New Kits 2012-13

bender

Do you like the new kit?  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new kit?

• Good lord yes!
    • Good heavens no!
    • Is this really all we have to talk about?

Another thing... Many people have said that it is the same as the Liverpool Crown Paints kit. I'm an 80s kid and for me that was a classic design of the 80s.

What's that got to do with it? They're not our colours.

Ah, but now you're basing your opinion on 2 frankly ambiguous photos. Let me ask you a question... Would you be prepared to hold off from making a judgment until you've actually seen it?

I'm not massively crazy about it myself, but equally I'm happy to wait until I see it in the flesh and see what it looks like with eleven of our men out on the hallowed turf of St Mary's; I would hazard a guess that it will become quite a popular kit if we end the season with some very happy memories of watching us play in it.

Another thing... Many people have said that it is the same as the Liverpool Crown Paints kit. I'm an 80s kid and for me that was a classic design of the 80s.

It might be a classic but it's not *our* classic...should we really mark our return to the premier league wearing a dodgy replica of someone else's kit?

Ah, but now you're basing your opinion on 2 frankly ambiguous photos. Let me ask you a question... Would you be prepared to hold off from making a judgment until you've actually seen it?

I'm not massively crazy about it myself, but equally I'm happy to wait until I see it in the flesh and see what it looks like with eleven of our men out on the hallowed turf of St Mary's; I would hazard a guess that it will become quite a popular kit if we end the season with some very happy memories of watching us play in it.

Here's a non Photoshopped version; Chris from Soccer AM.

AwkxyLcCMAEthXJ.jpg

Looks even worse.

And the stuck on logo is laughably poor :lol::lol:

Edited by The Kraken

No, I think I've seen enough to make my mind up - the pics dom't look that ambiguous to me. To be honest it's not that it's a horrific design - more it's blandness, and generic Sunday league look that offends me most, and I've never liked red shorts with red "striped" shirts - again, just looks very 'Sunday League'. Just doesn't say 'Saints' to me.

And you are right, that was a classic kit - FOR Liverpool! I'd be more than happy with an attractive update of our RX kit or the 78/9 'candy stripes'. All for a bit of retro. Just hate bad design, and this is bad design IMHO.

PS I think he away kit works fine, in fact I like it.

Worst looking kit in all my time supporting Saints ever, shocking mid eighties liverpool replica !

Tonight's sporting headlines: Fashion designer with no knowledge of football receives brief from NC to design a new kit for the Saints. NC tells designer..."Remember, the most important thing is that we play in red; and white".

Think about it...

OK experts out there.

Somebody must have a solution.

How do you remove stuck on plastic from a "plastic" shirt.

Without the aap3 logo that would be acceptable (although think we missed a trick by not having the white as the home version). But WITH the sponosr logo it is in oh dear land

It's not quarters.

Is it plain red with thin white pinstripes?

I don't think that would be very popular !

I've heard it's red with white pinstripes. Turkish said.

It's a bit like the current Umbro Sweden kit template then. Which has two pinstripes close together, then a broad stripe of contrasting colour.

If it does end up being the red with white pinstripes, I'd love our away kit to be white with red pinstripes, which I think looks miles better anyway. We could then keep this season's yellow as a third kit for the inevitable "double clashes".

They sound equally bad - hope its neither.

How can you have a "double clash" between a red shirt and a white shirt?

Well, I would have thought that having a red kit and a white kit would be a problem when playing a team wearing red and white stripes (like, say, Sunderland or Stoke) might be the obvious answer...

I'm bored so back on the kit templates. Going by the rumours and the ITK on here, this is supposedly what it'll look like. God help Cortese if he releases this...

2l8uvt1.png

Hmmmmm.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGORbeUI-AS_zeiY6xdMTDDwQwCS8yYyzfpRTDtV0Y6PiK4OI-5QsGQyNCXg

541279_10150695709471931_708351930_9737854_370080977_n.jpg

Nicola taking the song 'Come on you Reds!!!!' a little too seriously.....

It's just not Saints. If it was white with red pinstripes I think it'd be better. Saints are actually White and Red (White Shirt with Red Stripes) rather than Red and White (Red shirt with White Stripes).

If it is released, it won't be a big hit but I think after a couple of friendlies, it will grow on a lot of people and then go on to be a big hit like last years kit but I don't think it'll have the same initial impact.

Same colour home and away shorts and socks ?

It's not going to be #1, no idea about the away kit.

Could be the difference between us looking a bit like Saints (black) and a lot like Forest (white) or Liverpool (red).

That's a 1980's Liverpool shirt. :-(

We're replacing both kits, just like we have for the past 4 years of the Umbro contract. I'm hopeful that due to the design of the home kit, we'll have the reverse as an away kit, and then keep the yellow for thirds due to clashes, but the fact they've actually reduced it (I haven't checked yet), suggests that's not going to happen, so the away kit probably isn't going to be white.

What about white with red pin stripes?

New Lille shirt by umbro could we be in for this collar? Im guessing either this one or the one on the new Blackburn shirt.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8141/7314015928_e325fee0b7_b.jpg

Bird on twitter earlier revealed the new kits:

AmandaRushforth: @iamsmithy ones white, the other is red with thin white stripes, very professional looking :p

So the home kit is Red with white pinstripes and the away kit is white :)

Think she's a photographer, or possibly a stylist...her twitter profile doesn't really give much a way, but she has pics of the SMS changing rooms and the huge saints logo outside SMS before tweeting that ^^^ so looks legit enough.

This is basically a recap of what we found out between 25 May to 3 June...

What's that got to do with it? They're not our colours.

Our colours are red and white. This shirt is... Erm... Red and white.

Fair play to Nic and whoever was involved in the decision for deciding that 'true' red and white stripes are intrinsically linked with our past failures. Time to move on and evolve our identity.

This is basically a recap of what we found out between 25 May to 3 June...

Wow, good effort on that report Dude

I stand by my previous comment. It'll make it easier to drink & talk football sh1t with Lee Westwood next Feb with him being a Forest fan. REALLY wish we had gone for the white with Red.

What date does the away kit go on sale?

I stand by my previous comment. It'll make it easier to drink & talk football sh1t with Lee Westwood next Feb with him being a Forest fan. REALLY wish we had gone for the white with Red.

That's true Phil. I was saying the exact same thing earlier when I was down the pub with Barack Obama.

billy sharp ‏@billysharp10

Yep I was surprised when I saw the home kit was expecting it to just be the normal red and white stripes,I'm sure we will get used to it.

sounds like the players hate it as well

I'll keep it short :

I don't like it and I won't be buying it.

Saves me some money, I'm fine with that.

I think the away shirt is OK, but not as good as I would like to spend money for it.

The home shirt is a crime as it simply does not represent our colours good enough.

More highlights from the thread :

It's just not Saints. If it was white with red pinstripes I think it'd be better. Saints are actually White and Red (White Shirt with Red Stripes) rather than Red and White (Red shirt with White Stripes).

If it is released, it won't be a big hit but I think after a couple of friendlies, it will grow on a lot of people and then go on to be a big hit like last years kit but I don't think it'll have the same initial impact.

Same colour home and away shorts and socks ?

It's not going to be #1, no idea about the away kit.

Could be the difference between us looking a bit like Saints (black) and a lot like Forest (white) or Liverpool (red).

That's a 1980's Liverpool shirt. :-(

We're replacing both kits, just like we have for the past 4 years of the Umbro contract. I'm hopeful that due to the design of the home kit, we'll have the reverse as an away kit, and then keep the yellow for thirds due to clashes, but the fact they've actually reduced it (I haven't checked yet), suggests that's not going to happen, so the away kit probably isn't going to be white.

What about white with red pin stripes?

New Lille shirt by umbro could we be in for this collar? Im guessing either this one or the one on the new Blackburn shirt.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8141/7314015928_e325fee0b7_b.jpg

Bird on twitter earlier revealed the new kits:

AmandaRushforth: @iamsmithy ones white, the other is red with thin white stripes, very professional looking :p

So the home kit is Red with white pinstripes and the away kit is white :)

Think she's a photographer, or possibly a stylist...her twitter profile doesn't really give much a way, but she has pics of the SMS changing rooms and the huge saints logo outside SMS before tweeting that ^^^ so looks legit enough.

By collarless I mean no flappy collar, it's a v-neck with conventional elasticated looking v

I do vaguely recall someone said there were a couple of flashes of white on the collar, but I haven't seen where, it's not at the front.

I don't get your logic. If it's changed, it's changed. Whether it's changed a little bit or a lot doesn't make much difference to the people who are going to buy it anyway. The people who decide on a consumer basis will have a number of different personal reasons and tastes, and trying to appeal to them all is a guaranteed way of pleasing no-one

I'd have thought the LAST thing the club would want to do in it's first season back in the top flight for 7 years is to dilute and confuse their branding for the international audience by not wearing the club's traditional shirt style.

After reading 10 pages of this, I have decided to wait until the kit comes out to see what it looks like.

The red shirt has 7 pairs of twinned up stripes, which is what the Sweden shirt has. The middle one is in line with the centre of the shirt.

I'm still not 100% convinced it's not one grey and one white in the pair. They do look like one stripe from a distance, but yes, narrower than the ones above.

5284d781-56fd-b78c.jpg

This is usually where I ask for someone to sticky the thread so we can reflect on it... :D

Everyone's going off rumours and there's a lot of goodwill and faith being put in what only a couple of people have said - but there are two completely separate sources for the same information so far, one of those sources has previous ITKness from last season's kit, the other is completely independent and has made comments without much knowledge of the context. Based on that, I'd say we were pretty confident that at the very least the red kit, which has 7 pairs of white pinstripes on it, is a Saints kit for next season. The rest is guesswork.

I actually think, if there's a reversed away style in white, that it'll outsell the red shirt.

Just to let Itchen Dan know his design is doing the rounds on twitter this evening.

With all due respect to MOGGIE, that kit is f**king hideous.

Why, are you exaggerating its sh*teness then ?

The Sweden home kit has some socks which are mainly plain and massively thin stripey around the middle, we might get those. I'd be surprised if the shorts were anything other than plain black... or plain red... or plain white. Or all three over both kits. Umbro aren't doing much in the way of faffy shorts at the moment, though last season's shorts were plain black, so they might go for a different colour.

Like Eire's ?

article-2157934-138BE8D4000005DC-757_468x307.jpg

F**k me, this kit unveilling fills me with more dread with each passing day....

Our players are going to end up looking like Pippi Longstocking...

but it is red and white..

do you sing.."come on you reds"..?

Be pedantic all you like, but that is not a red and white striped Southampton shirt. We play in red and white stripes. We have changed kit colours. Like Newcastle changing to all black, Blackburn to all blue, Stoke/Sunderland to all red, Celtic to all green, Sheffield United to all red, Sheffield Wednesday to all blue, Palace to just red or just blue, Barcelona to just red or just blue etc etc etc. It's just wrong.

Edited by Griffo

14th July

Be pedantic all you like, but that is not a red and white striped Southampton shirt. We play in red and white stripes. We have changed kit colours. Like Newcastle changing to all black, Blackburn to all blue, Stoke/Sunderland to all red, Celtic to all green, Sheffield United to all red, Sheffield Wednesday to all blue etc etc etc. It's just wrong.

celtic have played in green and white stripes...newcastle used to play in red quarters..ffs

your pain will be over in less than a year

I think they are very nice.

....and actually, at the risk of sounding like a designer, I think by having one predominantly red and one predominantly white, they have enhanced our identity.

FFS GWC we were told only a couple of pages ago that this shirt has complete erased our identity - and then you come out with this... FFS.

Be pedantic all you like, but that is not a red and white striped Southampton shirt. We play in red and white stripes. We have changed kit colours. Like Newcastle changing to all black, Blackburn to all blue, Stoke/Sunderland to all red, Celtic to all green, Sheffield United to all red, Sheffield Wednesday to all blue, Palace to just red or just blue, Barcelona to just red or just blue etc etc etc. It's just wrong.

Suppose I'm seeing things, but I thought there were stripes on the shirt, is it just my PC monitor playing up? Oh well if the shirt is just plain red then I hate it.

I am not overly enamoured with the new kit,but the most important thing is that the players wearing this kit,manage to keep us in the premier league next season.

At last, someone speaks sense. It's not a bad kit, not the most imaginative granted but its not blue and it is a home kit I can wear which is more than can be said for the usual deckchair we have. I liked the sash best. Some football fans are really stuck in a rut and any moaning will soon disperse once we've got half-a-dozen more signings on board and pre-season starts proper.

At last, someone speaks sense. It's not a bad kit, not the most imaginative granted but its not blue and it is a home kit I can wear which is more than can be said for the usual deckchair we have. I liked the sash best. Some football fans are really stuck in a rut and any moaning will soon disperse once we've got half-a-dozen more signings on board and pre-season starts proper.

The more I see of it, the less effort I think went into it. I realise that won't be a universally popular comment but there it is.

Agreed. Boring, bland, un-memorable (except for us - for all the wrong reasons!). Especially disappointing given the last two Umbro kits which were great. Umbro and the club have really lost their way here.

This took us up to the day before yesterday...

Actually the Irish ones have more stripes - the Sweden ones only have about half that number and look much less "busy"...

140171027_crop_650x440.jpg?1337193653

and their away socks are plain with a contrasting turnover like the current Saints home ones.

Also worth pointing out that the Lille socks are plain with a broad band on them with gradated pattern like on the England GK collar (and their away collar).

New-Lille-Kit-2012-13.jpg

Lille-OSC-Shirt-2012.jpg

Speaking of collars...

New-Lille-Jersey-2012-2013.jpg

this is the only plain V-neck I've seen from Umbro so far this season (not including the massive V on the shirt which isn't part of the collar and we definitely don't have).

As we don't even know what colour the socks are going to be, not much point worrying about one out of a few designs at the moment.

Do you mean "we do things differently, why do we do that?" or "why do you think we have to do things differently for the sake of it?" ? Or are you specifically referring to changing the kit style ?

My basic point is that Cortese seems to like being different for the sake of it, as if there's a "better way", which usually involves large amounts of PR failure and annoying the fans for no reason, then when he realises there's a reason everyone else does things a certain way, the club falls in line with the majority. The photographer ban is another example of this.

I believe that the "logic" suggested of changing the kit basically because they're more likely to sell more shirts of a significantly different design because everyone already has a striped shirt is flawed. People will continue to buy shirts of differing striped designs without more or less dumping the stripes altogether.

I think it's probably a theory based on the enormous sales of the sash shirt, but that means they've completely misunderstood the reasons for the massive popularity of the shirt - it was a polo shirt lookalike, so people who don't buy shirts but do buy polos bought it. It was a "one-off" anniversary kit which people liked, as it pulled from the club's history and reflected the 125th Anniversary theme. It didn't have a sponsor on it, so people liked it for that reason too, and it came in a season in which we looked like we'd be successful so people bought into that early on as well.

None of those factors are relevant now. The red pinstripe kit has no historical basis - not Saints and never has been. It's not a polo/passable leisurewear style, it has a sponsor on it, and there's no more mileage in the idea of a "one off change" because they already did it 2 years ago. Plus we're not likely to win anything next season.

The one saving grace of course is that it's our first year back in the Prem, and there's a much bigger potential audience for the kit thanks to all the plastics' renewed interest and a new audience who'd forgotten about us - but as far as branding Saints globally as a team which will regularly wear stripes as part of their identity, it will be a disastrous failure in hooking "new" fans worldwide at the time when interest in the promoted clubs will be at it's highest. Add to that that three of the most globally successful teams are already red shirted, it's not a way of making ourselves stand out, even if Asia does love red kits.

ffs, its just a t-shirt

None of the marketing factors are relevant because we don't have a polo shirt style with quarters. If we did have, fair enough, it might sell as a leisurewear item to a broader audience. But literally the only selling points for the new shirt is that it's a new shirt and Saints are in the Premier League so more people might be interested in buying it compared to when we were in League One.

It's a missed opportunity, no matter how much people do or don't buy into the global marketing element.

Of course, they might shift more of these in the UK than the "best selling" sash, but I'd be shocked if they do. The sash shirt is the match-wear leisure shirt of choice for pretty much anyone over the age of 35, many of whom simply don't usually buy football shirts.

Just occurred to me the other factor in the club thinking that "stripes don't sell" could be the relatively poor sales of this season's shirt compared to the sash - Cortese saw the sash kit break records, and then last season was back to "normal", except that it was only the second time ever that Saints had changed home shirt in two successive seasons (the first time being the "nose breaker" final Friends Provident shirt of the first Championship season, and even then the shorts and socks lasted for 3 years when the first flybe kit came in).

The "new kit every year" factor must be responsible for some decreasing sales.

OK, so we've established the home kit's gonna look like this...

keyyiu.jpg

...and the away is white, so can we assume it's gonna be this...?

21cwodd.jpg

Actually, from looking at the Blackburn (and Rangers) shorts we know the design, we just don't know the colour. They'll be one plain main colour with either a contrast stripe which curves slightly, or the same colour stripe as the main body of the short - but as we did that last season and we're unlikely to try and shift completely plain shorts for two seasons in a row, I'd expect us us to have the contrast stripe.

As it's also now a week before the unveil, it's probably about time to wait and see - then be amazed at how many people have been oblivious about the design despite this thread when it launches on 30th June.

349ao1z.jpg

I'll be a fanny as much as I want; one of our greatest seasons ever coming up and we're going to be dressed like rejects from a Harry Enfield sketch.

Are Umbro supplying curly wigs, 'taches and jemmys to break into cars and house windows ?

It will get a reaction.

Saints are playing in all red this year.

Wait.... what?

I hope you realise what you've done.

People are now saying on Twitter that the above botched photos are 99% the real deal.

Let's examine the facts. The shirts will have a red sleeve. That is all we know. For ****s sake, calm down.

Search the saintsfc hash tag and feast your eyes on some of the idiocy. It beggars belief. 'OH THIS IS VIRTUALLY THE NEW HOME KIT!!!' - no it's not. One person put up a mock up and some other idiot said 'that's what it looks like, I'm ITK, wait and see'.

There are some absolute morons out there and unfortunately a lot of them both have Twitter and support our club.

It was me that posted it on twitter about 10 minutes ago.

I did it as an experiment to see how long it takes before someone re-posts it on this thread going 'The new kit's on twitter'

Nope, but they have obviously actually thought about it for once : "we have a unique separate shirt printing unit on the ground floor of the shopping centre (outside Marks & Spencer)". That should sort it out though why they haven't put on in the West Quay store permanently who knows ?

Yeah, but they're absolutely right morons now... except the one bit of the collar which is red.

lol, christ, thats from this thread !!!

Dude, seriously???

You've blatantly nicked that from this thread you utter weirdo [facepalm]

Tomas Sivok? And perhaps a new goalkeeper to show off the new keepers top. Now that might make up somewhat for the not so hot design.

The simple truth is that but ugly kits get relegated :/ Fact!

Suppose I'm seeing things, but I thought there were stripes on the shirt, is it just my PC monitor playing up? Oh well if the shirt is just plain red then I hate it.

No I think your right and looks like two different shades of red and the forum is just going threw the same old waffle we had when we had the red sash and that sold loads.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Aaaand this gets us up to the launch at 6pm (which was on page 32 !)

Things I have learned from this thread.

No matter how many times you tell people something, they still don't want to believe something they don't like.

Twitter is full of imbeciles, some of whom nick stuff from this thread and some who post on this thread.

trousers is the King of internet memes.

No-one ever bothers reading the last few pages of a thread before posting except me.

The amount alpine and delldays profess to care are negatively correlated - the more alpine complains, the less delldays cares.

Someone at the club may be reading this website for moans and adjusting it's policies accordingly (shirt numbers in West Quay) - although that may not stretch to the home kit.

The club has very successfully hidden every single piece of information other than the home shirt.

This thread is much better at publicising the kit than the club.

The second the kit is released, this thread will become redundant as 5 other threads spring up with everyone expressing outrage about the design they were somehow completely unaware of, even though it's been posted in the last few messages of this thread.

And if the new kit varies in any way from the traditional Saints stripes, Docker-P will come up with an avatar of somebody in a traditional saints shirt p*ssing on it and will then start one of the aforementioned threads expressing the opinion that civilisation as we know it is about to end and how dare Cortese ignore the history of our club.

I think I'll laugh my arse off if the supposed ITKers in this thread have got it wrong.

There's precisely nothing preventing the club swapping them around, especially if the theory is right that there's one red one one white one and one with a piece of ****te on- Which is the three kits I suppose :)

Erm, I just went over to Forest's club shop to see if there was some training kit on there to see what it looked like, and holy crap, remember that "dull" away shirt ?

This one ?

nfc-101939.jpg?width=200&height=200&quality=85

Look at the disgusting socks that come with it ! :o

nfc-101942.jpg?width=100&height=100&quality=85

I REALLY hope we don't use that template, they are vile.

Found the training kit too - is this the one you saw 100%Red&White ? They look remarkably like the last red England away shirt template from 2009 but they're current...

nfc-101969.jpg?width=180&height=180&quality=95

I might be being a bit thick; but is the concept of "English pride" based on the fact that one kit is red and one is white?

Ah, I could have Googled, but... at least I know what Fireball XL5 is, even if it was a couple of years before my time. I will now have to Google a picture anyway to get the reference.

Yeah, I'd say that's about it.

I'm eager to see the away kit. If it's the white shirt with red pin stripes I think I'd prefer that one. Could be more popular. They could almost wear either at home. Not sure if that's in the rules or not.

To summarise : You specify a home and away kit, and wear your home kit at home unless there's going to be a clash.

You can have a third kit if you want. You can only wear your away OR your third kit if you have one, a maximum of 8 times.

You can also have a new home or away kit for the last game of the season provided you wear it the following season.

Or maybe we're trying to bring the kit more in line with the national colours of both England and our Swiss owners? Wouldn't be surprised to see the black gone completely. White shorts? Maybe Navy blue as some have suggested. Would fit with something mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'd guess Lambert, Lallana, Rodriguez, Hooiveld and possibly Jack Cork

Hang on, what? We're not going to be playing in stripes?

84403_450_450_0_0_fit_0_ea8c9616fdae298778de6d52f9db7659.jpg

They may as well have said 'Messi to launch kit?'

Think the admins should get a 'do you like the new kit' poll up right away. Just to see how many people hate it before it's revealed.

I think the promo will be "red and white army" with the players wearing home and away alternate to create a striped effect.

Yup, there we go, Blackburn's 2013 GK shirt is the same as the Norway one (though not the one they wore against England recently):

5644l-1.jpg

We'll probably have that style, depends what colours they have in it.

Kit announcement delayed

source.

http://www.madeitup.com

mulletsaints' last mock-up...

309897_10150889547616931_1122558914_n.jpg

Less than one minute, absolutely guaranteed. Especially if that's it. To be honest I think the overwhelming opinion will be "hate it" and "not Saints".

'mins'?

Think you're getting carried away not measuring it in seconds.

I do love the "i hate it" comments...its just a T-shirt that will change in about 300 days time

If The9 was wrong, maybe he was a club plant.

Certainly I wont be responding to any of his attention-seeking posts again. Time to dust off the ignore list.

A bit too reactionary perhaps?

If it is that horrible red with white pinstripes kit, then it is vile. We play in red and white stripes.

billy sharp ‏@billysharp10

I believe the kit is launched in around 5 mins,interested to see what u think.I love the away kit.???

56919453-df8a-b7e6.jpg
Edited by The9

Nothing against the handsome chap in the photo, but I hate it even more now.

The sponsor logo looks cheap and tacky.

Agreed, and he's relatively slim. Imagine if you tried to wedge your ample bulk inside that shirt. Urgh.

I can understand now why you were previously so put off by it.