Adkins Poll

Tractor_Saint

Adkins  

819 members have voted

1. 1. Adkins

I really want to see him succeed more than anything. I don't know why he's making these random calls this year, our success has come from keeping it simple and keeping everything consistent. The only thing we've been consistent on this year is conceding and losing heavily.

To be honest, I don't think we have the players to really play the formation he wants. With Ramirez back, it will inject a bit of balance into proceedings but until then we should just go back to basics.

It's very concerning when you start with your 3rd GK of the season, successful and consistent teams don't chop and change the GK. Gazzaniga did nothing wrong against Fulham, and he didn't deserve to be wiped out of the equation.

So, I'm frustrated because I just feel he's so much better than this but you get the sense that he is beginning to become blinded by sheer panic.

yep I agree the pressure (which is probably very different to the pressure of staying at the top of a league) is getting to him I think. I just don't understand the 4-3-3 at any cost mentality when clearly it would be better to play a system our players are happy with.

yep I agree the pressure (which is probably very different to the pressure of staying at the top of a league) is getting to him I think. I just don't understand the 4-3-3 at any cost mentality when clearly it would be better to play a system our players are happy with.

Prefer to see this rather than a change of manager/coach.

Certainly keep the Manager and staff.

I still strongly believe that we will get better and move up the league.

Definitely want 3 points against Spurs to kick start the bus again.

COYS

I hope that Les Reid gets a new job elsewhere....NA would at least have a chance.

Edited by ottery st mary

Certainly keep the Manager and staff.

I still strongly believe that we will get better and move up the league.

Definitely want 3 points against Spurs to kick start the bus again.

COYS

I admire your loyalty, but can you honestly see us getting anything v Spurs? I can't.

I think the dressing room has been lost and we need a change.

I admire your loyalty, but can you honestly see us getting anything v Spurs? I can't.

I think the dressing room has been lost and we need a change.

Yes we will beat Spurs........Staying positive:)

I was a definite Pards fan and was not overly happy with the appointment of NA...but he has proved me wrong..

I will be there to see us beat Spurs and WBA.

As above...NA allowed to get on with it and no one stabbing him in the back.:p

COYS

Very fickle IMO, it's been about two weeks since the last poll.

Individual player errors have let him down badly, more so than any tatical decisions

I think its both; but to be fair he has been completely let down by a poor transfer policy in the summer and a raft of injuries.

That said, I had a facepalm moment when I saw the lineup for yesterday's game.

I think its both; but to be fair he has been completely let down by a poor transfer policy in the summer and a raft of injuries.

I'm not saying he's been flawless but I cant see another manager walking in and being able to do much different. Especially if the formation is a mandate and it will still be the same players walking out each week

I'm not saying he's been flawless but I cant see another manager walking in and being able to do much different. Especially if the formation is a mandate and it will still be the same players walking out each week

Agreed. And he's making do with a squad that is heavy in certain areas and threadbare in others. Silk purses and sow's ears. But I do feel he's compunding that by some questionable tactical and selection errors, which is probably why he's under the cosh right now. I think the dwarf will give him the heave ho; but like you I can't think of an obvious stand-out candidate to adequately replace him.

Dell days has been very supportive of adkins until the fulham game when he made stupid changes again, I feel the same.

I was talking about Delladys attitude toqards Pardew. Why don't we have a poll about Cortese? He seesm to be Adkins biggest problem. People on her have jumped all over previous CEOs for doing far less than this guy. And I don't by the he saved the club so he can do what he wants shtick. We would still be Southampton FC without him. Perhaps playing in a lower league but still in red and white stripes and with a lot more integrity.

I was talking about Delladys attitude toqards Pardew. Why don't we have a poll about Cortese? He seesm to be Adkins biggest problem. People on her have jumped all over previous CEOs for doing far less than this guy. And I don't by the he saved the club so he can do what he wants shtick. We would still be Southampton FC without him. Perhaps playing in a lower league but still in red and white stripes and with a lot more integrity.

We are NOT bringing Rupes back.......No matter what happens.;)

For me, Adkins needs to start concentrating on what WE'RE good at, and not how to counteract the opposition. It's simple, you play you best team every game, he is trying to over complicate matters. You can chop and change when you're Fergie, not when you're newly promoted to the league. Stick to what we're good at and we'll win games of football!

COYS

I hope that Les Reid gets a new job elsewhere....NA would at least have a chance.

Yes we will beat Spurs........Staying positive:)

As above...NA allowed to get on with it and no one stabbing him in the back.:p

COYS

Just in case anyone missed the thrust of your argument I'll draw these two themes together; you really have to wonder if there is an 'agenda' , don't you ?

Out of interest was the 'Fred Gee clone' at the club in a position of influence at the time of NA's appointment ?

Pathetic thread yet again!!

The team and coaching staff are going through a very hard,difficult and poor phase and here

we are showing poor support and loyalty....Shame....

Are we a set of glory hunters unable to accept tough times...

Do we only sing when were winning?

17th and a cup run was always good enough for me in our first season back. Others may have wanted more, but that's enough for me. Depending on how we play the rest of the season, I might even keep Adkins if we go down. Mcmenenemy relegated us before promotion and the cup win.

We've been spoilt by a manager who earned his shot, and has worked his way up through the non-leagues. He has delivered back to back promotions over two seasons at the first time of asking. He has us playing attractive football (if somewhat open).

Yet some on here want him sacked after 8 games. 8. What a ****ing joke. Do people think that is truly a 'fair crack of the whip'. Who should we appoint? Steve Bruce? Mick Mcarthy? Harry dickhead Redknapp (The amnesiacs and Tvvats favourite. Little clue, he was a bungy manager then who didn't give a sh1t, nothing has changed now).

Oh and just because the same posters make 100 different threads on the same subject, does not mean the 'silent majority' want him gone. It just means you're making a circle jerking 'echo chamber' of "sack the manager" that nigh on 70% (comfortably over 2/3) of users who want Adkins to stay on here can't be bothered to get into, beacause you'll just bore them to death by spamming the threads.

Just in case anyone missed the thrust of your argument I'll draw these two themes together; you really have to wonder if there is an 'agenda' , don't you ?

Out of interest was the 'Fred Gee clone' at the club in a position of influence at the time of NA's appointment ?

I said at the very beginning.....keep Sir Les away from first team squad and management....

Not even convinced about this man being at the club let alone between NA and NC.

I do not support the idea of the continental idea of Director of football and Chairman selecting players FOR the Manager /coach.

Less if The Director thinks he is better suited to run the side. AS at Charlton.....believed to be a good coach organiser at youth level...

Remember this is just a personal opinion......but I believe Sir Les should move to that coaching heaven at Burton:rolleyes:

I hope we persevere with NA and he is allowed to get on with sorting out the problems at the back and with MORGAN IN MIDFIELD.

Move Spiderman with Davis TO EITHER SIDE OF a defensive/anchorman.....bring back Cork AND OR SOMEONE TO ALLOW mORGAN TO FIND HIS TRUE POSITION.

COYS

17th and a cup run was always good enough for me in our first season back. Others may have wanted more, but that's enough for me. Depending on how we play the rest of the season, I might even keep Adkins if we go down. Mcmenenemy relegated us before promotion and the cup win.

We've been spoilt by a manager who earned his shot, and has worked his way up through the non-leagues. He has delivered back to back promotions over two seasons at the first time of asking. He has us playing attractive football (if somewhat open).

Yet some on here want him sacked after 8 games. 8. What a ****ing joke. Do people think that is truly a 'fair crack of the whip'. Who should we appoint? Steve Bruce? Mick Mcarthy? Harry dickhead Redknapp (The amnesiacs and Tvvats favourite. Little clue, he was a bungy manager then who didn't give a sh1t, nothing has changed now).

Oh and just because the same posters make 100 different threads on the same subject, does not mean the 'silent majority' want him gone. It just means you're making a circle jerking 'echo chamber' of "sack the manager" that nigh on 70% (comfortably over 2/3) of users who want Adkins to stay on here can't be bothered to get into, beacause you'll just bore them to death by spamming the threads.

Absolutely spot on, he has given us a fantastic couple of years, playing great football on the deck. Tactically yesterday he got it spot on, just poor defensive errors (that obviously we must eradicate) cost us again. He will turn it around, give him a proper chance FFS! In Nigel we trust.

I think the club would be better without Cortese

He seems to upset loads of people and has little knowledge of running a company

I dont even know whether he was a successful banker

Sir John B.....you little tease:D

Maybe he went to the same .anking school of biz as Sir Rupes...:rolleyes:

Bring back Sir Ted Bates to sort out these bankers..

Mind you John....NC came into the club with Markus and some money...

Fear not..Our Nigel, if allowed will see us through to the sunshine at the end of the tunnel.

Keep your chin up matey:)

COYS:p

Absolutely spot on, he has given us a fantastic couple of years, playing great football on the deck. Tactically yesterday he got it spot on, just poor defensive errors (that obviously we must eradicate) cost us again. He will turn it around, give him a proper chance FFS! In Nigel we trust.

The object of football is to win not play pretty football 433 when we dont have the players to play it.

Adkins is a rookie manager and with the players he has had given to him is unlikely to turn it around

Conceeding three goals a game is not going to become conceeding 0 goals a game suddenly

The gifting of a point to Fulham and the total capitulation against West Ham has started me to waver in my support I must admit. He has not helped himself with some of the team selections and whilst individual mistakes cannot be laid at his door the complete shambolic defending as a unit most certainly can be put down to the coaching staff.

I would keep him a little longer with more hope than expectation that he pulls things round. I hpe he does for his sake as well as ours, but my confidence has certainly been knocked a bit.

By the way......Some of you forum boyz and girlz could do with talking to a mate of mine....Sam Aritan..:D

I have his phone number and I am sure he will be most helpful in bringing SOME of yuse out of your clinical depression.:)

I must admit he has had nothing but failure with the bestest of all footer fans down there at Portsmiff..:rolleyes: beyond help in the community with some:lol:

But coz we Saints PEEPS ARE A much classier type of folk..:smug:YOU WILL BE CURED..

coys

To be honest if we're going to change managers better do it now so the new man will have plenty of time to sort the team out than after January when it will be too late. Otherwise stick with NA and hopefully come back stronger in the long run. Look at how Everton are doing now after staying loyal to Moyes.......

By the way......Some of you forum boyz and girlz could do with talking to a mate of mine....Sam Aritan..:D

I have his phone number and I am sure he will be most helpful in bringing SOME of yuse out of your clinical depression.:)

Many just seem to have left a talk by his main competitor, Sue Icidal

I voted for Adkins to stay. The rationale being that since he has had the formation forced on him, that would also apply to any replacement. Few good Managers would sign up for that limitation. Also the players brought in over the summer and the start of the season were probably not his choices. A Manager that cannot decide the formation is not a true Manager. Wenger decided to pursue the 433 - not have it imposed on himself. Mind you that 433 has hardly been a success for Wenger in the Premiership in the past 5+ years.

This just looks like a car crash of a season. One where we know that the inevitable seems to be first Adkins getting fired and then our relegation. Having Les Reed the National coach from the days of hoof ball tactics now dictating a 433 to Adkins is almost surreal. What has Les Reed ever won? What group of world class players winning international trophies did Les Reed create? The answer is none. We have a failure in Les Reed, dictating a 433 onto our promotion winning Manager Adkins. That is why the crash looks inevitable.

This just looks like a car crash of a season. One where we know that the inevitable seems to be first Adkins getting fired and then our relegation. Having Les Reed the National coach from the days of hoof ball tactics now dictating a 433 to Adkins is almost surreal. What has Les Reed ever won? What group of world class players winning international trophies did Les Reed create? The answer is none. We have a failure in Les Reed, dictating a 433 onto our promotion winning Manager Adkins. That is why the crash looks inevitable.

This is true, his recent club football roles include;

Charlton - Came in as "coach" under Dowie in relegation season, takes charge after Dowie is sacked, earns title of worst manager in history in a six game spell before leaving.

Fulham - Coach under Lawrie Sanchez, oversaw the worst side Fulham have had since being in Prem.

Southampton - Not looking good so far.

Big indictment of Cortese that he let someone with such a poor record have any influence at the club.

We must keep him, he is a good manager and will grow into a VERY GOOD Premier League Manager with time.

The only minor issue is that he NEED A DEFENSIVE COACH to assist him, which means that he will have to "change his small club mentality" with hands on everywhere. Saints are a BIG club and in the Premier League, we should not be cutting corners on the coaching staff.

We must keep him, he is a good manager and will grow into a VERY GOOD Premier League Manager with time.

The only minor issue is that he NEED A DEFENSIVE COACH to assist him, which means that he will have to "change his small club mentality" with hands on everywhere. Saints are a BIG club and in the Premier League, we should not be cutting corners on the coaching staff.

Isn't Crosby responsable for the defence? Cos if it's Dean Wilkins we are fooked.

Pathetic thread yet again!!

The team and coaching staff are going through a very hard,difficult and poor phase and here

we are showing poor support and loyalty....Shame....

Are we a set of glory hunters unable to accept tough times...

Do we only sing when were winning?

Well said. None of us know what's going on behind the scenes - the pressure on NA to do things in a certain way? the frustration over him naming a long list of defenders and NC not doing the business? ... and on top of all that to contend with, he now gets his fickle fans turning on him.

MOsaint thanks for more facts on the awful Les Reed. He had been here only a few months before Pardew's role came under threat. Now look at how Pardew is doing wonders with Newcastle. Many of the better players that we have are due to Pardew and not recruits from Reed. Yet Pardew ran recruitment (from a zero base plus youngsters) and the first team.

I have voted to keep him - but I feel less convinced now than i did a few weeks ago. I think Nigel is showing himself to be naive and also pig headed - the defensive problems really do need some action, dropping Lambert is inexplicable, as is the Guly business, as is 4-3-3 and some of his substituions defy belief. i would stick with him - but we really do need to see changes.

Agree with this post. The silent majority however need to speak up. We failed to do so in 2004 and instead of Hoddle being appointed we threw away our 26 year in the top league and allowed the 'lunatics to take over the asylum'

A quick question for those who say we should get rid now.....

Were you saying the same about Lallana 3/4 years ago, when thread after thread on here said that he "shouldn't wear the shirt again" - "he's not good enough for League 1" etc etc etc...??

I suspect many of you were....

Stability and strength of character is what builds successful football clubs. Constant changes - especially of the manager - leads to the power being transferred to the players and all the other negative things already mentioned here ..... large expensive squads etc

Give NA this season and next - wherever we end up at the end of this year. Then we can start to build something for the future.

You see it all the time though. We have had enough managers to know it makes a difference

Remember being terrible when gray was here... WgS came in and turned it around with Paul Williams and Paul telfer in defence... Hardly good players.

Heck, even remember when Adkins came here himself...so many predicted he would not last the season as how could he possibly do better than pardew

It came be done

We can't get much worse and are heading down with no fight already

May as well roll the dice at some point

OK - so take a gamble and get a new manager. Why not try the alternative - take a gamble and stick with the same manager

I would like Nigel to stay as he has shown he can do the job and get us to play some good football. However something has to change and we have all known the defence is our weakness.

Would like us to have a manager for a period of time instead of just a year or 3, like United, Arsenal and Everton.

I would like Nigel to stay as he has shown he can do the job and get us to play some good football. However something has to change and we have all known the defence is our weakness.

Would like us to have a manager for a period of time instead of just a year or 3, like United, Arsenal and Everton.

it is highly unilikely that any manager stays....for more than 3 years....three clubs are an exception

at the end of the day....as it stands, we are going down and will be down by easter.....at the latest

Unless something changes...

Edited by Thedelldays

Depends if it was his fault that we didn't bring in a left back and decent experiences centre back! If not then he can only work with what he has, as we seem to set up well tactically, with technical errors and lack of ability being our downfall for most goals conceded! This includes goals against united, arsenal and city! If we could defend then his decision to take of Adam, punch and Ricky would have been a touch of genius!