Is it okay for Saints players to dive and cheat?

the stain

Watched it several times now......not convinced he was trying to con the ref - he saw the tackle coming and pulled his leg out of the way which as his weight was not centered on the other foot caused him to go down. For me, Jay Rod's reaction at the penalty award is telling. He looks totally confused, so he must be a very good actor if he can hide his delight at 'conning' the ref.

So simple mistake by Mark Halsey, 3 points and can sleep easy tonight.

Having now watched it myself several times, I can well see that it can easily be seen as a dive, as there was no contact. But because I'm naturally biased in favour of our player and he doesn't have a reputation for diving (although he will begin to get one now), I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and go along with this explanation. I'd certainly feel aggrieved if I were a Villa fan, but as I'm not, frankly I couldn't give a damn.

BBC Radio Solent are led to understand (I guess from talking to the officials) the penalty was for the foul on Puncheon by Guzan. The referee played advantage to see if Saints would score, the Rodriguez "incident" then happened, Saints hadn't scored so he brought it back for the original foul and gave a penalty.

Interesting. At the time I thought the pen was for that, but it seemed ok from the replay. MOTD will be worth the watch later on.

BBC Radio Solent are led to understand (I guess from talking to the officials) the penalty was for the foul on Puncheon by Guzan. The referee played advantage to see if Saints would score, the Rodriguez "incident" then happened, Saints hadn't scored so he brought it back for the original foul and gave a penalty.

5 live (606) just contradicted that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5x18vCdoNg (for however long they leave it up)

As others have said, looks like both "no foul" and "no dive". He went to ground but wasn't selling a foul. I agree its likely he pulled his right foot away to avoid the tackle after he had played the ball, which caused him to fall. (If that was a dive Adam needs to take him aside and teach him how to jump and arch the back, then roll on the ground after.)

On the other side, Villa was somewhat lucky to end the match with 11 men after the fouls on Ramirez and Yoshi.

On the other side, Villa was somewhat lucky to end the match with 11 men after the fouls on Ramirez and Yoshi.

The 'tackle' on Ramirez was a borderline straight-red (over the ball, studs up, knee high) but Halsey didn't even pull out a yellow.

The fact that the ball was arguably out of play is irrelevant when it comes to potential leg-breakers like that.

The 'tackle' on Ramirez was a borderline straight-red (over the ball, studs up, knee high) but Halsey didn't even pull out a yellow.

The fact that the ball was arguably out of play is irrelevant when it comes to potential leg-breakers like that.

There was another really nasty-looking one on Cork right near the end, but because he didn't go down and just got on with it, the ref didn't even give the free kick despite being right in front of it when it happened.

No way was JR 'diving' to get a pen; the man came from behind another one - he was obviously just trying to avoid being clobbered. The fact is, had he left his foot there he very likely could have had a bad injury and it would have been a penalty because the AV player kicked him and he had taken the ball away. So actually I think the ref got it right, even if his reasons were wrong.

If he deliberately dived to try and con the referee then why can he be seen afterwards saying to the ref "He didn't touch me" and looking quite embarrassed that it's been given?

For me there is a clear distinction here from the kind of cynical playacting you expect from somebody like Suarez for example.

^ This

Even my Villa supporting mate agreed, it was not a dive. Rodriguez loses his footing under a challenge and did not make ANY attempt to appeal or claim it as a penalty. I don't think it was a penalty either but today, unlike other days, we got the rub of the green so I figure we should take it with good grace and accept that next week it may well be us who are on the end of a dodgy decision (Turnbull's handball in the Chelsea game anybody?) ...

Don't be so quick to criticise you bunch of bed wetters, would you hear manure or liverpool or any other supporters moan about getting 3 points by foul means.

ffs man up!

Agreed. Won't be crying about it if we stay up by a point, that's for certain"

It's about time we got a little luck with poor referring considering we've been on the end of plenty this season, such as:

Disallowed goal vs Fulham at home, which would have put us 2-0 up. Their keeper was never fouled.

Penalty denied vs Swansea.

Ramirez disallowed goal vs Arsenal.

It's not something I like to see but Villa fans wouldn't have cared if it was Benteke diving to win a penalty if it meant they got the three points.

I get no pleasure from any saints player cheating /diving. I don't thin J rod did either today

He dived, probably an instinctual decision as he saw the player lunging into a tackle and faked a reaction. It happens and we were lucky today.

No way was JR 'diving' to get a pen; the man came from behind another one - he was obviously just trying to avoid being clobbered. The fact is, had he left his foot there he very likely could have had a bad injury and it would have been a penalty because the AV player kicked him and he had taken the ball away. So actually I think the ref got it right, even if his reasons were wrong.

The wording of the relevant law is 'trip, or attempt to trip'

We can rule out the fact he was physically knocked off his feet as there's clearly no contact. He may have been unbalanced by anticipating a lunging tackle by falling over to avoid it. Or as most likely and most players are coached to, made it look like a foul.

I cannot believe that we are trying to crucify JRod for a split-second moment that got us three points against a relegation rival. My opinion is that it was not a dive. Others may disagree but how self-righteous are some on here?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

No-one is trying to crucify him, get a grip. Just pointing out that he won a penalty by diving/exaggerating a challenge; it happens all the time in football, so its a bit hypocritical to condemn others for it yet brush it under the carpet when we think one of our own players does it.

No-one is trying to crucify him, get a grip. Just pointing out that he won a penalty by diving/exaggerating a challenge; it happens all the time in football, so its a bit hypocritical to condemn others for it yet brush it under the carpet when we think one of our own players does it.

"It happens all the time in football". So why threads and posts condemning him if he was doing what is the norm?

"It happens all the time in football". So why threads and posts condemning him if he was doing what is the norm?

Because when it happens with other players it also gets condemned. Do I really have to explain that? Diving = bad, whoever does it.

This is one thread devoted to a game today where we won by a controversial penalty. I don't think there's a "get Rodriguez out of football" campaign on the back of it, if I'm honest.

Adkins' comments on the dive are that he condones cheating on the grounds (1) that in other games there were fouls for which a free kick was not awarded, and (2) that although there was no contact there would have been if J-Rod had not moved his leg out of the way. New concept that, non-contact fouls! No wonder that cheating is so rife in the game with this attitude by managers, because you can guarantee that Adkins is not alone in failing to condemn cheating as long as its by his team's players. Football is seriously sick.

Adkins' comments on the dive are that he condones cheating on the grounds (1) that in other games there were fouls for which a free kick was not awarded, and (2) that although there was no contact there would have been if J-Rod had not moved his leg out of the way. New concept that, non-contact fouls! No wonder that cheating is so rife in the game with this attitude by managers, because you can guarantee that Adkins is not alone in failing to condemn cheating as long as its by his team's players. Football is seriously sick.

But Jay Rod DID NOT CHEAT.....FFS

i don't think he dived as in cheating

Indeed....snooker analogy.... Rodriguez did the equivalent of nudging a ball with his sleeve which the referee didn't see. People are comparing that with a player intentionally moving a ball with their hand whilst the referee wasn't looking.

The forum police have spoken....he did.

Jesus, how paranoid do you have to be to think that someone who holds a different view to your own is "the forum police" or other such ludicrous terms? You don't think he dived; fine. Others do; also fine. Most odd.

Jesus, how paranoid do you have to be to think that someone who holds a different view to your own is "the forum police" or other such ludicrous terms? You don't think he dived; fine. Others do; also fine. Most odd.

And some people think that those who didn't think he "cheated" are bonkers...

This from the person who was rigidly questioning me because my opinion was different from his!!

Jay Rod did not cheat....

Suggest peeps watch the film more closely...

I've watched it, and its a dive pure and simple. The notion that he was trying to avoid some horrific injury is ridiculous, the challenge was hardly forceful. A small movement towards the ball by the defender followed by j-rod falling over thin air ... In other words a dive.

I've watched it, and its a dive pure and simple. The notion that he was trying to avoid some horrific injury is ridiculous, the challenge was hardly forceful. A small movement towards the ball by the defender followed by j-rod falling over thin air ... In other words a dive.

Correct.