Is it okay for Saints players to dive and cheat?

the stain

Nope.

Cheating is wrong and needs to be stamped out. I think as others have mentioned there needs to be rules brought in to prevent it. If you dive a video panel should review it and give out suspensions/fines if guilty. Three match bans will encourage managers to stamp it out in their teams.

I hope Adkins has a go at Jay Rod for that and tells him to stop or he wont play.

Nope.

Cheating is wrong and needs to be stamped out. I think as others have mentioned there needs to be rules brought in to prevent it. If you dive a video panel should review it and give out suspensions/fines if guilty. Three match bans will encourage managers to stamp it out in their teams.

I hope Adkins has a go at Jay Rod for that and tells him to stop or he wont play.

NA condemned diving in his interview with Sky; then justified it by saying we've had 7 or 8 stonewall penalties not given in other games and had a big beaming smile describing how lambert put it away. Would have been better off just saying "yes, it was a dive, and we don't condone that".

Lambert when interviewed said it was a stonewall penalty!

Rodriguez dived, the only question for me is did he dive to win a penalty or to get out of the way of what looked a shocking tackle, and penalty's are given for intent. Was Rodriguez supposed to stand and take a possible leg breaking tackle? I can see both sides to this argument, I don't like to see us win by cheating, but for me the tackle had intent & was high. Anyway how many times this season have we had poor decisions against us clear pens not given, maybe over the season we've earned our bit of luck today.

Until the authorities decide to bring in retrospective penalties for cheating nothing will change. This however would be a difficult decision for any board retrospectively.

I've not seen it yet but if this were the case, then I don't see why it wasn't a valid penalty, afterall players can be booked and even sent off for dangerous challenges that make no contact and in every case a free-kick would be given outside the area.

Saints players do not dive...

I see the Pompey gang up in arms..

No doubt will be complaining to the Premier league..

Same posts..not present when we have non penalties given against us...

Same posts not present when we have clear penalties not given to us...

Referee needs to up their game ...

Fair play my ARRRRRSE....Not sure some of our posters support our team..

Fair p[lay.......You are having a Larf.......Do you want the game replayed FFS

COYS

Edited by ottery st mary

I've not seen it yet but if this were the case, then I don't see why it wasn't a valid penalty, afterall players can be booked and even sent off for dangerous challenges that make no contact and in every case a free-kick would be given outside the area.

I suggest you wait until you see it before passing comment; it was a clear dive. You don't try to avoid a tackle by suddenly pulling your leg back and falling over in dramatic style.

Oh right. Was he shot down by a sniper? Or did he slip?

Please don't say he was trying to avoid the challenge. It was as blatant a dive as you'll ever see.

So how exactly could he have avoided the challenge AND stayed on his feet?

Or are you saying he should have let the defender hit his foot?

It definitely wasn`t a penalty but I don`t think that it was a dive either. If exactly the same incident had happened outside the area and nothing was given nobody would have said anything and just got on with the game, probably without a free-kick being given. It was the ref who was wrong, not Rodrigues. It seems that if the ref awards a penalty when there is no contact, it must be a dive. IMHO it wasn`t

So how exactly could he have avoided the challenge AND stayed on his feet?

Or are you saying he should have let the defender hit his foot?

You make it sound like it was a wild and reckless lunge from the defender. The defender even stopped his leg somewhat, Rodriguez would have just run past him had he not gone down. He wouldn't have even needed to hurdle the challenge, and he probably wouldn't have been kicked by the defender, at the very worst it would have been a light tap from the defender's outstretched foot so hardly a dangerous lunge worthy of jumping out of the way of.

Edited by The Kraken

it was a dive.....I just love the way fans are completely biased...it what makes football what it is..

his right leg "gave way" under his own weight as if he was taken out....it was a reactionary thing but a dive regardless

ask yourselves..what would your reaction be if benteke did they same the other end and we lost 1-0..?

Contact wasn't made but it certainly would have been had JRod not avoiuded it. Don't think he was trying to con the ref. Don't think it was a pen or an intentional dive.

Just wished it had happened at Old Trafford in a few weeks to give us a 1-0 win and send Fergie into an apoplexic fit!!

it was a dive.....I just love the way fans are completely biased...it what makes football what it is..

his right leg "gave way" under his own weight as if he was taken out....it was a reactionary thing but a dive regardless

ask yourselves..what would your reaction be if benteke did they same the other end and we lost 1-0..?

Well it is all about opinions as they say. Having watch the game on line and watching the incident 5 or 6 time when it was replayed I still don`t think that it was a dive. That is nothing to do with being biased....it is my opinion. If it was an obvious dive, I would say so, but it seems that those that say it was a dive are correct in their opinions and those that say it wasn`t are just being biased......Hey Ho.....

Well it is all about opinions as they say. Having watch the game on line and watching the incident 5 or 6 time when it was replayed I still don`t think that it was a dive. That is nothing to do with being biased....it is my opinion. If it was an obvious dive, I would say so, but it seems that those that say it was a dive are correct in their opinions and those that say it wasn`t are just being biased......Hey Ho.....

Just so as to understand it better; if it wasn't a dive, what was it in your opinion that caused Rodriguez to go to ground in such dramatic fashion?

A pretty soft penalty, Halsey gave it, Mayuka was pushed over and Webb didn't give it, Dean gave Chelsea one for a ball hitting Davis in the stomach, so as far as I am concerned, tough on us now tough on Villa. I believe in technology to review these decisions but as long as the laws don't allow it, this is what happens

If Saints ended up in the relegation zone (like Villa now are) as a result of the opposition winning a penalty through a dive, I'd be furious.

You've only got to go back a match or two to when a poor refereeing decision deprived us of two points because Ramirez's perfectly good goal against Arsenal was disallowed.

Therefore, if this penalty award was wrong (and not having seen it I can't comment either way) then the situation has evened itself out.

I'm pretty sure that we have lost points this season because of dubious refereeing situations that have gone against us because of other team's players feigning fouls and I have been an advocate of us becoming a bit cuter ourselves in response. I loathe and detest this type of cheating, but don't see why we should suffer the possibility of relegation just because we have been too honest and allowed cheats to enable our rivals to prosper at our expense.

If he deliberately dived to try and con the referee then why can he be seen afterwards saying to the ref "He didn't touch me" and looking quite embarrassed that it's been given?

For me there is a clear distinction here from the kind of cynical playacting you expect from somebody like Suarez for example.

You've only got to go back a match or two to when a poor refereeing decision deprived us of two points because Ramirez's perfectly good goal against Arsenal was disallowed.

Therefore, if this penalty award was wrong (and not having seen it I can't comment either way) then the situation has evened itself out.

I'm pretty sure that we have lost points this season because of dubious refereeing situations that have gone against us because of other team's players feigning fouls and I have been an advocate of us becoming a bit cuter ourselves in response. I loathe and detest this type of cheating, but don't see why we should suffer the possibility of relegation just because we have been too honest and allowed cheats to enable our rivals to prosper at our expense.

Not according to most independent pundits who stated that it was a push by Ramirez and rightly chalked off.

OK so in your world players only go to ground if it is a fair tackle, a foul or a dive and for no other reason?

I'm asking why you think he ended up on the floor. Was it a slip? Did he hurdle him and lose his balance? Did he half dive and half try to avoid the challenge?

Its your opinion it wasn't a dive; I'm just trying to understand why you think that. fair enough if you don't want to answer it, just thought I'd ask.

Not according to most independent pundits who stated that it was a push by Ramirez and rightly chalked off.

Pundits are just as capable of getting it wrong as referees. On Match of the Day, the ex-striker Dublin thought it was correctly disallowed, whereas the ex-defender Lawrenson stated that never in a million years was it a foul and that the defender went over like a leaf in the wind or words to that effect.

Did you actually see it?

Many times. There was definitely a nudge by Ramirez which caused the defender to lose balance. I can see why it was given, though I thought it was harsh at the time. One of the ones that you say "seen them given"; had it been at the other end I think I'd have considered ourselves fortunate but likely accepted that it was probably a foul.

Pundits are just as capable of getting it wrong as referees. On Match of the Day, the ex-striker Dublin thought it was correctly disallowed, whereas the ex-defender Lawrenson stated that never in a million years was it a foul and that the defender went over like a leaf in the wind or words to that effect.

Indeed. MOTD2 (think it was Shearer and Savage) both said it was a foul. So enough grey area to say that it perhaps wasn't a "perfectly good goal", there was certainly enough doubt for it to not be given, as backed up by the pundits and newspaper reporters on Sunday.

Nigel Adkins' take on it:

"For me there is no contact with the player but the referee has a decision to make. All we can do at our place is make sure the players are not diving.

"We expect the players to behave properly, it is not a dive from Jay Rodriguez, there was no contact, but if the player had not moved his leg away, there would have been contact."

Not sure if I agree, but fair enough.

How many times does Rickie get fouled each game and nothing is given? About time a bit of luck went our way.

exactly, how many pennos have we not been awarded this season which were pretty clear cut....no, no one likes players diving but as everybody else is being streetwise, we either get up to speed or down we go....take your pick....

Indeed. MOTD2 (think it was Shearer and Savage) both said it was a foul. So enough grey area to say that it perhaps wasn't a "perfectly good goal", there was certainly enough doubt for it to not be given, as backed up by the pundits and newspaper reporters on Sunday.

Now, I thought that where there was doubt about such a decision, then the benefit of the doubt should go to the striker. But of course, that is naive of me. When there is any doubt, the benefit should always go to the glory team.

Ramirez got chopped in half one game...after rounding the player....clear penalty...

Not given......:rolleyes:

Could have throttled the ref..

Swansea game?

Memory going ...fellow Hockey supporters..

Mind you Claus cut Henry in half in the first minute of final.....2003..Did I breath a sign of relief;)

Now, I thought that where there was doubt about such a decision, then the benefit of the doubt should go to the striker. But of course, that is naive of me. When there is any doubt, the benefit should always go to the glory team.

That's just for offsides, Wes.

Watched it several times now......not convinced he was trying to con the ref - he saw the tackle coming and pulled his leg out of the way which as his weight was not centered on the other foot caused him to go down. For me, Jay Rod's reaction at the penalty award is telling. He looks totally confused, so he must be a very good actor if he can hide his delight at 'conning' the ref.

So simple mistake by Mark Halsey, 3 points and can sleep easy tonight.

It's unacceptable for any player to cheat/dive.

Not being at the game an just checking updates on my phone, I was buzzing when seeing the final result. I still am delighted, but after seeing the highlights, it's left a sour taste in my mouth. Villa had more than enough chances to win the game, but was it a penalty, never in a million years. Anyone who genuinely thinks it was either hasn't seen it, or is just a moron.

I wonder if the same fickle fans that boo'd Guly for not always setting the world alight, will now boo Rodriguez for blatant cheating?

BBC Radio Solent are led to understand (I guess from talking to the officials) the penalty was for the foul on Puncheon by Guzan. The referee played advantage to see if Saints would score, the Rodriguez "incident" then happened, Saints hadn't scored so he brought it back for the original foul and gave a penalty.