Saints 1 Reading 3 - The Wake

St Chalet

MOTM V Reading?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM V Reading?

Sharp does not deserve too much criticism. Yes he went down easily but it was a good assist for the goal and he didn't have a lot to work with. A lot of the time, because of the laboured approach play at times, he was left trying to feed off scraps.

Now is not the time to find scapegoats. If anything I would highlight defensive frailties over attacking ones on an individual basis, but this is a team game, and the most *effective* team won the game tonight.

It was a terrific game. The scoreline lies, but that's the way it happens sometimes. I look forward to both teams being promoted and will have no hard feelings at going up in second place to Reading.

However, if WHam somehow overtake us I will have to set fire to a tramp.

Agree totally. Although I will only set fire to a tramp if he is in Portsmouth.

Or Austria.

Good performance, Reading just too effective - channel the anger into the Peterborough match and smash them.

Davis 7 - couldn't stop any of there goals

Butterfield 7 - constant crossing was good, some worked, some didn't

Fonte 5 - failed to deal with Roberts, messed up for 3rd goal

Hooiveld 7 - dealed with Roberts better, could have scored from a corner or two

Fox 6 - didn't quite come off for him today but some great corners unfinished

Hammond 6 - shame he was caught out for their 2nd, but generally lead the team well

Cork 7 - good passing, good movement, good performance

Chaplow 5 - didn't cross the ball well, 1 mi****, poor discpline lead to early sub

Lallana 8 - really positive energetic performance, what a player

Sharp 7 - the endeavour was there, the cutting edge was snuffed out by an awesome Reading backline

Lambert 7 - dominated Pearce in the first half as Roberts did to Fonte, but wasn't quite involved enough at the end for me

De Ridder 8 - fantastic energy, caused them problems, great work to stop Roberts

Guly 6 - good passing but didn't change the result

That hurts ... Though not downhearted. A win on Tuesday and things will look better. They have the best defence in the division and it showed tonight. If we had put any other team under that sort of pressure it would have been a walk over

Fox gave the ball away in the build up to Readings first, Poor marking for Readings second, and a combination of a crap header from Guly and some woeful defending by Fonte led to Readings 3rd. Mistakes like that and you will get punished.

Yep. Add in Hammond giving the ball away for their second too.

Personal errors cost us big time.

Nigel goes on about our squad but it was found out tonight

Reading missing two key midflelders and bring on Subs like Lefondre

Chaplow struggles and our subs De Ridder and Guly made no impact at all!

De ridder did ok but takes to long on the ball, Guly just slowed the pace of the game when we needed to be at thre throats

Well the fight is on for 2nd now. Unless Brighton do us a big favour it is going to get very nasty. Would we go through in the dreaded play offs ?

Not a chance. Look at the teams current in 3rd to 9th. We have very patchy records against them. We could get Cardiff, Brum, Blackpool or Brighton.

There was no cheating

There was no robbing

There was no mugging

Reading are a good team. Their defending, movement, counter play, energy levels and agression get the job done. They withstood our pressure and hit us as soon as we literally took our eye off the ball.

By contrast we are too casual, too slow, too into one touch too many and the clever pass.

Rickie was the best player on the pitch, but there was far too many screw-ups in midfield and our defence is f**king shocking.

Reading are the Champions, and over 46 games will have earned it.

Us ? We have some serious sh*t soul searching and work to do in the next few days to prevent this season being for nought.

Agree 100% with this. For all our possession, most of it was in front of their back four, our finishing was poor apart from a few odd attempts. We were neither robbed or cheated - there were no pens in there at all.

Yeah we played some nice football at times - but was it effective - nope. They had three chances, gave the ball some violence and scored every time. There was nothing lucky about their win tonight.

Don't know where this leaves us in terms of confidence - but it ain't been a good night.

Fonte was shocking and Fox not much better. As others have said if we'd been more clincal up front we would have won but they didn't put the ball away with poor headers from Jos and Lalana. Lalana is flattering to decieve at the moment. All tricks but no substance

Good performance, Reading just too effective - channel the anger into the Peterborough match and smash them.

Davis 7 - couldn't stop any of there goals

Butterfield 7 - constant crossing was good, some worked, some didn't

Fonte 5 - failed to deal with Roberts, messed up for 3rd goal

Hooiveld 7 - dealed with Roberts better, could have scored from a corner or two

Fox 6 - didn't quite come off for him today but some great corners unfinished

Hammond 6 - shame he was caught out for their 2nd, but generally lead the team well

Cork 7 - good passing, good movement, good performance

Chaplow 5 - didn't cross the ball well, 1 mi****, poor discpline lead to early sub

Lallana 8 - really positive energetic performance, what a player

Sharp 7 - the endeavour was there, the cutting edge was snuffed out by an awesome Reading backline

Lambert 7 - dominated Pearce in the first half as Roberts did to Fonte, but wasn't quite involved enough at the end for me

De Ridder 8 - fantastic energy, caused them problems, great work to stop Roberts

Guly 6 - good passing but didn't change the result

How on earth does Lallana merit an 8 ? He is totally ineffectual.

Chaplow struggles and our subs De Ridder and Guly made no impact at all

Thought both payed well when they came on, but the team didn't do enough to win.

De Ridder especially played very well when he came on. Beat Harte constantly, crossed well. He also got into some great positions, then we refused to play him in.

Chaplow struggles and our subs De Ridder and Guly made no impact at all

Thought De Ridder played well when he came on.

We will win on Tuesday and beat Cov home.....we will not beat Middlesbough as it is on tv

Actually had us to lose this 2-1 on the bbc predictor although in the end not sure how we lost. Looks like Reading are having a run similar to ours a few weeks ago (winning lucky).

Our big problem is we now have two tricky away games before the easiest in our run-in. If the next one goes badly and the Hammers make up the points the Coventry match will be a whole lot harder than it should.

How on earth does Lallana merit an 8 ? He is totally ineffectual.

alps, if giving him an 8 is not realistic, neither is saying he was ineffectual. He was tidy and clever at times but didn't have enough end product IMO.

Shouldn't get too down though, we only really need 6 points given our GD and with P'Boro and Coventry still to play we are still in a good position.

Honestly if we can't see those two off we don't deserve promotion.

Just calming down now. I suppose the big question is how Wham perform tomorrow. A draw or especially a defeat and it looks good.

alps, if giving him an 8 is not realistic, neither is saying he was ineffectual. He was tidy and clever at times but didn't have enough end product IMO.

Ergo, ineffectual. Apart from entertaining some little kids and blue-rinse brigade members with his tidiness and cleverness

Disappointing. At the end of the day we missed Morgan who can dicatate the game better. It is worrying how easily we get picked off against the good sides though. Fonte hasn't been great all season and was really poor for their third. Chaplow also did absolutely nothing.

If we go up we need a faster central defender and we need to sort out RM. It's all a bit of a mess at the moment.

Not a chance. Look at the teams current in 3rd to 9th. We have very patchy records against them. We could get Cardiff, Brum, Blackpool or Brighton.

You are without doubt the worst follower (you're not a supporter) that this club has.

Shouldn't get too down though, we only really need 6 points given our GD and with P'Boro and Coventry still to play we are still in a good position.

Honestly if we can't see those two off we don't deserve promotion.

Arrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh.........fuuuck off you ***t. We don't deserve to go up? What planet do live on. West ham don't deserve to go up. We have been in the top two ALL season.

I'm ****ed off to say the least, in 40 years of supporting Saints I'd hoped that at least once in my lifetime I'd see us win a title. From the position we were in before tonight I thought it was a possibility, can't see it now. Wanted to see us bury Reading and get one step further to it, can't see it happening now, and ****ed off about tonight's result is an understatement. Better ****ing win next week at Peterborough.

Disappointing. At the end of the day we missed Morgan who can dicatate the game better. It is worrying how easily we get picked off against the good sides though. Fonte hasn't been great all season and was really poor for their third. Chaplow also did absolutely nothing.

If we go up we need a faster central defender and we need to sort out RM. It's all a bit of a mess at the moment.

OK, now I am getting perspective. We can only do our best. If we are not good enough for promotion this year, then maybe it will give us another year to build. In the meantime we can only give it our best shot. Posh and Cov are winnable games. Tuesday is massive ! As I said before, I think Wham will take 12 points from the next four.

Very dissapointed, we were well and truly mugged tonight. Reading were very lucky tonight, but fair play they did what we did to Leeds the other day. On to posh and we need to smash them and put us on the brink.

Ummm think they did Reading. Smashing them may not be too easy - they will fancy their chances after tonight.

Edit: Actually, reading all of your post, how the hell were Reading lucky, we were not mugged - we were well beaten by a very organised team.

Edited by Micky