry fellow Saints supporters but we have lost the last three at Cardiff without scoring. I see that pattern continuing today. 1-0 to Cardiff but enough effort to suggest a better season for us overall.

I am optimistic, which I realise is probably not the best, pride coming before falls and all that so I am trying to reel it in but its difficult. As long as the test match is not rained off before 3pm I think I will be able to survive.

I predict a moral victory. The first of many. Lots of effort, lots of positives, getting to know each other....blah blah blah, but no points!

Sorry to be a pessimist but there are no real reasons to think otherwise.

Having said that, I am a fan and I can hope for anything I like. If we get off to a good start then the adrenaline and optimism could begin to flow and we might just surprise a few people.

I think we'll lose, but this is based on not having seen the new team. If we win, or even draw, I will be looking forward to this season a LOT!

COme on the Saints, I'll be at work today - please make it worthwhile....

Can't believe it's the start of the season already, the summer seems to have gone quick. I'm hoping for a good performance, sadly, I think we're a little lightweight upfront....it's an area that worries me, but, maybe for the second half of the season we could have an inform Saga back.

Anyway, I've got to brave the cold and wet to watch Alloa vs Ayr......happy days.

Can't see us ending our opening day blues this season. We always lose in Cardiff and this season we've taken a squad which was pretty much relegation standard and made it a whole lot worse.

I don't think replacing Rasiak, John, Skacel, Saga, Vignal and even Licka and Viafara with accademy hopefulls is going to stand us in good stead.

Can't see us ending our opening day blues this season. We always lose in Cardiff and this season we've taken a squad which was pretty much relegation standard and made it a whole lot worse.

I don't think replacing Rasiak, John, Skacel, Saga, Vignal and even Licka and Viafara with accademy hopefulls is going to stand us in good stead.

early days but Gillet, Schneiderlin and Holmes look head and shoulders better than Licks and Viafara.

vignal has been replaced by Surman.

I just cant wait till 3pm. All the pre-season chat both good and bad goes out the window and we really get to see what our new look set up is capable of. A lot will fall on the shoulders of the experienced players today to ensure our younger lads dont let the occasion get to them. If the line-up is as we expect we have four debutants. James, Spiderman, Thomson & Holmes.

COYR

I'm excited by this season and the fact that after many years of a lack of passion that at least for TODAY we have that again.

Cannot see us beating history so expect to lose no matter whether we really have become the "new Arsenal of the CCC or not" (our record on opening days and Cardiff away) but the time for the talk is over and actions begin.

Bring it on, at least a few hours before depression may set in again on here, it's almost been pleasant of late

Reastically you're right and add in the fact that Cardiff always seem to start well doesn't help either. However, this is the time we can still dream that things will go well so I'm going to pretend that the dutch revolution will work and our players will prove themselves with bright, smart and intelligent football. We'll be the Arsenal of this league (in fact Wenger will be so impressed he'll loan us his best young players).

Just under two hours till reality kicks in.......

early days but Gillet, Schneiderlin and Holmes look head and shoulders better than Licks and Viafara.

vignal has been replaced by Surman.

Early days indeed. This time last season Licka was scoring for fun in preseason, Hammill looked a class apart and we beat someone 12-0. That didn't exaclty set the trend for the season.

I'd have Vignal over Surman anyday of the week at LB. He is far superior both offensively and defensively. All IMHO of course.

I am going for 3-0 to Cardiff. I just hope I don't get outed as being "overly optimistic" come 5pm.

Early days indeed. This time last season Licka was scoring for fun in preseason, Hammill looked a class apart and we beat someone 12-0. That didn't exaclty set the trend for the season.

I'd have Vignal over Surman anyday of the week at LB. He is far superior both offensively and defensively. All IMHO of course.

I am going for 3-0 to Cardiff. I just hope I don't get outed as being "overly optimistic" come 5pm.

F*ck me you're a bundle of fun.

I think the only question is the extent of todays defeat.

Losing 1-0 or 2-1 was about our level last season, with the depleted squad Cardiff should be winning 3-0 or 4-0 today.

Today is IMO the start of our relegation dogfight which will be compounded by straight defeats in our next two games.

Not really being slagged off,just the truth being said.

Not sure really, doesnt seem like they've done much research, the fact that we will be relying almost exclusively on our untested youth was barely touched upon. Nice to see them mention Svensson though!