New Kits 2012-13

bender

Do you like the new kit?  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new kit?

• Good lord yes!
    • Good heavens no!
    • Is this really all we have to talk about?

Emotional diarrhoea and exotic hyperbole over a temporary shirt. Who'd have thunk it?

Temporary shirt? Do we get a different one in September then?

I'm not emotional about it. It's rubbish that's all.

It's an interesting question. What was the reaction like when that kit first came out?

We view it as a classic now because we've seen Keegan, Ball, Channon etc in it. Before that though...?

I remember loving that kit when it first came out - it coincided with the signing of Keegan, and didn't get a sponsor's name for a while. I liked the away version even more and I still think they look great. That said, I was 20 in 1980; I think that in general, the younger you are, the more receptive you are to new things. I don't remember too many reactions from those older than me at that time.

I'm not overly enamoured of this season's kit at first glance, but when it all comes down to dust it's a football kit which we'll wear for one season, and the last one from the current manufacturer. I'd say it looks a lot better than a couple I can think of (and which are glimpsed in the video on Saints Player).

Why? You buy shirts because you like them or find them fashionable? Some would say that's dumb.

Easier to understand that people wear shirts that, nine times out of ten, would never be worn in any other setting because they're a symbol of support.

Using that fan's logic, if you don't buy the shirt because you don't like it, you're not supporting the team. So if I go to the game at the Etihad not wearing the latest shirt, I'm not supporting the team. Despite being in attendance, having spent money on the ticket, the travel, everything that comes with it. Oh and not to mention when I sing and shout, applaud, all of that, I'm still not supporting the team. I've not got the shirt, I'm not supporting the team.

Unlike a minority of our fans, I'm not totally brainless, incapable of free thought. I'm not going to ignore my own taste and the club's tradition (despite what people say, whether we've had blue shorts and not a 100% history of red and white stripes, we are Southampton and we play in red and white stripes, not red with some pinstripes) just because to not buy it is to be seen not to be supporting the team. What a load of absolute b*llocks that statement I quoted is.

If someone is willing to call me a lesser fan because I say I don't like the kit, good luck to them. They're completely wrong though and in any case have no right to judge how much of a fan I am anyway.

Some people have raised the bar for over reacting on this one. It's a shirt we will keep for 1 year and it doesn't even look too bad. Okay it looks a bit like a Liverpool kit, but how is that any worse than looking like Stoke, Sunderland or Red Star Belgrade any other season. It's not like we're getting blue shirts with Jobsite on the front.

Temporary shirt? Do we get a different one in September then?

I'm not emotional about it. It's rubbish that's all.

Its not a bad shirt, but not very Saints. A bit more white and it would have been fine. I understand people not liking it, but the extremity is a bit OTT imo.

Unlike a minority of our fans, I'm not totally brainless, incapable of free thought. I'm not going to ignore my own taste and the club's tradition (despite what people say, whether we've had blue shorts and not a 100% history of red and white stripes, we are Southampton and we play in red and white stripes, not red with some pinstripes) just because to not buy it is to be seen not to be supporting the team. What a load of absolute b*llocks that statement I quoted is. If someone is willing to call me a lesser fan because I say I don't like the kit, good luck to them. They're completely wrong though and in any case have no right to judge how much of a fan I am anyway.

Just because someone is of the opinion that something is sh!t doesn't mean they are worked up. Just an opinion.

You stand by that Aintforever? :)

Its not a bad shirt, but not very Saints. A bit more white and it would have been fine. I understand people not liking it, but the extremity is a bit OTT imo.

Well indeed, if you asked someone about Southampton's kit, what would they say? They'd say Southampton play in red and white stripes. Would they say they play in red with white pinstripes? No. As I've just said, okay we've not had a 100% history of red and white stripes, we've even had blue shorts. Fine. But what are we known for? Red and white stripes.

I think saying it's like Cardiff's current situation is a bit extreme but at the same time I can see why people are pretty unhappy.

You stand by that Aintforever? :)

I'm not worked up over the kit. I don't like it, I shan't buy it. That's been my stance since it was announced.

Mongs questioning levels of support has always annoyed me. I was told last season I was a plastic because I went to Palace away but not Hull. I'm not having it.

Just because someone is of the opinion that something is sh!t doesn't mean they are worked up. Just an opinion.

I would suggest that people refering to a plain red shirt as "utterly f**king s**t," are getting a little bit worked up.

'Boring', 'not really Saints', 'a bit too much like Liverpool' 'I don't like it' - That's all fair enough, but some people are talking as if it's got a life-sized portrait of John Westwood on the front.

Using that fan's logic, if you don't buy the shirt because you don't like it, you're not supporting the team. So if I go to the game at the Etihad not wearing the latest shirt, I'm not supporting the team. Despite being in attendance, having spent money on the ticket, the travel, everything that comes with it. Oh and not to mention when I sing and shout, applaud, all of that, I'm still not supporting the team. I've not got the shirt, I'm not supporting the team.

Unlike a minority of our fans, I'm not totally brainless, incapable of free thought. I'm not going to ignore my own taste and the club's tradition (despite what people say, whether we've had blue shorts and not a 100% history of red and white stripes, we are Southampton and we play in red and white stripes, not red with some pinstripes) just because to not buy it is to be seen not to be supporting the team. What a load of absolute b*llocks that statement I quoted is.

If someone is willing to call me a lesser fan because I say I don't like the kit, good luck to them. They're completely wrong though and in any case have no right to judge how much of a fan I am anyway.

Not saying that - there's zero relationship between wearing a shirt and your commitment. Just saying that among those who buy shirts, they're bought and worn because they express support, not because they are a fashion statement as most are hideous. In other words, it doesn't really matter what they look like.

I would suggest that people refering to a plain red shirt as "utterly f**king s**t," are getting a little bit worked up.

'Boring', 'not really Saints', 'a bit too much like Liverpool' 'I don't like it' - That's all fair enough, but some people are talking as if it's got a life-sized portrait of John Westwood on the front.

I think the people falling over themselves to be disingenous about it are expelling the most emotion to be honest.

I took one look at it and decided it was utterly fuc king sh it. Ten seconds max.

I don't need to have an internal monologue or a rationale for my opinion or start pretending it is "temporary" or anything else.

It is appalling. It won't stop me happily living the rest of my life like you weirdos seem to be suggesting. But it is still utterly fu cking ****.

I don't care. But it is sh it.

Strange why grown men get so worked up by the colour and design of an acrylic shirt.

Followed by the outrage over the rights and wrongs of singing NA's red and white army when "we only play in red FFS".

Jesus wept.

Edited by shurlock

Not saying that - there's zero relationship between wearing a shirt and your commitment. Just saying that among those who buy shirts, they're bought and worn because they express support, not because they are a fashion statement as most are hideous. In other words, it doesn't really matter what they look like.

Then I'm afraid I just can't understand that. If I don't like something, I'm not going to buy it. I didn't buy the 2005/06 shirt as I thought it was horrible. I wore my 84 replica instead that season, that expressed support just as well as any other Southampton shirt could have.

That fellow was indeed inferring a link between liking or not liking a shirt and the level of support. I think to buy something you don't like just because it says one thing or another is utter stupidity and blind loyalty.

Followed by the outrage over the rights and wrongs of singing NA's red and white army when "we only play in red FFS".

Jesus wept.

I agree with you there however. That's just insanity.

Don't like that shirt design at all, but luckily I'm on a budget to pay for a wedding so its saved me cash by making it unappealing. All its missing is the Crown Paints sponsor and a tall Liverpudian striker up front...[/QUOTE]

We're halfway there.

I expected a bad reaction from this forum and probably 50% of Saints fans in general, but I didn't expect this.

Some of the reactions have been downright pathetic.

'This is almost as bad as Cardiff going from red to blue!!' What? We've always played in Red and White.

We have a Mainly Red (admittedly) and white kit? We haven't gone from red and white stripes to Green or Blue have we, so it's nowhere near as bad as the Cardiff situation.

For the record, I genuinely think if someone tried that at Saints there'd be protests outside the stadium.

For me it's nice to have a change, to shake things up a bit and have something a bit different every now and again, not every season, but every 3-5 years have an all red kit or an all white kit or something? Can't see the harm in that myself.

It may be 'blasphemous' of me to say this according to some wrist-slitters on this thread, but I get bored with the same old lazy red and white stripes every season. I also get bored with all the people that go 'oh the away shirt has to be yellow!' why, because we won the FA Cup in it in 1976? Like 36 years ago?! 'Oh and if we don't have a yellow away kit we can't sing YELLOWS YELLOWS!!'

Just look at some of Sheffield United and Stokes kits in the last 15 years, hardly any variation whatsoever 'but those are their traditional colours!' that's true, but it's still boring as hell as it shows no inspiration.

I think what Cortese has done is taken a chance, gone 'we've had red and white stripes now for the past 22 years (apart from 2010-11) and said f**k let's have a change' Maybe he's bored of the traditional red and white stripes too?

I've seen numerous threads on the new kits over the last 6 years on this forum and some years people complain because there isn't enough variation. I remember when the 2008-10 shirt came out everyone was excited as it was our first Umbro kit, but then it came out and alot of people on this very forum were like 'oh its just red and white stripes traditional, bit uninspiring and bland, won't be buying' etc. but when the club DOES do something new, something risque, you don't like it?

Still haven't made my mind up on the home kit. I think I'd like it but I feel the aap3 logo just ruins it - looks mickey mouse.

Personally think it would look better with black shorts and white socks.

Love the away (would actually prefer that to be the home kit).

To all those complaining about it being 'not Saints' because it's not red and white stripes, well actually it is red and white stripes (just bl00dy thin ones)

Strange why grown men get so worked up by the colour and design of an acrylic shirt.

Do you mean get worked up like this....?

I expected a bad reaction from this forum and probably 50% of Saints fans in general, but I didn't expect this.

'This is almost as bad as Cardiff going from red to blue!!' What? We've always played in Red and White.

We have a Mainly Red (admittedly) and white kit? We haven't gone from red and white stripes to Green or Blue have we, so it's nowhere near as bad as the Cardiff situation.

For the record, I genuinely think if someone tried that at Saints there'd be protests outside the stadium.

For me it's nice to have a change, to shake things up a bit and have something a bit different every now and again, not every season, but every 3-5 years have an all red kit or an all white kit or something? Can't see the harm in that myself.

It may be 'blasphemous' of me to say this according to some wrist-slitters on this thread, but I get bored with the same old lazy red and white stripes every season. I also get bored with all the people that go 'oh the away shirt has to be yellow!' why, because we won the FA Cup in it in 1976? Like 36 years ago?! 'Oh and if we don't have a yellow away kit we can't sing YELLOWS YELLOWS!!'

Just look at some of Sheffield United and Stokes kits in the last 15 years, hardly any variation whatsoever 'but those are their traditional colours!' that's true, but it's still boring as hell as it shows no inspiration.

I think what Cortese has done is taken a chance, gone 'we've had red and white stripes now for the past 22 years (apart from 2010-11) and said f**k let's have a change' Maybe he's bored of the traditional red and white stripes too?

I've seen numerous threads on the new kits over the last 6 years on this forum and some years people complain because there isn't enough variation. I remember when the 2008-10 shirt came out everyone was excited as it was our first Umbro kit, but then it came out and alot of people on this very forum were like 'oh its just red and white stripes traditional, bit uninspiring and bland, won't be buying' etc. but when the club DOES do something new, something risque, you don't like it?

I think lectures like this are more 'pathetic' than the people simply saying 'it's dreadful'.

I knew it wouldn't be long before soneone started working themselves up into rambling on about 'shaking things up' and being 'inspirational'. Christ.

Its a football kit. And a fuc kin g sh it one at that.

Edited by CB Fry

It's gonna change again in 12 months time. Chill the **** out people.

In 15 years time people might be whining about wanting a return to that 'random red pinstripe 2013 yaarp3 shirt'....

Having said that, I think the 'current' *****il yesterday) shirt might actually be my favourite of all time, damn shame it was only for 12 months.

As expected then. Not a fan of matching shirts and shorts though, on any kit really, I like the contrast.

The matching top and bottom look is 'the look' on the catwalks of Milan, Paris, London and NY this season don't you know?

there have been many many many years we don't.

2 years ago being the last

Many many many?????? I think not ??? The sash yes and the Dimplex monster early 90s but even the xerox/air Florida was a red and white strip of sorts??

You should try and get to some games rather than just sit and snipe from afar? You're a skate arnt you? in the navy sense?

It was more stripes than this Sh&t?

At the time it was modern and received well, this shirt is just another of NC's efforts to undermine the fan base.

I find this odd as it was never his money that saved the club. He wont be around for ever tho, but that's going off topic.

Red and white shirt black shorts is the Southampton template, why change?

I don't buy/wear football shirts for myself but do get them for my nippers, I think I will give this one a miss tho as a protest, He will sell at least 10k tho as the jcl's return to the prem team they left for golf/shopping/gardening/Pompey? a few seasons back.

The much loved and talked about Rank Xerox kit wasn't red and white stripes - but people wanted that this time around.

You can't please 100% of the people100% of the time

At the time it was modern and received well, this shirt is just another of NC's efforts to undermine the fan base.

I find this odd as it was never his money that saved the club. He wont be around for ever tho, but that's going off topic.

I don't buy/wear football shirts for myself but do get them for my nippers, I think I will give this one a miss tho as a protest, He will sell at least 10k tho as the jcl's return to the prem team they left for golf/shopping/gardening/Pompey? a few seasons back.

If your nippers said they wanted the current Saints shirt for this year would you then buy it??

this shirt is just another of NC's efforts to undermine the fan base.

You cannot be serious ?

Just think through what you are talking about here - a football shirt that will only be worn for ONE year ffs !!

I dont particulalry like the shirt, its ok but not brilliant, but to say its come out to undermine the fan base is ridiculous.

Great work!!!!

Not quite as pathetic as someone on fb earlier saying they want to boycott the club and return their season ticket! Reminds me of those people who returned their tickets when they had to pay £1 to park

Truth is, the club have probably done their homework and this kit/colour will be far more popular to buyers in the far east... (red is a VERY lucky colour)

The shame is that so many young fans are seeing this club on the up for the first time and will now associate it with red.

Whatever you say about the design (and in truth I quite like it), could you see Manchester Citeh now playing in light-blue and white stripes, or Manchester United playing in red and white stripes? Or even QPR playing in blue and white quarters...

One-off kits (our centeneray and Arsenal's awful blackcurrant) have a place, but to sacrifice the core of the brand is a risk. It might pay off. It might not.

Meanwhile back at the Cortese Villa... Saturday 8.30am

Theres is a sheepish knock on the study door

NC: Come in

Underling: I bring news sir

NC: Good, how many Season Tickets have we sold now?

Underling: not that sir, of the the reaction to the new shirt?

NC: Why is this news?

Underling: Its not good sir

NC: I repeat , why is this news?

Underling: But..but, sir ... the fans, they dont like it sir?

NC: Mhm... who does not like it?

Underling (Remains quiet)

NC: Come on tell me, or do we need the clamps again?

Underling: ...Its...its... the... members of Saintsweb... and even the Mighty FF has spoken - they hate its sir

NC: (slowly stands, walks towards the window and stares out across the Itchen) You know, for a moment there, I thought we had a problem. I Like this ..ere what's he called... Duncano?

Underling: Duncan, Sir

NC: Yes, Duncan...he knows all of the club's history, and he is what they say here 'socialista'?

Underling: Yes sir, with a passion

NC: ..yet he no like red?

Underling: NO sir, says it goes against tradition?

NC: I see. Jeez Feck, commie bast, no like red... well first time for everythig I guess - could understand if it was Duney or one of the other tory boyz but Duncs....

Underling: Maybe not sir, nearly 50% of the posters, they hate its sir...and...and worse still, someone has taken over Trousers house and ruined his carpet

NC: Trouser? who is this Trousers?

Underling: not sure but he has kind face, but dreadful carpet, but was on side sir

NC: Carpet, WTF has carpet got to do with anything?

Underling: ?

NC: Who else dislikes?

Underling: Does it matter sir?

NC: Does it matter? not really, but we must add them to the list

Underling: The list sir? over a shirt? Is that maybe not a bit extreme?

NC: You are questioning my descison?

Underling: NO sir ...er... of course not...just...well.. just its seems harsh sir

NC: Harsh? You think so? (Laughs) - we are on the verge of greatness, promoted 2 times, with plans in place to become a global force and they whinge about a feckin shirt? and you think its harsh they go on the list?

Underling: ...well when put like that sir... you wish me to prepare the 'enforcer'?

NC: Yes, tell him.... tell him we will need his special talent on this one

Underling: Are you sure about this Barone?

NC: Yes, Its the one thing he is good at... and it always gets results.

Underling: Yes sir... you wish to be informed when he arrives?

NC: Yes...but keep it quiet .

Underling leaves the office - NC Turns back to his desk and dials a number in Zurich

NC: Snr Pizannnini ? Yes, Good, Listen, get me a meeting at Adidas, I think we may have a problem.....

(Not) to be continued

Many many many?????? I think not ??? The sash yes and the Dimplex monster early 90s but even the xerox/air Florida was a red and white strip of sorts??

You should try and get to some games rather than just sit and snipe from afar? You're a skate arnt you? in the navy sense?

eer, so..?