Artur Boruc

niemi14

He's a fruitloop but not a rotten apple.

He's just a bit mad.

"Legia supporters still consider Boruc a hero and mobbed him before and after an away game against bottom of the league Wisla Plock - when he wasn't swinging from the railings and belting out club songs, that is.

The Parkhead star flies back home as often as he can and took advantage of a few days off to add his fanatical support to his beloved Legia who are struggling in fourth place in the league"

Oh, and he rescued some woman who was being attacked by a group of men. He ran over and beat the attackers off, and they were forced to flee.

It's a strange one isn't it? He looked too laid back, laughed at his own mistakes, couldn't kick for toffees, but still had the presence of a real goalkeeper. I would put him in against Chelsea definitely. How a professional sportsman can be that fat is a mystery, but you can't deny there is ability in there somewhere. His throwing was top class, and the defence didn't seem too worried about him to be honest.

Have to admit after an appalling first 5 minutes (when our taters were wondering why NA hadn't subbed him) he seemed to grow in confidence and towards the end seemed to have a confidence and stature about him.

His positioning for Walcott's long range shot and the dismissive way he gathered the ball with his entire body in the right place compared to us wondering whether KD would dive the wrong way, let it under his ass etc..

He'll do in goal until we sign a proper PL experienced keeper............

But, to be fair, our set up & performance meant he had naff all to do

Parted I think Iam right in saying that you have a background with top grade keepers,if so who is the best keeper at the club?

Gazzanigga..but he needs a role model here whilst he developes... someone who can still play a bit, Robinson or Frediel would be OK for that.

Failing that..stump up £10m and go for the best available Rui Patricio

Yep, we should drop him, because we've never had a player make a shaky start and then turn out to be really good.

shaky start, nerves..no way!!! that was sheer lack of physical coordination... look at the first two mistakes, his eyes weren't even fixed on the ball.

It was only the defence and midfields hard graft that protected him from further pressure from Arsenal.

Guly was panicked into slashing at a ball that was his..yet there no call...no call from an experienced international keeper FFS.

It's a strange one isn't it? He looked too laid back, laughed at his own mistakes, couldn't kick for toffees, but still had the presence of a real goalkeeper.

I would put him in against Chelsea definitely. How a professional sportsman can be that fat is a mystery, but you can't deny there is ability in there somewhere.

His throwing was top class, and the defence didn't seem too worried about him to be honest.

There might have been some lack of fitness when he first arrived, but the guy is 1' 95 m. tall (6'4") ..you don't expect him to look like a slim line model - do you ?

shaky start, nerves..no way!!! that was sheer lack of physical coordination... look at the first two mistakes, his eyes weren't even fixed on the ball.

It was only the defence and midfields hard graft that protected him from further pressure from Arsenal.

Guly was panicked into slashing at a ball that was his..yet there no call...no call from an experienced international keeper FFS.

What was there to call about, when the ball is coming at you at 60- 70 mph ?

you can do that from a corner, when the ball is travelling a bit slower.....otherwise you go ..or you don't .

It's a strange one isn't it? He looked too laid back, laughed at his own mistakes, couldn't kick for toffees, but still had the presence of a real goalkeeper. I would put him in against Chelsea definitely. How a professional sportsman can be that fat is a mystery, but you can't deny there is ability in there somewhere. His throwing was top class, and the defence didn't seem too worried about him to be honest.

Do you not remember Neville Southall?? Fat sweaty bar steward

Can't see why some rate this guy on the evidence seen so far.

3 games? Cos that is all he has played in about 9 months with no pre-season. The guy is always going to be a bit rusty and we should have been playing him sooner rather than going back to Davis.

A Match-fit Boruc is by far the best keeper we have, hopefully in the coming weeks he will have a chance to prove his class.

3 games? Cos that is all he has played in about 9 months with no pre-season. The guy is always going to be a bit rusty and we should have been playing him sooner rather than going back to Davis.

A Match-fit Boruc is by far the best keeper we have, hopefully in the coming weeks he will have a chance to prove his class.

Match fit or not, he should still be able to catch a routine cross and kick a ball better when under no pressure.

After I got back from the game I watched the game on Sky (being the weirdo I am). I noticed Boruc seemed to spend a lot of time talking to/shouting at himself. I think he may be as daft as a box of kittens with mental issues. + he looks like he should have a set of darts and a pint in his hand. Therefore, all the makings of a cult hero who will take us away from the drop zone....

Actually, no buy Butland quick.......

Thought the first 15 minutes looked very dodgy, although I was in the Itchen North and couldn't gauge what was going on too well.

After that I thought he just got better and better and really dominated the penalty area in the second half, albeit against what must rank the least physical attack we have seen at St. Marys this year. (.....this season, I meant)

If Artur can boss things against Chelsea I reckon we have found the goalkeeper to keep us up this year.

Edited by Gis

Can't see why some rate this guy on the evidence seen so far.

Before last night he'd done 2 games in the last 6-7 months. He's obviously going to be rusty and the initial fumbles were probably a symptom of that.

After those initial blips I thought he looked pretty assured and had a presence about him, something that the best GKs all have.

What most reasonable fans are asking for is to give the guy a chance, you never know - he might turn out to be quite good.

It would be tragic if we let a top class GK slip through our fingers due to impatience - especially when we are so lacking in this department.

Maybe, but my point is that was his third game for the club, is it beyond the realms of possibility that he could get quite a lot better very quickly?

Why is it acceptable that Boruc looked "rusty"? He's had months to settle at the club, to sort his training regime out, and to work hard in training. You don't see other top keepers starting the season by dropping things left right and centre, and having very erratic kicking (on more than one occasion booting the ball straight out of play, on other occasions struggling to clear the halfway line).

Boruc looks a complete shell of the player that made a name for himself at Celtic and on the international stage. With games he'll surely get better (he can't get much worse) but I can't see that it'll be good enough. Not at this level, where you simply can't go on making such basic, numerous errors without getting punished for it.

Our goalkeeping signings have been a failure so far; we need to accept that and get someone in who can do a job. Gazza is one for the future, Boruc looks like one from the past, lets get someone in who can put in consistent top performances from the get go.

Someone described him as a clown, I don't agree with that at all, clowns are supposedly funny, Boruc isn't, he worries tha crap out of me. Whilst KD may not be a prem keeper, he's more capable that Boruc. Aside from his dropped catches, his kicking was woeful, I can recall at least 4 times he kicked it to an Arsenal player, and a couple of times he shanked it into touch, if it had bee KD this place would've gone into meltdown.

KD has been unfairly critised for his performance against Stoke, in the last 10 minutes of that match they played with 4 strickers, all of which are 6' plus & bombarded our box with high balls, yet Boruc struggled against 5'8" Walcott.

Goalkeeper selection no longer comes under the heading of "who is our best keeper", but "who is going to do the least damage", and at the moment that has to be KD, Boruc may have been a decent keeper once, but he isn't anymore & Gazza isn't ready yet.

This.

He needs games,as he is obviously not match fit.

Chelsea game is ideal ....start him on Saturday.

....and for the rest of january.

If he's going to be any real use for us (other than cover) then we need to see him in key games....with the FA Cup game on Saturday..didn't they win it last season?...and then Villa game; Everton and Man.U.

That's a good balance of the key games. If he fouls up every week, then he's not a good choice....and can move on at the end of the season, but we must make a choice... and get it right before Feb. 1st.

...but KD is nearing the end of the road....and Gazzaniga isn't the "real thing " yet ..though he has some skill, he lacks confidence and real match practice that won't cost us points every game.

Edited by david in sweden

Probably thought it amusing to wind the fans up a bit with his first couple of catches (or not). Did what was necessary when it was necessary. Liked his quick throw outs. If he has a decent game gainst Chelsea we my have resolved the problem. Don't forget he's new to these balls. Seem to take a lot of time to adjust to.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Why is it acceptable that Boruc looked "rusty"? He's had months to settle at the club, to sort his training regime out, and to work hard in training. You don't see other top keepers starting the season by dropping things left right and centre, and having very erratic kicking (on more than one occasion booting the ball straight out of play, on other occasions struggling to clear the halfway line).

Boruc looks a complete shell of the player that made a name for himself at Celtic and on the international stage. With games he'll surely get better (he can't get much worse) but I can't see that it'll be good enough. Not at this level, where you simply can't go on making such basic, numerous errors without getting punished for it.

Our goalkeeping signings have been a failure so far; we need to accept that and get someone in who can do a job. Gazza is one for the future, Boruc looks like one from the past, lets get someone in who can put in consistent top performances from the get go.

People have also been saying for weeks now that Boruc has supposedly lost loads of weight. This may have been the case but he still looks too heavy for a modern day premier league player. Even the black shirt doesn't hide the spare tyre tucked under there. It's not professional IMO.

He has been working hard in training, that's why Adkins put him in, he said so himself.

He's played 3 games in the last 9 months, had no pre-season. Many other sub keepers look pretty rusty when they come straight into games, look at Stockdale for Fulham, replaced the injured Schwarzer and was awful against Swansea and cost Fulham the game and he had played a few Championship games.

Even top keepers have like Czech and Reina have made clangers this season.

Boruc deserves a run in the team considering both Gazza and Davis got runs despite making errors in every game.

He has been working hard in training, that's why Adkins put him in, he said so himself.

He's played 3 games in the last 9 months, had no pre-season. Many other sub keepers look pretty rusty when they come straight into games, look at Stockdale for Fulham, replaced the injured Schwarzer and was awful against Swansea and cost Fulham the game and he had played a few Championship games.

Boruc deserves a run in the team considering both Gazza and Davis got runs despite making errors in every game.

This!

He actually managed to play worse than I expected him to. I thought he'd be slow and flappy but I din't expect his kicking to be woeful aswell.

If that had been Białkowski, Gazzaniga or Davis many of you would be saying he should never wear a (specially widened) Saints shirt again. But as many of you are convinced that he must be good because he's an international keeper who's played for big teams in big games you make ridiculous excuses, he's rusty, not match fit yet he's a goalkeeper who's been at the club for 2 months now! I'm sure he's been training.

I've just got back to work after the Xmas break and need re-training on everything. I hope my boss is more forgiving than you lot.

I hope your boss isn't more forgiving. If you need re-training each time you have some holiday, you should be sacked IMO.

With the ease at which he flung the ball to the half way line for Ramirez I'm sure he could launch it easily into the other half with a full throw, stick to that, just kick when he has to.

I think he is the best we have, I know who'd I'd rather challenge in the air or go through on goal against and it isn't Boruc

After a poor start he settled in well and made a few good claims under pressure. Looked assured and did what was required of him. Also worth noting how comfortable the defence looked infront of him.

Our next game may be the one that proves the doubters wrong as he'll undoubtedly be far busier than he was yesterday.

Oh what absolute rubbish there is on this thread. Davis wasn't even good enough for the Championship but a strong defence and the odd brilliant game (Leeds) kept him in the team. Gazza simply isn’t ready to make the move from League 2 to the Premiership. Both made hideous mistakes and have cost us points. I’ve seen them all close up in ‘screamovision’ and I break out in a cold sweat every time I see either of them on the team sheet.

Borac has genuine presence and bags of experience. He started badly but recovered and I thought he looked very solid in the second half. Considering the treatment he received from some of the idiots in the crowd I’m not surprised he was a bit nervous.

He isn’t a machine and hasn’t had the benefit of a decent pre season and Adkins clearly told him to lose weight and get fit before he would be considered. He looked a lot sharper yesterday to when I saw him at West ham and I suspect he will improve rapidly. All players need match time goalies more than anybody.

The defence clearly trust him and whilst his kicking needs work it isn’t that bad and Adkins prefers his keepers to throw the ball out anyway.

Give the guy a chance

We dictated possession for long parts of the game and Boruc was a part of that, his short distribution was excellent. Long kicking was average, first 10 minutes were comical. Looked ok afterwards, be interesting to see how he plays against Chelsea when he may get a bit more work.

Why does he need a pre-season? He's had months here in training to get into shape, fit and sharp.

Compared to the other keepers we have, he does deserve a go. As average as he has been he's no better or worse that our other options. That doesn't affect the point that we should be looking to get someone much better. I don't see enough potential for improvement to justify sticking with him for teh rest of the season.

I like the fact he's mental. The best keepers are, it adds a bit of presence. Yes he was shaky, but he's out of practice and knows the fans aren't right behind him yet. If you're going to slag him off for that, we'll get through a lot of keepers. He has a top class record, he's clearly good, better than we thought we'd sign. So what if he shouted at some fans who were being dicks. We've all been to enough games to realise like any club there's plenty of morons about.

He definitely has more physical presence about him than Kelvin or Bart. No, he's not fat, just a big guy which is more imposing for a keeper. Most of all, rotating all the time and having 3 or 4 keepers just cries out relegation. Sticking with Boruc for the rest of the season and supporting him is our best chance, even if he makes a few mistakes.

I do think there is something in the out of practice/match sharpness thing.

But seriously, those two dropped catches were ridiculous. A professional, keeper should be catching those in his sleep.

At the moment, he's the best choice we have for the GK spot. I've said it for a while now. Davis sadly isn't good enough, and PG the same, the latter needs a loan spell to learn his trade a bit more.

He had an awful first 10 minutes, but that was just rustiness, his distribution from hand was superb, not from foot though (Seems to be a recurring theme with us having goalie's who can't kick!). Give him a few games and I think we'll be ok.

I thought he did well to recover from his early mistakes, especially in front of his beloved Chappel. Would KD or Gazza had the mental ability to recover from those and produce a half-decent display?

Why does he need a pre-season? He's had months here in training to get into shape, fit and sharp.

Compared to the other keepers we have, he does deserve a go. As average as he has been he's no better or worse that our other options. That doesn't affect the point that we should be looking to get someone much better. I don't see enough potential for improvement to justify sticking with him for teh rest of the season.

Because pre-season is where you get lots of time to do fitness work, whereas you have far less time during the season because of the matches and match preparation training.

So essentially you write him off on 3 appearances :rolleyes:

Based on that logic Yoshida (Probably MOM yesterday) should be nowhere near the team.

Because pre-season is where you get lots of time to do fitness work, whereas you have far less time during the season because of the matches and match preparation training.

Based on that logic Yoshida (Probably MOM yesterday) should be nowhere near the team.

He's been here since September. Yes he hasn't had many real meaningful games but no reason at all for him not to be fit and sharp.

Yoshida? what's he got to do with it? apart from when he played LB and RB he was an instant improvement on what we already had.

Are you really saying that, after it was identified by the coaching staff that Boruc had fitness issues and was put on a weight-loss programme (which he hasn't yet got close to the targets set) that he couldn't have done that since he arrived? That he could only do his fitness work in pre-season? That he couldn't have done extra fitness sessions in the past 3 months? Seems a strage sort of logic to me.

And yes, I'm making a decision on him after 3 games. Doesn't seem to different from your opinion of writing off Gazzaniga in favour of Boruc after you've only seen Boruc play 3 times and Gazzaniga single figures too :pointlessrollyeyething:

Oh what absolute rubbish there is on this thread. Davis wasn't even good enough for the Championship but a strong defence and the odd brilliant game (Leeds) kept him in the team. Gazza simply isn’t ready to make the move from League 2 to the Premiership. Both made hideous mistakes and have cost us points. I’ve seen them all close up in ‘screamovision’ and I break out in a cold sweat every time I see either of them on the team sheet.

Borac has genuine presence and bags of experience. He started badly but recovered and I thought he looked very solid in the second half. Considering the treatment he received from some of the idiots in the crowd I’m not surprised he was a bit nervous.

He isn’t a machine and hasn’t had the benefit of a decent pre season and Adkins clearly told him to lose weight and get fit before he would be considered. He looked a lot sharper yesterday to when I saw him at West ham and I suspect he will improve rapidly. All players need match time goalies more than anybody.

The defence clearly trust him and whilst his kicking needs work it isn’t that bad and Adkins prefers his keepers to throw the ball out anyway.

Give the guy a chance

This for me...

Boruc in Saturday and thereafter...NOT much else to go with at the moment.

He's been here since September. Yes he hasn't had many real meaningful games but no reason at all for him not to be fit and sharp.

We've also had a number of development squad games since then too. If Boruc's "rustyness" is down to not playing games then perhaps tajjuk should be looking to blame NA for not using Boruc in those sorts of games before blooding him in the first team.

As you rightly say, at this stage of the season and having been here for so long there is no excuse for any player to be so out of shape and lacking in sharpness.