Who on here booed Guly when he came on Sunday?

sotonian

I really don't understand why people boo our players, especially when they haven't even got on the pitch. He's been a big part in our promotions, and played our best football last year when he was in the side. Yes he's erratic but he's done nothing wrong this season so far to warrant the abuse he gets from our so called 'fans'

My problem is that our star players never get criticised when they turn in poor performances, yet we boo our average players when they're, well, average.

Put it this way, if kid A was straight A student but started to turn in Ds would you express your disappointment or say unlucky and boo your consistent straight D child when they got home from school?

I think that we all get on some players backs at some time, we all have rights when we pay our money for our tickets, I don't think it helps but we have the right.

Support for the team is paramount at all times and I for one think that if the fans "have a go" at a player then the player will also know he has screwed up so the next tackle or interception is more important, and once he has done that we all move on.

I think that we all get on some players backs at some time, we all have rights when we pay our money for our tickets, I don't think it helps but we have the right.

Support for the team is paramount at all times and I for one think that if the fans "have a go" at a player then the player will also know he has screwed up so the next tackle or interception is more important, and once he has done that we all move on.

Which Pompey players do you boo?

I have never, ever booed the team, or members of, even AFTER a humilating defeat and I know the question is meant in the best possible taste but people can boo if they like. It's up to them so what god given right do I, or anyone else, have to criticise?

You pays yer money, you buy the right.

That said, booing a player when he comes on or makes a mistake is on a level of stupidity right up there with singing 'Papa Waigo always offside' or 'there's only one Chris Baird' after that altercation with Kelvin Davis...

especially as he had a very good game at West Ham IMO.

No doubt the boos were because he was selected to play left midfield whilst the `god-like' Lambert was left on the bench. How dare he. The 4-1 defeat was clearly his fault. In contrast the man that made that decision had his name sung by the masses. Go figure.

maybe they were booing the substitution?

who are you trying kid? I've not seen hatred for a player like there is for Guly. I might be wrong, but I'm not sure even Steve baker got as much stick, and he certainly got it in the neck until he left the club.

Not acceptable to boo Guly. After all, it's not his fault that he's regularly picked to play Premiership football. I suspect he can't believe he's getting away with it either! The whole thing has become like some never ending Ali Dia-esque nightmare.

I've never understood why people boo their own players, it is retarded.

I also don't understand why people get so wound up by it, especially the sensitive nerdy types you get on here. Footballers are very thick skinned and well paid, a few nobheads booing is not going to make them cry. If people want to boo or express their opinion they have every right to do so.

A mate I go with gets wound up and shouts abuse, he thinks that they might put more effort in if they think they will get a hard time if they don't. Not something I agree with.

IMO:

Guly is lazy, ineffective and uninspiring, I can understand why people will boo him and respect peoples right to do so.

I lost respect for Guly as a football player last season (Pompey away) he has not (imo) had a good game since.

I can agree with the ineffective and uninspiring, I don't agree with the lazy. He puts as much effort in as Lallana (and has the same lousy defensive awareness) in my opinion.

But even if you think he's a lazy **** that shouldn't play a minute more for us, why in gods name do you boo the guy for just getting on the pitch?! What are you trying to accomplish? Just cross your fingers and hope he puts in a decent performance and perhaps boo him if he is not putting in the effort but booing in advance is just petty and counterproductive.

I can agree with the ineffective and uninspiring, I don't agree with the lazy. He puts as much effort in as Lallana (and has the same lousy defensive awareness) in my opinion.

But even if you think he's a lazy **** that shouldn't play a minute more for us, why in gods name do you boo the guy for just getting on the pitch?! What are you trying to accomplish? Just cross your fingers and hope he puts in a decent performance and perhaps boo him if he is not putting in the effort but booing in advance is just petty and counterproductive.

sometimes performers need "negative re-inforcement" in order to get the message!

On the topic of booing when Guly comes on - are people really booing Guly or simply booing the decision to bring him on?

At one of my first ever matches I turned to my dad and asked why the Saints’ fans kept booing one of our own players. ‘Every team has a whipping boy, nipper’, he said, ‘and right now Fred Kemp is the Saints’ whipping boy’.

Over the many years since then I’ve come to realise the truth of this and also that once a player adopts this unwanted – and often unwarranted – status, there’s virtually nothing he can do to win those supporters around: Guly could score a hat-trick and then stand outside the stadium handing out his wages to departing fans and there would still be some that would boo him the next match

Usually, the best recourse open to these unfortunate players is to leave the club and, ironically, when they do this they often end up becoming firm favourites at their next club

At one of my first ever matches I turned to my dad and asked why the Saints’ fans kept booing one of our own players. ‘Every team has a whipping boy, nipper’, he said, ‘and right now Fred Kemp is the Saints’ whipping boy’.

Over the many years since then I’ve come to realise the truth of this and also that once a player adopts this unwanted – and often unwarranted – status, there’s virtually nothing he can do to win those supporters around: Guly could score a hat-trick and then stand outside the stadium handing out his wages to departing fans and there would still be some that would boo him the next match

Usually, the best recourse open to these unfortunate players is to leave the club and, ironically, when they do this they often end up becoming firm favourites at their next club

Jimmy Melia was mine but the useless bald headed numpty deserved it :smug:

I really don't get this whole we hate Guly thing. If you watch him, he's actually a very bloody good footballer, first touch occasionally lets him down but played in the correct position he generally does a decent enough job.

He really, really isn't of course, but as per usual I didn't actually boo his unwelcome appearance.

After all, It's hard to boo convincingly with your head buried in your hands.

There is quite a lot of truth in this, there is always a player that the crowd like to taunt. We even used to jeer at Mick Channon in the early days. But the Guly situation has become a little ridiculous with seemingly otherwise intelligent people booing him and insulting him. He has been uninspiring so far this season, really needs a goal to get his confidence back. But what really annoys me is the claim that he is lazy, when it is so obvious that he is anything but, probably covers more ground per minute than anyone apart from Spiderman, and has far more defensive ability than many other players. But mud sticks, and he will always be branded a liability in the box because of the OG. Bottom line though anyone who actually boos a player when he comes on to the pitch is a knob, and sadly we have plenty of those amongst our so-called fan base.

Are you a pompey fan? please PM me to confirm.*

*bear is gay

I just dont think Guly is very good..when was the last time he had a really good game....when was the last time he made a killer pass...or scored...or even had a shot on target...when was the last time he came on and made a real difference..

yes, he comes on and works..but that should be a given.....he is the prime example of a few injuries we have and how weak our bench is at the mo...

sooner Lee, Ramirez and Cork are back..the sooner he surely wont feature

I just dont think Guly is very good..when was the last time he had a really good game....when was the last time he made a killer pass...or scored...or even had a shot on target...when was the last time he came on and made a real difference..

yes, he comes on and works..but that should be a given.....he is the prime example of a few injuries we have and how weak our bench is at the mo...

Every word of the above is fair comment and perfectly true of course. However there's a element on here that will never admit this because they made their minds up a year ago that Guly is great, and any number of subsequent mediocre performances won't change that fixed view one iota.

I call it 'Saganowski Syndrome' - if a player (briefly) performed well in the past, this then guarantees he must be constantly on the verge of recapturing that good form. Unfortunately 'it ain't necessarily true' as the saying has it .....

Prob the same muppets who booed at half time, or spent most of the time standing silent in the Northam.

Those that booed at half time had every right too, they pay a lot of money to watch saints and that first half performance was an insult too the fans.

Losing at half time is one thing, but when the team showed no fight or willto win then booing is justified

I asked these same questions a few weeks back and was told that he played well against Man City...... Imo he really didnt but youre a 'racist' if you dont conform!!

Its no coincidence that our best team performance/result this season (Villa) did not include Guly

What makes me laugh is that a lot of the 'fans' who boo Guly often wax lyrical about Steve De Ridder.

IMO Guly is twice the player De Ridder is. Maybe if he did more aimless running then fans would like him more.

Yeah, his running is clearly far too well targeted on closing down opposition players who have the ball. He's got it all wrong.

Current players I boo are Guly, Clyne and Mayuka

Past players I have booed include Papa Waigo, Antionio, Fuller, Paul Williams, Camara, Monkou, Van Gobbell and Viafara.

I'm sure there are a few out there who actually DO think like that, unfortunately.