Saints only club in PL without undersoil heating

once_bitterne

Yes, but as the article indicates, we may lose nearly 500K in TV revenue if the match is postponed. Its not a trivial amount.

I thought the necessary pipe-work/heating elements were put in place, but they simply werent connected up to the required heating source (guess whose bright idea that was...) ? How difficult must it be to really get going ?

Yes, but as the article indicates, we may lose nearly 500K in TV revenue if the match is postponed. Its not a trivial amount.

I thought the necessary pipe-work/heating elements were put in place, but they simply werent connected up to the required heating source (guess whose bright idea that was...) ? How difficult must it be to really get going ?

This has been done to death.

If the weather actually gets so cold it freezes the pitch, the game would already be called off because weather that cold would make the roads/pavements too treacherous to allow the game to go ahead anyway.

So not having u/soil heating is a perfectly good idea.

So shut up.

Why must you always be so negative it must make life really depressing!

Yes 500K would be nice but I'm sure it would have cost as that much to install and run the heating for 12 years during which time it wouldn't have saved a single fixture so all that money would have been burnt for nothing and even now your moaning about a hyperthetical situation the game has not been called of and looking at the weather forcast for Southampton (ignoring the rest of the country!) it won't be.

Get back in your box.

Often games are called off despite the pitch being ok, when there is snow (versus just cold temp). Stairways and so on are lethal. Very hard to control that

There was that game up at Newcastle (New Year's Day?) when all the Saints coaches and supporters got there only for the locals to call it off.

This has been done to death.

If the weather actually gets so cold it freezes the pitch, the game would already be called off because weather that cold would make the roads/pavements too treacherous to allow the game to go ahead anyway.

So not having u/soil heating is a perfectly good idea.

So shut up.

Who are you telling to shut up ? I didnt write the article or start the thread.

Why must you always be so negative it must make life really depressing!

Yes 500K would be nice but I'm sure it would have cost as that much to install and run the heating for 12 years during which time it wouldn't have saved a single fixture so all that money would have been burnt for nothing and even now your moaning about a hyperthetical situation the game has not been called of and looking at the weather forcast for Southampton (ignoring the rest of the country!) it won't be.

Get back in your box.

Why would it have been run all that time ?

"Yes, 500K would be nice". This is superb. It just goes to show too many people are playing FM on here.... 500K is nearly a whole home game's revenue. Its a significant slice of the clubs turnover..

It seems to have escaped the attention of some that this is an internet forum where people can express their opinions. If others don't like them, or disagree with them, then they should either ignore them or indulge in some debate.

It's a bit juvenile telling them to shut up.

It seems to have escaped the attention of some that this is an internet forum where people can express their opinions. If others don't like them, or disagree with them, then they should either ignore them or indulge in some debate.

It's a bit juvenile telling them to shut up.

Shut up.

When the stadium was being built, I did a visit and I asked about underground heating and I was told that it was not being put in as it was expensive and was not really needed as instances of games being called off in Southampton because of a frozen pitch were very few and far between. I suppose that this has been proved correct.

Incapable of intelligent debate, so has to indulge in juvenile playground insults.

I've said all that needs to be said on the open and shut case of whether or not we need undersoil heating.

Turns out we don't.

I notice you aren't debating this issue but simply commenting about me. Which if you want to do that, be my guest.

I always regarded CB as one of the wittiest and cutting of posters on here, but hes been well-below par recently.

Hope all is OK with you, fella. :)

Well, I am tired. I have a five day old and a five year old to deal with at the moment while mum revovers from a c section.

You can tell they are all asleep/at school now because I am relaxing by mocking Wes Tender with cheap gags.

Never short of something to whine about are you, zzzzzz

Initially my first thought was absolute disbelief that having built a supposed state of the art stadium that we would be the only club in the Premiership without undersoil heating. On the face of it, I could quite understand the suggestion that it had been incorporated but not connected by Lowe because we couldn't afford the expense. But that wouldn't ring true with Cortese in charge.

But then it has been pointed out that since we have been at St Mary's, it has not been required, because weather conditions have not been severe enough and our proximity to the river has given us a micro-climate effect. Apparently even the example quoted of the cancelled Huddersfield match was incorrect.

Anyway, it's Friday morning and the match is Monday night, so plenty of time for the conditions to change. So it seems that this is the usual crap reporting regarding us, where the journo gets the wrong end of the stick because they are not in possession of the up to date facts and therefore they rely on rumour and conjecture instead to fill up column inches with fiction.

Well, I am tired. I have a five day old and a five year old to deal with at the moment while mum revovers from a c section.

You can tell they are all asleep/at school now because I am relaxing by mocking Wes Tender with cheap gags.

cheap gags? Must have missed them.

Been there, mate. It doesnt help now, I am sure, but give it a few months any you will be laughing.

Congratulations to you and Mum, btw.

Rain Snow Ice always brings out the will the game be on question. As already has been said we have lost 2 games at SMS in its history, only one for pitch condition. From what I understand the pitch piping system which could handle a monsoon downpour on 8" of rain per hour was not connected as the drains around the stadium were not up to the drainage system.

They will have covered the pitch if they knew this snow was going to last until Monday, but if the pitch is not frozen anyone who went to Birmingham last season knows the game will be on right up to the very last minute, Newcastle a few years back, also on TV, shows that.

What a non-story. Can someone with twitter please inform the journo that no match at SMS has ever been postponed due to a frozen pitch. The Huddersfield match he references was called off due to icy pavements and terraces.

I expect to see a full apology in the Express in the very near future! ;)

I reckon the mum needs a medal.

A 5 year old, 5 day old and CB Fry to contend with. i wonder who is the most attention seeking out of those 3 ??? :-) :-)

Congrats by the way!!