New Kits 2012-13

bender

Do you like the new kit?  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new kit?

• Good lord yes!
    • Good heavens no!
    • Is this really all we have to talk about?

At last, someone speaks sense. It's not a bad kit, not the most imaginative granted but its not blue and it is a home kit I can wear which is more than can be said for the usual deckchair we have. I liked the sash best. Some football fans are really stuck in a rut and any moaning will soon disperse once we've got half-a-dozen more signings on board and pre-season starts proper.

Odd that people think dislike of the kit is somehow linked to the team, our performance etc. Two totally different issues. I'll get excited when we sign players, will go nuts when we score/win, but I can guarantee you that at very single game at home I will think. "Christ that kit is ****".

The problem is that the majority of people on this forum are the 'older generation' and the 'older generation' definitely don't like change.

I bought the wrong cerial for my nan once and she started crying.

That's basically what the 'older generation' of Saints fans on this forum have done, they're so used to seeing 'saints play in Red and White!!!' that they forget the years when we had blue shorts, wore quarters, had a full red shirt with tiny white shoulder patches (1985-87).

I always think it's great when a football club just goes 'F**K it' and make a kit that will be remembered.

Have no problem with a shirt that will be remembered. Just wish it wasn't for being incredibly bland, and like a Tyro league club.

Really dont understand the tacky logos on last years home kit and this years. I suspect the logo on the new away kit is equally as tacky, its just not visible on the white shirt.

Last years away kit has a more sophisticated and tasteful logo.

As someone has said, these kits look utterly rushed and lacking in thought.

Our colours are red and white. This shirt is... Erm... Red and white.

Fair play to Nic and whoever was involved in the decision for deciding that 'true' red and white stripes are intrinsically linked with our past failures. Time to move on and evolve our identity.

Yeah, last season in red & white stripes was just f*ckin awful. As was 76. 79. 2003.

Well, say what you will about the importance of fabric, but the news story on the front page has generated 800 views in just 4 hours, that I believe is unprecidented.

I bet they're all thinking "it's crap" too. Or at least 50% of them judging by the poll.

"Sorry" about the 4 recaps, the wife was watching Sex In The City the movie, it's well over 2 hours long and I had to find something to do. :(

Just wondering, are the other images (Tadanari Lee, etc) from Saints twitter or Official FB ?

Really dont understand the tacky logos on last years home kit and this years. I suspect the logo on the new away kit is equally as tacky, its just not visible on the white shirt.

Last years away kit has a more sophisticated and tasteful logo.

As someone has said, these kits look utterly rushed and lacking in thought.

I imagine the Umbro meeting went something like "What haven't we done?" "...Pinstripes?" "Perfect. Dish out some of those for the Swedes n'all"

I imagine the Umbro meeting went something like "What haven't we done?" "...Pinstripes?" "Perfect. Dish out some of those for the Swedes n'all"

Sweden got theirs first, but why didn't they say "I hear they like a nice broad white stripe..."?

Well I seem to have voted 'good heavens, no', but this is due to my fingers being too fat for my iPhone! Actually wanted the one at the bottom.

Not overly enamoured of either kit at the moment but to be brutally honest, some of the mewling on here's effin embarrassing! For those carping on about how Southampton always wear red and white stripes, ******. For the entire of the 1980's we did not have one fully striped kit.

Get over it. Nice to see that the goodwill of our return to the prem can be so easily scuppered. Bodes well for the trials of the season ahead.

I think The9 is entitled to be a bit smug after alpine threw his toys out of the pram.

I "threw my toys out of the pram" about the kit based on the assumption that his feedback about it was correct, to which he bizarrely answered "you should make your own minds up when you see it ".

Why on earth did he bother telling us about it then ?

He posted in a rather annoying ITK way, I dont see what there is to be smug about.

Moaning about the colour of football kit just about sums it all up. get a life ,

its about moving foward not looking back , turning out the same old , same old. its all about taking it to the next level .

you got to admire the football club for wanting that .some people cant handle change and get stuck in the red and white stripe rut

in the real world the players wear the kit on the pitch .

'Come on you reds'

He posted in a rather annoying ITK way, I dont see what there is to be smug about.

Otherwise known as self presevation. I suspect that it was a careful leak to gauge opinion. I also suspect that the leak didn't provide the full perspective. ;)

Now excuse me, I need a new foil hat.

I think they are very nice.

....and actually, at the risk of sounding like a designer, I think by having one predominantly red and one predominantly white, they have enhanced our identity.

Disagree.

Home shirts reflect the identity of the club, away shirts are disposable and temporary items and therefore are never usually remembered (although our yellow shirts hold an affection due to the cup win/final)

Use of Red and red alone on the home and dismissal of white on the away is not right.

Edited by Colinjb

I "threw my toys out of the pram" about the kit based on the assumption that his feedback about it was correct, to which he bizarrely answered "you should make your own minds up when you see it ".

Why on earth did he bother telling us about it then ?

Because it turned out to be right? And, because there was no picture associated with the "red and white pinstriped shirt" idea, so its a good plan to make your own mind up after actually seeing it. And because no-one had any idea of the shorts and socks, and therefore how the whole effect would look?

If posting in an annoying way was shunned you'd have been gone shortly after you started, you intolerable bore. At least he got something right; a skill seemingly well beyong your fat-fingered grasp.

Don't like the home kit, white (or is it grey?) stripes are far too thin they should be at least twice their width. and then to have red shorts with it just makes it just over poweringly Liverpool like. I don't like Liverpool.

However as others have said maybe it's an age thing as my teenage son likes it and casting my mind back to the to my yuf I wasn't so critical of shirts that now a days look truly horrific.

Are we staying with Umbro after this season ? I hope not if we now have to follow the latest Umbro stylist generic vision which is then used in different ways across their whole client base, we need more individuality.

its about moving foward not looking back , turning out the same old , same old. its all about taking it to the next level .'

Sorry, you've lost me. How is ditching red & white stripes and wearing red shorts "taking it to the next level"?

Presumably you think Hugh Grant wearing a false moustache is 'method acting' too?

Plenty of people on other forums saying stuff such as it not looking like a Southampton shirt, and 'we are doing a Cardiff'

This really has p*ssed me off.

You always post about how concious you are of other fans' opinions on our club - who gives a ****e what they think about our kit?? Seriously? It's a piece of fabric worn on the pitch...

I will always support Southampton, even the pre-season matches at SMS that other dismiss!!, and my dislike of the new Home Kit is a minor irritation however I would ideally prefer to like and admire the home kit of my club.

think cortese is employing psycology and matching us up with manure lol ...in all honesty though, i dont mind it ..

No, I hope he is playing the long game and thinking "A-HA!!!! Oh how they will lap up the return to their beloved stripes next season, when we are in Europe.........."

#crossedfingers